PDA

View Full Version : Xpud

Notavirusalso
13th November 2010, 22:20
Any one with the time and initiative might want to try out this little O.S. works on most machines but does have problems with some wireless devices.
Runs from a usb stick and works fine on our Acer 1 with wifi and our other 2 pcs one wired and one with usb wifi but no wifi on the msi wind.
Super fast and secure if you use your machine just for mostly browsing

sars_notd_virus
13th November 2010, 22:23
Oh yes love I agree it works faster :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
13th November 2010, 22:24
i was gonna say, do you take it in turns to use the pc :Erm:

Notavirusalso
13th November 2010, 22:27
i was gonna say, do you take it in turns to use the pc :Erm:

Nah I'm allowed to use one when ever I'm allowed :xxaction-smiley-047
or when it needs fixing

somebody
14th November 2010, 14:33
Seen a few people use this at work, but not tried myself. looks like a good project and I hope it keeps going. Found with Linux Wireless drivers are the biggest headaches:furious3:

Intresting for many BritPhill Users many of the major requirements are there with skype, dropbox, a browser and open office would be nice if pigdin works (IM app) May have a butchers this afternoon:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Possibly we should make the Phill UK forum version optimized for those in LDR or OFW mode:Erm:

Ie a lightweight os for communicating??

Terpe
14th November 2010, 19:43
Nothing to do with potatoes then :doh

somebody
14th November 2010, 21:26
Nothing to do with potatoes then :doh

E Spuds:D

KeithD
15th November 2010, 11:02
I wouldn't eat XXXspuds.... I don't know where they've been :rolleyes:

somebody
15th November 2010, 23:02
Ran today worked very well i had added all the addons and the usb stick i stuck in an old test pc i used was picked up straight away once the boot order was changed in the Bios. Was a little un predictable and didn't seem to like to multi task to much but will play around with another day.

Reminds me of portable apps (http://portableapps.com/)

Notavirusalso
16th November 2010, 22:43
Ran today worked very well i had added all the addons and the usb stick i stuck in an old test pc i used was picked up straight away once the boot order was changed in the Bios. Was a little un predictable and didn't seem to like to multi task to much but will play around with another day.

Reminds me of portable apps (http://portableapps.com/)

thanks, yes I should of mentioned about changing the boot order, I haven't tried multitasking with it as I only use it as a browser which I believe was the Intention of this small OS also Skype is available as an extra.
Found it ran faster from the flash drive than loading on the Hard Drive,
Another OS to watch out for is Google's own called chrome os

Notavirusalso
16th November 2010, 22:46
for those interested pendrrivelinux.com is an excellent site for information on this subject

somebody
17th November 2010, 00:08
Many of our Drives will soon be Flash Drive I already use on my Worklaptop as of course I need the fast boot up etc honest:D Many of the new os's including Win 7 work well with SSD

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-solid-state-drives-ssd,7717.html

Had a quick play today and it appears very much to be one app at a time as you say but thats fine as such a thin build.