PDA

View Full Version : How to register marriage in british embassy phil?

mariagolda
19th November 2010, 03:48
Hi everyone!!!i just want to ask anyone knows how to register marriage in british embassy.what documents needed?my husband and i known each other for more than 3 years and we decided to get married last june 27,2009. soon giving birth to our soon next year. any step by step procedure? any help will be much appreciated.thank you

Terpe
19th November 2010, 07:08
:Hellooo: Hi mariagolda, welcome to the forum :Wave:
More members will be online soon to help.

mhaedonald
19th November 2010, 08:20
hi are u also going to change ur passport surname?coz thats what i did last august i change my surname and same time report marriage...if thats what u want to do i know how but if only report of marriage alone, i dont know.... anyway check their website

http://philembassy-uk.org/consular_PassportInformation.html:)

sars_notd_virus
19th November 2010, 09:16
hello mariagolda welcome here

It is not compulsary to register your marriage in the Philippines with the British Embassy or in the Uk, but you or your husband can ''deposit'' a copy of your NSO marriage license with the General Register Office(UK) ...they will keep it as an official record so u can easily get a copy when u need it in the future.

mariagolda
20th November 2010, 12:18
@mhaedonald yes the only thing i need to change is my surname in the passport and every documents here in the Philippines regarding my status are done.
@sar_notd_virus so just the authenticated marriage certificate from the NSo that i need to send to my husband?My husband told me he is still single in British law so what we will do with that?
Thanks everyone for helping !!!!!

mariagolda
22nd November 2010, 06:35
Thank you for the info!!!

mariagolda
22nd November 2010, 06:41
By the way , forgot something ...i dont intend to live in UK just nice being here in my own country but we have plans to visit his folks in the near future.Just want to ask again that in British law he is still single just only here that he is married. Is it by way of depositing the "NSO marriage certificate in the GRO(UK) will change his status.Just want everything to be in a legal way.

DaveUK
22nd November 2010, 08:41
In the eyes of the UK Government, if your British husband/wife marries in another country, then they are legally married. They do not need to register the marriage in the UK.

Hope this helps :-)

Terpe
22nd November 2010, 09:15
mariagolda

sars and DaveUK are correct.

The UK recognises marraiges in Phils
You husband is legally married -- not single

Further information can be found here:-

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/births-deaths-marriages-civil/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/

This is the paragraph relevant to your question

"Can I register an overseas marriage in the UK when I return?
No, but you can have your marriage documents deposited with the General Register Office (GRO).

This isn’t compulsory, but it means your marriage certificate is kept by the GRO as an official record and you will be able to easily get copies of it in the future.

We can deposit marriage documents for you.

Please note: you’ll need to get your documents translated if they’re not in English."

mariagolda
22nd November 2010, 09:52
@terpe,sars and DaveUK thank you

mariagolda
22nd November 2010, 10:00
thank you

Arthur Little
22nd November 2010, 11:48
Mariagolda ... welcome to the filipino/uk forum - and relax - secure in the knowledge that you and your husband are recognised as being legally married wherever you intend to reside. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
22nd November 2010, 11:59
basically as long as the marriage is legal in the country you wed in, then it should be legal in the UK.