PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry about English Test

Josieyam65
19th November 2010, 04:52
Hello Everyone,

I just read this update from the UK Border Agency website yesterday about the English test.

This is in their update as of 17 Nov. 2010:

Degrees taught in English

If you have an academic qualification which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree, we will accept this as evidence that you can speak and understand English to level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. Therefore you will not need to take a test. For details, see the Statement of changes in Immigration Rules - October 2010 (Cm 7944).

We will not accept Master's degrees and PhDs as evidence, because UK NARIC can only assess whether Bachelor's degrees (and not Master's degrees or PhDs) were taught in English.

This is different from the points-based system, where Master's degrees and PHDs are currently accepted as evidence of English language skills. We intend to align the English language requirement for the points-based system with the new requirement for partners, and we will amend the Immigration Rules in due course.

Friends, does this mean that if i graduated a bachelors degree here in the Philippines, i wont have to take a test anymore? Im going to file for a spouse visa next year. :Erm:
Thank you.

Terpe
19th November 2010, 09:01
Josieyam65,

This is an interesting issue.
UKBA say that the academic qualification must be a degree taught in English.

To be honest I really don't know if NARIC actually confirm language of teaching, but anyway a letter from the University may do it.

The required statement of comparability from Naric is not free. You need to pay. It's around £40 for online application.

Please look here for full details of NARIC:-

http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=15

Maybe you could check out if it might be easier and cheaper to take the test locally.

Online practice tests can be done for free here:-

http://www.pearsonpte.com/PTEAcademic/practicetest/Pages/home.aspx?from=practicetest

Would be really helpful to many others if you can post your findings etc on the forum.

Arthur Little
20th November 2010, 02:37
One thing I know for sure, is ... everyone who comes to the UK on a *Spousal Visa, will be required to pass the 'Life in the UK Test' within *its 27-months' validity period prior to becoming eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and/or British Citizenship. This test is compulsory for all non-European immigrants ... regardless of whether or not they already hold graduate qualifications. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Josieyam65
20th November 2010, 03:46
@ Terpe: Thank very much for the information and the links. And if ever i found something helpfule regarding this matter, i will surely post it here. Because i also learned so much in this forum. Thank you.

@ Arthur Little: Thank you so much, Sir. I know i have to take the english test because that's one of the requirements for a spouse visa and im even looking forward to it, even if it scares me, hahaha. It's just that i read their update dated 11 November 2010 about this matter.
You can see it in this link: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/26-english-language-partners

I was thinking, if ever my english subjects in college will be credited, why take the test? Im just confuse.
Salamat, Sir.

stevewool
20th November 2010, 09:13
the test you can do online for free, emma has been doing that after so many attemps she has got the score required, me well i am still trying :icon_lol::icon_lol:, i keep getting a fail but am i bofverd:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

malditako
20th November 2010, 11:14
English language testing for partners and marriage visas - Updated 18/11/10 Right

The United Kingdom Border Authority (UKBA) has announced changes to the requirements for people looking to come to the UK to join or marry their settled partner. As of 29 November 2010, spouses and partners will also need to demonstrate a good grasp of English to get a marriage visa.

These new rules apply to anyone looking to come to (or remain in) the UK who is the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance or prospective civil partner of a UK citizen, or a person settled in the UK.

This change will affect both applications to enter the UK and applications to remain, even if the application is made from the UK itself. Evidence that a test in speaking and listening English has been passed up to the A1 level will need to be provided from an approved test provider. This is the same level required for skilled workers coming to the UK on a Tier 2 visa under the current points based system. Applicants from English-speaking countries or applicants who hold a degree which was taught in English are exempt from this requirement.

Anyone wishing to apply under these conditions will need to apply for a two-year visa to come and live a the spouse or partner and at the end of this two year period they can then apply to the UKBA for permission to settle permanently. Anyone wishing to apply for permanent residence in this way will need to provide evidence of their English-language skills and take the Life in the UK Test.

For more information please see the UKBA website, www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.

- colleges and university in phils use english as a medium of instruction , books are all written in english, test, examination etc....should be exempted but it all depends in the standard of UK embassy.

RuBiX
20th November 2010, 14:35
Hello to all the lovely people here!!

Oh updated rules here they come!!!:doh
:D
I already passed the Life in the UK Test, do I still have to take this English test?

Cheers everyone!!!

Advance Merry Christmas!!!:D:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

Arthur Little
20th November 2010, 16:02
I already passed the Life in the UK Test, do I still have to take this English test?

NO ... you have already demonstrated your English Language skills by being able to understand the questions asked in the 'Life in the UK Test' and satisfactorily answered them to the required standard by attaining the pass mark of 75% or above. So no worries on that score. :NoNo:

RuBiX
20th November 2010, 23:47
Thanks Sir Arthur!! I thought so, just wanted to be sure!!!:D

Now, I'm just gathering some papers for next years
application...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cheers:Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo:

Arthur Little
21st November 2010, 00:08
Now, I'm just gathering some papers for next years
application...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes ... Myrna's doing the same thing :rolleyes: ... been putting aside every scrap of information she can lay her hands on since passing the Test back in July. Good Luck, Ruby! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
21st November 2010, 00:13
... and Good Luck to you, too, Josie when the time comes! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Josieyam65
21st November 2010, 00:36
@ stevewool: Thank you for the reply. I'll try the take the online test later. And ask my husband to take it too, just like you did, hahaha.

@gparry2007: Thank you for the reply. I'm just thinking about it, because i live in Cebu and in their list of test providers, there's no Cebu. So i have to go to Manila, CDO or Baguio to take the test. And after that, i will go back there again to submit my documents to spouse visa. I am willing to take the test, no problem.

@Arthur Little: Thank you very much. I wish to be with my husband soon. It's been a year and a half since we got married.

brokenpieces
22nd November 2010, 03:48
I wonder what's the test all about just curious like what are the questions.. if they are like those english sibjects at school :)

Terpe
22nd November 2010, 06:54
You can play with a practice test here:-
http://www.pearsonpte.com/PTEAcademic/practicetest/Pages/home.aspx?from=practicetest

From the UKBA website:-

"In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening)
at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is a basic level, which
is judged to require 40 to 50 hours' tuition for most learners. Someone assessed at
level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills."

Guidance for Applicants on English Language Requirements is here:-
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/2885878/guidepartnersenglishlangrequirement
This is a very interesting FAQ document, well worth the few minutes of reading to both new visa applicants and UK based FLR and ILR applicants.

Wikipedia has a very good description of the different levels here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages

Hope this helps

Terpe
22nd November 2010, 07:07
You can play with a practice test here:-

From the UKBA website:-

"In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening)
at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is a basic level, which
is judged to require 40 to 50 hours' tuition for most learners. Someone assessed at
level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills."

Guidance for Applicants on English Language Requirements is here:-
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/2885878/guidepartnersenglishlangrequirement
This is a very interesting FAQ document, well worth the few minutes of reading to both new visa applicants and UK based FLR and ILR applicants.

Wikipedia has a very good description of the different levels here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages

Hope this helps

As a footnote, anyone on this forum in a relationship with a Brit should really not have any problems with the English Test.

Queenbee
8th December 2010, 19:22
i just wanted to ask guys if should i take the IElts straight away here back home..Since im from Cebu,i think i take the test in Manila....

Im getting a fiance visa next year FEB,,Which do you think is the best one to take guys?