PDA

View Full Version : Classic old movies suggestions please

les_taxi
13th December 2010, 13:25
I have always been a big movie fan but am getting disappointed at many of the new movies these days,crap acting,all special effects etc:NoNo:

Need some suggestions of great movies from the past,I can look up on imdb but I'd rather hear members recommendations:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just downloading "man for all seasons" as it won lots of awards,any more ideas?:)

Steve.r
13th December 2010, 14:35
How about any of the Norman Wisdom films all classics imo, and how about the old Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin films, they always made me laugh as a kid. Thats if you like a lighter type of film :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
13th December 2010, 15:02
Ben Hur.

Still makes me teary now. :bigcry:

Norman Wisdom for a good laugh...especially for old gits like me, brought up in a black and white world. :)

Kelly's Heroes.

National Lampoon series. :Cuckoo:

Airport and Naked Gun series. :Rasp:

stevie c
13th December 2010, 15:04
for me it has to be once apon a time in america :xxgrinning--00xx3
or

the godfather trilogy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
13th December 2010, 15:29
Mr. Grimsdale! :icon_lol:

I'm thinking of older classics not comedy so much:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Eg rear window,it's a wondeful life,any really good film I might of missed.

Arthur Little
13th December 2010, 17:24
How about "Goodbye, Mr Chips" ... the original version ... starring Robert Donat? :rolleyes:

burdock
13th December 2010, 17:42
... the old St. Trinian's movie with George cole.

Arthur Little
13th December 2010, 18:49
... the old St. Trinian's movie with George cole.

Yes ... but, lest we forget :rolleyes: ... it was Alastair Sim as the headmaster in 'The Belles of St Trinian's' - and subsequent movies in the series - who was the real star ... and this late, lamented Scots' actor is accredited with being George Cole's mentor. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
13th December 2010, 18:55
... the old St. Trinian's movie with George cole. yes, i was thinking of those too

Dedworth
13th December 2010, 19:24
Yes ... but, lest we forget :rolleyes: ... it was Alastair Sim as the headmaster in 'The Belles of St Trinian's' - and subsequent movies in the series - who was the real star ... and this late, lamented Scots' actor is accredited with being George Cole's mentor. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur - Just for the sake of good order and knowing you would not wish to offend any politically correct, cross dressing handwringers lurking on this thread Alistair Sim played the Headmistress:)

Dedworth
13th December 2010, 19:32
Not old enough to be a classic (from 80's I think) but this one with Timothy Spall & Colin Firth used to make me laugh - Dutch Girls

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6tpp3_dutch-girls_shortfilms

Tawi2
13th December 2010, 19:34
To kill a mockingbird :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Seven Samurai ;)
True grit :) (not as old but a classic).

alanp
13th December 2010, 19:39
i just bought the Norman Wisdom box set from asda £20

laurel
13th December 2010, 19:56
Grapes of Wrath, To kill a mocking bird.......not so old Capricorn One

Steve.r
13th December 2010, 20:00
All the old Sir John Mills movies, I favorite of mine is 'I was Monty's double'

List of his fillms here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0590055/

Arthur Little
13th December 2010, 20:08
Arthur - Alistair Sim played the Headmistress:)

:icon_sorry: ... you're absolutely right :rolleyes: ... it was the headmistress he played! :doh ...

Arthur Little
13th December 2010, 20:24
Just for the sake of good order and knowing you would not wish to offend any politically correct, cross dressing handwringers lurking on this thread ...

:icon_lol: ... well-spotted! The "transvestites" [:anerikke: whoever they might be] can rest easy. :D

Dedworth
13th December 2010, 20:42
On a WWII note

The Dambusters
Reach for The Sky
The Man Who Never Was
The Longest Day

a bit newer
Battle of The Bulge
The Battle of Britain
Patton
A Bridge Too Far

finally no doubt I'll find it on at sometime over Christmas - The Great Escape

grahamw48
13th December 2010, 20:51
My friend appeared in Platoon, Apocalypse Now, and Return to the River Kwai, all filmed in the Phils, plus a few others made there in the 80s and 90s.

Come to think of it, I enjoyed those movies too.

Oh, please add the Terminator movies to my list. :)

les_taxi
13th December 2010, 20:54
Plenty in there:xxgrinning--00xx3:
After footie I will try A man for all seasons:yikes: That reads wrong :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
13th December 2010, 21:04
:icon_lol: ... well-spotted! The "transvestites" [:anerikke: whoever they might be] can rest easy. :D

Indeed ... there's no reason now, for " such dressers" to get cross! :laugher:

Arthur Little
13th December 2010, 21:13
To kill a mocking bird.......

Gregory Peck starred in that film, didn't he? :xxgrinning--00xx3: Quite a coincidence when you think of the association between the main character's real life [adopted] surname and the movie's title!

Dedworth
13th December 2010, 23:32
A good thread plenty of titles to fill up my LoveFilm wanted list with

Arthur Little
13th December 2010, 23:35
... starring Robert Donat? :rolleyes:

Donat also starred in the original film version of Scottish author, John Buchan's thrilling espionage tale, 'The Thirty Nine Steps'. The storylines in each of the other two movies ... in which Kenneth More - and later, Robert Powell - played the hero, Richard Hannay ... bore little resemblance to Buchan's book - as did the first. Personally, of the three, I best enjoyed the middle one ... in which a stuntman takes over from More in the scene where Hannay is portrayed leaping from a steam train and hanging onto the brownish-red girders of the Forth Rail Bridge to escape his pursuers. "Rivetting" stuff!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
14th December 2010, 00:09
Donat also starred in the original film version of Scottish author, John Buchan's thrilling espionage tale, 'The Thirty Nine Steps'. The storylines in each of the other two movies ... in which Kenneth More - and later, Robert Powell - played the hero, Richard Hannay ... bore little resemblance to Buchan's book - as did the first. Personally, of the three, I best enjoyed the middle one ... in which a stuntman takes over from More in the scene where Hannay is portrayed leaping from a steam train and hanging onto the brownish-red girders of the Forth Rail Bridge to escape his pursuers. "Rivetting" stuff!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Or...'watching paint dry' ? :icon_lol:

bornatbirth
14th December 2010, 00:16
back in its day it was :D

Sim11UK
14th December 2010, 00:24
for me it has to be once apon a time in america :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Got to agree with you here stevie, nearly put this in the favourite movies thread the other day...it's in my top 10. Very violent at times & also comes with a great Ennio Morreconi score throughout. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
14th December 2010, 00:36
Got to agree with you here stevie, nearly put this in the favourite movies thread the other day...it's in my top 10. Very violent at times & also comes with a great Ennio Morreconi score throughout. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

being a fan of sergio leone, the film director of the good, the bad and the ugly trilogy.

for some reason i find the above movie his worse :Erm:

btw have you seen "once upon a time in the west" :D

how old do these classic movies need to be :Erm:

i do try getting the wife to watch old movies but for some reason always tries to grab the remote and change the channel if she thinks the movie is to old.

Dedworth
14th December 2010, 00:43

I read this and thought of the music from Midnight Express but was confusing Morreconi with Giorgio Moroder. Anyway I used to like that film where naive drug smuggler Billy Hayes gets a dose of the baseball bat on his feet from the brutal Turkish Prison Guard who rightly or wrongly iirc gets a coat hook through the back of his head later.

tomboo
14th December 2010, 00:56
Cant see past Godfather I, and more recent Shawshank Redemption. There are not many movies id watch more than once, but those 2 i could watch many times

Sim11UK
14th December 2010, 01:13
being a fan of sergio leone, the film director of the good, the bad and the ugly trilogy.

That's it Sergio Leone, couldn't think of his name :xxgrinning--00xx3: Sorry you didn't like it.
Think I've seen a bit of "Once upon a time in the west" but didn't do much for me. :)

Farmerg
14th December 2010, 01:32
I don't know if its your cup of tea but when I think of classics, John Wayne films always come to mind especially True Grit....................ps The Lady Killers is definitely a classic!

Arthur Little
14th December 2010, 02:36
Definitely can't stand noisy, violent movies. :nono-1-1: But even less do I like the modern-day penchant for senselessly "kicking-off" - often literally - films [apparently] halfway through the performances as if they were advertising 'trailers' depicting rampageous shoot-outs :BlueTeamEnforcer: and/or brawls/punch-ups, :xxangry-smiley-038: *screeching car tyres, &c. ... *which I absolutely detest! What's wrong with a good, old-fashioned story? :rolleyes:

As Julie Andrews sang in 'The Sound of Music': "let's start at the very begin~ning ... it's a very good place to start!" And why on earth not? :rolleyes:

KeithD
14th December 2010, 11:10
Bambi & Watership down :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
14th December 2010, 13:00
Bambi & Watership down :rolleyes:

Nah ... they're tear-jerkers!!! :bigcry:

Scouse
15th December 2010, 20:00
Casablanca, and Brief Encounter for great stories, any Marx Brothers or Ealing Comedies for belly laughs.

Or fior more recent fare try Land and Freedom directed by Ken Loach.

Pete/London
15th December 2010, 21:38
The inclination to turn off b/w films should be resisted as there are some real gems,the original Lavender Hill Mob, 1946 Great Expectations, Alexander Korda films such as The Four Feathers, David Lean films,Lawrence of Arabia.

Also like watching French films, having to read the sub titles a chore though,as they dont normally overdo the crash bang wallop that you see with US films.

Sim11UK
15th December 2010, 22:14
This is classic comedy...1953 'Monsieur Hulot's Holiday'. Jacques Tati :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92Cm8gl7Ls

aposhark
15th December 2010, 22:19

how old do these classic movies need to be :Erm:

i do try getting the wife to watch old movies but for some reason always tries to grab the remote and change the channel if she thinks the movie is to old.

"once upon a time in the west" is my favourite Sergio Leone film. Great soundtrack too :Jump:

aposhark
15th December 2010, 22:57
i have always been a big movie fan but am getting disappointed at many of the new movies these days,crap acting,all special effects etc:nono:

Need some suggestions of great movies from the past,i can look up on imdb but i'd rather hear members recommendations:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just downloading "man for all seasons" as it won lots of awards,any more ideas?:)

films - some ideas

12 angry men
rebecca
citizen kane (1941)
casablanca (1942)
the godfather (1972)
gone with the wind (1939)
lawrence of arabia (1962)
on the waterfront (1954)
it's a wonderful life (1946)
sunset boulevard (1950)
the bridge on the river kwai (1957)
some like it hot (1959)
all about eve (1950)
the african queen (1951)
psycho (1960)
one flew over the cuckoo's nest (1975)
the grapes of wrath (1940)
2001: A space odyssey (1968)
the maltese falcon (1941)
dr. Strangelove (1964)
bonnie and clyde (1967)
apocalypse now (1979)
mr. Smith goes to washington (1939)
the treasure of the sierra madre (1948)
the godfather part ii (1974)
high noon (1952)
to kill a mockingbird (1962)
it happened one night (1934)
midnight cowboy (1969)
the best years of our lives (1946)
double indemnity (1944)
doctor zhivago (1965)
north by northwest (1959)
west side story (1961)
rear window (1954)
king kong (1933)
the birth of a nation (1915)
a streetcar named desire (1951)
a clockwork orange (1971)
butch cassidy and the sundance kid (1969)
the philadelphia story (1940)
from here to eternity (1953)
amadeus (1984)
all quiet on the western front (1930)
m*a*s*h (1970)
the third man (1949)
fantasia (1940)
rebel without a cause (1955)
vertigo (1958)
stagecoach (1939)
the silence of the lambs (1991)
the manchurian candidate (1962)
an american in paris (1951)
shane (1953)
the french connection (1971)
ben-hur (1959)
wuthering heights (1939)
the gold rush (1925)
city lights (1931)
modern times (1936)
giant (1956)
duck soup (1933)
mutiny on the bounty (1935)
frankenstein (1931)
patton (1970)
the jazz singer (1927)
my fair lady (1964)
a place in the sun (1951)
the apartment (1960)
the searchers (1956)
bringing up baby (1938)
yankee doodle dandy (1942)

grahamw48
16th December 2010, 01:33
I haven't been to the pictures for at least 20 years !

Now when they tell me the price it's like being punched in the face. :yikes:

Same reason I can't bring myself to get on a bus.

les_taxi
31st December 2010, 00:36
I read this and thought of the music from Midnight Express but was confusing Morreconi with Giorgio Moroder. Anyway I used to like that film where naive drug smuggler Billy Hayes gets a dose of the baseball bat on his feet from the brutal Turkish Prison Guard who rightly or wrongly iirc gets a coat hook through the back of his head later.

I'm glad I dident post this til now:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Just watched Midnight express fantastic and I would have seen your "spoiler" Deworth:doh

Dedworth
31st December 2010, 00:41
I'm glad I dident post this til now:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Just watched Midnight express fantastic and I would have seen your "spoiler" Deworth:doh

It's a good film Les, I just watched National Geographic - Great Escape Revenge on the Gestapo (dodgy torrent download) about how the RAF Police after the war tracked down and strung up 13 Nazis who murdered the great escapers. Halfway through Rock & Chips now on the BBC I player

les_taxi
31st December 2010, 00:43
I feel like a some comedy now so I might watch a re-run of that old classic Liverpool v wolves never fails to raise a smile:icon_lol:

les_taxi
31st December 2010, 00:46
you have got me downloading Great Escape Revenge on the Gestapo now :icon_lol:

Dedworth
31st December 2010, 00:46
I feel like a some comedy now so I might watch a re-run of that old classic Liverpool v wolves never fails to raise a smile:icon_lol:

I read the match report - Stevie Mee and Torres failed to impress -key man Jamie Carragher was missing probably still hung over after Christmas in his Dads Croxteth boozer "The Jolly Giro"

les_taxi
31st December 2010, 00:49
For me watching Liverpool is a comedy for most Liverpool fans its a horror movie:icon_lol:

Amazing how genres can change just like that:icon_lol:

Dedworth
31st December 2010, 00:51
you have got me downloading Great Escape Revenge on the Gestapo now :icon_lol:

It's good but I thought I'd seen it before - after you watch it have a look at C4 The Great Escape The Reckoning

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-great-escape-the-reckoning/video/series-1/episode-1/the-reckoning

fred
31st December 2010, 06:28
If you like gangster films.. apart from the Godfather trilogy which were truly great take a look at Angels with dirtyfaces starring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien!!!

http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Cagney,%20James/Annex/Annex%20-%20Cagney,%20James%20(Angels%20With%20Dirty%20Faces)_05.jpg

fred
31st December 2010, 06:35
Best film Ive seen recently is true romance.. I posted my favourite scene in another thread but worth posting again in case you missed it Les..
They just dont make actors like Dennis Hopper anymore...May he rest in peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqccyUpnZwA

stevewool
31st December 2010, 08:52
cant beat some old black and white films , laurel and hardy films were so funny and the silent movies were all great , best time to watch them is very early in the mornings , just when you want a pick me up makes you smile even laugh too, some of those stunts they did in the old movies , its a wonder that no body was killed

grahamw48
31st December 2010, 11:02
What happened to all the black and white silent comedies ?

I just love them, but they're never shown on TV now.

Has someone bought them all up and hidden them in a cupboard ?:Erm:

Piamed
31st December 2010, 11:17
Great Expectations, Oliver Twist (Musical), David Copperfield, My Fair Lady, Baby Jane, West Side Story, Once Upon a time in america, A funny thing happened on the way to the forum:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
31st December 2010, 11:46
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Are you going to tell us about it? :D Happy New Year Toks :)

Ako Si Jamie
31st December 2010, 20:33
Duel

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mnIiuW8r4vc/TOAyTUFgG6I/AAAAAAAAAVA/q0JkkAkQK5I/s1600/281-duel.jpg

Also

Where eagles dare
Stand by me
Shawshank redemption

les_taxi
17th January 2011, 00:44
just seen 12 angry men for the first time-awesome!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Saw Godfather 1 brill

Next classic is "wait until dark" 1967 that's for Monday night :)

Watched Piranha :( biggest pile of rubbish ever

grahamw48
17th January 2011, 01:35
'Wait until Dark'.

Is that about a blind lady (A.Hepburn?).

If so, I saw that in Harrogate in about 1969....frightened the life out of me...great film! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
17th January 2011, 01:44
'Wait until Dark'.

Is that about a blind lady (A.Hepburn?).

If so, I saw that in Harrogate in about 1969....frightened the life out of me...great film! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes it is the same one
Did you see it at the Odeon or Abc?

grahamw48
17th January 2011, 02:01
ABC ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I lived at home in Knaresborough with the parents then, but used to travel to York 6 days a week on the train for my work. :)

sparky
17th January 2011, 02:20
Harvey

as old films go its a great one:xxgrinning--00xx3:

South-east boy
17th January 2011, 12:46
El CID (which was on TV just last Saturday),
Spartacus,
The Magnificent 7 films,
American Graffiti.

And for some not so old but good foreign films (if you don't mind subtitles!):
Jean De Florette & Manon des sources (Manon is the 2nd part to JDF),
Le Bossu,
Curse of the golden flower (amazing cinematography, costumes & colours),
Red Cliff.

I've got tons of movies at home, but most are more recent films.

les_taxi
18th January 2011, 00:07
Just watched wait until dark great film and I did jump:)

grahamw48
18th January 2011, 01:17
Just watched wait until dark great film and I did jump:)

Hahaha!

Glad you enjoyed it...still got the fear factor eh ? :icon_lol:

les_taxi
23rd January 2011, 23:49
OK just watched Mutiny on the bounty (1935) awesome:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
24th January 2011, 00:57
Yes I know the one. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Also that reminded me of Treasure Island the movie...saw it maybe 1959, just after we came back from Malaya.

The one with the classic Long John Silver and a mad Ben Gunn .

Frightened me too as a little kid, but brilliant adventure story. :)