PDA

View Full Version : Same Owner… 59 Years Counting…

Win2Win
15th December 2010, 10:30
http://www.marketmanila.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/135.jpgFabulous. A Chevrolet 3600 in pretty darned good shape and in constant use as a workhorse in and around Sausalito, California. We spotted this gem on a recent stroll around the seaside enclave and I managed to take out my camera and snap this single shot before it drove out of the parking lot. Hanging on the back of the truck was a sign that if I recall correctly, said something like "Same Owner, 59 Years" -- isn't that just wonderful? It makes middle-aged folks like myself smile at the thought. In this day and age where people think products that cost serious money are meant to be replaced every year or two (think laptops, cellphones, etc.) and that built in obsolescence (that's an SAT spelling word if I ever recall one) is a good thing, it's terrific to find someone proud to have used the same vehicle for 59 years straight. That's what "built to last" means... I find today's throw away consumerism so incredibly wasteful in comparison with say even just 50 years ago. And all this chic eco talk about plastic bags, carbon footprints, etc... frankly, it's totally true but we brought the problem on ourselves. If folks weren't so enamored with always the newest, the fastest, the most convenient, the most packaged food, electronics, vehicles, etc., we wouldn't have so much waste to begin with to feel guilty about...

Content from... (http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/same-owner-59-years-counting)

grahamw48
15th December 2010, 12:47
Hmm..nice vehicle.

Just reminded me...must buy some new underpants. :Erm:

bornatbirth
15th December 2010, 13:11
Hmm..nice vehicle.

Just reminded me...must buy some new underpants. :Erm:

why :Erm:, are your old ones 59 years old :icon_lol:

grahamw48
15th December 2010, 15:16
Well you can't beat those St.Michael ones my mum bought, and they never wear out. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

For 5/6 they're pretty good value, whereas the 3 bob BHS ones do seem to have shrunk.:thumbsdown:

Arthur Little
15th December 2010, 16:27
I've had the same body for 66 years ... but - admittedly - it could do with a few spare parts!!! :icon_lol: