PDA

View Full Version : Iglesia ni Cristo, Religion... Advice

AdamB
27th December 2010, 23:03
Hi, All

I've been reading back post's with regards INC or INK.

Been speaking to a lass which i quite like and everything going ok until this brought up about her religion. Now i'm not one for religion,

I had enough of it getting forced on me when kid!!!

I know that phil is religious place and i respect there beliefs.

Any feed back folks???

Kind regards
adz

Englishman2010
27th December 2010, 23:10
Each to their own when it comes to religion, I'm like most people and only ever go to church for weddings and funerals. Does your g/f mind if you aren't particularly religious? Do you mind if she is religious? I guess you need to talk about it and find out what each other wants and if you are happy to agree on a difference of opinion

Tawi2
27th December 2010, 23:10
Dont have any religion myself,and the only one in Pinas that interested me was animism,but the european headquarters for Iglesia Ni Cristo is 10 minutes away,whenever I am over there on a sunday the area is awash with Pinays,herds of them :yikes:(or is that flocks?Whats a collective of pinays?A tsismis?).

raynaputi
27th December 2010, 23:19
erm..:Erm: just wondering..as what i know, INC has a rule (?) that the members should marry someone with the same religion..if not, the one who's not INC should convert..i'm not sure if this is applicable to you guys..:Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
27th December 2010, 23:40
I think if your with someone who is deeply religious and you're not, it'll probably cause problems.

If she's just mildly religious you'll more likely to get on.

aposhark
27th December 2010, 23:59
Hi, All

I've been reading back post's with regards INC or INK.

Been speaking to a lass which i quite like and everything going ok until this brought up about her religion. Now i'm not one for religion,

I had enough of it getting forced on me when kid!!!

I know that phil is religious place and i respect there beliefs.

Any feed back folks???

Kind regards
adz

I think it is best to tell her what your beliefs are as soon as possible.
If you hide your beliefs they will only come out later and the consequences could be dire.
If you are willing to accept that she is religious, she should accept that you are not that bothered.
It has been well documented on this forum that religion (amongst other things) can cause big problems if one partner does not accept the other's position.
Tell her what you feel and be strong about this.
Be truthful from the start :xxgrinning--00xx3:

AdamB
28th December 2010, 00:15
Hi, All apparently i need to convert to this church/religion/

Now i've just told her truthfully that i'm not religious and that i would possibly convert.

I have told her that i would go to church with her and take part but im only there to support her!!!

I've also spoken to her about her family and what they would expect/ Support wise/ and She says she will put money back to them from her own pocket when she gets job over here.

AdamB
28th December 2010, 00:20
Apparently both people need to be same religion for family blessing...

And to be honest i really dont mind going to church as it's something she feels strongly about and well whats the point of trying to build future with someone if your not going to support there beliefs and values...

She seems happy that i will go to church with her and i'm happy about this.

aposhark
28th December 2010, 00:29

Now i've just told her truthfully that i'm not religious and that i would possibly convert.

I have told her that i would go to church with her and take part but im only there to support her!!!

I've also spoken to her about her family and what they would expect/ Support wise/ and She says she will put money back to them from her own pocket when she gets job over here.

Why would you want to convert if you are not religious?
A recipe for disaster IMO :NoNo::doh
Almost all Filipinos will try to help their family financially if they can.

My wife and I send money regularly to her family even though my wife does not earn anymore.
My wife does work very hard looking after our baby though.
A lot of husbands do help to support the family of the wife.
It is important to remember the closeness of the Filipino family and our money can help a lot.

There can also be problems that come from sending money, it all depends on how your girfriend/fiancee/wife, her family and you sort this out.

mindanao
28th December 2010, 00:42
INC,you have to regularly put your tithe (10% of your income) to the INC, in the church they got their attendance sheets and you're name be checked if you attend the service. Thursdays and Sundays are the biblical services.
My Friends who are in solidarity with the INC, and they are very religious/pious in praying:xxgrinning--00xx3: So if you want to be convert to them, you'll have to attend a number of religious services before they will confer you and allows you to get married to an INC. Don't miss the service:)

AdamB
28th December 2010, 00:55
Why would you want to convert if you are not religious?
sort this out.

You know something your right...

Arthur Little
28th December 2010, 01:06
From what I understand, Adam ... having seen the fancy edifices the 'Iglesia ni Cristo' religion owns in Mindanao alone ... it seems its followers are "not short of a bob or two"!! :NoNo: (Being a Glaswegian, I daresay you'll be familiar with the expression I've used!) And - if I'm not mistaken - the reason for the sect's [apparent] wealth can be traced to certain political factions with a vested interest in its survival - plus adherents being obliged to regularly contribute a sizeable proportion of their disposable income towards its upkeep.

So I would think very carefully :rolleyes: about what you might be letting yourself in for ...

AdamB
28th December 2010, 01:07
After suggesting i dont want to change my views etc.

She vanished off watching dvd.

This aint happening

Ian, your correct mate never works out with 1st one. And i even did the whole fbook thing and everything else to see what she like.

Most annoying, where is respect, surely if you went online speak someone your interested in you would spaek with them not put dvd on....

Not impressed> Maybe this belong's in rant's!!

AdamB
28th December 2010, 01:09
Arthur thanks, Shame really i thought we connected.

But i'm walking away from this 1

aposhark
28th December 2010, 01:16
You know something your right...

Hi AdamB, in my post "sort this out" was referring to financial matters by the way.....

Arthur Little
28th December 2010, 01:21
So I would think very carefully :rolleyes: about what you might be letting yourself in for ...

There again ... I wouldn't want to come between you and what could otherwise turn out to be a potentially promising relationship. :nono-1-1: But I'd strongly recommend having a serious discussion about it with this lass before committing yourself!

aposhark
28th December 2010, 01:29
Arthur thanks, Shame really i thought we connected.

But i'm walking away from this 1

"walk your way" over to the Phils one day AdamB, but be prepared for lots of alluring smiles (and not just from the "boys" :laugher:).
The girls/ladies/women are hard to resist :hubbahubba: as many on here will testify to :Rasp:

bornatbirth
28th December 2010, 01:31
looks like its over :Erm:

btw what was the dvd she was going to watch :D

grahamw48
28th December 2010, 01:39
INC,you have to regularly put your tithe (10% of your income) to the INC, in the church they got their attendance sheets and you're name be checked if you attend the service. Thursdays and Sundays are the biblical services.
My Friends who are in solidarity with the INC, and they are very religious/pious in praying:xxgrinning--00xx3: So if you want to be convert to them, you'll have to attend a number of religious services before they will confer you and allows you to get married to an INC. Don't miss the service:)

Correct !

Thankfully the ex was an atheist like me....but later converted to an adulterer. :rolleyes:

AdamB
28th December 2010, 02:02
Aposhark,

it's my fault i never removed the get this sorted out. It's ok if i had been you i would of thrown that up there...

Arthur some thing's are meant to be and others well arent.

Yeah i was planning on heading over in may...

It was some korean film...

mindanao
28th December 2010, 02:11
"love me for what i am" so Adam if your lady seriously loves you, she will accept your religious views whatever it is and not try to make you out of what you don't wanna be.:)

give it a time:heartshape1:

Arthur Little
28th December 2010, 02:15
Arthur some thing's are meant to be and others well arent.

:gp: ... que sera sera!

AdamB
28th December 2010, 02:19
It seems more to do with her parents views and no blessing. she seems to think some dodgy omen will come upon her. I'm not one to disrespect belief's but> Sounds more like brain wash

raynaputi
28th December 2010, 04:46
what i know about INC is that if one opted to marry someone outside their religion and that someone doesn't want to be converted, the son/daughter is usually disowned (not sure if i'm using the right term) by the family..most people in the INC are that dedicated to their religion..my elder sis (a Catholic) had an ex bf who's INC and she even started the process of converting..but since the religion and the ex bf was so strict (she wasn't allowed to go to parties, no xmas celebration, she must be well behave all the time, etc), my sis felt she was being choked to death and can't be herself anymore..mind you the guy was really nice but my sis can't take the strictness of everything that is mostly referred to the religion..so she broke up with the guy..

Terpe
28th December 2010, 07:24
AdamB
I don't know a lot about INC
Only what I have been told after asking questions having seen many of their churches in the Philippines (they are quite striking and all look the same)
I have read all the replies to your thread and confirm that they are in line with I have learned.
My advice would be to ask yourself WHY consider such a lifestyle change, and could you sustain it given your own beliefs and background.
Given that you are not serious about religion I would doubt you could succesfully enter such a world.
If you feel you want to know more why not ask your g/f.

No offence intended.
Just my opinion

mindanao
28th December 2010, 10:52
the son/daughter is usually disowned (not sure if i'm using the right term) by the family. commonly term as "tiwalag sa iglesia"

My college friend , a roamn catholic before was converted to INC, prior to their marriage. Though its an option for her to convince the husband now to get away from INC, the husbands family is giving her hassle, so she yield. Well, today , she only complains of the regular attendance to the church that sometimes gets way with her work schedules:NoNo:

Tawi2
28th December 2010, 11:07
tiwalag sa iglesia
Break away from iglesia?I am going over that way later,theres a KFC opposite the HQ,if there are any pinays ouitside(and usually there are quite a number)I will ask for some literature may naa ka ba libro parte sa simbahan?That will make them gimmee some I am sure :icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
28th December 2010, 11:15
in the church they got their attendance sheets and you're name be checked if you attend the service. :omg: That's a bit extreme!

After suggesting i dont want to change my views etc.

She vanished off watching dvd.

This aint happening

Ian, your correct mate never works out with 1st one. And i even did the whole fbook thing and everything else to see what she like.

Most annoying, where is respect, surely if you went online speak someone your interested in you would spaek with them not put dvd on....

Not impressed> Maybe this belong's in rant's!! It's obvious that she doesn't respect your wishes. Get out while you can is my advice!

tomboo
28th December 2010, 11:52

im not and have never been religious, my wife is mildly religious and like to visit church once a week, usually a sunday, i try to go when not busy, thats it for me,,, like yourself its support and a small price to pay for the happines she brings me

AdamB
28th December 2010, 13:24
Spoke with her, she to afraid of family,
I'll tell her to night that i want to just be friend's and that i hope she find's someone with the same high beliefs she has.

If she does not want to talk i'll wish her the best in life and for future.

Tomboo
That's exactly it Support,

Englishman2010
28th December 2010, 13:40
Whatever you end up doing, best wishes.
Personally I wouldn't get involved with religion and probably wouldn't want to be involved with anyone who was too religious either, but thats just me - each to their own:xxgrinning--00xx3:

As the saying goes, there's plenty more fish in the sea

Ako Si Jamie
28th December 2010, 14:05
Spoke with her, she to afraid of family,
I'll tell her to night that i want to just be friend's and that i hope she find's someone with the same high beliefs she has.

If she does not want to talk i'll wish her the best in life and for future.

Tomboo
That's exactly it Support, Hmmm....she's afraid of her family huh?? You don't what that as the family will be controlling the relationship.

jane2009
28th December 2010, 15:14
INC,you have to regularly put your tithe (10% of your income to the church [/COLOR]they got their attendance sheets and you're name be checked if you attend the service. Thursdays and Sundays are the biblical services.

That's not true...Im a member of Iglesia Ni Cristo but we never do that...We give the amount voluntarily but not 10% compulsory....

jane2009
28th December 2010, 15:25
As a member of Iglesia Ni Cristo, we are not allowed to get married to those who are not a member of INC..If we do we get expelled from INC....People who want to be a member of INC is need to undergo a doctrinations...

mindanao
28th December 2010, 15:31
That's not true...Im a member of Iglesia Ni Cristo but we never do that...We give the amount voluntarily but not 10% compulsory.... that's what i learned from my INC friend Jane, Thanks for enlightening.:)

Ako Si Jamie
28th December 2010, 15:41
:Erm: Someone's on the fiddle! :cwm3:

fred
28th December 2010, 15:41
Sound like a bunch of nut cases to me.. Run forest...RUN!!

grahamw48
28th December 2010, 17:47
Ever noticed how the INC churches are the smartest buildings in town....surrounded by poverty ? :NoNo:

Ako Si Jamie
28th December 2010, 17:59
I haven't but I can imagine. Not right at all!

Arthur Little
28th December 2010, 18:12
... having seen the fancy edifices the 'Iglesia ni Cristo' religion owns in Mindanao alone ... it seems its followers are "not short of a bob or two"!! :NoNo:

Ever noticed how the INC churches are the smartest buildings in town....surrounded by poverty ? :NoNo:

That's one of the main points I was making too, Graham ... as you can see! :yeahthat:

Tawi2
28th December 2010, 18:18
Ever noticed how the INC churches are the smartest buildings in town
I have just been to the KFC opposite their european HQ(Too dark to take a pic)that building isnt cheap to rent,its huge :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
28th December 2010, 18:46
That's one of the main points I was making too, Graham ... :yeahthat:

... for instance, many - if not most - churches in the UK are struggling to make ends meet financially, and I know for a fact that the Presbyterian Church of Scotland is no exception - having witnessed an almost continual rise in the number of buildings being closed, sold off and/or demolished (due to inadequate funding) throughout the thirty-five years I've been an office-bearer. :omg:

AdamB
28th December 2010, 19:02
Well, I've said what i needed to say and that's that.

All that is or was expected of me was to go to church. And as i said on here i would go just to support her.

But i would always have niggling thoughts about family having control.

I repect that they love there family and try to help them.
I'm just not used to that as it's not something i have myself...

ingat all,
adam

jane2009
28th December 2010, 20:52
We know we have alot of beautiful church not only in the philippines but all over the world..And please guys dont think that we are forced to give 10% of our income all we give is voluntarily from our heart.....And we do believed its all blessings from God .We just respect what others beliefs/religion coz each one of us are different....I respect all of your here I hope you do the same....

AdamB
28th December 2010, 21:36
Jane,

I mean no disrespect towards your religion or your churches.

I really like this lass but.
I'm not religious i mean yes i have a belief.
and i was baptised, An i'm christian.
But every country is different and everyone and every tradition moves on.

I hope you dont take offence to the above as it's just my point of view and we all have 1.

Ingat

fred
29th December 2010, 03:42

And the Catholic churches..The ones with the most clients are left crumbling!!
I wonder if its because they give all their donations to the poorest members of their flock and forego church refurbishment?

grahamw48
29th December 2010, 11:06
Well the Pope and his mates at the Vatican don't seem to have the backsides out of their trousers :Erm: ...and all those graven images being worshipped. :rolleyes:

Oops, mustn't get involved with religion....easiest way to get myself banned. :icon_lol:

joebloggs
29th December 2010, 11:12
Oops, mustn't get involved with religion....easiest way to get myself banned. :icon_lol:

or football :xxsmilie_fussball::football21::football3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

after 10yrs, the only time religion was a problem with me and the misses, was when it came to baptizing little Joe, basically he had to be if he was to attend the same school as his sister, I wanted him to be kept free from religion until he was old enough to make his own decision.:NoNo:

jayzel
29th December 2010, 14:49
being a prtestant from norhtern ireland and having lived here my whole life i found it strange to find myself courting a different religion never mind different cultured lady,she is as you might of guessed catholic and has a strong beleif,i spent 15 months there with her and guess what i went to mass with her every sunday so from my background of religious polotics it seemed impossible for this work,ive learnt a lot love conquers the divides if you let it we are happy in our different religous beleifs but we both respect the way we were raised.YES it can work out fine it did for me.
GOODLUCK
jay an zel

grahamw48
29th December 2010, 16:21
Fortunately the ex (Catholic) wasn't religious, so our boy wasn't baptised and didn't receive any brainwashing. :) I was brought up a Methodist, and attended church until 16.

I do TRY not to influence any spiritual beliefs he may have, and to teach him good moral values.

Seeing as he was chosen at school to be a 'moderator' and later a Prefect, I reckon he's turning out fine...not to mention the 14 GCSEs, including Religious Education.

Poor old RE teacher apparently did have her hands full with him though. Like father like son. :icon_lol:

joebloggs
29th December 2010, 16:46
Fortunately the ex (Catholic) wasn't religious, so our boy wasn't baptised and didn't receive any brainwashing. :) I was brought up a Methodist, and attended church until 16.

I do TRY not to influence any spiritual beliefs he may have, and to teach him good moral values.

Seeing as he was chosen at school to be a 'moderator' and later a Prefect, I reckon he's turning out fine...not to mention the 14 GCSEs, including Religious Education.

Poor old RE teacher apparently did have her hands full with him though. Like father like son. :icon_lol:

what :censored: me off most was when our 7yr old girl had to go to confession :NoNo: what the :censored: can a 7yr old girl have to confess about :Erm:

your lucky graham, or maybe not, i went to a C & E school, dad was catholic and mom a jehovah wittness, and I as you can tell I am free from them all :rolleyes:

morals, honestly etc have little to do with religion :NoNo:

Sim11UK
29th December 2010, 17:38
being a prtestant from norhtern ireland and having lived here my whole life i found it strange to find myself courting a different religion never mind different cultured lady,she is as you might of guessed catholic and has a strong beleif,i spent 15 months there with her and guess what i went to mass with her every sunday so from my background of religious polotics it seemed impossible for this work,ive learnt a lot love conquers the divides if you let it we are happy in our different religous beleifs but we both respect the way we were raised.YES it can work out fine it did for me.
GOODLUCK
jay an zel

Nice post :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
30th December 2010, 04:06
ive learnt a lot love conquers the divides if you let it we are happy in our different religous beleifs but we both respect the way we were raised.YES it can work out fine it did for me.
GOODLUCK
jay an zel

Well said, Jay & Zel ... :iagree:! Indeed, love can - and does - conquer religious divides; I am Protestant and my wife, Catholic ... but we respect each other's faith, and are both Christians.

Arthur Little
30th December 2010, 04:30

And all credit to you, Graham! :xxgrinning--00xx3: But, equally, maybe the GCSE he gained in Religious Education is a further token of your moral values ... and the fact that his RE teacher had her hands full with him, is [perhaps] an early indication that his knowledge of the subject surpassed hers to the extent that he might even aspire to becoming a Mehodist Minister! :omg:

grahamw48
30th December 2010, 11:39
His great grandfather WAS a Methodist Minister (married to an Irish Presbyterian). :icon_lol:

Our family was very active in church circles, and in fact to this day both of my sisters are Sunday School teachers.

I was fascinated by all things scientific as a child, and a big fan of Darwin, so the man in the sky just had to go. :)

Arthur Little
30th December 2010, 22:51
I was fascinated by all things scientific as a child, and a big fan of Darwin, so the man in the sky just had to go. :)

Who "Dar(es) wins", eh? :Erm: ... but aren't some Darwinian theories a bit "above our heads" also?

AdamB
31st December 2010, 00:39
I did take the advice from you all.

AND I'M STAYING AWAY FROM RELIGION

I will still go to church on a sunday if i meet a nice girl and that is her wish in the future of course. Supporting as every guy should be of partner.

So thanks again for advice and sorry for stepping on anyone's toes.

regards
adam

grahamw48
31st December 2010, 01:51
Very wise sir.

Good luck. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
31st December 2010, 20:29
I did take the advice from you all.

AND I'M STAYING AWAY FROM RELIGION

I will still go to church on a sunday if i meet a nice girl and that is her wish in the future of course. Supporting as every guy should be of partner.

So thanks again for advice and sorry for stepping on anyone's toes.

regards
adam

So, if the husband is an Atheist, shouldn't the wife support him :NoNo:
More importantly, if romance blossoms and marriage and emigration to the UK happens, wouldn't it be important to let the lady know that most people in the UK are not concerned with religion any more.
She would not be shocked when she arrived.

somebody
2nd January 2011, 03:05
You made the right decision I think for the two of you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

In the Wife's family and extended household there are Catholics and Born again (protestant) and one of the Maids family is INC.

I would advise anyone visiting or simply chatting at a deep personal level with people from the Philippines to look into the various religions available there. Simply mentioning you don't believe in it think its a load of tosh will cause raised high brows and possibly a not to warm a response:omg:

Jokes/views about the Pope or leaders of the INC, Abortion and other viewpoints which provoke intense reactions from both believers and non believers. Should be avoided at all costs. Law and public opinion is very much influenced by the Church in the wrong situation simply making a remark could end up with you in serious do do..

While there are many Phills who will make a big point of saying their religious. Dont forget the vast majority of Phills will besemi regular Church goers. Even with the Wifes very liberal, westernised Friends, God and Jesus will be mentioned with sincerity and much love.

aposhark
2nd January 2011, 09:01
what :censored: me off most was when our 7yr old girl had to go to confession :NoNo: what the :censored: can a 7yr old girl have to confess about :Erm:

your lucky graham, or maybe not, i went to a C & E school, dad was catholic and mom a jehovah wittness, and I as you can tell I am free from them all :rolleyes:

morals, honestly etc have little to do with religion :NoNo:

It should be the church and priests going to confession :cwm23:
As the churches keep on closing down, their influence will continue to wane even faster than it has done already :icon_lol:

aposhark
2nd January 2011, 09:06
Well the Pope and his mates at the Vatican don't seem to have the backsides out of their trousers :Erm: ...and all those graven images being worshipped. :rolleyes:

Don't be a wuss :icon_lol:

Jimbojac
2nd February 2011, 21:14
I was deep in the provinces one time and got lost down a dirt track.
This place was poor as hell, the whole scenario, run down Nippa huts, kids in rags and mangy dogs then low and behold one of their churches all gleaming white! Spend the cash on the people NOW! Like many religons they are brainwashing the poor masses about the afterlife.The monied few who are benefitting are real happy with all those 10% tithes coming in. SAD!!

grahamw48
2nd February 2011, 22:10
You've got it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
3rd February 2011, 01:34
Aposhark,

It was some korean film...

Now thats really worrying
:omg::omg::omg:

malditako
3rd February 2011, 08:57
INC has a strict doctrine...if you are late u need to pay a certain amount, if ur a choir and miss one of the practice u need to pay etc etc....:doh

grahamw48
3rd February 2011, 11:44
Great business plan. :)

Sad that poor people are being manipulated in this way though.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4781/richpoorman.jpg

joebloggs
3rd February 2011, 14:14
Great business plan. :)

Sad that poor people are being manipulated in this way though.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4781/richpoorman.jpg

.:xxgrinning--00xx3: so true :NoNo: