PDA

View Full Version : UK A1 English test examples

posthome
2nd January 2011, 04:30
Hi

Here is the URL for the 4 A1 Test Examples.

http://www.goalsci.com/elsaDemoTests/tests/writing.html
http://www.goalsci.com/elsaDemoTests/tests/reading.html
http://www.goalsci.com/elsaDemoTests/tests/listening.html
http://www.goalsci.com/elsaDemoTests/tests/speaking.html

Peter

No spamming or scam intended :doh

joebloggs
2nd January 2011, 09:41
no problems peter :xxgrinning--00xx3:
thanks for the links.. i'm sure it will be helpful for some filipina's
:rolleyes:

alanmf1
2nd January 2011, 11:10
Peter & Joe,

Thanks for the help and the links....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Regards

Josieyam65
2nd January 2011, 12:05
Hello Peter,

Thanks for the links... Its a big help for those who will take the level A1 test like me.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd January 2011, 12:54
from

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/partners-other-family/guidance-for-applicants.pdf

What is level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for language?
Level A1 is equivalent to ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Entry level or National Curriculum level 1 year 1 to 2. Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

How long will people have to study to meet the level required?
A1 is a basic level, which is judged to require 40-50 hours tuition for most learners.

What if I have already passed an A1 or above English language test but not from an approved provider?
You will need to re-take the test with one of the approved test providers.

Why does the list of approved tests and providers include some tests above A1 level?
Level A1 CEFR is the minimum standard applicants will need to meet. However, applicants can pass a test at a higher level with an approved test provider if they wish to do so.

A person who has level A2, B1, B2, C1 or C2 which tests speaking and listening (or speaking and listening plus reading and/or writing exceeds level A1.

I have taken a test at level A1 which tested reading and writing as well as speaking and listening skills. I passed speaking and listening but failed to reach A1 in reading and writing. Can I still use this test?
Providing you can demonstrate you have passed in speaking and listening at Level A1 with one of the approved test providers you can use this evidence. We are only using tests which can show separate scores for speaking and listening skills.

so maybe its possible you could just not bother doing the other parts and only do the speaking and listening parts (10 mins long)

alanmf1
3rd January 2011, 12:28
I have been in touch with STUDY CONNECT. They have branches is Makati,Bagiuo & CDO.
The Manila office offers A1 Test schedules daily @1pm and the CDO office has schedules on each Tuesday & Thursday @ 10am.
The cost is 7500pp with results given on normal turnaround of 10 - 15 days.
An "express" service is offered @ 10,500pp

They state that the TEST will take approx 1 hour!!!!!

e mail contacts..
studyconnectmanila@gmail.com
studyconnectcdo@gmail.com

Rgds

sars_notd_virus
3rd January 2011, 12:54
thanks peter very helpful links!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
3rd January 2011, 12:57
yes you probably cant just take the listening and speaking parts (which takes 10 mins ) :NoNo:

but make sure they have separate scores for each part as "We are only using tests which can show separate scores for speaking and listening skills" (from my previous post)

alfiemoon
4th January 2011, 10:21
from

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/partners-other-family/guidance-for-applicants.pdf

What is level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for language?
Level A1 is equivalent to ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Entry level or National Curriculum level 1 year 1 to 2. Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

How long will people have to study to meet the level required?
A1 is a basic level, which is judged to require 40-50 hours tuition for most learners.

What if I have already passed an A1 or above English language test but not from an approved provider?
You will need to re-take the test with one of the approved test providers.

Why does the list of approved tests and providers include some tests above A1 level?
Level A1 CEFR is the minimum standard applicants will need to meet. However, applicants can pass a test at a higher level with an approved test provider if they wish to do so.

A person who has level A2, B1, B2, C1 or C2 which tests speaking and listening (or speaking and listening plus reading and/or writing exceeds level A1.

I have taken a test at level A1 which tested reading and writing as well as speaking and listening skills. I passed speaking and listening but failed to reach A1 in reading and writing. Can I still use this test?
Providing you can demonstrate you have passed in speaking and listening at Level A1 with one of the approved test providers you can use this evidence. We are only using tests which can show separate scores for speaking and listening skills.

so maybe its possible you could just not bother doing the other parts and only do the speaking and listening parts (10 mins long)

The VFS Global website is not very clear on this topic. It takes you into the approved test providers of which there are 2. One of them, Hopkins, gives a range of choices of tests but does not say which one is required for the UK Settlement Visa. As it seems that the Applicant only has to demonstrate that they can Speak and Listen in English then it seems to me that the TOEIC Classic Test (L&R) costing PP1,700 is the appropriate one - can anyone please confirm? Anyone got any experience of this company?

Many thanks
Alfie

joebloggs
4th January 2011, 10:58
TOEIC Is on the list but doesn't mention classic test, but for the A1 test
Certificates awarded from January 2009, you need the following mark to pass.

Listening &
Reading - 120

Speaking &
Writing - 80

so from this, it doesn't look like you can just do the listening and speaking parts (the test you've mentioned (L & R i take it is listening and reading !))

looks like she might have to do the whole test (around about 1hr long) just to be able to do and get marks for the listening and speaking parts :angry:

might be a good idea to email the company in the Uk from the link and ask them which is valid and easier :icon_sorry:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/partners-other-family/english-tests-partners.pdf

ritchbellniesha
4th January 2011, 11:43
is this ielts equivalent??

joebloggs
4th January 2011, 12:59
is this ielts equivalent??

yes, should be

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – General Training or Academic Module
Cambridge ESOL
B1 grade needed 4.0
B2 5.5
C1 6.5

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/partners-other-family/english-tests-partners.pdf

again check with Tel: 0161 957 7755
Fax: 0161 957 7762
Email: general.enquiries@britishcouncil.org

fred
4th January 2011, 16:29
Hi

Here is the URL for the 4 A1 Test Examples.

http://www.goalsci.com/elsaDemoTests/tests/writing.html
http://www.goalsci.com/elsaDemoTests/tests/reading.html
http://www.goalsci.com/elsaDemoTests/tests/listening.html
http://www.goalsci.com/elsaDemoTests/tests/speaking.html

Peter

No spamming or scam intended :doh

No spam or scams detected, just good free information there Peter, although after checking out the first link I am pretty sure that many Filipino`s will have more than a little trouble with some of the grammar tests there.. I struggled with a few of them myself!
Perhaps some of them will need your assistance after all!!! :icon_lol:
Time will tell.
Keep posting!

joebloggs
4th January 2011, 19:02
although after checking out the first link I am pretty sure that many Filipino`s will have more than a little trouble with some of the grammar tests there.. I struggled with a few of them myself!
Perhaps some of them will need your assistance after all!!! :icon_lol:
Time will tell.
Keep posting!

thankfully you only need to pass the listening and speaking parts of the test :xxgrinning--00xx3:

alfiemoon
6th January 2011, 15:09
TOEIC Is on the list but doesn't mention classic test, but for the A1 test
Certificates awarded from January 2009, you need the following mark to pass.

Listening &
Reading - 120

Speaking &
Writing - 80

so from this, it doesn't look like you can just do the listening and speaking parts (the test you've mentioned (L & R i take it is listening and reading !))

looks like she might have to do the whole test (around about 1hr long) just to be able to do and get marks for the listening and speaking parts :angry:

might be a good idea to email the company in the Uk from the link and ask them which is valid and easier :icon_sorry:

Thanks Joe,

I think you might be right and she might have to do the whole tests i.e. 2 tests! I took your advice and emailed the company and also VFS. To be honest the replies were not crystal clear - somewhat ironic considering they are conducting English tests!!!!!! Why could they not have a test just for Speaking & Listening instead of having Speaking in one test and Listening in another?????????? I'm concerned now that she is going to have travel from the provinces to Manila more than once to do these tests.

Can anyone in this forum please tell me in simple English the following :-
1. What test(s) need to be taken.
2. The approximate costs.

Many thanks

Alfie

joebloggs
7th January 2011, 00:05
the trouble about the test is, the A1 test is the minimum level you need to pass and its an old type of test, its not a new one, but a standard the gov has said you need to be at, so there is no specific test (unlike the life in uk test) so there are different levels, exams and eqvilants you can take..

the test needs to cover listening and speaking at a minimum of level of A1
i think the cost is aorund £100, but that will vary from what test it is and the company, if she needs tutition that will of course cost more..

alfiemoon
7th January 2011, 11:09
the trouble about the test is, the A1 test is the minimum level you need to pass and its an old type of test, its not a new one, but a standard the gov has said you need to be at, so there is no specific test (unlike the life in uk test) so there are different levels, exams and eqvilants you can take..

the test needs to cover listening and speaking at a minimum of level of A1
i think the cost is aorund £100, but that will vary from what test it is and the company, if she needs tutition that will of course cost more..

Thanks Joe,
You're right in that the cost for the tests is about £100 but another problem is that the 2 tests are on different days - Sunday(!) and Tuesday - so she has to spend 2/3 nights in Manila!!!!

Seems to me that the UK & Filipino Govts are introducing more and more onerous conditions for us to be with our loved ones (ELT, CFO sticker, £750 visa fees etc). Frankly Im getting pretty angry about it. All we can do is grin and bear it - anyone else share my feelings?

Alfie

joebloggs
7th January 2011, 12:08
:icon_lol: its cost me more than £4000 for visas for my wife and kids

at least now they are all free of this money grabbing game :censored:

the test should only be 1 hr max ! (thou that does depend on the level and what board it is)

alfiemoon
7th January 2011, 12:54
:icon_lol: its cost me more than £4000 for visas for my wife and kids

at least now they are all free of this money grabbing game :censored:

the test should only be 1 hr max ! (thou that does depend on the level and what board it is)

Yep, 4 grand is going to be about the same for me when you add in flights etc. If I include hotels, subsistence etc its probably at least £6k !!!!!

Crazy World
Alfie

joebloggs
7th January 2011, 14:13
Yep, 4 grand is going to be about the same for me when you add in flights etc. If I include hotels, subsistence etc its probably at least £6k !!!!!

Crazy World
Alfie

i do mean £4k on visa's (3 settlement visas think they were around £500 each, FLR around £350, 2 * ilr must have been around £700 each, life in uk test * 2 a mere £70, citizenship for the misses think was around £700. :angry:

jeanelovesdeano
7th January 2011, 16:04
hi..im jeane from phil..hopefully, i will be apply spouse visa soon..i just would like to ask if whats the complete address of accredited test center for ESOL in Manila?..is there any contact number where i can inquire about the schedule of their exam...am i going to set an appointment for the schedule to them before i will take an exam..?so i will know when i can book my flight going to Manila..im far from Manila..im from Koronadal CIty, part of Mindanao..is there any center in Mindanao where we can have an ESOL exam?
i will appreciate your response ..thank you and Godbless

alanmf1
7th January 2011, 17:43
Jeane, If you follow the links on the previous threads you will find some helpful info.

This agency has and office in CDO if it helps you rather than go to Manila

http://studyconnectph.com/sc/

Rgds

mastergidd
10th January 2011, 12:47
Hi Jeane,

I took the test already. I am from Mindanao. I took the language test in cagayan de oro city which is one of their accredited testing centers in the Phils. I paid P 7, 500 for the test and deposited the amount to their BPI account. Since I am far from cagayan de oro city, I just had my documents scanned and sent it to them by email. You need to send the copy of your passport, marriage cert, 2 ID's and the deposit slip from BPI.

The test was scheduled at 9 am. You also need to bring with you one 2X2 ID picture for them to attach in your certificate when it will issued. It took just an hour for the test. I waited 7 working days for the results and the certificate to be issued. I had mine couriered to my place as I am far from Cagayan de Oro.

For more info:
http://studyconnectph.com/sc/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Terpe
10th January 2011, 15:02
mastergidd, Good info thanks for that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mastergidd
10th January 2011, 15:14
You're welcome, Terpe. :)

hockberg
10th January 2011, 21:36
Hi

Just reading though this post has pretty much answered my questions... It would appear that you need to do both the Speaking & Writing and Listening & Reading (funny how the companies have put the tests together that way around)

My other question was going to be about 7,500.00 being a little high! But once again I can see we're all being quoted the same.

For the help of others, Belinda and myself have emailed Study Connect Manila and this was their reply:

Hi there,

Well you can certainly take the exam with us for that purpose. Our requirements are as follows, your original passport, a photocopy of it and a passport size photo with white background. Our Examination Fee is PhP7,500.00, for resit / retake it's PhP2,500.00 per section.

Let me know where you're at so that I may direct you to our nearest branch.. Incidentally if you are within the Metropolis you can come by our office with your requirements and take the tests on the same day.. Our examination schedule is 1:30pm - 5:30pm, Mondays through Fridays but you have to come by earlier so that you may be able to go through some materials..

Yours,

Chen Pablo
emdmanila@gmail.com
886-7303 / +639162639212 / Skpe ID: emdsc_manila / chikka: emdmanila
Study Connect Manila
10th Floor 1003 Philippine Axa Life Centre
Gil Puyat Ave. Makati City
www.studyconnectph.com
www.studyconnectinternational.com

Hello there,

Can i ask what is the sections of the test? and also i just need speaking and listening and not to sit the test for writing.

last.

after i take the test and past it, you can give me a Certificate and do forward the test pass to the VFS electronically?

Thank u so much for any help you can give me in this matter.

Kind Regards

Hi Belinda,

You really have to sit down on it, you have to finish all three (3) sections, which are as follows, reading, writing, speaking and listening.. the tests we give is pretty simple compared to that of another company in Makati, that has about 900 items and their exam is TOEIC. Why don't you look that type of exam and see if you'll like it..

Results or certificate should be availabe 10-15 working days after taking the test..

If you decide to take the test with us, all you need to do is bring the requirements and be here before 1pm Mondays through Fridays.

Chen

I will ask Belinda to inquire to how they wish the fee to be paid, some members I see have said about making deposits at BDO, but I notice in the emails that Chen talks about bring the requirements to the office at 1pm (not sure, I think I'd rather deposit the fee with the bank and get a receipt)

I have also contacted the British Council = No help, They said that they only offer the IELTS exam.

We have had emails with Hopkins International Partner too... I would post the details too, but they was sent on a Adobe File, and not sure how to post a copy of that onto this forum, but if anyone wants, I can email it to you.

Study Connect say the results will be ready 10 - 15 days after the test, and doesn't mention pasting the results on to the VFS. I'm sure I read on the VFS website that you had to take the test at least 2 days before submitting the Visa Application so the test result would have time to be processed though to there system, I've looked at the website again, but can't find where I read it now... maybe I was just dreaming!

Thanks for everyones input into the thread, it's been helpful reading.

Scott

jeanelovesdeano
17th January 2011, 14:00
"I paid P 7, 500 for the test and deposited the amount to their BPI account."

Thanks for the information..I just would like to ask if it happen that if you will pay the money into the bank, how long you will be waiting for the schedule of your exam?are they going to call your for the schedule of an exam?..or is it ok to pay the test fee the same day/date of the exam?..how long will it take the exam?
you response is much appreciated ..thank you

sophiamarie
17th January 2011, 15:14
I paid mine in person and took the exam same day! it would be better off to visit their office personally!

good luck jeane

sophiamarie
17th January 2011, 15:15
if you have time, maybe you can read my post too...http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/29027-A-newbie-here!..who-is-going-to-share-my-immigration-history-time-line...

thanks

mastergidd
20th January 2011, 15:26
Hi Jeanlovesdeano,

There are 3 offices of the study connect international. Choose the one which is more convenient for you and give them a call. The contact numbers are in the link. They will be the one to schedule your test. Where do you intend to take the test?

http://studyconnectph.com/sc/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1