PDA

View Full Version : Which country is the Philippines in?

Ako Si Jamie
11th January 2011, 22:45
I phoned up my mobile phone provider today to ask if I can use my mobile to make calls in the Philippines.

This is how the conversation went.

ME : Hi, can you tell me, am I able to make calls in the Philippines with my mobile?

HIM : Huh? Can you repeat that.

ME : Am I able to make calls in the Philippines with my mobile?

HIM : The Philippines....erm....give me a minute!

A short pause

HIM : What country is the Philippines in?

ME : The Philippines IS a country!!!

HIM : OK, give me a minute

A longer pause

HIM : err.....can't seem to find it on my list

ME : Try looking under 'P' or 'T'

HIM : OK, give me a minute

An even longer pause

HIM : Puerto Rico, Poland....hmmm....it doesn't look like The Philippines is on here

ME : Have you looked under 'T'

HIM : Yes

ME : OK, thanks for your time!

When I got home I decided to give them another ring and lo and behold I got my answer in about 30 seconds. I can use my mobile in the Philippines no problem. :rolleyes: :)

Tawi2
11th January 2011, 22:47
Reminds me of the time I was asked in Pinas which part of America is London in :rolleyes:

sparky
11th January 2011, 22:54
Reminds me of the time I was asked in Pinas which part of America is London in :rolleyes:

yes i get that a lot

them - where you from

me i am from England

them- pause- oh wat part of america is that

me -grrrrr:cwm23:

:D

i dont mind them being crap at geography but i do resent being classed as a septic:censored:

Jamesey
11th January 2011, 23:48
The one I like is:

"Where are you from?"
"England".
"Really? What language do they speak there?"

:Erm:

Arthur Little
12th January 2011, 00:14
Back in 1992, I was travelling on an overnight Greyhound Coach from Ashland, Kentucky to New York City. During one of the regular stops en route ... for passengers to stretch their legs, have a smoke ... or whatever ... I got chatting to the driver. "Ye~ew from Ireland?" he asked, quizzically. "Scotland", I corrected him. :doh

"Scatland?" Whurr's theat? :rolleyes: came the reply.

Arthur Little
12th January 2011, 00:23
Yanks, eh!? Which reminds me: Anyone heard the :joke: about 'Polaris' knickers?

One yank ... :action-smiley-081:

... and they're down! :Help1:

Manila_Paul
12th January 2011, 03:04
Back in 1992, I was travelling on an overnight Greyhound Coach from Ashland, Kentucky to New York City. During one of the regular stops en route ... for passengers to stretch their legs, have a smoke ... or whatever ... I got chatting to the driver. "Ye~ew from Ireland?" he asked, quizzically. "Scotland", I corrected him. :doh

"Scatland?" Whurr's theat? :rolleyes: came the reply.

haha, Scatland was where Scatman John was from, of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWBAy3bATI

fred
12th January 2011, 05:37
"Where are you from?"
"England".
"Really? Thats the capital of America right?"
"Right.":xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
12th January 2011, 05:44
Filipino: "Where are you from?"
Me: "London".
Filipino:"Really? Thats where the Beatles come from right?"
Me:"Right!!
Filipino:"Ahh..I know because my sister is there..She`s a nurse"
Me:"Really? They have Filipino nurses in London? I didn't know that!"

dontpushme
12th January 2011, 05:51
yes i get that a lot

them - where you from

me i am from England

them- pause- oh wat part of america is that

me -grrrrr:cwm23:

:D

i dont mind them being crap at geography but i do resent being classed as a septic:censored:

One thing I learned just last month is that there's a place here in Arkansas called England. No wonder why these crazy rednecks kept asking me why my boyfriend only visited me once or twice a year if we were so close to one another.:doh

joebloggs
12th January 2011, 07:00
I phoned up my mobile phone provider today to ask if I can use my mobile to make calls in the Philippines.

were you asking about a cheap rate addon package to call the phils ? from what i've seen upto now no service prodviders include the phils at a cheaper rate.

Englishman2010
12th January 2011, 07:09
The one I like is:

"Where are you from?"
"England".
"Really? What language do they speak there?"

:Erm:

Yep, Taxi driver asked me the same thing last week:doh

mindanao
12th January 2011, 08:03
an old man asked me " where is your friend from?" I told the old guy , He (my friend ) is from UK.. He paused:Erm: look at me at the eyes and said " from Ukay Ukay.:icon_lol::doh

Manila_Paul
12th January 2011, 10:34
Yep, Taxi driver asked me the same thing last week:doh

haha, this reminds me of a funny I've had with a taxi driver in Manila too. I mentioned to him that I was from England but my parents are from Ireland. He then said something that just completely threw me: "The Soloman Islands... that is an American colony, isn't it?".... so after picking myself up off the floor :icon_lol:I tried again with: 'No, Ireland, the country near England. It is not an American colony. It used to be a British colony'. Cue a perplexed look from the taxi driver and silence. A few minutes later and he asks 'So... do you visit the Soloman Islands much?' :doh Then I corrected him again and once again he asked something about the Soloman Islands - so I just gave up and played along! :crazy:

What makes me laugh about this is 1) if you're mistaking Ireland for 'Island' then it could be any Island in the world. Where did he get the Soloman Islands from? 2) How come he is aware of the tiny Soloman Islands (population about 500,000 and a British colony, not American) and not the entire nation of Ireland? Classic. :icon_lol:

grahamw48
12th January 2011, 11:21
Why don't they just do geography at school these days ?....or buy a bloody map ?

It's supposed to be a global economy isn't it ? :NoNo:

As for the idiots in America; you don't have to be Einstein to realise that most of their cities were named after those in the mother country.:rolleyes:

I live in York...the one they named New York after.
Mine is the ORIGINAL 2000 year old one.
There are towns called 'York' all over America and elsewhere in the world, but if it says UNITED KINGDOM after it ? :doh

This is one of my pet hates. I don't pretend to have been a geography genius at school, but the ignorance of some people just makes me :cwm23:, when every day movies, news programmes, documentaries etc are there for people to learn from, even if they never lifted a pen at school.

sparky
12th January 2011, 13:44
Graham,

in their defence i guess their education for many there is very basic and any geography would concentrate on their own country.

certainly for most the level of education at school would be nowhere near anything we have in this country.

and have you seen the TV in the Philippines?? talking crabs etc :Erm::Erm:

fred
12th January 2011, 13:57
certainly for most the level of education at school would be nowhere near anything we have in this country.

Not true,,My kids study here and in Maths and Science at least they are far in advance of their old school mates in the UK.. Where it falls down is English(American style) and Geography but as we bought some really high quality books from the UK that will not be a problem.. The problem is that the UK Universities will probably not accept their high school grades and the reason they may have to return and **** up my early retirement..
Cheers,
Fred.

sparky
12th January 2011, 14:05
Not true,,My kids study here and in Maths and Science at least they are far in advance of their old school mates in the UK.. Where it falls down is English(American style) and Geography but as we bought some really high quality books from the UK that will not be a problem.. The problem is that the UK Universities will probably not accept their high school grades and the reason they may have to return and **** up my early retirement..
Cheers,
Fred.

in that case i stand corrected but i was basing my observation on what my wife had told me.

joebloggs
12th January 2011, 14:31
many degrees gained in the phils are not recognised by Naric as being equivalent to many Uk degrees becuase of the number of hours studied.

grahamw48
12th January 2011, 14:41
Graham,

in their defence i guess their education for many there is very basic and any geography would concentrate on their own country.

and have you seen the TV in the Philippines?? talking crabs etc :Erm::Erm:

I was having a go at the Yanks, not the Phils. ;)

My kids went to school in the Phils for 3 years, and then I brought them back here to finish the education that they'd started in the UK.

They've all done really well.

Some aspects of the Phils (private school) education system are ahead, and some behind compared to here, but it's mainly about the order that they teach things in.

Natural History lesson in England...collecting Pine cones: :)

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4825/various2001.jpg

sparky
12th January 2011, 15:20
well Graham,

if your having a go at the septics then you have gone right up in my estimation:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
12th January 2011, 21:04
Ukay Ukay
You got him second hand then :icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
12th January 2011, 21:43
were you asking about a cheap rate addon package to call the phils ? from what i've seen upto now no service prodviders include the phils at a cheaper rate. I only want to use it for urgent calls. It's £2 a minute so I'll be texting more than phoning.

sars_notd_virus
12th January 2011, 21:48
It could be acceptable if he ask which islands in the Philippines??? but which country is the Philippines in ??meaning he hasnt ever look a map in his entire life :Cuckoo:lol

Sim11UK
12th January 2011, 22:06
an old man asked me " where is your friend from?" I told the old guy , He (my friend ) is from UK.. He paused:Erm: look at me at the eyes and said " from Ukay Ukay.:icon_lol::doh

You got him second hand then :icon_lol:

Can I change my name to Sim11UkayUkay? :Erm: 20 pesos lang :D

Tawi2
12th January 2011, 22:29
UkayUkay
I always have a rummage,its fun,I actually found a stall that had a load of used ladies undergarments and an absolutely HUGE bra,the tindera was laughing when she saw me pick it up :Erm:I never once met a pinay who could have done it justice,can only think it was used to tether jackfruit up the tree while they ripened :Erm:

Sim11UK
13th January 2011, 00:07
I always have a rummage,its fun,I actually found a stall that had a load of used ladies undergarments and an absolutely HUGE bra,the tindera was laughing when she saw me pick it up :Erm:I never once met a pinay who could have done it justice,can only think it was used to tether jackfruit up the tree while they ripened :Erm:

:icon_lol: That's funny...So you like to dress up then? :Erm: (cough)

grahamw48
13th January 2011, 00:57
I've had the spies out: :D

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7429/fatmaid8796430va9.jpg

fred
13th January 2011, 01:01
On a serious note..The items found in an Ukay Ukay store are the old junk that people in the west leave out side for the "charity collectors"..
A pair of old trainers here can cost between 500 and 1.200 PHP in an UKay store none of which will ever find the feet of a poor homeless kid working on Smokey mountain for example.. People here actually pay 100.00 Pesos for an "imported" worn out grubby tee shirt as they think its a bargain...NOT!!:doh
When In the UK,I`d much rather take it all down the dump then to give it to these scamsters..

mindanao
13th January 2011, 01:04
:icon_lol: last night ,while with group of oldies, i asked my friends mother, where is Cherry now, she told me she is in London:rolleyes: Oh, i thought she is in Manchester as what her facebook says.. The mother told me Manchester is in London:doh

Sim11UK
13th January 2011, 07:53
:icon_lol: last night ,while with group of oldies, i asked my friends mother, where is Cherry now, she told me she is in London:rolleyes: Oh, i thought she is in Manchester as what her facebook says.. The mother told me Manchester is in London:doh

Don't tell Joebloggs that...he'd keel over. :omg: :)

Sim11UK
13th January 2011, 08:11
On a serious note..The items found in an Ukay Ukay store are the old junk that people in the west leave out side for the "charity collectors"..
A pair of old trainers here can cost between 500 and 1.200 PHP in an UKay store none of which will ever find the feet of a poor homeless kid working on Smokey mountain for example.. People here actually pay 100.00 Pesos for an "imported" worn out grubby tee shirt as they think its a bargain...NOT!!:doh
When In the UK,I`d much rather take it all down the dump then to give it to these scamsters..

Fred I don't think you'd recognise your local dump now in the UK?...It's not a case of just dumping everything, anything recyclable, has to be put in the right bin...It's quite a stressful experience these days, trying to sort everything out & put it where it's supposed to go. :bigcry:

...It's amazing what is for sale though in the Philippines, every type of old magazine 'Homes & Garden' etc. all wrapped up in cellophane & for sale in the malls.

malditako
13th January 2011, 08:19
what my experience was and still...people here in UK always ask me if im a "THAI"...one time i was on a bus going to notts center theres this asian girl kept looking at me and smiling ( i knew she wans't filipino) so i smiled back..when we both off the bus she start talking to me in different language lol...i said "excuse me?" and to her suprised she said oh im sorry i thought ur from thailand as well...:yikes:

stevewool
13th January 2011, 08:30
thats right grace , still i get so many saying that i have been to thailand and thats where emma is from, then when i did try to explain its not , well weres the phils then they asked:doh

Nick30
13th January 2011, 12:52
What is the mobile phone network for Tmoible or Vodafone in the Phils? When I was in Malta Tmobile is Vodafone MT and France Tmobile is Bouygoes or SFR. Can you get GPS on your 3G mobile in the Phils. It shows you Manila if you're near there. I have radio on my mobile and if I have it in the Phils I get Tagalog radio lol with the RDS displayed e.g. Phils FM etc
With GPS weather I guess it would store the place where you are Manila or Taigung or Cebu whereever you are in the Phils. Where I am in UK it's Horsham.
Would like to hear some good info please. I recently got a new Blackberry 3G for my birthday and Christmas. :D

Nick30
13th January 2011, 16:05
If any want to know, the Philippines is in South East Asia:)

Jimbojac
2nd February 2011, 20:40
well Graham,

if your having a go at the septics then you have gone right up in my estimation:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
Was with a yank many moons ago in Bali and he questioned why he was called a Septic!?
I said " Mate it rhymes with Yank and is also full of sh*t!" Enough said!:Jump::Rasp: