PDA

View Full Version : Is SWEARING part of the English Language???

sars_notd_virus
12th January 2011, 19:01
Ok,so we have a couple of swear words in the Philippines that we use when we are very angry but here In England I have noticed, you have a multitude of swear words and they are used for every occassion, Anger, Pleasure, Happiness, Sadness ...

Is this just normal?? or am I in the wrong crowd as i find myself starting to use it more frequently now as well:rolleyes::D:furious3::angry::icon_lol:

gWaPito
12th January 2011, 19:26
No Sars, its not normal to swear like that. It shows you are not able to express yourself without resorting to expletives. We have the finest dictionary in the world, if one cant find words to express well, it just shows a lack of education and reading! just my opinion!

There are plenty of swear words in the English dictionary...
I use the most colourful of them whilst trying to avoid tricycles, Jeeps and multi cabs.. I find it prevents me from giving them an accidental nudge..

Terpe
12th January 2011, 19:59
No Sars, its not normal to swear like that. It shows you are not able to express yourself without resorting to expletives. We have the finest dictionary in the world, if one cant find words to express well, it just shows a lack of education and reading! just my opinion!

I fully agree with this.
Sars, please make an effort not to use swear words as a matter of course. You really don't need to use them to express yourself.

When Carina first started working here in UK she really learnt a lot of NEW words. I explained the meanings and asked her not to use them. It's just not necessary and is so easily used against you as a value judgement.

Personally, I never normally swear in everyday communications. (Well, sometimes I do but I can pick my times).
I have met plenty of people who use the 'F' word constantly when talking. They don't seem to notice how it offends and embaresses most people especially their wives. Just a complete lack of understanding. Often its such a habit they don't even recogonise they are doing it.
And not only men, some of Carina's British girlfriends use the worst language imaginable as normal communication.
In my view not in the least bit appealing. In fact just the opposite.

Whoops! rant over.

sars_notd_virus
12th January 2011, 20:57
Thank you guys and calm down am still not using '' F'' word or F'ing and blinding all over the place...but i noticed swearing is more prevalent here...but am a good girl:D:innocent1:

Tawi2
12th January 2011, 20:58
How many times have I heard different pinays/pinoys murmer "Putang ina" when stubbing a toe or dropping a dish ;)
Depends upon the company,if at a neighbours BBQ filled with middle-class professionals(I stick out like a sore thumb)nary a curse nor profanity pass my lips,if with a group of mates Gordon Ramsay himself inhabits my body and my tourettes kicks into over-drive :NoNo:

sars_notd_virus
12th January 2011, 21:08
Gordon Ramsay himself inhabits my body and my tourettes kicks into over-drive :NoNo:

Hmm, I know what you mean:iagree:

sparky
12th January 2011, 21:17
when i get fustrated over something i tend to say " for F**ks sake "

when Myrna first came over she used to get upset when i said this thinking it was meant at her so we had to have a conversation were i had to explain it wasnt directed at her but it was just a reactive comment- wish i had known about the "putang ina " then would have made it a lot easier

Ako Si Jamie
12th January 2011, 21:54
Most of the people I know swear fairly frequently and some of them are intelligent individuals.

I can be in company where I'm disciplined enough not to swear (usually!). On the other hand if I'm behind the wheel, I've got a whole repertoire of swear words that get used a lot. :D

gWaPito
12th January 2011, 22:40
Im refering to Jamie's post. Im sure if your intelligent friends had filipina wife's, im sure they would curb they swearing. I agree with the swearing behind the wheel. I tend to use the word 'prick' but, not alot! And not with the wife sat next to me, im not brave enough.

sparky
12th January 2011, 22:55
of course there was the time when the wife came back from a car boot with some knee high black leather boots and i said ****** me boots with a big grin on my face:omg:

mindanao
13th January 2011, 00:25
thanks for bringing up the topic sars. Working with westerners , i haven't heard them spoken about " F" during meetings with Pinoys, most i can hear ' Bullshit" when they are angry/disappointed. :) However, when these westerners are in their group and talking the same topic that made one angry or disappointed, the "F" words is like the punctuation mark in every every sentence uttered:doh. I noticed they tend to be sensitive too, knowing that they have been warned about "don't utter that word in a group of pinoys/pinays" .

bornatbirth
13th January 2011, 00:53
Is SWEARING part of the English Language???

are you :censored: kidding me, of course it :censored: is :icon_lol:

grahamw48
13th January 2011, 01:09
Too ******* right it is ! :D

(Except in certain circumstances, and in front of the kids). :)

mickcant
13th January 2011, 01:14
From my working days men tended to use swear words between themselves, but not if women are present:NoNo:

I noticed the other day my youngest son who is in his 40s swears so much he does not seem to realise he is doing it.
I agree there is no need for it, but could not say I never have:crazy:
Mick.:)

fred
13th January 2011, 01:15

There are plenty of swear words in the English dictionary...
I use the most colourful of them whilst trying to avoid tricycles, Jeeps and multi cabs..
I find it prevents me from giving them the odd accidental nudge.. *****!!

Rosie1958
13th January 2011, 01:27
Ok,so we have a couple of swear words in the Philippines that we use when we are very angry but here In England I have noticed, you have a multitude of swear words and they are used for every occassion, Anger, Pleasure, Happiness, Sadness ...

Is this just normal?? or am I in the wrong crowd as i find myself starting to use it more frequently now as well:rolleyes::D:furious3::angry::icon_lol:

Swearing isn't part of my English language ....... I don't do it at all :)

malditako
13th January 2011, 08:28
swearing in a regular manner...i think u can notice that everywhere even in phils....i think it depends how they brought up and depends on the kind of enviroment they grew up with....upbringing based...as in phils even professionals swears a lot while at work.

stevewool
13th January 2011, 08:38
i try not to swear, and it only happens when i am upset or angry , which is not very often:icon_lol:, but at work well thats differant when you here some people swear infront of there kids too , thats upsetting , that is one thing i have never done but we are all different, plus what is a swear word now days

Terpe
13th January 2011, 10:12
Interesting thread and some revealing opinions.

Even though the general impact of swearing or profanity seems to be getting less, there are different types of swearing and some words are considered significantly more offensive than others.

It appears that most members here recognise that fact to some degree or other, and may try to avoid the very worst words depending upon who they are talking to.

Well how about depending upon who is within earshot??
Children?
Women?
Elderly?
Families?

How about swearing as humiliation, provocation,harassment or bullying.

My guess is that the use of racial profanity is the most highly avoided.

I believe that if you have trouble speaking without swearing, you have a problem.
If every other word in your sentence is **** this or **** that, you have a problem.
When you think the only 'cool' way to respond to friends or work collegues is by swearing, then you have a problem.

Just my opinion.
No offence intended.

sars_notd_virus
13th January 2011, 11:46
However, when these westerners are in their group and talking the same topic that made one angry or disappointed, the "F" words is like the punctuation mark in every every sentence uttered:doh. I noticed they tend to be sensitive too, knowing that they have been warned about "don't utter that word in a group of pinoys/pinays" .

when i get fustrated over something i tend to say " for F**ks sake "

when Myrna first came over she used to get upset when i said this thinking it was meant at her so we had to have a conversation were i had to explain it wasnt directed at her but it was just a reactive comment- wish i had known about the "putang ina " then would have made it a lot easier

They don't seem to notice how it offends and embaresses most people especially their wives. Just a complete lack of understanding. Often its such a habit they don't even recogonise they are doing it.

This is true!!...when I was still in LDR with my hubby I often remind him to ''mind his language'',, only if he is feeling sick and upset that he swears a lot...but when I came here I was amused on how it was used in all parts of emotions...(e.g ..I'm f*** feeling so low ,Oh b****** i won the lottery!! wtf is wrong with you??oh my that girl is f'ing b****is awesome!!)

sars_notd_virus
13th January 2011, 12:00
(Except in certain circumstances, and in front of the kids). :)

Interesting thread and some revealing opinions.

Even though the general impact of swearing or profanity seems to be getting less, there are different types of swearing and some words are considered significantly more offensive than others.

It appears that most members here recognise that fact to some degree or other, and may try to avoid the very worst words depending upon who they are talking to.

Well how about depending upon who is within earshot??
Children?

Kids are very intelligent these days ...my daughter often asked us about some swear words and we explain her what it means and we remind her that it is bad and not correct to use it as what she hears it..only when being provoke to do so.

sars_notd_virus
13th January 2011, 12:04
I agree there is no need for it, but could not say I never have:crazy:
Mick.:)

You got it Mick!! ...its good to know some 'bad' words and utilize it !!and not be able to have a slap on the face and say thank you and same to you??...
in other words and in simple terms, just like any other foreigner in a different country ,we should learn the swear words first so we may be able to defend ourselves in simple and abrupt manner..without looking at the dictionary or the mighty google!!:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
13th January 2011, 13:25
Correct me if im wrong guys but British people is also known for being polite and carry their manners on their shoulders everyday,its part of their culture ...hearing and saying thank you,pardon me,sorry being uttered 10times or more in a day ,but swearing is also part of it,just being nosey!!

fred
13th January 2011, 13:48
Very interesting subject this.. Personally swearing does not offend me in the least..

"MYTH: Swearing shows a poor ability to express oneself.

In contrast, swearing is very expressive. On the surface, the directive **** off! denotes the same as go away! but the connotations of the former as far more telling and descriptive.

Does this accuser expect poetry and Wildean wit every time you open your ******* mouth? Nah…people who use this criticism are just pissed off because you swore at them and want to seek a higher moral ground. These are people who are pompous and prejudiced about language, and admire things like good ‘penmanship’."

http://www.bad-language.com/****

gWaPito
13th January 2011, 15:14
Why is it folk in The Philippines rarely use the words Thank you, please pardon ? I found that suprising if not shocking at first , thats was the first words I had drumed into me as a child at junior school, seeing how they use English as base in school. I agree to a point with Fred's last post.

grahamw48
13th January 2011, 15:24
Probably because the Yanks don't use it much either, and that's where their 'English' comes from. :)

JimOttley
13th January 2011, 15:44
Why is it folk in The Philippines rarely use the words Thank you, please pardon ? I found that suprising if not shocking at first , thats was the first words I had drumed into me as a child at junior school, seeing how they use English as base in school. I agree to a point with Fred's last post.

Because most of them are saying salamat po, paki (please) or pasensya na.

I have heard plenty people say pardon me po, sori po, thank you po, but our family and friends are very polite.

fred
13th January 2011, 15:45
Why is it folk in The Philippines rarely use the words Thank you, please pardon ?

No idea Gwapito but it really ****** me off as well!! Certain malls in Manila are training their staff to be ultra polite which actually makes a pleasant change..
Here in Bohol the checkout girls are a bunch of miserable *******s and I for one resent handing over the cash at times..
Today I picked up a bag of rice (5 Kilos) and it split in my hands..rice everywhere!! In the UK I would apologise and show signs of regret..Here I just pick up another bag and head for the check out..

fred
13th January 2011, 15:49
Because most of them are saying salamat po, paki (please) or pasensya na.

I have heard plenty people say pardon me po, sori po, thank you po, but our family and friends are very polite.

Jim...I have been told that I over use the words Salamat and paki.. It has been suggested Im being OTT!!...Oh well....When in Rome..

gWaPito
13th January 2011, 16:32
Sorry Jim I will have to disagree with you on that one. I dont think for one moment they are using there Tagalog versions. Fred's is spot on again. He does live there, after all.

Arthur Little
13th January 2011, 18:01
If we were to examine Sars' question in its literal context ... "Is SWEARING part of the English Language?" ... then what would the correct answer be? Whether we like to admit to it or not, I daresay there are very few Brits who [I] haven't, at some point in their lives, sworn - uttering the odd "oath" or :cuss: - (and I'm certainly no exception!).

Going back to when I was at school ... from 1949 to 1961 ... I seem to recall none of the Etymological English Dictionaries - with which we were issued - ever containing words that were then considered rude. (Not that it stopped us using them - for sheer devilment if nothing else!). But times changed radically over the intervening decades since ... so that nowadays virtually all reputable dictionaries define words that leave practically nothing to the imagination. And rightly so! And while I'm not condoning the toleration of *foul language to the extent where nowadays every second word that trips off the tongue appears to be a swear word, *its use (in a modified sense) can prove beneficial - even therapeutic - in appropriate circumstances, e.g. as an outlet for extreme anger :cwm23: or frustration.

raynaputi
13th January 2011, 18:27
saying things that fred pointed out (ie thank you, sorry, please, etc.), you would usually hear it depends on how the person is brought up. it's not a matter of if filipinos know when to say it but it's the person's attitude. the moment the kid can understand it's meaning (some as early as 2yrs old) it's been taught to them. thats what we did when we taught my nephew before about it. so if someone dont give a damn about these values then you'll rarely hear it from them. it's their upbringing.

about the swearing, i think it's how someone takes it. i used to swear a lot when i was in college coz me and my friends take it as a joke..but of course we dont swear when we're with other people. this changed when i started working coz i have to be professional. eventhough i still use some of them, rarely though, it still depends who i'm with.

Arthur Little
13th January 2011, 18:45

it still depends who i'm with.

:iagree: ... and I think that's the point! A lot does - or should - depend on the company we are in ... although, I have to admit to resorting to a few "naughty" words in front of my minister of all people ... during my three and a half years as his *Church Officer - *NOT an easy job :nono-1-1: when you're at the beck and call of every "Tom, Dick & Harry" in a large congregation!

gWaPito
13th January 2011, 18:50
I thought it was I, who brought about the ' please thank you and the pardon' bit Never mind. I think you are right Lady mod, its to do with upbringing. If the parents aren't going to say it, how does one expect the children to say it. The swearing bit, I too agree with Lady mod, if its a bunch of guys mates work mates then, of course it all fair game. I was meaning in front of women and kids in general. My cousins or, rather a couple of them, in there early 30's started swearing in front of my Mum on Christmas day It turn't my skin, I can tell you. I didnt say anything, my fellow siblings where expecting me to go off on one, i didnt of course, getting older has its good points, getting mellow!

raynaputi
13th January 2011, 18:56
yeah me and my siblings too cant swear in front of my parents and the old folks..eventhough these folks do it in front of us sometimes, we cant do the same coz we still respect them. we have to be careful too when kids are with us. and we just have to continuously remind the kids that whatever swearing they hear from other people aren't good.

Terpe
13th January 2011, 19:05
Rant warning.

Wherever you stand on swearing, it is, unfortunately, part of life in UK for many people.
It appears to cut across age, cultural and class barriers.

So why do I sometimes get wound up about foul language in public?
Well, it's because of the kind of mindless swearing I hear around me every day. Rightly or wrongly, to me it represent a discourtesy, a lack of vocabulary skills and almost a form of environmental pollution.

It seems that for every person, like me, who dislikes public swearing there is always someone else who views it as a modern, creative liberating force.

Should I should just chill out, relax and accept cursing as just another means of self-expression?

After all cursing has been part of the heritage of English literature for centuries.
Chaucer and Shakespeare, for example, were both enthusiastic blasphemers.
The religious swear words they used have now given way to the sexual ones use today.
Their popularity also driven once again, by writers, such as DH Lawrence or Dylan Thomas.

So is it an art form, a modern creative liberating force, a badge of social acceptability or merely the last refuge of the ignorant and linguistically challenged.

To be honest, anyone can punctuate their phrases with a few 'F' words. But I think it actually takes a connoisseur to make it both interesting and a statement of their individual personality. Unlike the prolific cursing and dumbing down of the linguistically tedious Gordon Ramsay, and many British comedians.

when it comes to swearing – context is everything.

No matter how liberated you are, I'm sure you don't want to stand at a supermarket check-out and hear the assistant shout: "Can you give me a price on this f***ing bread? I can't find a f***ing bar code."
It just doesn't sound right. Does it??

Or at work to be told "sorry I'm f***ing late, but the f***ing alarm didn't f***ing go off and the f***ing bus was f***ing late,"
Would feel anything?

Tawi2
13th January 2011, 20:06
F*ck
one of the most interesting words in the English language today is the word F*ck
Out of all the English words that begin with the letter F, F*ck is the only word referred to as The F word.
It's the one magical word that just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love.
F*ck, as most words in the English language, is derived from German.
The word Flicken which means To strike.
In English, F*ck falls into many grammatical categories.
As a transitive verb for instance, John f*cked Shirley, as an intransitive verb, Shirley f*cks.
It's meaning is not always sexual.
It can be used as an adjective such as, John's doing all the f*cking work.
As part of an adverb, Shirley talks too f*cking much.
As an adverb enhancing an adjective, Shirley is f*cking beautiful.
As the object of an adverb, Shirley is f*cking beautifully.
As a noun: I don't give a f*ck.
As part of a word: Abso-f*cking-lutly¯ or In-f*cking-credible.¯
And as almost every work in a sentence: F*ck the f*cking f*ckers.
As you may realize, there are very few words with the versatility of F*ck.
As in these examples describing situations such as,
Fraud: I got f*cked at the used car lot.
Dismay: Aww, f*ck it, Trouble: I guess I'm really f*cked now.
Aggression: Don't f*ck with me buddy.
Difficulty: I don't understand this f*cking question.
Inquiry: Who the f*ck was that.
Dissatisfaction: I don't like what the f*ck is going on here.
Incompetence: He's a f*ck off.
Dismissal: Why don't...

gWaPito
13th January 2011, 20:18
Nice one Terpe, I will give you a rep for that when I get to my home pc. Sorry Fred I have to agree with Terpe. As for the 'F' I find its at its most magical said in bed by your wife, while in the heat of passion, with the word, 'ME' on the end of it!

JimOttley
14th January 2011, 01:58
Sorry Jim I will have to disagree with you on that one. I dont think for one moment they are using there Tagalog versions. Fred's is spot on again. He does live there, after all.
That is not my general experience of the people over there gwap, I have found most checkout girls, restaurant staff and workers in general to be very polite, if I buy from a street vendor I almost always get a salamat po or salamat ho if the person selling is a bit older than me.

Now queueing etiquette is poor and "excuse me" is something I rarely hear over there.

Filipino's I have worked with here in the UK were excruciatingly polite to the point that it was embarrassing sometimes.

Again in my experience if I help someone out over there it is rare that I don't get a kind word in return.

Maybe my experience is atypical but I have spent over 400 days there out of the last 6 years.

fred
14th January 2011, 03:05
No matter how liberated you are, I'm sure you don't want to stand at a supermarket check-out and hear the assistant shout: "Can you give me a price on this f***ing bread? I can't find a f***ing bar code."
It just doesn't sound right. Does it??

Or at work to be told "sorry I'm f***ing late, but the f***ing alarm didn't f***ing go off and the f***ing bus was f***ing late,"
Would feel anything?

Thanks for that Terpe!! Made me laugh so much I spilt my tea and split my sides!!:icon_lol: Great stuff!

fred
14th January 2011, 03:11
F*ck
one of the most interesting words in the English language today is the word F*ck
Out of all the English words that begin with the letter F, F*ck is the only word referred to as The F word.
It's the one magical word that just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love.
F*ck, as most words in the English language, is derived from German.
The word Flicken which means To strike.
In English, F*ck falls into many grammatical categories.
As a transitive verb for instance, John f*cked Shirley, as an intransitive verb, Shirley f*cks.
It's meaning is not always sexual.
It can be used as an adjective such as, John's doing all the f*cking work.
As part of an adverb, Shirley talks too f*cking much.
As an adverb enhancing an adjective, Shirley is f*cking beautiful.
As the object of an adverb, Shirley is f*cking beautifully.
As a noun: I don't give a f*ck.
As part of a word: Abso-f*cking-lutly¯ or In-f*cking-credible.¯
And as almost every work in a sentence: F*ck the f*cking f*ckers.
As you may realize, there are very few words with the versatility of F*ck.
As in these examples describing situations such as,
Fraud: I got f*cked at the used car lot.
Dismay: Aww, f*ck it, Trouble: I guess I'm really f*cked now.
Aggression: Don't f*ck with me buddy.
Difficulty: I don't understand this f*cking question.
Inquiry: Who the f*ck was that.
Dissatisfaction: I don't like what the f*ck is going on here.
Incompetence: He's a f*ck off.
Dismissal: Why don't...

Tawi.. Apparently you are not allowed to circumvent the swear filter!!
(Dont make me edit that lot!! It`ll take me all ******* day..You do it!)

keithAngel
14th January 2011, 04:20
Excellent Tawi i will show that to Jhean so she can see my command of the f word is awesome :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
14th January 2011, 13:25
thank you guys for the good and more confusing opinions!!

In relation to my thread as far as I can read all your views..the nature/nurture has been a long debate for ages...for me, its not the nature (environment) that allows the human to be what he is..its nurture(care/genes/innate qualities) that makes a person who he is or who he comes out to be.

In nature there is ofcourse aggression, but where swearing is more prevalant in the nurture I guess it will carry through.

gWaPito
14th January 2011, 20:03
Hi Jim Im refering to your post 39. Im not doubting you for one minute! Like Fred said, 'in Manila the Malls have improved but not in Bohol' What I have experienced is the opposite of what you have. Jim, you will have to tell us your secret. Is it smiling more?, please do tell us Jim. :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
14th January 2011, 23:21
Hi Jim Im refering to your post 39. Im not doubting you for one minute! Like Fred said, 'in Manila the Malls have improved but not in Bohol' What I have experienced is the opposite of what you have. Jim, you will have to tell us your secret. Is it smiling more?, please do tell us Jim. :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Fair enough, I can't comment on the southern islands we've only been down that way a couple of times.

I'm not really talking about just the malls, it's something I have found generally in my travels round Luzon and yes I do tend to smile a lot but it also helps a lot that Ana is great conversationalist :)

Our son James was also often with us and he is and was very very cute maybe that helped melt the ice on a lot of occasions :D I don't know it's just what I experienced.

Sim11UK
14th January 2011, 23:52
Jim I would agree with you, I've found most people to be polite...I'm talking down on Mindanao now.
...Probably true, about check out girls, being miserable when you're buying groceries, but they are here too, so it's probably a worldwide phenomenon?

What I don't much like in the Phils is instead of saying excuse me, they say 'scuse & push through...Just a British thing I guess?

...As for swearing, yeah why not...not blatant, but just as a release valve. :)

fred
14th January 2011, 23:55
In nature there is ofcourse aggression, but where swearing is more prevalant in the nurture I guess it will carry through.

I never ever heard my parents swear so there goes that theory!!

JimOttley
15th January 2011, 00:06
What I don't much like in the Phils is instead of saying excuse me, they say 'scuse & push through...Just a British thing I guess?

Yeah queue etiquette is a British thing I guess :)

As for swearing, well if I ever accidentally swear during an argument with Ana it's instant Tampo and usually lasts a week or so :doh I try not to swear where possible but as you say as a release valve it can be useful.

Arthur Little
15th January 2011, 00:18
Jim I would agree with you, I've found most people to be polite...I'm talking down on Mindanao now.

:iagree: ... my own view IS, they could teach the British a thing or two about manners and politeness in general. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... my point exactly!

gWaPito
15th January 2011, 00:28
Good post Steve L. I grew up watching the late 60's 70's tv. Man from Uncle, Kojak and Starsky and Hutch was about American I watched, pretty tame to todays fare! I agree Steve L The UK has gone to pot Never to be the same again.

grahamw48
15th January 2011, 00:31
**** ! :yikes:

fred
15th January 2011, 00:58
my own view IS, they could teach the British a thing or two about manners and politeness in general.

Im sorry Arthur but I completely disagree.

Arthur Little
15th January 2011, 01:07
Im sorry Arthur but I completely disagree.

Again ... this opinion of mine is based on how I - like Simon - found the folk down in Mindanao. :)

marlyn&kenny
15th January 2011, 01:39

Oh yes mari!!! this is very NORMAL to them hahaha..... i always try to stop my hubby swearing you know but it just hard for them coz they are used to it....
and they got lot of franks huh?!!:icon_lol::hubbahubba:

fred
15th January 2011, 01:44
Again ... this opinion of mine is based on how I - like Simon - found the folk down in Mindanao. :)

I realise that Arthur...:xxgrinning--00xx3:
But I still completely disagree!!
We are allowed to do that sometimes..

Arthur Little
15th January 2011, 03:09
I realise that Arthur...:xxgrinning--00xx3:
But I still completely disagree!!
We are allowed to do that sometimes..

:iagree: ... to disagree! :icon_lol:

sophiamarie
15th January 2011, 04:06
For me it is always like, "you tend to do and say what you always hear & see"...so its the upbringing that has a lot to do with who you are in the end!

sophiamarie
15th January 2011, 04:10
In relation to my thread as far as I can read all your views..the nature/nurture has been a long debate for ages...for me, its not the nature (environment) that allows the human to be what he is..its nurture(care/genes/innate qualities) that makes a person who he is or who he comes out to be.

I completely agree with you!...thumbs up:xxgrinning--00xx3: great one!

sophiamarie
15th January 2011, 04:15
Hi Jim, my husband feels the same way too...I have sympathy for him as it irritates me too:crazy:, which sometimes ruins your shopping day!...

fred
21st January 2011, 08:49
I parked in a disabled car parking space today. I got out of the car and there is traffic warden there immediately telling me i'm not disabled. I shouted "I've got Tourettes you **** now **** off"

burdock
21st January 2011, 09:42
while in the philippines and not hearing much English expcept for welcome sir and good bye sir
it was a surprise when on the plane from doha to london to hear all the english guys f'ing and blinding.

so proud to be british;)

Piamed
21st January 2011, 10:00
I find the use of profanity vulgar but many folk like to or appear unable to refrain from using it. Many people i know, including close friends, use it on occasion but I do not! I have noticed that a number of filipinas married to Brits for some time star to use it also. I can't say that people are bad because they do us it or that folk are better people if they do not as there are many anolougues that dispel that notion. Each to their own di ba?