PDA

View Full Version : worried filipina

pam444
28th January 2011, 17:09
hi everyone.. im a new member,
and yes im really worried at the moment...
a good friend told me to register in this site for possible advice.
Im on a student visa and im engaged to a british national who's on dissability benefits.. were both excited to get married... but i know for a fact that its not gonna be easy for both of us...
I've sent my COA application yesterday....and i should say that this is the start of a long marriage process...
we're both willing to face the challenges as what other couples did..
but what really makes me worried is about he's dissability benefits...i dont want him to loose his benefits just because of me.....any advice pls..:doh

KeithD
28th January 2011, 17:41
I'm going to be harsh. Tell him to get off his :action-smiley-081: and get a job, or work from home. I'm crippled with arthritis, can't move some days, in constant pain, but still manage to work. I know guys in wheelchairs who work, etc, etc..... their is work for everyone. It would make your process so much easier.

Saying that, if he has savings, and money to spare each week to support you then it may not be an issue.

pam444
29th January 2011, 01:46
thanks for ur advice win2win, but I told him once to get a job, he said he's entitled to his benefit :NoNo:

sophiamarie
29th January 2011, 02:28
I'm going to be harsh. Tell him to get off his :action-smiley-081: and get a job, or work from home. I'm crippled with arthritis, can't move some days, in constant pain, but still manage to work. I know guys in wheelchairs who work, etc, etc..... their is work for everyone. It would make your process so much easier.

Saying that, if he has savings, and money to spare each week to support you then it may not be an issue.

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
29th January 2011, 11:14
thanks for ur advice win2win, but I told him once to get a job, he said he's entitled to his benefit :NoNo:

He can still work and get benefits. He's allowed to do 16hrs a week, more if he works from home for himself as no one can check.

Stephen Hawkings manages to work and he can only move his lips and tongue!

pam444
29th January 2011, 11:57
what sort of work he can do at home?

KeithD
29th January 2011, 15:20
Sell ebay stuff, run blogs, and lots of other stuff. If he can use a keyboard he can work, simple as that.

pam444
7th February 2011, 21:21
thanks win2win for sharing some ideas...:Wave:

joebloggs
7th February 2011, 21:44
if your partner gets at least £103 a week in disability benefit then with a bit of luck you should be ok if he states, that you will be helping him to meet his care needs, then the money he gets from income support and DLA etc, they should be counted towards the maintenance requirement for you.

but a job would be better then trying to get a visa on benefits, as benefits are only meant to support that person.

ampy
8th February 2011, 21:58
hi there,what i know about benefits is, he can still marry you and will not affect his benefits but he is not allowed to claim for you at all,,,you better ask the immigration office to be sure. when it comes from applying to remain ,,,he supposed to be able to keep you with out the used of public funds , get in contact with the immigration soon as possible to get your mind at rest, ,,,good luck ampy

joebloggs
8th February 2011, 23:37
he's not allowed to claim 'more' of a benefit becuase your with him

Arthur Little
9th February 2011, 01:57
hi everyone.. im a new member,
and yes im really worried at the moment...
a good friend told me to register in this site for possible advice.
Im on a student visa and im engaged to a british national who's on dissability benefits.. were both excited to get married... but i know for a fact that its not gonna be easy for both of us...
I've sent my COA application yesterday....and i should say that this is the start of a long marriage process...
we're both willing to face the challenges as what other couples did..
but what really makes me worried is about he's dissability benefits...i dont want him to loose his benefits just because of me.....any advice pls..:doh

I'm not in a position to comment one way or the other Pam ... since I neither know the extent of your fiance's disability - nor am I qualified to asses his entitlement to the level of DLA he's receiving. :NoNo: But it makes sense - and can only be to his advantage - to give serious consideration to the alternatives my colleagues have suggested. :welcomex: ... and goodluck with whatever option(s) you ultimately decide upon. :xxgrinning--00xx3: