PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

KeithD
3rd February 2011, 00:12
..... and having tasted Philippine butter.... including brand names.... I can tell you, it certainly isn't butter :NoNo: .... most of it tastes like it is made with cow poop :action-smiley-081:

imagine
3rd February 2011, 00:15
:action-smiley-081: oh no dont say that, i like my butter:cwm24:

fred
3rd February 2011, 01:45
Here in Bohol we can get butter as good as anything Ive had in the UK.. Bread too!!
I make my own hams and my last BB box was stuffed with Branston,HP and picallily..
Most large towns and cities always have a European delicatessen somewhere..
If you want it badly enough..its here!

JimOttley
3rd February 2011, 02:34
You can get Lurpak butter or Lurpak spreadable in most supermarkets, it's the same as here in the UK, it's the Gardenia bread that tastes odd, but I've adjusted I like Gardenia now :)

Saying that, you can get a better variety of breads now compared to just a few years ago.

fred
3rd February 2011, 02:44
We are really lucky here..Our supermarket bakery are producing a German cottage loaf for 35 Pesos...Really good bread cooked by Filipino`s.
Got a feeling they are tapping into the large tourist and Expat market here..
Most big SM malls throughout the country have the French baker and Pan de Manila franchises.. Good bread readily available now:xxgrinning--00xx3:... Not like before.

You can get Lurpak butter or Lurpak spreadable in most supermarkets, it's the same as here in the UK

About the same price..As is Realcheddar cheese products.

raynaputi
3rd February 2011, 03:08
You can get Lurpak butter or Lurpak spreadable in most supermarkets, it's the same as here in the UK, it's the Gardenia bread that tastes odd, but I've adjusted I like Gardenia now :)

Saying that, you can get a better variety of breads now compared to just a few years ago.

Keith did get a Lurpak butter when he was here and he said it tasted different! :yikes: That was after the day he bought a Magnolia brand butter, which he didn't like too...:doh I told him to just get the Anchor coz it was what both of us always buy! :NoNo::crazy:

JimOttley
3rd February 2011, 03:15
Keith did get a Lurpak butter when he was here and he said it tasted different! :yikes: That was after the day he bought a Magnolia brand butter, which he didn't like too...:doh I told him to just get the Anchor coz it was what both of us always buy! :NoNo::crazy:

The Anchor butter is good too, we have bought that a few times in Manila.

Sometimes familiar things can seem different because of the change in environment, heat humidity and so on, my view anyway :)

malditako
3rd February 2011, 08:25
anchor and lurpak taste exactly the same i guess as what they got here in the UK

Terpe
3rd February 2011, 09:00
For how many years I complained about my morning toast and butter tasting strange :doh

Now, as most have said, it is possible to easily get hold of some decent bread and butter.
Next to resolve is coffee, I'm still sending over jars of Nescafe Gold Blend:icon_lol:

malditako
3rd February 2011, 09:18
having read all the comments here i think putting up a bakery business that bake bread like the bread here in UK is a great idea...tigger bread would be my especialty lol

Terpe
3rd February 2011, 09:59
One of the things I love to do when we stay in Marikina, is to get up really early and go to the local bakery for fresh and still hot PANDESAL :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Heavenly:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
3rd February 2011, 10:08

The boss needs to just do what his boss Rayna:heartshape1: tells him to buy all will be fine then:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick:icon_lol:

KeithD
3rd February 2011, 10:14
You can get Lurpak butter or Lurpak spreadable in most supermarkets, it's the same as here in the UK, .
Oh no it doesn't.... I tried that, it's disgusting, they use a different oil to make it soft. The bread is fine if you buy the right one, it's actually tastes like ....well... bread ... unlike in Singapore :Erm:. Possibly the solid butter blocks are OK, as I was only trying the spreadable varieties.

Next to resolve is coffee, I'm still sending over jars of Nescafe Gold Blend:icon_lol:
Yeah I had that problem, the ground stuff grown in the Philippines may as well be crushed sheep crap, in fact the latter would probably taste better. I ended up getting beans from Starbucks and have them grind it for me :)

subseastu
3rd February 2011, 10:21
Buy a bread maker, problem solved. I hardly buy any bread at all now. As for butter why not make your own and get out into the field and milk the cows yourself? Think of the satisfaction you'll have. Mind you make sure you pick the field with the cows in it and not the bulls!!!!!:omg:

KeithD
3rd February 2011, 10:30
Mind you make sure you pick the field with the cows in it and not the bulls!!!!!:omg:
.... isn't that how they add the salt?? :cwm24:

JimOttley
3rd February 2011, 11:06
Oh no it doesn't.... I tried that, it's disgusting, they use a different oil to make it soft. The bread is fine if you buy the right one, it's actually tastes like ....well... bread ... unlike in Singapore :Erm:. Possibly the solid butter blocks are OK, as I was only trying the spreadable varieties.

You might just be more fussy than me :) my standard spread in the UK for many many years was St Ivel gold which I know many people hate, these days the one I use is the really low fat Utterly Butterly.

In the Phils we used both solid and spreadable but the bread is always that sweetened Gardenia stuff, so that overpowers the flavour of whatever you slap on the bread usually :) at least for me.

KeithD
3rd February 2011, 11:20
I think it was Gardenia Classic bread, although Rayna will correct me :D .... but that tasted similar to UK bread.

raynaputi
3rd February 2011, 12:06
I think it was Gardenia Classic bread, although Rayna will correct me :D .... but that tasted similar to UK bread.

yep that's it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
3rd February 2011, 12:11
....Buy a bread maker, problem solved. I hardly buy any bread at all now. ......

I've never been able to get the bread maker to perform in the Phils at all.
Frequency changes from 50Hz to 60Hz play havoc with the timer.
Have you managed to find a workaround??

subseastu
3rd February 2011, 12:49

Yes, I make my bread in the Uk:icon_lol::icon_lol: Surely they sell bread makers out in the phils i'd have thought. Not sure to be honest

JimOttley
3rd February 2011, 13:26

I once made the mistake of taking a UK Radio Alarm Clock over to the Phils, it was utterly useless :) it physically worked but just could not keep the time :D

Terpe
3rd February 2011, 13:31
Yes, I make my bread in the Uk:icon_lol::icon_lol: Surely they sell bread makers out in the phils i'd have thought. Not sure to be honest

Probably they do. Just I ended up with two so sent one over to Phils.
I misread your post and thought you were using a UK one in Phils. Sorry.

Terpe
3rd February 2011, 13:38
I once made the mistake of taking a UK Radio Alarm Clock over to the Phils, it was utterly useless :) it physically worked but just could not keep the time :D

:icon_lol::icon_lol: So Jim, did that gain 10mins per hour??

JimOttley
3rd February 2011, 14:48
:icon_lol::icon_lol: So Jim, did that gain 10mins per hour??

From memory it was all over the place, it wasn't a linear effect. :)

Arthur Little
3rd February 2011, 15:20
Butter is Ok ... just so long as it's not that smelly :readingpapers: stuff (so-called "fresh" butter) :nono-1-1: you could buy from local farms when I was a kid growing up in a small rural village; anyroads, I've always [I] preferred 'Stork' to butter! :icon_lol:

KeithD
3rd February 2011, 15:39
The other thing I found tasted yuck was tins of Tuna. This was due to the oil used to preserve it in :angry: ... I didn't find any in water/brine, as they should have been OK.

subseastu
3rd February 2011, 17:18
Probably they do. Just I ended up with two so sent one over to Phils.
I misread your post and thought you were using a UK one in Phils. Sorry.

No probs my man, no probs

Englishman2010
3rd February 2011, 19:38
The other thing I found tasted yuck was tins of Tuna. This was due to the oil used to preserve it in :angry: ... I didn't find any in water/brine, as they should have been OK.

Keith you sound just like a typical complaining Brit:icon_lol: Embrace the cultural and culinary differences. Filipino food is a damn site better than that crap they serve in Singapore:icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
3rd February 2011, 20:48
Anyone know if you can buy Weetabix in the Phils?

Sim11UK
3rd February 2011, 20:51

Yes pretty sure I've seen it in Robinsons

Englishman2010
3rd February 2011, 21:00

Leave a couple of sheets of chip board out in the rain over night, you can make your own then:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
3rd February 2011, 21:11
Leave a couple of sheets of chip board out in the rain over night, you can make your own then:xxgrinning--00xx3:I hope you're not insulting such a wonderful cereal? ;)

KeithD
3rd February 2011, 21:12
Leave a couple of sheets of chip board out in the rain over night, you can make your own then:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:laugher:

Englishman2010
3rd February 2011, 21:21
I hope you're not insulting such a wonderful cereal? ;)

:rolleyes: of course not Jamie:icon_lol:It's lovely stuff, I always eat it when I've run out of soggy chipboard:icon_lol: