PDA

View Full Version : Sorry........A few More Questions Regarding the English Language Test

New Shoes
3rd February 2011, 21:21
Hello,

I've only recently become aware of the need for an English Test prior to making an application for a Fiancé Visa. I've been reading a lot of posts on this but my head is starting to spin!! I'm also getting a bit panicky because I'm just about to send all the documents to my girl in the Phils to submit for her visa.

I'll try to keep this simple and number my questions for clarity.

1) Can someone give me the link for the last of approved English Language Test Centres?

2) There are a few IELTS Centres in Davao, but I'm assuming if they are not on the official approval list, their tests will not be acceptable, yes?

3) Can you please tell me what the test consisted of?

4) Is it just a case of contacting the centre and arranging a date to sit the test?

5) Also what is the actual test called?

6) Any preparation required?

7) Is it just a test to sit or is there formal classroom training beforehand?

I appreciate all assistance
Many thanks,
Dave

Howerd
3rd February 2011, 22:47
Hello,

I've only recently become aware of the need for an English Test prior to making an application for a Fiancé Visa. I've been reading a lot of posts on this but my head is starting to spin!! I'm also getting a bit panicky because I'm just about to send all the documents to my girl in the Phils to submit for her visa.

I'll try to keep this simple and number my questions for clarity.

I will try to keep my answers simple too!!!

1) Can someone give me the link for the last of approved English Language Test Centres?

'Test Centres' are NOT approved by the UKBA. It is the Test Providers (awarding bodies) that have to be approved by the UKBA. Contact the Test Providers (from UKBA list) to see what Test Centres the Test Provider approves.

2) There are a few IELTS Centres in Davao, but I'm assuming if they are not on the official approval list, their tests will not be acceptable, yes?

You just need to verify with the Test Provider (IELTS in this case) that they approve the test centre; the test centre does not need to be on the UKBA list.

3) Can you please tell me what the test consisted of?

For the A1 test (based on some European framework that I don't really know about) is just for speaking & listening. But many test providers (awarding bodies) have had their examinations approved to the A1 level. Those examinations my also included reading and writing but as I understand it, the results for reading and writing are ignored by the UKBA.

4) Is it just a case of contacting the centre and arranging a date to sit the test?

I guess it depends on the Centre. Some centres may only provide the test if you undertake training with them. I guess some centres may require that you register elsewhere. You should contact the test centre and ask them.

5) Also what is the actual test called?

There are several tests that may be taken to A1 level. Each awarding body may have more than one examination that meets, but often surpasses the A1 standard. I don't think there is any examination (yet) specifically called A1 test for UKBA visa applications.

6) Any preparation required?

It depends on your level of English and, if you do the computer-based test, you may need instruction in using a computer. You can do demo tests on-line for many of the examinations that are accredited to A1 level.

7) Is it just a test to sit or is there formal classroom training beforehand?

Depends on whether you want/need training. If you need training, the test centre may provide that, or you have to go elsewhere for training. Try doing the demo online tests for your chosen examination to see if you need training.

New Shoes
4th February 2011, 13:02
I've spent the last hour and a half going through the approved providers, trying to find one which operates out of Davao City.......... no joy yet!

Howerd
4th February 2011, 14:10
I've spent the last hour and a half going through the approved providers, trying to find one which operates out of Davao City.......... no joy yet!

But you have already said there are IELTS test centres in DAVAO! If the test centres are approved by the test provder (IELTS) then you have no problem.

ybba
5th February 2011, 12:52
heloo new show go to the vfs global manila website and you can find there the english test center wc is accredited by ukba i myself took the exam last jan.28,2011 and just waiting for the result cuase it will take 15 working days .i took the level A1 (basic english) at Study connect international in makati just search it in google for there website.

New Shoes
5th February 2011, 22:58
Thanks for the replies.
Howerd, I see know, I misunderstood.
Thanks again.

alanp
17th February 2011, 16:22
just a quick question will my fiancee's daughter have to do the test also she is 12 and we will be applying for her visa at the same time as the fiancee visa.

thanks
alan