PDA

View Full Version : "Campervan travelling" wishful thinking?

Jimbojac
9th February 2011, 15:35
I would love to travel all over with a nicely fitted out camper, the majority of the fitting out and custom layout i could do to my own needs and specification but my GF seems to think its a totally alien concept:crazy: in the Phils { security problems mainly.}
From my extensive overland travels there i don't recall seeing one kitted out van on the roads. Must be a strong reason{s} i am thinking.
It would certainly be a worry but the idea of total freedom and waking up in various beautiful spots :Dis certainly an attractive one but albeit not without risk.
Anyone else have any takes on this?
Cheers.

Englishman2010
9th February 2011, 16:40
We discussed something similar a few weeks ago, if you're going to travel around the Pina's, it would be a lot easier to get yourself a LWB Jeepney and kit that out like a VW Campervan:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jimbojac
9th February 2011, 17:02
We discussed something similar a few weeks ago, if you're going to travel around the Pina's, it would be a lot easier to get yourself a LWB Jeepney and kit that out like a VW Campervan:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Aahhh before my time here on the Forum but i will check it out.
I was on Google Earth a coupla nights ago and there are some stunning out of the way locations that i would love to check out one day, if it was Australia, NZ or Canada it would be a definite but the Phils??? Impractical i think!

Englishman2010
9th February 2011, 17:19
A high tech, mega money motorhome would be completely impractical in the Phils, but a Jeepney would be ideal for their roads. No shortage of skilled labour to convert it either, they can pretty much fabricate anything you want over there:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
9th February 2011, 18:55
A jeepney as already said, would be an obvious choice.
There was a fella travelling around on a tricycle...put all his gear in it & I think he was staying in a tent?
I read about him a couple of years ago...I think he had a blog?
He was too scared to venture down in to Mindanao.

I said to the wife, we could do the same, but she didn't quite grab the concept. :Erm:
She does want to go camping in a tent, but probably over here?

Jimbojac
9th February 2011, 19:27
A jeepney as already said, would be an obvious choice.
There was a fella travelling around on a tricycle...put all his gear in it & I think he was staying in a tent?
I read about him a couple of years ago...I think he had a blog?
He was too scared to venture down in to Mindanao.

I said to the wife, we could do the same, but she didn't quite grab the concept. :Erm:
She does want to go camping in a tent, but probably over here?
Its all about security issues: I would want the thing as secure as Fort Knox.
Even though i have visited the Phils on numerous occasions and lucky to have never encountered any severe hassles:) it does make you wonder what all those bars on windows, armoured cars and security guards are about even in the quietest of the provincial towns.
As for sleeping in a tent, NO WAY:yikes: that guy has balls of steel!!:omg: or...:crazy:

Jimbojac
9th February 2011, 19:30
A high tech, mega money motorhome would be completely impractical in the Phils, but a Jeepney would be ideal for their roads. No shortage of skilled labour to convert it either, they can pretty much fabricate anything you want over there:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Some of those Jeepneys are hardcore Mate!
The drivers are like some Rambo clones :crazy:with the deathwish grip of steel!:yikes:
American Hummer v Jeepney??? Wouldnt bet on the Hummer LOL!!:action-smiley-081::Rasp:

Tawi2
9th February 2011, 20:08
As for sleeping in a tent, NO WAY
Early 1990's I met a guy,he was a kiwi called Steve and he was walking around the world,incredible bohemian character with a limited number of possessions,he had actually camped on several beaches in Pinas,the pinoys couldnt quite grasp the concept of a puti living like a hobo but on several occassions he was gifted rice and fish,he had a whale of a time,he had a small number of bad experiences(one of which was being molested in Marrakesh),I often wonder if he is still placing one foot in front of the other in some far-flung part of the planet,a true advocate of the longest journey begins with the first step.

Farmerg
10th February 2011, 01:30
A guy that lives in the next village to me here in the uk has converted a old landrover based ambulance into a basic camper van, if you check out landrover fan sites you will see expedition landrovers which are designed to be lived in & go any where!
Another Landrover option is a forward control but the are a bit rare, I have see one of these converted into a rough terrain camper.

Dedworth
10th February 2011, 09:19
I would love to travel all over with a nicely fitted out camper, the majority of the fitting out and custom layout i could do to my own needs and specification but my GF seems to think its a totally alien concept:crazy: in the Phils { security problems mainly.}
From my extensive overland travels there i don't recall seeing one kitted out van on the roads. Must be a strong reason{s} i am thinking.
It would certainly be a worry but the idea of total freedom and waking up in various beautiful spots :Dis certainly an attractive one but albeit not without risk.
Anyone else have any takes on this?
Cheers.

You might like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yltdc/One_Man_and_His_Campervan_Devon/

grahamw48
10th February 2011, 12:07
Here you are: :D

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1664/honkongandphils018.jpg

(Outside sister-in-law's house, watching the parade...little girl in the pink top and yellow shorts is my step-daughter, now at Nottingham University).

This early 70s camper belonged to my (British) good mate, best man, and husband of the ex's cousin.

We had many adventures in it. Brilliant vehicle for the Phils !

It will beat a Jeepney hands-down on those rough old roads, and especially the muddy ones during the rainy season.

We sometimes used to go to Naga City (40 miles away) using what was going to eventually be a section of the new Quezon Highway, but at that time was just a big wide track of mud and rocks cut through the countryside (think African-type road) before being concreted. You couldn't have encountered worse conditions ....up and down slopes with mud-holes at the bottom of them, full of stuck Jeepneys.
We used to put pedal to the floor, and the light weight and superb traction of the VW always got us through. Great fun too.:D

I remember one time leaping out and chasing a stray piglet through the forest so we could have it for lunch. :icon_lol:

Another time the back brakes seized so we called in at a vulcaniser at the side of the road, borrowed some tools and just disconnected them, sealed off the pipes and then continued on our journey.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

She never let us down.

That Camper had a higher ground clearance than most, with slightly bigger wheels, so ideal for the conditions, but they really are tough old vehicles.

Last time I went to live over there for a couple of years, it was my intention to build my own vehicle....sort of sand-buggy style, which I thought would be ideal for the Phils crap country roads, but I got side-tracked with building houses, restaurants, etc. (I'm a keen amateur mechanic).

At one time I bought plans to build a small hovercraft to use out there too....but that's another story. :icon_lol:

I also know people who've cycled and camped all over the Phils (and the rest of the world), and in fact before I got custody of my son I'd bought myself a good touring bike (Dawes Super Galaxy) and full equipment for cycling across to Hong Kong from England. That's been put on hold for now, and is occupying the spare bedroom, but I still hope to do it before I pop my clogs. :)

johncar54
10th February 2011, 14:35
About 7 years ago I went to Florida and bought a motor-home, 29 ft. It was like a bus (Winnebago type). Cost about 75,000 dollars, it was unused but two years old. So out of Guarantee. I removed the plastic protection from the carpets and starting spending money on it, blankets, sheets, plates, cups, tools, maps etc etc.

I drove about 15,000 miles in USA.

One thing I discovered almost at once, you can't go shopping or sightseeing in a bus. Had to buy a small car (Fiesta) to tow. I probably had the only automatic Fiesta in the world. You can't tow an automatic without a lubrication pump, 1,000 dollars for pump and T bar for towing car. Another 500 dollars 6 month insurance.

Can't get tyres when out on the open road, buy a spare tyre, that size a loadda dough. Can't jack up and change tyres that size, join the Caravan club, more money.

I could go on and on, but suffice to say by the time I sold the motorhome I had spent about £40,000 on my 5 month holiday.

You know what is coming now. My advice don't do it !!!! Stay in hotels / motels or better still stay at home .

Dedworth
10th February 2011, 14:44
What's the parade all about Graham ? - at first glance I thought it was the Junior Section of The Manny Pacquiao Fan Club but then I noticed most of the boys are wearing bikini tops :)

grahamw48
10th February 2011, 15:27
I think Jimbojac had a small campervan in mind rather than one of those large Winis (I've owned both in the past).

From my own experience, as posted above...entirely feasible in the Phils.

Shopping is no problem, as the VW is no larger than your average people carrier or 4wd, and in fact makes a very GOOD shopping car, as plenty of space and you can even cook lunch in the car park later. :icon_lol:

Even my TVR goes to Tesco sometimes. :)
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9025/400shoppingcar1206833ww2.jpg

Or of course if the missis is in charge of the shopping....:D
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4506/3153image004ck8.jpg

grahamw48
10th February 2011, 15:35
What's the parade all about Graham ? - at first glance I thought it was the Junior Section of The Manny Pacquiao Fan Club but then I noticed most of the boys are wearing bikini tops :)
Few years ago now, but I think it was about local tribal history or somesuch thing, combined of course with prettiest girl comp', hardest working pupil, and some holy stuff worked in there too no doubt.

You know how it is...any excuse to dress up, make a lot of noise, and have a party to round things off.

Can't argue with that. :D

fred
10th February 2011, 15:38
John.. My step father bought a new one in the UK for just over 68,000 Quid.. He used to be a lorry driver and fancied following the tour de france with my Mother.. Unfortunately she hated all the hours of driving and basically forced him to sell it 18 months on for 40 odd grand.. Biggest mistake they ever made financially...And emotionally!
Now its 5 star hotels and resorts..(His punishment)

Jimbojac
10th February 2011, 19:01
Early 1990's I met a guy,he was a kiwi called Steve and he was walking around the world,incredible bohemian character with a limited number of possessions,he had actually camped on several beaches in Pinas,the pinoys couldnt quite grasp the concept of a puti living like a hobo but on several occassions he was gifted rice and fish,he had a whale of a time,he had a small number of bad experiences(one of which was being molested in Marrakesh),I often wonder if he is still placing one foot in front of the other in some far-flung part of the planet,a true advocate of the longest journey begins with the first step.
Done some amzing adventures myself Mate, been travelling since the age of 16 in some very far out and wild places, it really gives us all a zest for life!
Can understand his hassle in Morocco i was a small blonde haired surfie kid there when i was 18 and didn't those arabs just love me:yikes: HAHA!
Cheers.

Jimbojac
10th February 2011, 19:04
I think Jimbojac had a small campervan in mind rather than one of those large Winis (I've owned both in the past).

From my own experience, as posted above...entirely feasible in the Phils.

Shopping is no problem, as the VW is no larger than your average people carrier or 4wd, and in fact makes a very GOOD shopping car, as plenty of space and you can even cook lunch in the car park later. :icon_lol:

Even my TVR goes to Tesco sometimes. :)
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9025/400shoppingcar1206833ww2.jpg

Or of course if the missis is in charge of the shopping....:D
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4506/3153image004ck8.jpg
Yep you've got it...........VW is the size i was thinking of.
Loved the pic of the trolley Chief, CLASSIC!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jimbojac
10th February 2011, 19:08
Thanks for everyones input!
Great to read everyones adventures on here after a day at work.
As many of you will know its bed time in the Phils with the 8 hour difference and its nice to get a fix of Filipino culture:xxgrinning--00xx3: in the evening whilst the girl is snoring:NEW5: a few thousand miles away......................

Terpe
10th February 2011, 19:35
I found this thread really great.
I too always fancied driving around in a campervan.

Gotta be built in Phils though, importation is probably a big no-no

But wouldn't it just be a lifetime joy :hubbahubba:

Jimbojac
10th February 2011, 19:44
You might like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yltdc/One_Man_and_His_Campervan_Devon/
Thanks Dedworth was well worth the watch:xxgrinning--00xx3: and would reccomend it to other forum members too!
Thanks again.