PDA

View Full Version : BUILDING REGULATIONS (In Phil')

Dr Graham
10th February 2011, 16:08
As our savings dwindle my Fiancee and I can no longer afford to buy a house, so we are now planning to buy a Plot of Land and Build our own house on it.

Does anyone know what the Philippine Equivalent of UK Planning Approval and Building Regulations, etc., are .... or indeed IF there is any equivalent in Phil' ?

When some of my Philippine friends are being a bit "nasty" they will remind me that my Fiancee's home is in a "Squat Area", and although her home is quite Nice, I have to admit that I'm amazed that some of their neighbours' homes manage to REMAIN STANDING .... never mind "Comply with Building Reg's !"

fred
10th February 2011, 16:51
Thats the whole point of building in a squatter area..Stuff the building code..It could be demolished or torched at any given moment!
If you want to do it properly,get yourself a good engineer or architect with contacts at Municipal hall!!

Terpe
10th February 2011, 17:14
......If you want to do it properly,get yourself a good engineer or architect with contacts at Municipal hall!!
Dr Graham,
I would very strongly urge you to follow the advice given by fred.

This could be a highly interesting. Building your own house in Phils requires extreme care and almost constant supervision.
Do you have any knowledge about design for Phils?
Do you have any knowledge at all about construction?

sars_notd_virus
10th February 2011, 17:45
Does anyone know what the Philippine Equivalent of UK Planning Approval and Building Regulations, etc., are .... or indeed IF there is any equivalent in Phil' ?

City Engineers Office for the building permit

keithAngel
11th February 2011, 02:50
Terpe is right there is a world of diference in getting the plans done and approved and the actual practice of buiding you can not depend on independant inspection except in so far as it flags up mistakes that will need remedy at your expense it wont flag things that the authority,s cant see or dont care about thogh that will be for you to find out later

You will need to be there and have oversight if its a self build, you will need to manage materials in and make sure they are applied to your build, all thats dificult to do if your not living on site even if you do all this final costs will exceed your estimates sometimes by a fair bit. Dont imagine that your workers will simply do as you ask they dont call it bana bana for nothing lol

If its a small build 80sqmt or so you might do it in 3months IF you have done all the preparation but be prepared for remedial work like drains that run up hill rerendering for electrical instalations etc

Its a mine field and will test your commitment I would also recommend you research on expat forums in the phils where all this has been fully covered :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
11th February 2011, 08:53
......If its a small build 80sqmt or so you might do it in 3months IF you have done all the preparation ...................

In principle, maybe, IF all materials have been procured and delivered, and IF the workers hired at the start continue through the complete build.

Dr Graham
11th February 2011, 12:38
Thanks for the replies.
I searched the local City Hall's Website but couldn't find anything that even resembled a Planning Office, so I sent an email just addressed to City Hall Enquiries and HOPED it would get delivered to the right place eventually, but that was months ago and I've heard nothing.
I've now got my Fiancee's Dad making enquiries for me.

Just as there are TOTAL COWBOY BUILDERS in the UK, I expect The Philippines will have them too, but I don't want to be the Brit' who discovers who NOT to employ to Construct a House.

I've noticed in the past, when we thought we'd be able to afford a house that was already built, that many Americans who were selling their homes in Phil', made a BIG THING about how their house was constructed from AMERICAN MATERIALS and had been built under the Control of an AMERICAN Project Manager, or Architect.
Is this just an example of American's being .... well AMERICAN !
Coz I can't believe that Philippine Builders don't know what they are doing ?

I'm not a Builder myself, but I come from 3 Generations of Master Joiners, and I think Dad taught me how to Plane and Saw, long before I could walk !!!
I'm a Chartered Engineer, not an Architect, but Stress Calculations for Buildings don't frighten me and don't seem to be much different to Stress Calc's for any other kind of structure.
I am TERRIFIED of Heights though, but our house is going to be mostly single storey :)
And I am planning to get a Local Builder to do at least 80% of the work anyway, provided of course, that I can find a GOOD ONE !

fred
11th February 2011, 13:36
Graham.. Where are you thinking of buiding?

Dr Graham
11th February 2011, 13:53
Hi Fred,
We have now put a Deposit on a Plot in Sicyab, which is within the City boundary of Dipolog in Zamboanga del Norte.

fred
11th February 2011, 14:18
OK thanks Graham...Im afraid thats a long way from my manor..
Best suggestion I can make is not to rush into anything or it could cost you dearly..
First thing you need to do is get a family member to find out if they know or know someone that knows someone that works in your local municipal building..Preferably the city engineers dept..
You seem capable enough to draw a plan but the truth is YOU are not the guy that will sign a building permit.. All signatures will come from the relevant engineers within your local office..Be it electrical,structural,Sanitary ect ect.. You need someone that knows the chief engineer that can obtain a price for everything..Drawing and all signatures required for building permit..(based on your initial drawing)You can even get them to agree to sign the Occupancy permit once your building is finished,
My advice would be stay way back in the background before permits are issued.. If they find out a foreigner is involved the prices will go up.. Keep the permit process under negotiation via the locals and expect a local quotation with everything included for the permits you need..
I realise there may be some people here that will question my ethics and say that Im colluding with corruption but they will probably not live in the R.P and their advice will cost you much much more..
Thats my advice to you..
Dont forget,,,No rush!!

Cheers,
Fred.

Steve.r
11th February 2011, 14:52
When my house was made it was strengthened with double re-bars to avoid any earthquake damage. Make sure the roof is also securely bolted down. Something to consider when moving to a natural disaster prone area.

fred
11th February 2011, 16:04
When my house was made it was strengthened with double re-bars to avoid any earthquake damage. Make sure the roof is also securely bolted down. Something to consider when moving to a natural disaster prone area.

Just wondering Steve..What do you mean when you say "double rebar"?
Are you referring to rebar thickness or X 2?
Our building for example has been designed to withstand a number 8 earth quake.. We have 18" reinforced beams 2 meters under ground (A reinforced concrete Grid) which connects to each 18" sqr post that rises from the base..
This type of foundation also eliminates any subsidence issues..
Like most post and beam construction here,hollow blocks just fill in the gaps and are not really a structural aspect.. Another reason why buildings here rarely fall down.

Dr Graham
11th February 2011, 16:21
Thanks again Fred, and Steve too.

I've already discovered the effect that a Westener can have on Prices !!!
And it's not just in the Philippines !
I can remember a Tuk-Tuk Driver chasing us down the street in Bangkok, offering Ever Cheaper Fares, after my "Thai Guide" (who was actually the Receptionist at the Hotel I was staying at who'd offered to show me the sights on her day off) had told him his first offer was RIDICULOUS :)

I'm keeping in the background and letting my Fiancee be the only face that anyone sees during negotiations.

I have "committments" in the UK that will prevent me from being able to Settle in Phil' for another 18 months approx. I'll be able to go over to Check on Progress from time to time, but there's no need for the house to be ready until next year at the earliest. So there's no need for us to rush.

Dipolog is also very lucky as it hardly ever suffers from Earthquakes or Typhoons that are so much more of a problem in other parts of Phil'
The biggest problem is Flooding, and just a few months ago, for the first time since her Dad built their house over 20 years ago, the 1.5 metre stilts it stands on were not high enough to keep the flood water out of their home.
I've already enquired, and there's no record of the area where our plot is situated, ever having flooded.

keithAngel
12th February 2011, 00:15
?Graham I commend you to reread terpes post under your opening thread.

What you intimate is a recipe for various disasters I dont know how long you have spent in the Phils with your fiance but my advice for what its worth is to live and rent there for at least a year befor venturing into a lot purchase and build.

you intimate resources are dwindling and what you suggest ,without all the info is likely to dwindle your money further.

Again I recomend you read local forums on cebu and get up to speed on the pitfalls of what you suggest:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
12th February 2011, 02:03
I agree with the above.

I designed and drew up the plans for my building (2-storey, block and reinforced concrete, with roof garden on top...no wood for the termites).

Fortunately for me the ex's family were builders and carpenters, but I did have 10 years of visiting the Phils under my belt before I had our place built.

You will need clear title for the land and a building permit from your local council and Barangay Captain.

A few people will expect their palms crossing with silver, and various inspections will need to be carried out before during and after the project is finished. :)

Naturally the property ownership will not be in your name.

stevewool
12th February 2011, 08:56
so what everyone on here is saying is better put a nippa hut on your land and expect it to be blown away or fall down in a earthquak sometime in the future, get that mobile home on the lot and and enjoy the view i say

johncar54
12th February 2011, 09:16

Fred Quote "Just wondering Steve..What do you mean when you say "double rebar"? "

I assumed Steve meant reinforcing bars (steel rods) in the concrete, as he was taking about earthquakes.

Steve.r
12th February 2011, 09:57
Fred Quote "Just wondering Steve..What do you mean when you say "double rebar"? "

I assumed Steve meant reinforcing bars (steel rods) in the concrete, as he was taking about earthquakes.
Sorry not to be clear. The chap i bought our house from told me that he used double rebar, i assume this was x2 bars, not double thickness. He is the headmaster of the local college, and a good friend, so i have no reason to doubt him. :)

Dr Graham
10th March 2011, 13:47
I appreciate all the advice and warnings.
Our land plot already has a small Nippa Hut on it !
But from the looks of it, it will FALL DOWN long before Nature manages to Blow or Shake it down :)

Everyone (in Phil') keeps telling me about the Corruption in National and Local Government, and "Palm Greasing" that goes on. So some of the warnings I've received on here were not unexpected.
But I must say that I've had to deal with several pretty high up Officials within the DFA and at the Philippine Embassy in the UK, and have found everyone to be Extremely Helpful and Friendly. Certainly MUCH Nicer and More Helpful than anyone at the UKBA or the British Embassy in Manila !

My House Project can only progress SLOWLY for various reasons, but I will be happy to report back as each major step is completed, and tell you about any Problems or "Unexpected Negotiations" that pop-up along the way.

johncar54
10th March 2011, 15:11
Quote:- Certainly MUCH Nicer and More Helpful than anyone at the UKBA or the British Embassy in Manila !

I think every embassy/consulate are more helpful and friendly !!! I have recently taken up Irish Nationality, I will not be renewing my British Passport..

grahamw48
10th March 2011, 16:13
My brother used to head up the visa section at FCO in London (so in overall charge).

He did once ask me how I was treated at the Manila embassy.
Couldn't print my answer here.:icon_lol:

He's still there, but head of another section.

johncar54
10th March 2011, 16:26
Malaga and Makati are absolute rubbish.

But then the UK Gov take us for a ride.

Irish passport for a person 65 free, Spanish 10 year passport for anyone 20 euros, UK PP renewed in Spain about 180 euros.

philphil61
20th March 2011, 21:46
I've not had time to read all the OP's responses - just glancing thru so to speak!!!

I've just come back to UK after over 2 years in Mindanao with my now ex gf - leaving behind my 4mnth old son (so many tears you wouldn't believe but they stopped me from bringing him back here)

Anyway enough of my troubles - buiilding regulations, builders and planning - I'll just mention one word to explain all (having had prior experience) .... corruption

The builders or site builders do not employ truly qualified builders - no checks are made
An example is a class b carpenter being employed on a concrete construction site (class b in Philippines is trained to use hammer, nails and a saw (maybe with keen eye) but thats it.

Planning is not managed like most western cultures - money in the right hands will guarantee build in the right place until the person you paid has been moved on - then your stuck or homeless - no matter how I explain I still come back to the word corruption.

All I can say - having learned my lesson the hard way - make certain this partner is worthwhile - visit her many times (sometimes unannounced) to be sure before you commit. Make friends with the barangay officer and local politicians and let them know your intentions - invite them to a meal it's cheap enough but having them know your plans is a small price to pay to ensure "some" security but not everything will go the way you and they have agreed.

Sorry if this offends anyone but my experience is my experience and I've lived the life for over 2 years and seen it all.....

grahamw48
21st March 2011, 01:47
Very true. :)

fred
21st March 2011, 02:42
Personally I have never had a problem with local builders and Ive finished a few projects here successfully..
My projects were planned and managed by ourselves after following a step by step approach with local government offices .. The only bung we ever gave was a few 5kg bags of tiger prawns and the odd bottle of Fundador..

We have had to let a few dodgy tradesmen go but that is par for the course in the UK too.
I dont trust developers full stop and dont use or deal with them, especially here..
Cant beat a bit of D.I.Y ...IMO !! ;)