PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me!

Arjie
26th February 2011, 07:16
Hello everyone!!!

I am Arjie i am new here...I am here seeking for some advice about my case.

I am divorced in the US last 2009 and I came back here in the Philippines last March 2010. and last 2 weeks of February this year, I went to the DFA Office(in Butuan,Philippines) to renew my passport, because my passport expired this coming Sept. of this year. i want to use my single name but the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) personnel they don't accept my application, because i had amendment on my passport that it shows my married name on it ,I showed my Divorced paper to them and they don't accept it.They said i can use my single name if i file a petition to recognize my foreign divorce to the Philippine Court and if the court approved my petition i can clear my status in the National Statistics Office (NSO in Philippines).And that's the time I can use my single name again into my passport.

And also I have a British Boyfriend now and he invited me to come to visit him to England using a tourist visa.He sponsored my whole trip to visit him..

My Questions Are:
1.How long it takes to file a Petition to recognize my foreign divorce here in the Philippines?
2. How much is that cost?
3.Do i need to hire a Lawyer for this?
4.Is that okay i will renew my passport with my married name and applying a tourist visa?
5. In my case if i file a tourist visa and they found out that i am still married here in the Philippines under the Philippine Law.The British Consulate can refuse my tourist Visa?.

Please help me..

Cheers,

Arjie

baby38
26th February 2011, 10:20
Are you a Filipino born in the Philippines,or born in the usa.

Arjie
26th February 2011, 14:04
i am Filipino born in the Philippines.

baby38
27th February 2011, 02:32
were you married in the phills if i believe you cant get a divorce overseas,i may stand corrected on that,you need annulment in your country

Arjie
27th February 2011, 05:23
baby38,

no, i was married in the US and also filled a divorced there too..

thank you..

Arjie
27th February 2011, 05:31
baby38,

no, i was married in the US and also we filled a divorced there too..

thank you..

keithAngel
27th February 2011, 06:10
If you filled the devorce i belive it wont be recognised in the Phils

baby38
27th February 2011, 09:46
I believe if you got married overseas and got divorced overseas,just present your divorce papers to local court in the phills to be recognised.

sars_notd_virus
27th February 2011, 10:27
I believe if you got married overseas and got divorced overseas,just present your divorce papers to local court in the phills to be recognised.

She needs a lawyer to file a petition for the recognition of foreign divorce

johncar54
27th February 2011, 11:16
I believe I read somewhere ( in the forum or on a Gov website) that the person who has been divorced in another country can apply for it to be recognised in RP, but the person who brought the action, cannot.

Always seemed a bit unfair, as the person bring the action would, in most cases, be the innocent party.

Arjie
27th February 2011, 11:30
KeithAngel,

My ex American husband filled the divorced,not me.

johncar54
27th February 2011, 11:33
KeithAngel,

My ex American husband filled the divorced,not me.

In that case, it would seem, from what I remember that you may be able to get it recognised in RP.

Arjie
27th February 2011, 11:36
my ex is the petitioner and i am the respondent.

johncar54
27th February 2011, 11:48
This is a quote from:-
http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/FAQs/FAQS-legal.htm#a3

Q. Are there foreign divorces that are recognized under Philippine law?

Answer: As a rule, divorce is not recognized in the Philippines as a mode of dissolving marriage. In cases however where a Filipino citizen contracts a marriage with a foreigner, a divorce validly obtained thereafter in a foreign court by the foreigner spouse, i.e. the foreigner spouse initiated the divorce proceedings, such a divorce will be recognized under Philippine law (Article 26, paragraph (2), of the Family Code). The foreign divorce will have the effect of capacitating either the foreigner spouse or the Filipino spouse to remarry under Philippine law.