PDA

View Full Version : What are the Iconic Dishes in Your Home Province???

Win2Win
2nd March 2011, 07:51
Despite nearly 3,000 posts over 6+ years I have maintained this blog, I realize that I have just scratched the surface of the range of Filipino dishes. I have written about or even featured recipes for a majority of readers "Top 100" Pinoy dishes and many of the "Top 30 desserts" or so, but I haven't explored enough of the regional dishes that don't make it to Manila, or are reliant on locally abundant ingredients. So here is my question for you. What is your home province and what top 2 or 3 LOCAL dishes would you consider to be iconic to that province? If I were ever to finally get my act together and compile recipes for a book, I would want to include many dishes that aren't only nationally recognized, but also regional dishes that simply blow your socks of... They need not be fancy dishes, but they must be outstanding in taste and flavor, feature unique and all-natural ingredients, and appeal to a wide audience. Don't worry if more than one reader responds for the same province, I would like to compare all of the answers and hopefully in the months ahead get to try and cook some of the standout dishes described. Many thanks for your comments and input! :)

Content from... (http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/what-are-the-iconic-dishes-in-your-home-province)

sars_notd_virus
2nd March 2011, 11:24
What are the Iconic Dishes in Your Home Province???

Ala Eh!! pagkakasarap nire!!!kaka-miss eh!!:hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

breakfast:

Batangas beef tapa
tawilis ( fresh water sardines) deep fried
with tomato,cucumber and roasted coffee (barako) on the side
best served with egg fried rice

lunch:

skipjack tuna cooked in cocomilk with bilimbi fruit(kalamyas) and birds eye chilli
bulanglang (vegetable stew)
best served with pandan rice

dinner:

adobong tagalog chicken in tumeric and bunch of pepper(labuyo) leaves
serve with steamed rice

pudding/dessert /panghimagas/merienda etc.

kalamay (rice cake)
suman sa lihiya (steamed rice cake), with tabliya(chocolate)
sweet tamarind
banana chips

Englishman2010
2nd March 2011, 11:52
In my home county of Lincolnshire, the most famous product and one of my favorites are traditional Lincolnshire pork sausages made by a local butcher, not the pre-packed mass produced rubbish you get in supermarkets up and down the country.

In my adopted county of Leicestershire, the famous foods are Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, Stilton Cheese, Red Leicester Cheese, Potato Crisps (Walkers, Golden Wonder and KP are all based here), Pukka pies and my favorite food, the Indian takeaway:)

raynaputi
2nd March 2011, 18:11
famous desserts of Laguna: buko pie and espasol :hubbahubba:

Terpe
2nd March 2011, 20:58
Famous and iconic dishes for Sendai (Japan) where I lived for a long long time.
TONGUE
Tongue soup, BBQ tongue and my fav sashimi tongue (raw tongue) :hubbahubba:
The whole menu = tongue :hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:
Whah! Happy memories.
Oh another speciality was ice cold SAKE :Cuckoo:

stevie c
2nd March 2011, 21:09
where i live just outside of east london there is a smashing pie & mash shop who make the best pie mash & liquor i have ever tasted then that is my favourite dish :)

malditako
4th March 2011, 19:59
i miss inipit and tamales in bulacan

grahamw48
4th March 2011, 23:31
Yorkshire pudding covered in golden syrup. :)

imagine
4th March 2011, 23:45
when i was a lad there were small sit in shops a bit like a caffee, the main one i remember was called pie oky, there you could sit in buy and eat tripe , not that i liked tripe , but the pie and peas, (pork pies steamed with mushy peas ) was good, swilled down with a frruit cordial drink, places like that are gone now,
at home , traditional sunday dinner,,, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes or boiled, cabbage, carrots, turnip, sprouts,with beef, or roast chicken and stuffing , a nice rich gravy mmmmmmmmm , all this followed by home made rice pudding done in the oven served and topped with carnation milk , thats the cooking my mom did when i was a lad at home, she didnt work as such , those days a full time houswife mother, cooking ,baking, cleaning and shopping , for seven of us including herself,

these days i love my traditional indian curry ,

grahamw48
5th March 2011, 02:04
Do you mean inside the old John Street market in Bradford ?

Fantastic place, like straight from Dickens !
Rows of little tiny cafes/booths around the edge of a big hall, like railway compartments, but open at the front with a little gate across.

I couldn't believe it when I accidentally wandered in there about 1972.

I do hope it's been preserved.

The original Morrisons Supermarket was right across the street too.
(I was a Sales Rep' for Spillers Foods then...Grocery Division...flour graders, etc). :)

gWaPito
5th March 2011, 18:54
Fish dishes rein supreme in our house I had a new one last night, ' big eyed fish' with the obligatory rice. Normally tilapia takes centre stage, but no more! :D

Terpe
5th March 2011, 21:07
Fish dishes rein supreme in our house I had a new one last night, ' big eyed fish' with the obligatory rice. Normally tilapia takes centre stage, but no more! :D

C'mon gWaPito, what's this big-eyed-fish ?
Maybe it'll see you thru the week :D

gWaPito
5th March 2011, 21:20
Thanks Terpe:xxgrinning--00xx3: although im, not sure what you mean:D look Its what it says on the packet, Jane calls it something else. Anyway its nice to be referred to again Its not nice in Coventry:NoNo: