PDA

View Full Version : BALUT, where please

lizaphil
4th March 2011, 20:21
IF I have posted in wrong forum, sorry

I'm trying to get BALUT for my birthday party.
I have about 25 filipinas coming and we all miss BALUT so much:NoNo:
Can anyone help me please?:Wave:

Steve.r
4th March 2011, 20:31
Not sure if it is legal to make them here, never heard of or seem any mentioned before.:Erm:

imagine
4th March 2011, 20:45

aaaaawwwwwwww i didnt know what balut was, i just googled it,,,,,,,, poor little ducks :yikes:

Sim11UK
4th March 2011, 20:50
Someone was selling them at the Bristol Barrio Fiesta, but sorry I have no contact details.
Maybe you should try contacting a Filipino food supplier, they may supply, or know someone who does?

Sim11UK
4th March 2011, 20:52
aaaaawwwwwwww i didnt know what balut was, i just googled it,,,,,,,, poor little ducks :yikes:

You ain't been to the Philippines until you've tried balut....not for the faint hearted. :cwm24:

imagine
4th March 2011, 21:03
You ain't been to the Philippines until you've tried balut....not for the faint hearted. :cwm24:

well i guess i gotta try, another good reason to go to phil.:icon_lol:
ps ,,,, cooked or alive ?

Sim11UK
4th March 2011, 21:12
Oh cooked....like a well done boiled egg, but with a semi formed chick in it. :bigcry:
To be honest, I've only eaten it once & it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm not in a rush to eat it again...Ask Brenda about it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
4th March 2011, 21:17
well i guess i gotta try, another good reason to go to phil.:icon_lol:
ps ,,,, cooked or alive ?

:icon_lol: Sorry Imagine, I couldn't help laughing thinking about what your reaction would be if someone had said alive.

It's something you have to try at least once, but for me once was enough

Steve.r
4th March 2011, 21:38
Here are a few photos of some tasty treats. Chicken guts on a stick are also nice, these ones were on a mobile stand in the middle of Manila. The boiled egg photo is called Penoy, not quite Balut, but close.
Enjoy
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/DSC03641.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/DSC03640.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/DSC03023.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/DSC03313.jpg

Englishman2010
4th March 2011, 21:49
Isaw, the chicken guts is nice:xxgrinning--00xx3: I dont mind the pig guts on a stick either, although it's a bit chewier. I cant see the point of the chickens feet and chickens head on sticks though, I tried them and all they are is skin and bone and really fidly to eat.

Steve.r
4th March 2011, 21:53
Yes Ian, I have not bothered with feet or heads yet, not really what I call a meal, and I dont really like the chew and spit involved in the process. :vomit-smiley-011:

Englishman2010
4th March 2011, 22:06
Yes Ian, I have not bothered with feet or heads yet, not really what I call a meal, and I dont really like the chew and spit involved in the process. :vomit-smiley-011:

Completely agree Steve. Only today, I've been explaining to Elaine that in the west we dont eat any of the fat, bones, skin, head, feet, offal or any of the other cr@p on a chicken. The breast and possibly legs is all we usually bother with. I don't even buy any chicken meat with bones in it, the pre-packed breasts in shrink wrapped trays is all I can be bothered with these days. Pinoys must think we are extremely wasteful

imagine
4th March 2011, 22:13
Oh cooked....like a well done boiled egg, but with a semi formed chick in it. :bigcry:
To be honest, I've only eaten it once & it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm not in a rush to eat it again...Ask Brenda about it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

thank goodness its cooked,:laugher: i had thoughts of it wriggling in my mouth :yikes:

imagine
4th March 2011, 22:15
:icon_lol: Sorry Imagine, I couldn't help laughing thinking about what your reaction would be if someone had said alive.

It's something you have to try at least once, but for me once was enough

im so glad its cooked :laugher: but yeah im game to try :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
4th March 2011, 22:18
nice pics Steve, looks tasty :hubbahubba:

Steve.r
4th March 2011, 22:20
Completely agree Steve. Only today, I've been explaining to Elaine that in the west we dont eat any of the fat, bones, skin, head, feet, offal or any of the other cr@p on a chicken. The breast and possibly legs is all we usually bother with. I don't even buy any chicken meat with bones in it, the pre-packed breasts in shrink wrapped trays is all I can be bothered with these days. Pinoys must think we are extremely wasteful

Just a case of us in the 'west' losing the ability to fend for ourselves, or just being lazy in our 'fast' lives. Just imagine all the power stations shutting, water supplys running dry, shops empty. I think we would all have a shock. Being resourceful, filipinas can teach us an awful lot about survival. and being able to eat most anything would be the first thing we would have to learn. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
4th March 2011, 22:21

I've got some pics of me eating one last year, but they're too big to put on here:Erm:

ampy
4th March 2011, 22:23

:xxgrinning--00xx3: be sure you dont run away when they open balut for you to try,,,:icon_lol: i eat balut too ,but i didnt like the pictures of it in here i didnt realised it is that horrible looks in it,:icon_lol:

Steve.r
4th March 2011, 22:24
I've got some pics of me eating one last year, but they're too big to put on here:Erm:

Ian, host them on Photobucket, and link them in, thats what I do with my photos above :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
4th March 2011, 22:26

I don't know your location Lizaphil but they sell'' balut'' here in Mini Siam Oriental Foods, Wiltshire Tel: 01793 824655
Have a nice Birthday!!!!

ampy
4th March 2011, 22:28
Here are a few photos of some tasty treats. Chicken guts on a stick are also nice, these ones were on a mobile stand in the middle of Manila. The boiled egg photo is called Penoy, not quite Balut, but close.
Enjoy

i dont know why i dont like this picture of balutt here,i love balut but maybe i am still not over with my migrane, i knew it now why foreign thought it is discusting to eat it,,,,it does look better than century eggs though!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
4th March 2011, 22:28
Ian, host them on Photobucket, and link them in, thats what I do with my photos above :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Cheers Steve

imagine
4th March 2011, 22:34
:xxgrinning--00xx3: be sure you dont run away when they open balut for you to try,,,:icon_lol: i eat balut too ,but i didnt like the pictures of it in here i didnt realised it is that horrible looks in it,:icon_lol:

be fine with a can of coke to wash it down :icon_lol:

imagine
4th March 2011, 22:37

you can copy you pics and resize the copy, in paint , or host on photobucket you can resize there too, then from there then put on here

Englishman2010
4th March 2011, 22:40
sorted it, I cropped them to make them smaller.

Here's some pics of me eating Balut last year. Note the funny face I'm pulling isn't my normal look, it's the revulsion of what I was eating:icon_lol:

Englishman2010
4th March 2011, 22:42
I did eat it all though, feathers and all....and I didn't pewk either:D

sars_notd_virus
4th March 2011, 22:43
Uh oh!!! did you say hi to the chick inside the shell Ian??:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
4th March 2011, 22:47
Uh oh!!! did you say hi to the chick inside the shell Ian??:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yeah, just before I ate it:D

sars_notd_virus
4th March 2011, 22:58
Yeah, just before I ate it:D

Cool ...thats the proper way to eat balut!!!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

South-east boy
4th March 2011, 23:37
That's another thing to put on my list of things to avoid in the future! :vomit-smiley-011: :icon_lol:

alanp
4th March 2011, 23:41
my friend sometimes gets Balut at her shop I will ask her tomorrow if she can get some or where the supplier is for you.

Arthur Little
5th March 2011, 01:38
:yikes: ... methinks I've seen and read enough on this thread for one night; time to bal(e) (o)ut!

ampy
5th March 2011, 09:51
I did eat it all though, feathers and all....and I didn't pewk either:D

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

ampy
5th March 2011, 09:54
be fine with a can of coke to wash it down :icon_lol:

i only see the pictures and i cab drink a litre of coke,hahahaha,,:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
5th March 2011, 10:51
The picture re assure me not to even try eating it, it looks dreadful:crazy:
Mick.:)

lizaphil
5th March 2011, 11:42
Thank you.
I will ring them.
OK for all your info, BALUT is 2 week old DUCK (NOT chicken) fetus boiled in its shell.
You can also eat BALUT OUTTA shell again boiled or deep fried (how my hubby likes, he doesnt like it when the fetus eyes are still looking at him:omg:)
You can also get SALTED DUCK EGGS..mmmm masarap:hubbahubba:
Duck egg, taken from the mother and then left in 1ltr of water with 1 cup sea salt in it, leve for 4 weeks, then boil the eggs as you would for hard boiled eggs.
Thanks for the discussion though..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lizaphil
5th March 2011, 11:44
yes please.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have left it late i know this, :dohI had to bring my party forward coz so many were going back home then

sparky
5th March 2011, 12:46

if you have ever had chicken burgers or bernard matthews type products then you will have eaten all this crap inadvertantly:hubbahubba:

Terpe
5th March 2011, 14:22
That's another thing to put on my list of things to avoid in the future! :vomit-smiley-011: :icon_lol:

Absolutely :xxgrinning--00xx3:
That goes for chickens feet and chicken head.
I even don't want to see anyone else eating that.

Like somebody sucking on a pig's foot :yikes::yikes:

worthingmale
5th March 2011, 21:28
have eaten balut whilst being filmed by a very large filipino family on the mobile phones wasnt that bad.

chickens feet was worse for me wont be eating them again

Englishman2010
5th March 2011, 22:17
if you have ever had chicken burgers or bernard matthews type products then you will have eaten all this crap inadvertantly:hubbahubba:

I know, but I haven't eaten any processed meat for years, I only eat meat that looks like meat and is meat:xxgrinning--00xx3: The programme Jamie Oliver made a few years ago, showing what goes into nuggets and burgers was pretty shocking:yikes:

Englishman2010
5th March 2011, 22:34
Here are a few more treats for you. Various offal kebabs at a street stall in Palawan, bargains at 7 pesos each:xxgrinning--00xx3:

The crispy pata (deep fried pigs foot was delicious:xxgrinning--00xx3:, although it was a bit fatty)

Steve.r
5th March 2011, 23:14
When i eat the fat or anything from these roadside sellers, I make sure they are well blackened, ok, pretty much burned before I eat them. Adds taste and kills anything still living inside them :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
5th March 2011, 23:27
How about Fish Balls :Giggler:.......... we had these in the middle of nowhere on a mountain track one day.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/DSC02893.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/DSC02894.jpg

Sim11UK
5th March 2011, 23:36
Great pics there fellas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
6th March 2011, 09:33
Great pics there fellas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I too was just thinking a smiling Filipina always makes a good photo better:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
6th March 2011, 10:09
I too was just thinking a smiling Filipina always makes a good photo better:xxgrinning--00xx3:

What a great thought Mick :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
6th March 2011, 10:22
What a great thought Mick :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Specially when the one with the beaming smile is my mahal :love:

lizaphil
6th March 2011, 21:10
hi everyone,
for those that wanna know where to get balut,heres how me and hubby found where to get ours we was in our local asian shop mianly salling chinese/thai food we said about salted egg/duck egg/ she said heres some,we said in phils we eat balut.she said so do we
but we not call it that(cant remember what they cALL it) but we not allowd to sale it here in uk.
we said can you do balut for us?
she was said yes we can, they are 95p per egg...so thanks everyone but we located theme now :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

lizaphil
6th March 2011, 21:12
yes mick because we are photogenic :xxgrinning--00xx3: :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Terpe
6th March 2011, 21:18
we said can you do balut for us?
she was said yes we can, they are 95p per egg...so thanks everyone but we located theme now :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

So where is that??
Are you gonna share?? or not??

lizaphil
6th March 2011, 21:28
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

lizaphil
6th March 2011, 21:36
So where is that??
Are you gonna share?? or not??

yes of course is located at gravesend kent da12 2ee
tel; 01474353313 asian market,

Terpe