PDA

View Full Version : Learn Tagalog

imagine
7th March 2011, 03:17
Learn Tagalog Online

i accidently found this, it amused me , thought some of you might find it usefull and interesting,

here is the link ,

http://tagaloglang.com/

Ako Si Jamie
23rd March 2011, 23:30
These are the words I know the best :D

mahal
mahal kita
mahal din kita
mabuti
maganda
bakit
oo
sigurado
talaga

Arthur Little
24th March 2011, 03:49
As for me:

Here are 3 phrases that I know best:-

Maayong buntag, mahal ... Good morning, my dear
Maayong hapon, mahal .... Good afternoon, ditto
Maayong gabii, mahal ...... Good evening, ...-do.-

You'll note from the foregoing, that I always greet my wife politely; :D I do admit to being acquaint with a few other ... :Erm: ... "choice" phrases ... but, to mention those on the forum, would mean circumventing the swear filter - and a Moderator must, of necessity, remain ... well ... "moderate" ... by setting a good example to his fellow members, after all. :icon_lol:

simpleHeart
24th March 2011, 05:40
As for me:

Here are 3 phrases that I know best:-

Maayong buntag, mahal ... Good morning, my dear
Maayong hapon, mahal .... Good afternoon, ditto
Maayong gabii, mahal ...... Good evening, ...-do.-

You'll note from the foregoing, that I always greet my wife politely; :D I do admit to being acquaint with a few other ... :Erm: ... "choice" phrases ... but, to mention those on the forum, would mean circumventing the swear filter - and a Moderator must, of necessity, remain ... well ... "moderate" ... by setting a good example to his fellow members, after all. :icon_lol:

Good one Arthur!!!!! but it is in Cebuano dialect not in Tagalog!!!:Erm:

Still it is widely use in Philippines:):):)

Tawi2
24th March 2011, 10:10
The first words I ever learned within an hour of setting foot in Pinas as an impressionable,callow kid were "Dali na sa katre,e**t na ta" and "Ayoko ng babae,gusto ko lang lalake bakla ako":Erm:These were taught me by a taxi driver with a rather perverse sense of humour,he told me they were ideal ways to meet young ladies:NoNo::rolleyes:

malditako
24th March 2011, 10:18
katre is a deep tagalog word which means bed...the sentence means " come on in bed...quick" tell me if it is ideal way to meet young ladies :Rasp:

Tawi2
24th March 2011, 10:28
I know what it means:icon_lol:The guy dropped me at a brothel in Del Pilar Street when I asked him to take me to a nice hotel:NoNo:The first day I was touched up by a couple of effeminate geezers and nearly got into a ruck with the brother of a nice girl:icon_lol:Moral of the story?Learn a little of the language if your married to a pinay,least then if your wife teaches the kids it you can understand what they are saying when they murmer under their breath:icon_lol:

Arthur Little
24th March 2011, 15:17
Good one Arthur!!!!! but it is in Cebuano dialect not in Tagalog!!!:Erm:

Still it is widely use in Philippines:):):)

Yes ... so I believe, Roxanne. :thankyou:. I understand it's most commonly used in the Visayas and also in Mindanao - where my wife belongs.

Steve.r
24th March 2011, 16:36
where my wife belongs. Did you think before posting that Arthur, :icon_lol: are you sending her back :icon_lol::icon_lol:

imagine
24th March 2011, 17:19
Mindanao - where my wife belongs.

why what she done to deserve sending back:laugher:

Arthur Little
24th March 2011, 17:23
Arthur, :icon_lol: are you sending her back :icon_lol::icon_lol:

why what she done to deserve sending back :laugher:

:nono-1-1: ... no chance! :D guys ...

... :rolleyes: ... as if I would, Steve and Stewart. :cwm24:

Doc Alan
24th March 2011, 17:34
Arthur and I "belong tae Glasgow", meaning that's where we originally came from ( born in my case). If you ask either of us "Comfy ?" we will reply "Glasgow" :icon_lol:. Glasgow has two seasons, winter and July, and the quickest way out of Glasgow is with a bottle of whisky ... please don't send us back :yikes:

imagine
24th March 2011, 17:39
Arthur and I "belong tae Glasgow", meaning that's where we originally came from ( born in my case). If you ask either of us "Comfy ?" we will reply "Glasgow" :icon_lol:. Glasgow has two seasons, winter and July, and the quickest way out of Glasgow is with a bottle of whisky ... please don't send us back :yikes:

:laugher::laugher:

Arthur Little
24th March 2011, 17:59
Arthur and I "belong tae Glasgow", meaning that's where we originally came from ( born in my case). If you ask either of us "Comfy ?" we will reply "Glasgow" :icon_lol:.

Correct ... both of us "come" *fae [*Scots for from] Glasgow - meaning each of us was born there - even though we've since settled elsewhere. But - regardless of where either of us live NOWADAYS - we both feel "comfy" (comfortable) belonging to this forum. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th March 2011, 18:32
Glasgow has two seasons, winter and July, and the quickest way out of Glasgow is with a bottle of whisky ...

... :gp: ... that's sooo true - regardless of which of the "two" seasons it happens to be - the tourist will soon discover copious amounts of whisky :NEW1: ... and water :raining: in bountiful supply!

imagine
24th March 2011, 18:33
Correct ... both of us "come" *fae [*Scots for from] Glasgow - meaning each of us was born there - even though we've since settled elsewhere. But - regardless of where either of us live NOWADAYS - we both feel "comfy" (comfortable) belonging to this forum. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

iv met many a glaswegian, some are friends, male and female, some crazy some not, but all were the friendliest buddies iv ever known :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th March 2011, 20:41
please don't send us back :yikes:

:NoNo: ... :please: ... even although, as Stewart says ... the natives are friendly! :xxparty-smiley-050:

all were the friendliest buddies iv ever known :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th March 2011, 20:53
iv met many a glaswegian, some are friends, male and female, some crazy some not, but all were the friendliest buddies iv ever known :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Friendly ... :iagree:

:yeahthat:, Stewart ... although "buddies" - as they're known in Glaswegian parlance - actually belong to nearby Paisley.

imagine
24th March 2011, 21:00
well you learn something new everyday,i use buddies lightly, as in friends ,mates, pals ect,

at 57 and im still learning :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th March 2011, 21:11
well you learn something new everyday,i use buddies lightly, as in friends ,mates, pals ect,

at 57 and im still learning :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

"Paisley buddies" ... I don't really know how they came to be called that, to be honest! :NoNo:

imagine
24th March 2011, 21:22
a glaswegian lady

i once had a wonderful:tounges: long weekend with a glaswegian lady,she travelled up to me on the friday ,she was to travel back monday,the inbetween friday to monday il keep to myself :censored::rolleyes: .i was back to work on monday came home ,my front garden all tidy, dishes washed, washing machine finished a cycle,later when i went to bed , on my pillow a little love note and a red rose layed there for me:thankyou:

simpleHeart
25th March 2011, 03:33
"Dali na sa katre,e**t na ta" and "Ayoko ng babae,gusto ko lang lalake bakla ako" ideal ways to meet young ladies:NoNo::rolleyes:

No wonder Tawi2, you've got black-eyed after approaching ladies here with that phrase:Cuckoo:...

Pasiaw lang!!!!
Pero ayaw jud nagbuhata kay na, mapatay jud ka!!!!
:omg:

Doc Alan
10th May 2011, 22:47
Of course English is widely spoken in the Philippines but I do find my friends appreciate my attempts to speak Tagalog.
"Google translate" is not always reliable and it causes amusement when I use the wrong words which it supplies :).
A similar link to that given by Imagine is www.tagalogphrases.com
There is a useful lonely planet Filipino phrasebook which I bought in the Philippines, available in UK for less than 5 GBP (www.lonelyplanet.com)
I also found a CD-ROM "Learn Tagalog" helpful, if pricey at around 20 - 30 GBP ( www.eurotalk.com).
It's claimed that "if you're serious about learning Tagalog" the "Rosetta Stone Version 3" set is the one to buy, advertised at www.amazon.co.uk for 170.54 GBP. Masayadong mahal ( too expensive ) for me so far ! Does anyone have experience of using this ? Is it worth so much money ?

exadore1
19th May 2011, 21:47
Of course English is widely spoken in the Philippines but I do find my friends appreciate my attempts to speak Tagalog.
"Google translate" is not always reliable and it causes amusement when I use the wrong words which it supplies :).
A similar link to that given by Imagine is www.tagalogphrases.com
There is a useful lonely planet Filipino phrasebook which I bought in the Philippines, available in UK for less than 5 GBP (www.lonelyplanet.com)
I also found a CD-ROM "Learn Tagalog" helpful, if pricey at around 20 - 30 GBP ( www.eurotalk.com).
It's claimed that "if you're serious about learning Tagalog" the "Rosetta Stone Version 3" set is the one to buy, advertised at www.amazon.co.uk for 170.54 GBP. Masayadong mahal ( too expensive ) for me so far ! Does anyone have experience of using this ? Is it worth so much money ?

I have the Rosetta Stone program. It "Throws you at first because no English at all is used. You are taught the same way as you learn t English as a child. Simply looking at things making a choice and remembering what you got right. I have to say it does work, especially if you want to increase your vocabulary over understanding of grammar, but lets face it we all learn t English without being taught grammar (and boy, doesn't it show):icon_lol:

les_taxi
19th May 2011, 23:07
I have R stone and it's good although I have only played about with it a bit due to work pressures

Doc Alan
19th May 2011, 23:55
Thanks exadore1 and Les ! I think joebloggs also said he had R stone. I'll let you know if I do decide to purchase it. :)

les_taxi
20th May 2011, 18:04
Try this demo Doc http://www.rosettastone.com/personal/how-it-works/test-drive
Its just a taster though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry8TW1jpsr8&feature=related

Doc Alan
20th May 2011, 23:32
Thanks again Les :xxgrinning--00xx3: It may be harder learning a language than doing your quiz :icon_lol:, but I really believe it helps wherever you go to make an effort and have some understanding. The challenge in the Philippines is that there are several languages and dialects - allegedly over 150 - for me Tagalog is enough ! Let's face it, we also have a few languages and many dialects in the UK :). English as spoken in Yorkshire is very different to that in Scotland !

Manila_Paul
21st May 2011, 21:22
I'm up to a couple of hundreds words in my vocabulary now and can put together lots of simple sentences. My problem for a while was that wherever I'd practice, I'd have Pinoys laughing at me. Which isn't the best encouragement! I thought this meant I was saying it wrong, until my girlfriend explained that people just found it funny to hear a foreigner speaking full Tagalog sentences like that. Which she seems to regard as a perfectly natural reaction as she does it too! I asked her how she'd have felt if, when she was learning English at school, the teacher started laughing at her English? She got the message but still laughs when I say stuff. :NoNo::icon_lol:

Tawi2
11th June 2011, 12:39
I'm up to a couple of hundreds words in my vocabulary now and can put together lots of simple sentences.
Good man paul,I know guys who have been married for years to a pinay and still cant say anything but mahal and kumusta ka :rolleyes::NoNo: You will get there :xxgrinning--00xx3: