PDA

View Full Version : Driven To Distraction

Arthur Little
9th March 2011, 15:06
I've been meaning to post this thread ever since one of our new members openly expressed disappointment at her scheduled driving test being postponed a few weeks ago.

In response, I was equally open about the fact that I am ... I suppose ... one of that rare breed among the male species - in :Britain:, at least - who ISN'T licensed to drive a motor vehicle of any kind. My reasons for this are already well-documented in that particular thread ... so I shall refrain from boring the :action-smiley-081: off anyone who has the misfortune to stumble across *this one!

Suffice to say *here ... that - with the exception of my 93-year-old aunt - I'M now the ONLY surviving close relative from the many [immediate] family members over the age of 18 who DOESN'T hold this "passport" to the highways and by'ways of my native land ... instead, having to choose between - and, indeed, rely upon - either 'Shanks' Pony', or Public Transport of one kind or another to indulge my penchant for getting about. In the interests of my own safety - and to avert the prospect of my wife becoming widowed for a second time - restrictions even apply to the use of my beloved pedal cycle ... lest my advancing deafness causes me to have a serious and/or fatal accident due to the ever-increasing volume of traffic on today's roads.

So ... purely for the sake of curiosity, you understand :rolleyes: ... I'd like to know how many other members of the masculine gender on here find themselves in the same situation as myself ... i.e., feeling as though they are some kind of "freak" from another planet - simply because, like ME, they don't drive!

mikey73
9th March 2011, 19:07
:Wave:hi arthur
like you i dont drive. never tried nor considering trying for a driving licence.

can see a lot more people doing away with the car due to the excessive costs that are now attached to owning a car.

mickcant
9th March 2011, 19:19
I took my test in 1964 aged 20 and have driven ever since, with the rising cost the old car might have to go but I would miss it:doh
But I do use my bus pass as well.
Mick.:olddude:

sparky
9th March 2011, 22:31
tho my cars have cost me a fortune over the years i couldnt do without them or driving whether it be to and from work or going shopping etc,
the only time i would stop was if i moved to manila:cwm3:

Arthur Little
9th March 2011, 23:08
:Wave:hi arthur
like you i dont drive. never tried nor considering trying for a driving licence.

Mikey ... that's really comforting to know! :xxgrinning--00xx3: I actually went the length of taking out two 'provisional licences' - 30-odd years apart!!! The first was in 1964 ... when my father offered to teach me - having previously taught several of my cousins [successfully!]. Back then, he'd a Ford Anglia - NOT the easiest car to manage - and practically every time I switched on the ignition, the engine stalled. "Kangaroo petrol", i seem to recall it being known as! Rolf Harris would've been amused at my inadvertent attempts to emulate his country's native animal. :Jump: Patient as my dad was, the air often took on a distinct bluish tinge ... and there were even occasions when he and I nearly came to blows :xxsport-smiley-002:. Eventually, it was decided I might be better learning with a professional instructor ... and I duly enrolled for a series of lessons from the great-aunt of a friend of mine. Alas I fared no better there either ... in spite of the car being a dual-controlled Morris Minor ... an altogether more sedate vehicle, - and the "polar" opposite of my dad's high-powered saloon in terms of its infinitely more easily-operated clutch and gearbox.

Next time wasn't until 1995; by then, I was fifty-one - and widowed. But ... based partly on the well-meaning advice of my family - and partly my own lack of self-confidence - I abandoned the whole :idea: of starting again from scratch.

So I never did get around to sitting - let alone - passing a test. :NoNo:

can see a lot more people doing away with the car due to the excessive costs that are now attached to owning a car.

:iagree: ... so can I, Mikey!

imagine
9th March 2011, 23:15
had i not had a car, i would have been very limited for my employment,would never have been in business without it,
here on the outskirts of aberdeen, i couldnt afford not to have one, work wise, shopping wise,and bus fare cost wise and so on,

Englishman2010
9th March 2011, 23:18
I passed my test and got my first car when I was 18. As I was still living under my parents roof, the back seat of my first car came in really useful:Sex::D

Arthur Little
10th March 2011, 00:27
I do use my bus pass as well.
Mick.:olddude:

Thank God for the FREE Scottish Bus Pass ... which I was fortunate enough to qualify for on turning 60 - a year after the age entitlement for men was lowered from 65 - in line with the long-standing arrangement for :oldlady: women. Unlike in my parents' - and earlier generations' - day when pensioners paid half-price ... and travel was restricted to one's own geographical location ... the concession covers the length and breadth of Scotland. :Yippeee:

But there's a dark shadow looming on the horizon: :yikes: May this year, marks the next set of Elections to the Scottish Parliament. And if a certain political party [Lib Dems, I think!] win a sufficient number of seats, rumour has it that the Bus Pass could be curtailed to the extent that travel for Senior Citizens might no longer be free nationally. The reason? To help provide additional funding for students ... so that THEY can pay less in tuition top-up fees. Grrr! :angry:

So whilst I started this post by "thanking" God ... I end it with the words "God forbid"!! :doh

imagine
10th March 2011, 00:44
not to worry arthur, soon there will be more pesioners and they will be the magority, just see who's favour the votes swing in:olddude: then
pay back, what goes around comes around

Arthur Little
10th March 2011, 00:58
As I was still living under my parents roof, the back seat of my first car came in really useful :Sex::D

:icon_lol: ... lucky for some, eh!?

Arthur Little
10th March 2011, 01:01
not to worry arthur, soon there will be more pensioners and they will be the majority, just see who's favour the votes swing in:olddude: then
pay back, what goes around comes around

:rolleyes: ... let's hope - and :pray: - this WILL be the case, Stewart! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
10th March 2011, 16:23
to think of all the money my cars and motorbikes as cost me in the past is a small fortune and with the price of filling up a car now is getting a bit :crazy:, i would get rid of the car if i could and replace it with a little run around.

there so so many other cars on the road now, i would rather just walk to work :)

i passed my mototbike test first time and my car test second time and i currently have 9 points on my license :(

Arthur Little
10th March 2011, 16:50
i currently have 9 points on my license

:cwm24: ... for what :rolleyes: did you get "what for" ?

bornatbirth
10th March 2011, 17:06
sadly i keep driving past fixed speed cameras faster than the speed limit, i might add only just a few mph to get a flash...one time i was talking to the wife after coming home shopping...so i blame her for distracting me :icon_lol:

i dont have a problem with speed camera's if they're working all the time, the above camera has never worked due to my testing it...i used to go past it faster on my cbr600rr than the 30 mph limit and it never worked of course going the other way :D and then one day after about 5 years going past it,....it flashed me :xxaction-smiley-047

Arthur Little
11th March 2011, 02:05
sadly i keep driving past fixed speed cameras faster than the speed limit, i might add only just a few mph to get a flash...one time i was talking to the wife after coming home shopping...so i blame her for distracting me :icon_lol:

i dont have a problem with speed camera's if they're working all the time, the above camera has never worked due to my testing it...i used to go past it faster on my cbr600rr than the 30 mph limit and it never worked of course going the other way :D and then one day after about 5 years going past it,....it flashed me :xxaction-smiley-047

Either you just happen to be photogenic at a distance ... or possibly " broke the camera" when you were testing it! :Bolt:

Tawi2
11th March 2011, 15:45
Cars are sooooo last season,currently using a 7.5 metre RIB for getting from A-B,the twin 175hp outboards are thirsty however:omg:

Ako Si Jamie
11th March 2011, 20:56
I can only think of three guys 30+ I've known who can't drive. One of them had about 9 test failures then gave up altogether.

Arthur Little
12th March 2011, 20:15
It all looks so ea~sy ... watching others :drivingx: - as if it were "the most NATURAL thing in the world to be able to do"! I've seldom had any bother with WRITTEN exams ... putting words on paper ... that sort of thing. And I'm even fairly competent with most DIY tasks - like home decorating, carrying out basic electrical wiring jobs around the house and such like. But driving? :anerikke: For some obscure reason, I just never seemed to've got my head around it! :NoNo:

Ako Si Jamie
12th March 2011, 20:43
Put it this way Arthur, if women can do it, you can. Have you had any driving lessons at all?