PDA

View Full Version : Census 2011

KeithD
20th March 2011, 14:59
Do it online, sooooo much quicker. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

At least they include a nationality of 'English' in this one :) ..... not like the last one during the Labour years :doh

Doc Alan
20th March 2011, 20:18
This is the first time it's been possible to fill in the UK Census online. It's held on the same day - March 27 - throughout the UK, with different paper forms for England and Wales, Scotland , and Northern Ireland. These forms should be destroyed if the information is given online.
Strictly this is a "snapshot" of the population as it stands on this particular day, so only fill it in before 27 March if you're sure nothing will change. It's a legal requirement and anyone trying to avoid taking part can be prosecuted and fined up to 1000 GBP.
About 200 countries in the world regularly carry out population censuses. They are supposed to provide an insight into our lifestyles and needs.

Dedworth
20th March 2011, 20:21
If my memory serves me correctly wasn't there a lot more fuss and hype with the last one, TV and Press Ads, lots of part time door knocker types employed etc etc. Maybe it was yet another example of the previous administration squandering public money :D

stevewool
20th March 2011, 20:22
not opened my letter yet :NoNo:

joebloggs
20th March 2011, 20:38
not opened my letter yet :NoNo:

i've got 2 of them :doh :cwm24:

stevewool
20th March 2011, 20:38
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: why 2

joebloggs
20th March 2011, 20:44
i live at a house owned by my mom, but also rent a house to :doh

Englishman2010
20th March 2011, 20:50
Strictly this is a "snapshot" of the population as it stands on this particular day, so only fill it in before 27 March if you're sure nothing will change. It's a legal requirement and anyone trying to avoid taking part can be prosecuted and fined up to 1000 GBP.
About 200 countries in the world regularly carry out population censuses. They are supposed to provide an insight into our lifestyles and needs.

Oh dear:doh I completed mine and posted it about 2 weeks ago, does that mean I now have to tell them about the 2 dozen illegals I've rented my garden shed to this afternoon:D

Dedworth
20th March 2011, 20:51
Oh dear:doh I completed mine and posted it about 2 weeks ago, does that mean I now have to tell them about the 2 dozen illegals I've rented my garden shed to this afternoon:D

I've already informed the UKBA :D

Englishman2010
20th March 2011, 21:01
I've already informed the UKBA :D

So have I. I was on the phone as soon as I had taken 6 months advance rent in cash:D

joebloggs
20th March 2011, 21:04
So have I. I was on the phone as soon as I had taken 6 months advance rent in cash:D

well they might move into your house when your in the phils in 3wks :rolleyes:

Englishman2010
20th March 2011, 21:09
well they might move into your house when your in the phils in 3wks :rolleyes:

As long as they do it after March 27th, I won't have broken the law regarding my census form

joebloggs
20th March 2011, 21:14
As long as they do it after March 27th, I won't have broken the law regarding my census form

:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

maybe they should have a question on it, asking if your illegally in the uk ? see how many tick yes :Cuckoo::crazy:

:icon_lol:

Doc Alan
20th March 2011, 21:37
... does that mean I now have to tell them about the 2 dozen illegals I've rented my garden shed to this afternoon:D
You're joking of course :icon_lol: ( I think :doh), but you make an important point.
All three UK agencies ( Office for National Statistics / ONS in England and Wales ; General Register Office for Scotland / GROS ; and Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency / NISRA ) have agreed to conduct the Census on the same day. They say they are paying " special attention to hard-to-count and under-represented groups" . These include ethnic minorities, disabled / elderly, faith communities, migrants, non-English speakers, unemployed, people on low income, students and other young adults, gypsy, traveller and other groups "whose response has been historically low".
The Government does need information for policies and public services like health and education. The ONS claim the benefits of the Census outweigh the cost of its collection. A review of the last Census (2001) concluded that if a national identity register could be developed it might remove the need for a Census in the future.
There may indeed be "lies, damned lies, and statistics" :yikes: Certainly the "hard-to-count" groups form a significant number, and unless the information in the Census is accurate it's a waste of time :NoNo:. A carefully taken significant sample of the population, required by law as with the current Census, might be more cost-effective :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
21st March 2011, 00:26
I told them I don't sleep here as I share the field with the sheep at night ;)

Doc Alan
21st March 2011, 08:32
That's more than 1 deviation from normal ( statistically speaking of course) :yikes:

KeithD
21st March 2011, 10:14
That's more than 1 deviation from normal ( statistically speaking of course) :yikes:

I've never said I was normal :Rasp:

subseastu
21st March 2011, 10:50
This is the first time it's been possible to fill in the UK Census online. It's held on the same day - March 27 - throughout the UK, with different paper forms for England and Wales, Scotland , and Northern Ireland. These forms should be destroyed if the information is given online.

Thanks for that Doc, i was going to avoid filling in the form as I don't like too much info about me getting released to god knows who. But as you've pointed out there is a £1000 fine if its not filled in it looks like I'll have to complete it:angry:.

Arthur Little
21st March 2011, 13:14
:anerikke: ... oh well ... I don't have any "skeletons" that've been added to the cupboard - or garden shed - since 2001! :NoNo:

Rosie1958
22nd March 2011, 22:35
Thanks for that Doc, i was going to avoid filling in the form as I don't like too much info about me getting released to god knows who. But as you've pointed out there is a £1000 fine if its not filled in it looks like I'll have to complete it:angry:.

You may be relieved to know that the 2011 census cannot be published for 100 years, by which time, we won't be around to mind. The 1911 census was made available early last year and provides some interesting information about our family ancestors and their whereabouts. :)

KeithD
23rd March 2011, 00:26
.......by which time, we won't be around to mind.....

Speak for yourself .... I have plans .... I've bought a family sized freezer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
24th March 2011, 21:02
I've just opened mine. :NEW5: I suppose I'm going to lose another hour on Sunday filling the damn thing out :rolleyes:

Doc Alan
24th March 2011, 22:04
It really should take around 10 minutes whether you do the online version, or fill in the form using blue or black ink as specified. Unless you want to admit to illegal immigrants lodging with you, or sleeping with sheep ( :yikes:) , you can move rapidly through the questions ( a bit like "snakes and ladders") :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Ako Si Jamie
24th March 2011, 23:27
Seeing you're a doctor it's best doing yours online as they wouldn't be able to make out what you've written;)

imagine
24th March 2011, 23:50

and your wellies :laugher:

imagine
24th March 2011, 23:51
I've just opened mine. :NEW5: I suppose I'm going to lose another hour on Sunday filling the damn thing out :rolleyes:

i did mine online docs right 10 minutes:xxgrinning--00xx3:

FertileOne
25th March 2011, 11:20
Agh, I wrote a lengthy post, hit send, only to find out I was logged out. Second time that's happened.

Ok I'll be more concise this time.

Changes in the new Census. They pledged that after the census 2001, they'd make an overhaul in the way data was collected with regards to ethnicity/national identity. In reality, not much has changed.

1. Ethnicity, they still capture the exact same ethnic-groupings as in the 2001 census (White British, White Irish, White Other, Mixed White/Black Caribbean, Mixed White/Black African, Mixed White/Asian, Mixed Other, Black Caribbean, Black African, Black Other etc.). The only difference is now they've moved Chinese into the Asian group. This may seem obvious. But historically in the uk, the Asian group was reserved for those of South Asian (Desi) origin. So things are more racially correct. However, the census still doesn't capture individual ethnicities, for instance if someone is Nigerian, Somali or a Black Zimbabwean, they're all down as Black African. If you're filipino, then you check Asian Other or Other (I'm not sure if you can write your ethnicity in there). If you're Gujarati, or Punjabi, Indian Tamil, or Indian Bengali, you still check Asian Indian (doesn't tell you much about people that hail from the worlds 2nd most populous country, and the UK's largest ethnic minority).

2. Country of Birth, is the same as 2001 census. This is the only way they can really determine ethnic minority communities. Work out the immigrant population, and try to extrapolate/guess how large the ethnic minority community is (i.e. those immigrants + those born in the uk)

3. National Identity, this was actually first in the 2001 census (see statistics.gov.uk if you doubt it). So again, nothing much new here.

I think this census will be a gross underenumeration for those living in London, and other heavily immigrant areas, or areas with large student populations. In addition anyone who is a tenant, whereby their landlord is the one elected to complete the form. Many landlords will be unsure whether to include their tenants on the questionnaire. My brother (British) and his Eastern european girlfriend won't be counted on this year's census, as their landlord completed the census without including their names. He could get his name put on my parent's census form (which would be inaccurate as they live in different boroughs, so government resources would be allocated incorrectly), but it's unlikely his girlfriend would be counted on any other census form as her other residency is not in this country.

The census is great, but it's not perfect.

KeithD
25th March 2011, 12:34
Always write long posts in Notepad/Word :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Meadows
25th March 2011, 16:46
is it true that if we dont comply this they might impose a fine of not submitting it?:yikes::doh:cwm24:

Terpe
25th March 2011, 17:00
is it true that if we dont comply this they might impose a fine of not submitting it?:yikes::doh:cwm24:

Well that's what is printed on the front of the form.

Terpe
25th March 2011, 17:01
I've just completed mine online. Very quick and very easy.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
27th March 2011, 14:50
Completed mine online too. Took 10 minutes.