PDA

View Full Version : help! which bank in UK would you recommend for me?

medg22
22nd March 2011, 22:02
I have been here for almost 6 months now and was permitted to work in the UK. And so, I need to open my own bank account. What bank would you recommend? I live in a countryside of Northern Ireland. Thank you. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
22nd March 2011, 22:20
Definitely not the Bank of Ireland they have no money :icon_lol: .... if you deposit some they may not want to give it back :D

Go for the one with the best ads!!! :Erm: Halifax :crazy:

medg22
22nd March 2011, 22:40
Hmmm... that is a very good suggestion because Bank of Ireland is my number one option since it's my hubby's bank! Halifax might be good. But I have to check first if it is accessible from my place :) Thank you Keith :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
22nd March 2011, 22:48
On arriving in the UK, my sister in law opened an account with HSBC in our local high street (she already has an HSBC account in Philippines). She is being charged £8 per month for the benefit of having the "passport" account. This seems very unfair since the bank now have the benefit of receiving her salary into the account. If there are any members on here with banking experience, I'd be pleased to hear whether they have any advice, particularly about this account type. In the meantime, I've suggested that she makes a further appointment with the bank to understand whether there are any other bank accounts available to her.

alanmf1
22nd March 2011, 22:48
Welcome to the Forum Medg22:xxgrinning--00xx3: Where about in NI are you? Im from Antrim but now in UK:Wave:

medg22
22nd March 2011, 22:57
Welcome to the Forum Medg22:xxgrinning--00xx3: Where about in NI are you? Im from Antrim but now in UK:Wave:

Hello there alanmf1 :) I am from Dungannon :) been here for almost 6 months now but still doesn't know any Filipinos yet :( are you a Filipino? :)

alanmf1
23rd March 2011, 16:33
medg22..sorry on both counts! I'm now in the Uk originally from Antrim and im engaged to a Filipina from Bohol. My family tell me quite a few Filipina nurses at the Antrim Area Hospital! Hope you are enjoying the friendly atmosphere in Northern Ireland:xxgrinning--00xx3:

medg22
23rd March 2011, 18:37
medg22..sorry on both counts! I'm now in the Uk originally from Antrim and im engaged to a Filipina from Bohol. My family tell me quite a few Filipina nurses at the Antrim Area Hospital! Hope you are enjoying the friendly atmosphere in Northern Ireland:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cool! I am a nurse too. haha! I can't wait to start working and meet Filipino nurses here! haha! People from this place are indeed very friendly :) very nice! Congratulations in advance on your wedding! you've choosen the perfect wife ;)

stevie c
23rd March 2011, 19:16
HI medg my wife opened a bank account with natwest when she arrived here last november & she has not had any problems with them so far :xxgrinning--00xx3:

medg22
23rd March 2011, 19:38
HI medg my wife opened a bank account with natwest when she arrived here last november & she has not had any problems with them so far :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Natwest. Ok. noted :) I must check it online and see if it is accessible from my place. Thank you :)

Terpe
23rd March 2011, 19:55
....Congratulations in advance on your wedding! you've choosen the perfect wife ;)

Wait medg22, I thought it was me who had chosen the perfect wife. :):xxgrinning--00xx3:
Well that's what she always tells me :D

Regarding the banking issue, I would suggest taking time to go around all the major banks close to you and see what they offer in terms of the SERVICES you need and the BENEFITS they offer you for free.
All UK banks have security against bankruptcy. Don't know about Bank of Ireland, just ask.

medg22
23rd March 2011, 20:15
Wait medg22, I thought it was me who had chosen the perfect wife. :):xxgrinning--00xx3:
Well that's what she always tells me :D

Lol. Ok let me say... anybody who has chosen a Filipina wife is lucky ;) haha! am i right? hehe! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
23rd March 2011, 20:27
On arriving in the UK, my sister in law opened an account with HSBC in our local high street (she already has an HSBC account in Philippines). She is being charged £8 per month for the benefit of having the "passport" account. This seems very unfair since the bank now have the benefit of receiving her salary into the account. If there are any members on here with banking experience, I'd be pleased to hear whether they have any advice, particularly about this account type. In the meantime, I've suggested that she makes a further appointment with the bank to understand whether there are any other bank accounts available to her.

Yes ... :iagree: it IS unfair, Rosie :rolleyes: ... particularly since HSBC - of which there are branches in the High Street of most major UK towns and cities - adverise themselves as being "The World's Bank ... brought to 'you' locally"! I suggest your sister-in-law tries the Halifax. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

'

Arthur Little
23rd March 2011, 23:54
*Halifax and the Bank of Scotland merged some years ago ... but - for the benefit of the young nurse who's joined our ranks - I should add that ... being *formerly the UK's largest Building Society ... they will, undoubtedly, have Branch Offices throughout Northern Ireland - and perhaps even the Irish Repulic. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

DaveUK
24th March 2011, 09:39

I bank at HSBC myself so it was the obvious choice for my wife when she arrived in the UK last year. Initially they told her she would need a passport account, but as we said we also wanted a joint account, the lady in the bank hit on an idea. That idea being to add my wife to my account and turn it into a joint account and see if "they" (I don't know if that was a computer or an actual person!) would allow it given my wife was new to the UK. The idea being if it was allowed, my wife would then be free to open a normal (ie non-charging) account for herself as she would then already be in the system.

The application to turn my account into a joint account was successful, but we never did then try and open a seperate account for me wife. We found once she got herself a job that as her payday wasn't consistent (she's paid every 4th Friday), it was just easier to keep everything in the joint account when paying for stuff!

Bluebirdjones
24th March 2011, 10:00
You might as well use ULSTER BANK, which is part of the RBS banking group.
There's one in Market Square, Dungannon
... and you can obviously use the RBS banking network through-out the UK (and the world)

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

medg22
24th March 2011, 17:28
You might as well use ULSTER BANK, which is part of the RBS banking group.
There's one in Market Square, Dungannon
... and you can obviously use the RBS banking network through-out the UK (and the world)

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

thank you :) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
24th March 2011, 20:44
The only two banks I can comment on are Lloyds and HSBC as I've got accounts with both. Much prefer Lloyds as it's better all round. HSBC's customer relations are pretty poor and most of their staff seem to suffer from tampo's. :yikes: