PDA

View Full Version : Bathrooms and Builders.

Tawi2
29th March 2011, 16:44
I am going back to the UK at the weekend to try and get my bathroom refurb underway,just going for a few days to try and source a decent plumber who is insured and hopefully get the job kicked-off,anyone have a ballpark figure or had such works dont,old bathroom gutted new bathroom fitted?Average price for such a project and roughly how long did it take?:Erm:
Its not on a pinoy theme but I could insert CR in place of bathroom:Erm:;)

Arthur Little
29th March 2011, 17:06
I am going back to the UK at the weekend to try and get my bathroom refurb underway,just going for a few days to try and source a decent plumber who is insured and hopefully get the job kicked-off,anyone have a ballpark figure or had such works dont,old bathroom gutted new bathroom fitted?Average price for such a project and roughly how long did it take?:Erm:
Its not on a pinoy theme but I could insert CR in place of bathroom :Erm: ;)

:sorry-2: I cannot offer any recommendations for such a "pressing need" :action-smiley-082: as bathroom accessories ... except to exercise caution on the "contractor" you employ to do the "jobby" :kngt: ... the last thing you want is a load of crap!

Steve.r
29th March 2011, 18:06
I would go to B&Q or Wicks to source your new suite, buy it yourself (cheaper) and just employ the plumber to fit and finish. Tilewise or Topp's Tiles are good to source the style you prefer. In my last house I did the lot myself, but if you dont have time, just make sure you dont get ripped off.

South-east boy
29th March 2011, 19:20
Hi Tawi! Sorry for my later reply! I only saw your post on my blog yesterday, but I don't like writing longer replies on the little screen on my phone. I was decorating when I got home until 10.30pm when I had something to eat and was going to reply then, but ending up falling asleep in my chair until 1.30am!

I did a lot of research for mine such as getting all the brochures from Homebase, Wickes, B&Q, Bathstore and other local plumbing/bathroom showrooms etc. Quite often most of them have a sale on at some point. I also spent a lot of time looking on ebay as there is a lot of stuff there too.

You can buy cheap sets such as £200-300 for the bath, bath taps, basin, basin taps and loo from the main DIY stores, but I wouldn't think the quality is so great and the bath would more likely flex when you stand in it. Also the chrome might not be so great on the taps & not last so long.

I chose the design I liked best and tried to get everything to match and be a similar style, with the best quality and best price for them as you can pay a lot of difference from one place to another.

For basins you can get pedestal ones, wall-mounted ones and ones with cabinets beneath (which I got). The ones with cabinets I find handy as they don't take up much more space, but give you a handy extra storage area.

Here's what I got:
(From Bathstore my bath was £160 (with about £130 off), the basin and cabinet was £260 (with about £170 off), then the wastes/plugs were about £50.

From companies selling on ebay:
shower was £190, shower door was £65, bath panel £35, basin tap was £56, bath taps were £120 and loo was £120 (RRP-£560!). All those things you can pay a lot more from the large DIY stores.

Wall cabinet was £90 from Argos.

I bought packs of large 33cm square tiles from Wickes a few years back in a sale, but you can pay £10-£20 for a pack of 9 of the large size and I used the same on the wall as the floor. Bag of grouting you can buy to mix up or ready mixed -£7-£16. Again quite often you will find certian packs of tiles in a sale at the main DIY stores.

I did the tiling myself on the 4 walls and floor full height on the main bath wall and shower end, then just below half height after the bath area on the wall the wall opposite the bath and the wall behind the basin and loo. I tiled my kitchen floor and as that worked out ok, I thought I'd have a go at the bathroom tiling. I also measured up my room and drew it up on the PC on CAD, then worked out the tile design as I didn't want any slim pieces in the wrong area and it also helped with knowing how many packs of tiles I'd need.

I also did the filling, rubbing down and painting on the walls and ceiling which took ages as the walls were so uneven.

The plumbing was done by a friend who's a plumber and lives nearby. That was £350 for taking out the old stuff, fitting the loo, fitting the basin and cabinet, fitting the bath, bath panel, shower and all the pipework for those.

I've been doing it since the beginning of December! It's taken so long as the bathroom was in such a state before (previous owners did nothing and I think it was the original sanitaryware from the '50's!), there was a lot of tiling and grouting to do, fitted a new door and architrave (neighbour slightly messed up fitting the door, so had to spend hours and hours filling and getting the heading even!) I'm also a perfectionist!

How much yours will cost depends on how much you will do and how much you want them to do. There were tricky things like when he removed the loo-he put a flexi-pipe on it to the soil pipe and I had to flush it with a bucket of water until I had done the tiling underneath that area and he could fit the new loo. Ideally it's best to start tiling from the doorway and then work back as I found that as my walls were slightly out I ended up with a slightly bigger gap before the doorway one-side compared to the other, but once the grouting is done it won't really notice. I'll add a couple of pics shortly at different stages of doing my bathroom.

Hope that helps!

Tawi2
29th March 2011, 19:32
Thanks for such in depth replies lads,very appreciative and thats the truth:xxgrinning--00xx3:SEB i dont really have time to source and buy materials myself,its just a hit-and-run visit hopefully this weekend,I have someone I can trust with better a better interior design eye than myself so they will oversee the project,I just want it done ASAP as I have been promising myself to get it done for the last few years,I never had the time before,nor the cash:Erm:Wouldnt mind seeing pics of yours:)
Steve,hope I dont get ripped off but the clients(me) distance from the job might add a quid or two,as long as its done I guess:)

the last thing you want is a load of crap!
Thomas Crapper will be turning in his grave arthur:icon_lol:

South-east boy
29th March 2011, 19:36
Oh, also forgot the wall extractor vent-they are £25-150. Managed to get mine for £33 and the normal price was £110 or so! Also put some waterproof speakers in the ceiling!

stevewool
29th March 2011, 19:41
depending where you are in the uk i have a great worker i know, and the cost well that all depends on what you want to do to the room, just remember white looks white no mater what the cost is

Tawi2
29th March 2011, 19:55
Oh, also forgot the wall extractor vent-they are £25-150
Need a new one,my old ones noisy:xxgrinning--00xx3:

depending where you are in the uk
Surrey Steve,I will get a couple of quotes and get someone to oversee the project for me,white is good enough for me:xxgrinning--00xx3:

South-east boy
29th March 2011, 21:16
This was how it was just before I moved in!:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5150/5571530203_92a5ff72bc_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5138/5571530209_d486d9f5ba_z.jpg

And this was earlier tonight:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5571688945_28840c7e14_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5105/5571688931_7ba18d3ed5_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5257/5571688949_864f13cd75_z.jpg

grahamw48
29th March 2011, 21:28
Nice job. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The bathroom in my (rented) house where I've lived for the past 3 years apparently cost £6000 four years ago, and the fittings quality is RUBBISH.

Having been a 'Kitchen/Bathroom Designer' in a previous life I have a bit of knowledge.

Price is no indication of quality !

I know it's not relevant to you Tawi2, but the advice to buy your own fixtures and fittings and then have them fitted by a qualified known and trusted fitter and plumber is sound advice IMO. :)

Also, at least you OWN everything if they decide to 'pull the plug', if you'll pardon the pun. :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
29th March 2011, 23:30
Lovely job, Tim! Complete with "bog roll" too ... for your mahal to take back to the Phils as a souvenir! :icon_lol:

South-east boy
29th March 2011, 23:55
Lovely job, Tim! Complete with "bog roll" too ... for your mahal to take back to the Phils as a souvenir! :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: Still got the loo roll holder to fit for it! Also a light to get, marble window cill to fit, little bit of coving where the pipework goes through it, doorway to paint, door to re-fit & paint and a tiny bit of tile grouting, then a few little accessories to finish it off!

Rosie1958
30th March 2011, 00:09
Hi Tawi

I had my main bathroom refitted 3 years ago at a cost of about £3,500. It took about 5 days to rip out the old one and and instal the new. It included fitting a P shaped bath with glass door and ceramic wall tiles, electric shower, large towel radiator, sink with vanity unit, low level WC, 5 downlighters and a lovely cappuccino marble tiled floor which still looks great after 3 years. The bathroom furniture was a bargain and sourced from a local plumbers merchant. Tiles from Topps Tiles

My cloakroom was finished last Saturday and took just over two days to complete. It comprises of a towel radiator, wall mounted vanity unit with rectangular ceramic sink, low level wc, polished granite floor tiles and glass mosaic tiles on one feature wall ....... it looks stunning! The bathroom furniture was purchased in The Bathstores sale last month and the tiles came from Topps Tiles. Total cost including labour £1300.

Finally, my ensuite shower room is being replaced over this Easter and is expected to take 4 days to complete. I shopped around for this - wall mounted unit with granite worktop, low level wc both from Homebase, round sink bowl, tall mixer tap, illuminated mirror and towel radiator all from Bathstore, shower tray and door from B&Q, tiles from Topps Tiles, also 3 downligters ........ total cost including labour approx £2300.

SouthEast Boy - great job with your bathroom, you must be feeling very pleased and satisfied with your very own efforts :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
30th March 2011, 07:55
SEB, wow, that's a great job you did on your bathroom. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Refurbishing a bathroom is not so troublesome these days for DIYT enthusiasts.
But, it takes quite a lot of time, effort and some knowledge. I also agree with others that sourcing your own fittings is a much better idea.

Problem is that Tawi2 has nowhere near enough time to work on the bathroom himself. Hardly enough time to select the equipment, fittings and overall design.
Means hobsons choice. Hope it all goes well.

Steve.r
30th March 2011, 10:35
Nice work Tim :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
30th March 2011, 11:19
cost £6000
Thats the ceiling of my price-range,dont want to shell out more than that because I dont have more than that:)
Tim,I cant see your pics:Erm:I will log back in later and try to view them,this place doesnt have decent internet connection:NoNo:
Rosie,women are always nest builders,very houseproud,your place sounds great:)
I think some guys are different,as long as I can get my head down its fine with me,I really am minimalistic and very basic(But am currently residing in a half million pound villa with a great pool,not mine,I dont own it but with I did:icon_lol:).
I might take pics of the new bathroom though mine is so small I will need a fisheye lens to get it all in:NoNo:

Arthur Little
30th March 2011, 12:01
:icon_lol: Still got the loo roll holder to fit for it! Also a light to get, marble window cill to fit, little bit of coving where the pipework goes through it, doorway to paint, door to re-fit & paint and a tiny bit of tile grouting, then a few little accessories to finish it off!

Seriously though, mate ... you've carried out a truly marvellous conversion. And, although I could scarcely match your skills, we share the same tastes for colour co-ordination. Your girlfriend will be completely "bowled over" (excuse the pun!) when she sees it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
30th March 2011, 12:54
.....Your girlfriend will be completely "bowled over" (excuse the pun!) when she sees it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Still on the ball then cock :D

grahamw48
30th March 2011, 17:48
Yes, I reckon he'll be bathed in glory and flushed with pride when she sees his handiwork, and no need for any soft-soaping :)

(Sorry...couldn't resist tapping into this thread with some toilet humour) :D

Terpe
30th March 2011, 18:31
Yes, I reckon he'll be bathed in glory and flushed with pride when she sees his handiwork, and no need for any soft-soaping :)

(Sorry...couldn't resist tapping into this thread with some toilet humour) :D

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Nice work Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur, your turn :)

Arthur Little
30th March 2011, 19:57
Arthur, your turn :)

:doh ... okay ... anything to oblige ...

"bowled over" when she sees it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Still on the ball then cock :D

... sooo bowled over ... she'll send pictures to her *cister 'n' brother about it - on [her] ~o~o~o~-chain-o~o~o~ mail (read chained male ) - basin' it on her "night on the tiles" with Tim ... and *they'll baith lav :laugher: at this "cock and ball" story!

Terpe
30th March 2011, 20:09
:laugher::laugher::laugher: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
30th March 2011, 20:12
£6000

......Thats the ceiling of my price-range,dont want to shell out more than that because I dont have more than that :)

Phew Tawi2, wish I could rise those dizzy heights :D

alanp
30th March 2011, 20:13
hi tawi saw this on yahoo could there are so links to recomended tradesmen

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-9-biggest-DIY-blunders-yahoofinanceuk-1430846456.html

grahamw48
30th March 2011, 20:18
What a shower we are. :icon_lol:

Question is....are you a Fairy or a Lifebuoy.... scrubber or Mr.Muscle ?

Full of Flannel or full of **** ? :D

Arthur Little
30th March 2011, 22:54
What a shower we are. :icon_lol:

Question is....are you a Fairy or a Lifebuoy.... scrubber or Mr.Muscle ?

Full of Flannel or full of **** ? :D

Yes :rolleyes: ... I suppose they'll need a good sponge down also ... otherwise they mightn't feel to(o)well afterwards!

grahamw48
31st March 2011, 00:04
Arthur, I reckon we're really plumbing the depths here.

If we keep going off-topic we'll be getting into hot water :icon_lol:

subseastu
31st March 2011, 10:19
This was how it was just before I moved in!:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5150/5571530203_92a5ff72bc_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5138/5571530209_d486d9f5ba_z.jpg

And this was earlier tonight:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5571688945_28840c7e14_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5105/5571688931_7ba18d3ed5_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5257/5571688949_864f13cd75_z.jpg

I prefer the before pictures :icon_lol: Nice job though, looks well finished. I had a mate just do his bathroom, tokk it back to plaster and got some chaps in to do it all for him. Bearing in mind he had the floor and walls all tiled and some stuff moved around so that involved re-plumbing. All in it cost £6000:yikes:.

Arthur Little
31st March 2011, 14:16
Arthur, I reckon we're really plumbing the depths here.

If we keep going off-topic we'll be getting into hot water :icon_lol:

:) Indeed, Graham ... others might think we're going "round the bend" :crazy: ... as indicated by the green arrow (above left) ... and in need of a cold :Shower:!

South-east boy
31st March 2011, 22:32
Thats the ceiling of my price-range,dont want to shell out more than that because I dont have more than that:)
Tim,I cant see your pics:Erm:I will log back in later and try to view them,this place doesnt have decent internet connection:NoNo:
Rosie,women are always nest builders,very houseproud,your place sounds great:)
I think some guys are different,as long as I can get my head down its fine with me,I really am minimalistic and very basic(But am currently residing in a half million pound villa with a great pool,not mine,I dont own it but with I did:icon_lol:).
I might take pics of the new bathroom though mine is so small I will need a fisheye lens to get it all in:NoNo:

I'm not sure if you have managed to see the pics yet, but if you have, you'll see that mine is not exactly big! I had a bit of a problem as most of the basin cabinets that were available seemed to be 600mm w and above and that was just too wide to go between the bath and the loo, so I was limited to my choice of ones around the 500mm w size. I also had an angled soil pipe to move it away a little bit more too. Although I fitted ok on the loo with a straight pipe, someone bigger or of course women who have hips would be a bit nearer to the cabinet.

I forgot to mention that the wiring for the extractor fan cost £60. Most fans to buy are £30-70. I got mine because of the design and it's also a super-quiet one (they usually give the db of how loud the fan is when you read the details of the fan before you buy).

Recessed ceiling lights look very nice, but of course more to buy, fit and use more electricity.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. :xxgrinning--00xx3: I'll add a couple of pics once its totally finished and got all the little accessories & things in the right place.

Tawi2
3rd April 2011, 20:07
Alanp,thanks for the list of contractors,I need a kitchen refit once I scratch up the cash so the tradesmen list will be useful:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Tim,I can see your pics now,wow your "Before" pic was 1970's retro:cwm24:The new version looks great:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Phew Tawi2, wish I could rise those dizzy heights
I am the one who is going to be dizzy Terpe when it comes to parting with the cash:NoNo:Scottish blood courses through my veins :bigcry:

Tawi2
4th April 2011, 22:11
Got back yesterday,ran around like a blue bummed fly today getting this that and the other,went to several DIY and plumbing/building merchants,my sis is dealing with everything while I am away,hopefully back in a month or so to start the whole thing again with the kitchen:rolleyes:Got a few shocks today and might start another profession as I was given a ballpark figure of £30 a metre for tiling:cwm24:Thats just labour costs:cwm24:I am in the wrong game:NoNo:

Tawi2
5th April 2011, 18:54
Arrived back here just over an hour ago,just sitting beside the pool contemplating my next trip to the UK,need a new kitchen,hopefully the bathroom will be all done and dusted upon my return:Erm:

Terpe
5th April 2011, 19:01
Tawi2 why are you shacked-up in my villa :omg:

Tawi2
5th April 2011, 19:04
Tawi2 why are you shacked-up in my villa
Yours is the bigger one on the next plot;)

fred
6th April 2011, 01:36
Got a few shocks today and might start another profession as I was given a ballpark figure of £30 a metre for tiling

Small bathrooms are time consuming to tile and not the best areas to make a living from when working on a price because of the amount of cuts and pissing about..
30 Quid seems a bit steep but how many meters of tile does the room amount too and how long does he reckon it will take him??
Just wondering what he expects to earn for a days work.

Tawi2
6th April 2011, 07:42
I dont know how much he will earn for the day fred,I popped into a tile shop and asked the guy for referrals and Plumbers business cards,he said he himself normally earns £30 a square metre,thats why I want to be a plumber in my next life:xxgrinning--00xx3:
My bathrooms tiny,I followed the old maxim of buying the worst place in the best area I could afford,prices round there are steep and in general its not an area where people practice DIY,they just get a tradesman in,i left 6k to get the job done,if theres any cash left when I go back its a bonus,i just needed the job done.I got a plumber for my boiler when it went on the blink,he charged me £380 for a couple of hours work if memory serves correct:Erm:

grahamw48
6th April 2011, 09:57
I think there's quite a few of us wishing we hadn't poo-pooed the idea of being a 'tradesman' after leaving school. :)

I have visited some very upmarket properties belonging to plumbers/electricians etc in recent years.

In fact an old electrician friend of mine owns maybe 100 properties in and around my town now. :cwm24: When he was 24 he only had 12 bringing in rent from DHSS people. :rolleyes:

Tawi2
7th April 2011, 07:46
In fact an old electrician friend of mine owns maybe 100 properties in and around my town now.
I have a mate who has a similar number,he lives in luxury in Thailand nowadays,in his mid-40's,and has the life of reilly:icon_lol:
I served an apprenticeship,got a trade and didnt work in that field again:Erm:But I know a number of sparks,chippies and plumbers who are minted:icon_lol:

South-east boy
7th April 2011, 11:21
Handy to have a trade like that as you can always earn extra by working some evenings or weekends if you want and you'll always have a supply of work.