PDA

View Full Version : Immigration Border Control - Highest form of Racism

RickyR
31st March 2011, 02:55
If you think about how Border Control works, they decide based on someones nationality whether they will enter the country, and can deny them based on a stereotype of a typical person in that place. This is essentially racism, and makes me wonder how governments who employ border policies like the UK and America can justify the over compensated equal opportunity policies in one hand and have these policies in the other.

We all accept, that if you just opened your borders gates, the country would be swamped immediately, but it doesn't negate the fact that border control is racism.

Does my view seem logical or irrational?

mickcant
31st March 2011, 08:21
I have given up trying to understand how the UK Border Agency work or think:furious3::cwm23::ReadIt:
Mick.:cwm3:

KeithD
31st March 2011, 09:42
So the only way to resolve it is to let them all in but stop any British whites from getting back in the country :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Erm: :crazy:

...and it's not actually racism under the official meaning of the word.

joebloggs
31st March 2011, 10:33
i dont think its racism , if you discover from certain countries people are more likely to use fake papers to try and obtain a visa, surely your going to do more checks and scrutinize the application more than a app from somebody who is applying for a visa where there is little fraud.

i think it was not long ago they shut down the visa section in India for a while because of fraud?, and i think Jamaica was a difficult place to get a visa from, but I've now seen UKBA has made it easier because of changes the Jamaican gov made..

sars_notd_virus
31st March 2011, 11:40
Didn't notice any discrimination yet, am sure they know what they are doing ..what annoys me is some border officials language when they speak, i cant understand a bit,...I always have to borrow the word ''pardon'', excuse me , say it again? I think they should hire multi linguist if the papers don't speak for itself:Erm::D

Arthur Little
31st March 2011, 12:05
Does my view seem logical or irrational?

:gp:, Ricky ... and perfectly logical too. But - in all fairness - I think the Border Agency's apparent "attitude" probably stems from bitter lessons learned in the past - involving a seemingly higher influx of illegals from certain countries.

Arthur Little
31st March 2011, 13:43
- involving a seemingly higher influx of illegals from certain countries.

And ... of course ... this, in turn, rebounds on *those wishing to come to the UK for GENUINE reasons :rolleyes: ... making it all the harder for *them to be granted visas!!!

Arthur Little
31st March 2011, 13:54
So ... I suppose, from that angle, at least ... :yeahthat: ... the need for extra vigilance is understandable.

Englishman2010
31st March 2011, 14:53
I've noticed that a high proportion of UK immigration officials are of Indian descent, and I always feel that I am highly scrutinised when I re-enter the UK.

Personally I don't have a problem with the way border officials are in the UK, with so many illegals here they have got to be firm with anyone entering the country, whether they are white, brown, black, green or blue. I might feel differently if they ever refused me re-entry in to the UK:omg:

gWaPito
31st March 2011, 15:19
Didn't notice any discrimination yet, am sure they know what they are doing ..what annoys me is some border officials language when they speak, i cant understand a bit,...I always have to borrow the word ''pardon'', excuse me , say it again? I think they should hire multi linguist if the papers don't speak for itself:Erm::D

Its a case of lazy talking, they eat there words, just like me sometimes :D

Border control are letting in people who can support themselves without being a burden on the downtrodden British tax payers.

joebloggs
31st March 2011, 16:36
I've noticed that a high proportion of UK immigration officials are of Indian descent, and I always feel that I am highly scrutinised when I re-enter the UK.

something you might not be aware of Indians cannot have dual nationality, that's why many have ILR but don't apply for citizenship.

any citizen of India who by naturalisation or registration acquires the citizenship of another country shall cease to be a citizen of India. It also provides that any citizen of India who voluntarily acquires the citizenship of another country shall cease to be a citizen of India

Terpe
31st March 2011, 18:28
Sorry Ricky, have to disagree with you this time. I don't see any evidence of racism within UKBA.
There may well be some form of unofficial 'profiling' etc, but to be totally honest I think we would all do some of that at some time.

What put the seed of that idea into your thinking Ricky?

Arthur Little
31st March 2011, 18:44
something you might not be aware of Indians cannot have dual nationality, that's why many have ILR but don't apply for citizenship.

:cwm24: ... wasn't aware of it. :NoNo:

any citizen of India who by naturalisation or registration acquires the citizenship of another country shall cease to be a citizen of India. It also provides that any citizen of India who voluntarily acquires the citizenship of another country shall cease to be a citizen of India

Maybe the "powers that be" feel they have too many Indians :rolleyes: ... and not enough Chiefs!!

shinx
2nd April 2011, 18:01
I like Ali G's idea - just let in all the 'fit' girls :)) (joke)

somebody
2nd April 2011, 21:36

Many have PIO status which i think if i rember correct means they can buy propety in india and have an indefinte visa status but not full dual citzenship.

joebloggs
2nd April 2011, 21:52
I like Ali G's idea - just let in all the 'fit' girls :)) (joke)

how many of these girls will end up marrying illegal immigrants or europeans living in the uk :NoNo:, maybe a good idea if they have to marry a Brit :rolleyes:

Dr Graham
6th April 2011, 03:53
To Deny ANYTHING, let alone Entry Into The UK, to ANYONE, because of their RACE or NATIONALITY, is, by Definition, RACISM !

YES we should ban UNDESIRABLES from entering the UK, but "Not Being British" is no qualification for being Undesirable.

Terpe
6th April 2011, 08:18
To Deny ANYTHING, let alone Entry Into The UK, to ANYONE, because of their RACE or NATIONALITY, is, by Definition, RACISM !

YES we should ban UNDESIRABLES from entering the UK, but "Not Being British" is no qualification for being Undesirable.

Anyone wishing to enter UK for any reason needs to fill out the application form and comply with immigration requirements. There is no racism involved at any part of the process. If you have any evidence to suggest otherwise report it to the authorities.

Yet, you would ban 'undesirables' --- whatever the definition of 'undesirable' is. Sounds quite subjective to me depending on someones frame of reference. :D

Tawi2
6th April 2011, 08:25
I dont think its racism,just common sense policy,its like a size 20 bird trying on the skirt of her size 8 sister,she just wouldnt all fit and the skirt would be bulging at the seams,your right,the UK would be SWAMPED within weeks a free for all entry system policy was announced :NoNo: Turkey has just tightened up immigration/visa policys specifically for filipinos:Erm:

Arthur Little
6th April 2011, 17:52
Turkey has just tightened up immigration/visa policys specifically for filipinos :Erm:

Filipinos? :cwm24: ... why tighten up immigration policies specifically aimed at Filipinos?

Arthur Little
6th April 2011, 18:41

:nono-1-1: ... either you misunderstand - or you're being naive. There has to be strict control on who should be allowed entry to the UK in order to keep out the undersirables you mention. As I've already pointed out :poke: in an earlier post, much of the action currently being taken by British Immigration Officials derives from bitter lessons learnt in the past - when a pattern emerged involving a significantly higher proportion of illegals from specific countries. And, in this respect - if no other - they're serving their purpose effectively within the framework of resources available to them. Indeed, it could even be argued that some of the measures aren't tough enough.

Tawi2
6th April 2011, 20:58
why tighten up immigration policies specifically aimed at Filipinos?

http://kawakayan.blogspot.com/2011/04/filipinos-are-banned-from-turkey-for-4.html

branno
6th April 2011, 22:39
on a more cheerful note here, ive just read some facts on percentages of visas refused ..all tho these are a few yrs old its still its may be still reflective on todays figures too... the british high commission in lagos had a staggering 101,000 visa application refusing 46,000 .. the highest number of visa applications was from lagos, nigeria.. (without the right of appeal).. manila had the lowest rate of refusals at 22% of 9000 applications recieved... so hey theres hope.. these were figures from 2005..

Arthur Little
6th April 2011, 23:01
the british high commission in lagos had a staggering 101,000 visa application refusing 46,000 .. the highest number of visa applications was from lagos, nigeria.. (without the right of appeal).. manila had the lowest rate of refusals at 22% of 9000 applications recieved... so hey theres hope.. these were figures from 2005..

Rather proves my point ... even if the statistics you quote ARE nearly six years' old! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
7th April 2011, 00:24
It definately is racism, its just acceptable in this context, because its from the government. We all accept though, that without immigration controls, we'd be swamped.

joebloggs
7th April 2011, 04:03
on a more cheerful note here, ive just read some facts on percentages of visas refused ..all tho these are a few yrs old its still its may be still reflective on todays figures too... the british high commission in lagos had a staggering 101,000 visa application refusing 46,000 .. the highest number of visa applications was from lagos, nigeria.. (without the right of appeal).. manila had the lowest rate of refusals at 22% of 9000 applications recieved... so hey theres hope.. these were figures from 2005..

them quotes i don't think are for settlements visa's, there probably an over all % rate of visit visa's, student visa etc.. as with a settlement visa you should have the right to appeal..

branno
8th April 2011, 00:11
I have given up trying to understand how the UK Border Agency work or think:furious3::cwm23::ReadIt:
Mick.:cwm3:

i dont think its consistent... as it could be..

branno
8th April 2011, 21:38
It definately is racism, its just acceptable in this context, because its from the government. We all accept though, that without immigration controls, we'd be swamped.

hi ricky r... may i just add to wot ur saying... i too feel in wot ur saying.. i think also that we could relax certain things in the visa department... wether its a girl friend or wife .. we do seem to be very harsh wen it comes to the ukb requirements..why cant we have a one week two week or 4 week holiday visay without all the bloody requirements.. i kno as you kno that if ur from the eeu.. its ok if u cant speak english.. but if ur american its exempted too... i too feel that if u can prove every thing there shud be no doubt as to wether u can or cannot fund any thing... we can move so freely in europe but any one else is restricted... yeahhh it stinks in my eyes too

branno
8th April 2011, 21:52
:nono-1-1: ... either you misunderstand - or you're being naive. There has to be strict control on who should be allowed entry to the UK in order to keep out the undersirables you mention. As I've already pointed out :poke: in an earlier post, much of the action currently being taken by British Immigration Officials derives from bitter lessons learnt in the past - when a pattern emerged involving a significantly higher proportion of illegals from specific countries. And, in this respect - if no other - they're serving their purpose effectively within the framework of resources available to them. Indeed, it could even be argued that some of the measures aren't tough enough.

the horse has bolted ...

Dr Graham
8th April 2011, 23:22
After every major Overseas Football Match the UKBA lets Thousands of KNOWN UNDESIRABLE SCUM back into the UK, and because these guys are British, THEY don't have to fill in any forms in order to enter the UK.

So I have to disagree with Terpe when he says "Anyone wishing to enter UK for any reason needs to fill out the application form and comply with immigration requirements. There is no racism involved at any part of the process."

The very fact that it is NOT EVERYONE, and ONLY NON-BRITONS who have to fill in these forms and comply with Immigration Rules PROVES that the whole process IS RACIST !

The UKBA is NOT happy to receive criticism.
In the past I've struggled to get anywhere with them until I started to involve my MP.

Anyone who thinks the UKBA operates without Racism should watch the episode from the recent TV Documentary Series, when officers were shown on "Station Patrol".

This activity doesn't take place at any "Border" of the UK, but at our main Bus, Train and Tube Stations.
Groups of UKBA Officers "lurk" outside these Transport Hubs at Peak Periods and single out travellers who "LOOK FOREIGN". Without the presence of REAL POLICE OFFICERS they then Publicly Humiliate and Challenge these travellers, to Produce Papers or Proof that they are entitled to be in the UK !

If you or I picked on people who are going about their daily business and subjected them to abuse ...... purely because they "LOOKED FOREIGN" ....... we'd be ARRESTED !

Even REAL POLICEMEN are NOT ALLOWED to hassle foreigners, just because they LOOK FOREIGN !