PDA

View Full Version : Seve Ballesteros R.I.P.

Doc Alan
7th May 2011, 13:47
Spanish golf hero Seve died today - aged 54 - after a battle with brain cancer first diagnosed in October 2008.
He won the Open three times, the Masters twice, and made eight playing appearances in the Ryder Cup.
Primary brain tumours (as opposed to spread from other sites like lung and breast) are very uncommon (even less common in the Philippines than Europe and USA), but can occur at any age. There are many different types ( Seve had an incredibly rare oligoastrocytoma ). The cause is usually unknown ( some are related to genetic conditions, radiation, previous cancers and weakened immunity ). From the evidence we have so far, we still can't say that mobile phones pose a problem to health.
My grandfather ( also a doctor ) died in his forties from a brain tumour, many years before mobile phones existed. It seems that in his case, Seve Ballesteros's case, and for most other people with brain tumours, it's down to bad luck.
Condolences to Seve's family.

branno
7th May 2011, 14:17
yeahh its a tragedy .. my father passed away tuesday gone also due to a brain tumour, which possibly came from his lung cancer.. which he had removed two yrs previous and given the all clear... a few weeks prior to him dying we was told that its the on set of dementia.. so blood test were carried out.. at our local practitioners..and we are still awaiting those results.. bit late now..

alanmf1
7th May 2011, 14:49
@DocAlan.. Seve is a legend, great competitor and a true gentleman. He changed the face of european golf... i remember watching him at the open when i was a boy back in NI and i think he made a few appearences on PRO CELEBRITY GOLf!!

Like most professional sportsmen he didnt let his illness get him down..inspirational

RIP SEVE

@Branno sorry to hear of your loss.

bornatbirth
7th May 2011, 17:00
a bad week for sport and for branno too!, sorry for your loss.

branno
7th May 2011, 19:30
cheers alan incidently ma dad could of played footie for preston north end yrs ago and for yorkshire at cricket... some how he prefered the army .. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

branno
7th May 2011, 19:31
a bad week for sport and for branno too!, sorry for your loss.

cheers bornatbirth. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
7th May 2011, 22:57
yeahh its a tragedy .. my father passed away tuesday gone also due to a brain tumour, which possibly came from his lung cancer...
My condolences also to you Branno. Spread to the brain from another site such as lung is FAR commoner than a primary brain tumour. This is almost certainly the situation with your late father. Probably 1/5 lung cancers already have involvement of the brain when they're diagnosed ; these secondary brain tumours tend to be multiple and inaccessible to surgical removal.
Seve Ballesteros was still a fairly young man, with three children - his cancer was of a type which was unlikely ever to be cured. Other types of primary brain tumours ARE curable.

branno
8th May 2011, 04:57
My condolences also to you Branno. Spread to the brain from another site such as lung is FAR commoner than a primary brain tumour. This is almost certainly the situation with your late father. Probably 1/5 lung cancers already have involvement of the brain when they're diagnosed ; these secondary brain tumours tend to be multiple and inaccessible to surgical removal.
Seve Ballesteros was still a fairly young man, with three children - his cancer was of a type which was unlikely ever to be cured. Other types of primary brain tumours ARE curable.

may they both r.i.p

cheers doc.

Sim11UK
8th May 2011, 23:49
yeahh its a tragedy .. my father passed away tuesday gone also due to a brain tumour

I'm sorry to hear that, my Father died from a primary brain tumour, when I was 23...I think it probably made me grow up really?

Arthur Little
9th May 2011, 19:49
my father passed away tuesday gone

Sincerest condolences, Rob - on the sad loss of your father - the passing of a loved one is never easy to bear ... but time really IS a great healer. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

branno
9th May 2011, 23:25
Sincerest condolences, Rob - on the sad loss of your father - the passing of a loved one is never easy to bear ... but time really IS a great healer. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

thank you kindly arthur.. and yeah time is a great healer too ..