PDA

View Full Version : Eldery Dependent Application

Aingeall
11th May 2011, 10:57
:Erm:I'm relatively new to this forum, so I may sound ignorant. I'd like to seek an advice from anyone who had experience applying for such visa...the agonising wait for a decision. I recently lodged in an application for my widowed mum as a dependent. She's 65 & is solely dependent on me financially. I have provided evidence of the money I sent to our joint account in Manila, though it's not a regular monthly one, as I left her the money left on my dad's account before he passed away in March 2009 (money I've sent regularly for both of them through his account since 2003). All the remittances documents since 2003 were attached in the application. First question, will the embassy question the joint account me & my mom have in Manila?
I have submitted my bank statements for the last 6months with a monthly amount of more than a thousand pounds, but there are 2 or 3 days in the middle of each month I went lower than £550 (which is the amount necessary to be in my account each month). 2nd question, would this affect the application? I thought it wouldn't matter anymore, as we have an account in Manila. But looking at the forum re this it made me nervous.
I still haven't heard from UKVACS since my mum applied. It has been 8 working days.
I sent as much evidence needed, but too late to realise re my bank statements & joint account.
My mum literally lives on her own now, as I am a naturalised citizen here with my family & my only sister lives in England with her family too.
Whatever the result is, I'll post it if it'll help anyone in same situation. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

joebloggs
11th May 2011, 13:21
does your mom have any other brothers or sisters in the phils ?

8 days is not long, i wouldn't start worrying yet :rolleyes:

i see your in ireland, did you get a family permit or a spouse visa when you came to the uk ?

Aingeall
11th May 2011, 15:33
I was on working permit, then ILR. I was naturalised in 2009. My mom's siblings all passed away already. She has one more half sister who lives in the province, but they never talk. She has some niece & nephews in the province, but are not financially stable. I only have one sister who also lives in England with her family, but never actually helped her before, as they only arrived in UK in April 2010. I was the one who sent my sister in college, not my parents. I noted it in the application. She worked in Saudi as a nurse for two yes prior to arrival here, but her salary is just enough for her family.

Aingeall
11th May 2011, 15:34
By the way, Northern Ireland is part of UK. :)

Aingeall
3rd June 2011, 00:57
My mum got a phone call from the embassy to tell her she's for interview. They are asking her for additional requirements. (1)tax credit award letter for UK sponsor, (2)independent accommodation report of UK sponsor house.
What is the tax credit award letter? Is the conveyance report not enough as proof of my accommodation.
Can someone please help. :doh

Aingeall
My mum got a phone call from the embassy to tell her she's for interview. They are asking her for additional requirements. (1)tax credit award letter for UK sponsor, (2)independent accommodation report of UK sponsor house.
What is the tax credit award letter? Is the conveyance report not enough as proof of my accommodation.

Aingeall
What is the tax credit award letter? Is the conveyance report not enough as proof of my accommodation. What is the independent report?

joebloggs
3rd June 2011, 08:10
you must be claiming tax creds ? , if so yearly or when ever you tell the tax creds people of a change they send you letter stating what your entitled to and what you will receive each month.

does the conveyance report mention anything about over crowding ? , i doubt it, you could ask your local council to do a overcrowding assessment.

joebloggs
3rd June 2011, 08:15
By the way, Northern Ireland is part of UK. :)

:D it is, but i assumed your husband had Irish and British passports so you could have tired to bring your mom using a family permit, but from your later post i see you got ILR thru a work-permit :doh

Aingeall
3rd June 2011, 13:25
Hi Sir Joebloggs! Thanks for your replies. I really appreiate it this time. I first came in Northern Ireland on a working permit in Jan 2003, then brought my husband & 2 kids over as my dependents. We all got our ILR in 2008, then became citizens in 2009. My only sister came over in Cambridge with her family in April 2010 on a Tier2 Working visa with her husband & 2kids as dependents. The only one left at home is my mom.
Am I eligible to apply for my mum a family permit instead of an Elderly dependent visa if we are only naturalised citizens?
I phoned my Solicitor today to ask for a letter re my house & accommodation, as he was the one who did all the paper works when I bought it in 2004. Would that be of importance? I have no time to get Independent Accommodation Report, as my mum's interview is on Tuesday, 07/06/11. I also went to Inland Revenue to get my Tax Credit Report for the Child Tax Credit I am getting, but they told me they just posted the latest reports for year 2010-2011 on May 30, 2011. It usually takes 2wks to receive it. I noted the name of the Representative I was talking to & is planning just to email my mom re this. Do you think the Embassy would be kind enough to consider it. I have the copy of my Child Benefits though. Do I need to send it as well?
I really am nervous of the outcome of this interview. I told my mum just to be honest on why she wants to come over, and that she has nothing to worry as long as she answers the questions as honestly as she can.
Is there any advise you can give about the possible questions they may ask. Thank you very much. It's nice to know you can talk to someone about this. I really appreciate your effort in getting back to me.

joebloggs
3rd June 2011, 13:44
no you cant apply for a family permit for her, as you need to be in another EU country and exercising your treaty rights, some people who were born in northern Ireland can apply for British and Irish passports.

did you not send evidence you own the property?
Accommodation (home owners) If the sponsor owns his home, he should include a certified copy of the deed showing this. If the sponsor has a mortgage, the appropriate entry from the Land Registry should be provided, and the mortgage payments should appear in the bank statements.

also

overcrowding .. http://www.peterborough.gov.uk/housing/other_housing_issues/overcrowding.aspx

questions they will ask, i'm sure they will ask about what savings she has, what family she has in the phils..

Aingeall
3rd June 2011, 18:13
I sent the certified copy of the Conveyance & Title Deed. My mortgaged is directly debited from the bank statements I forwarded in the Embassy when my mum lodged in the application on the 27th April. Guess they didn't give me enough time to gather all the additional requirements they are requesting before scheduling an interview on Tuesday. You probably know I can't just get them in a snap of a finger. They phoned her yesterday & advised her to get the originals on her interview date. Even DHL courier couldn't guarantee it'll be there in time. DHL told me it'll be 3 working days. As you know I had to go to my Solicitor & Inland Revenue to get plead today, but I failed to get the paperworks. I emailed my mum & told her to show them the Child Benefit & Child Tax Credit that goes into my account, which are clearly written in my bank statements every 4wks.
Now, I don't know if she'll be allowed to enter the interview room without these documents...her interview time is 9:15am.

Aingeall
3rd June 2011, 18:33
I'll check the link on overcrowding. The only ones living in our home is my immediate family. My husband & three kids. It's a 3 bedroom end terrace apartment w/ extension as sun lounge.
My mom & I have a joint account in the Philippines. It's the money I sent from 2005. I even sent the transactions of money I've sent from the bank here to the Philippines from then. It's not a lot now...maybe around P200K. Would that be enough? But I also have £600 on my UK current account after debits.
My sister here in UK sends money now to my mom that she's earning more. Will she tell the embassy about that? Or will she just say she's solely dependent on me.
My mum has no other immediate family back home, as all her sisters passed away years ago. But she has some nieces & nephews in the province. Worst is some of them borrow money from her without paying because they know all her daughters are already here in UK. And since they know my mum's soft spot, they can get what they expect. That's one of the reason I want to bring her here...so that they won't bother her anymore coz she's getting stressed out with her nieces/nephews family financial problem.
Otherwise, my mum is physically healthy. She just wants to be with me & my sister, and to spend more time with her grandkids. And I want her to travel Europe without problem. I've always dreamed of her traveling the world on my cost just to repay her of loving us. I might be getting emotional, but that's just what I want for her.

joebloggs
3rd June 2011, 19:14
what sex are you kids and what ages are they ?

you might have a problem with overcrowding, that's why you need an independent assessment report done.but its not just the number of bed rooms that counts, other rooms can be used to if they are over a certain size.

you really don't want your mom to have much in the way of savings, as they can say she doesn't have to be dependent on you if she has alot, and if she has much in savings or pension etc, the embassy could say she could have a reasonable standard of living in the phils with that money.

you really need the documents they asked for :cwm24:

joebloggs
3rd June 2011, 19:17
i understand about your reasons for wanting to bring your mom here :cwm24:

and i wish you good luck :rolleyes:

Aingeall
3rd June 2011, 19:56
I'll probably just wait and see. Thanks for the advises you've given me. :)

Aingeall
3rd June 2011, 20:02
I've got two girls & 1 boy. Eldest girl is 13, the boy is 11 and the youngest girl is 4. We have three bedrooms, 1 living room, kitchen & the sun lounge.
I thought the joint account of me & my mom in the Philippines would be the evidence of my support for her. That's where most of my savings go you see.:NoNo:

joebloggs
4th June 2011, 07:23
Guidance on overcrowding
The Housing Act 1985 contains statutory definitions of overcrowding in "dwelling houses". Dwelling houses covers both privately owned houses and those owned by local authorities. A house is overcrowded if 2 persons of 10 years old or more of opposite sexes (other than husband and wife) have to sleep in the same room, or if the number sleeping in the house exceeds that permitted in the Act.

The Act specifies the numbers permitted for a given number of rooms or given floor area. For our purposes we adopt the room number yardstick. Account is only taken of rooms with a floor area larger that 50 sq feet and rooms of a type used either as a living-room or bedroom; kitchens or bathrooms etc are not included.

Using the above noted yardstick, the following table provides guidance as to the acceptable (for our purposes) number of persons occupying a house with a stated number of rooms:

NO OF ROOMS ..... PERMITTED NO OF PERSONS
.......... 1 ................................. 2
.......... 2 ................................. 3
.......... 3 ................................. 5
.......... 4 ................................. 7.5
.......... 5 ............................... 10

with an additional 2 persons for each room in excess of 5.

A child under the age of one does not count as a person. A child aged 1 - 10 years will count as only half a person.

what sizes are the bedrooms, single/double ?.

possible your mother could share the same room as your daughter if its a double, your son have a single room and your 4 yr old shares with you ?, thou you could maybe use your living room - not really ideal for someone to sleep in thou, but the room can be included, possibly also your sun lounge,

Aingeall
4th June 2011, 10:22
Thank you so much Sir Joebloggs! I hope I can get away with the overcrowding issue. The master's bedroom is quite big and my youngest daughter actually sleeps with us on her crib (it's up to 4yrs old crib), the 2nd room is mid-sized with a double bed, but can accommodate 2 single beds for my eldest daughter and supposedly for my mum. The smallest one is used by my son. It has a bunk bed, the top one is not used...will I tell the Embassy of the house setup? Can I take pictures & email it to my mom? As you say, can I even just say she'll sleep in the living room with a sofa bed? I still haven't received the email from my solicitor re Independent Accommodation Report...I'm running out of time coz it's weekend. If I ask for an assessment for overcrowding, do I have to book a date?:doh

joebloggs
4th June 2011, 16:45
yes, i would explain where everyone sleeps and take pictures of the rooms, but it would have also been better if you had the independent report, but like you've said you've no time now..

but i think they should not say the house is over crowded if you get pictures of the rooms and size and where everyone sleeps but without the report i still hope not.

maybe you could send a list of options you have.

you and your husband in 1 room with your youngest
your older daughter in the 'double bedroom' with your mom sharing 2 * single beds
your son in the single room

another one of the options is.

you and your husband in 1 bedroom
the bunkbed in the other 'double bedroom' with both your daughters sharing the bunkbeds and your mom in the single bed.
and your son in a single bed in the single bedroom. - bit crowded with 3 people in one room thou.

or as you've said your mom could sleep in the living room

Aingeall
7th June 2011, 03:51
Interview finally over, but still waiting for the result. No hint was given if mum got a visa or not. Told her she'll receive it from VFS by post. No question of overcrowding was asked. They asked my mom of my dad's work before he retired, and how he supported us. How they were able to put me in an exclusive school for girls and managed my college degree. Asked about his job, how much he was earning. They also asked her how many brothers & sisters she has plus nieces & nephews. So she answered them as honest as she could. They've collected all the emails and documents I've forwarded.
Now, the pain of waiting....not a hint whether she's refused or not, but I am thinking it might be coz normally they would tell you on the spot if you're approved or not.

joebloggs
7th June 2011, 06:14
the embassy use to carry out more interviews(in the old days my wife and later even my stepson had an interview :yikes:), but yes in many cases they would tell you on the spot, but not always, and i don't think they would in your case anyway, they would have to go back and look at the evidence your mom took and the answers she gave. so don't give up yet :rolleyes:

good luck thou :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Aingeall
10th June 2011, 15:00
:doh 3days after mum's interview at the British Embassy...still waiting for the result. I checked the VFS tracking...it still says "your application has been forwarded to the British High Commission." Not an update of what's going on. Do they still do more background checks after the interview? It's really making more nervous the longer it takes for them to make a decision....hmmm

joebloggs
10th June 2011, 20:45
:cwm24: its like waiting at the dentist :cwm3:
i hope its good news for you :rolleyes:

Terpe
11th June 2011, 20:04
Aingeall
I'm not sure I can wait any longer either. What's the outcome?
God Bless

Aingeall
11th June 2011, 21:22
Hi Terpe! I still haven't got a feedback from the Embassy since my mum's interview. I really don't know what's taking it so long...they have no idea how agonising it is to wait. Whatever the outcome is, I'll post it here to give idea to some willing to apply an Elderly Dependent Visa. :doh

joebloggs
12th June 2011, 02:01
they might not have looked at her visa app yet, the interview could have been to gather some information and evidence, i hope I'm wrong and you find out soon thou :cwm24:

suspense is getting to us all :yikes:

:D

Rosie1958
12th June 2011, 11:37
Best of luck to you and your mum, Aingeall, I sincerely hope that she is granted the elderly dependent visa. You are a good daughter :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Aingeall
13th June 2011, 17:42
Thank you so much, Rosie1958! I'm really touched with your comment. I'm sure every daughter would want to give their mum the best.
My mum hasn't travelled anywhere yet because she sacrificed her entire life rearing me & my sister. We didn't grow up to
be rich like anyone else. She saved all the money she had for our education until we both finished Uni.
Honestly, I am going to be very disappointed if visa is not granted, as there's no other way I can get her here. I just want to see her more often, and bring her on our holidays. That's the least I can do for her.
I so far, no word yet from the Embassy.

joebloggs
13th June 2011, 18:08
there is always a visit visa, she could be with you for 6 months of the year and if not successful this time, at least you have a better idea of the visa app process next time..

but dont give up :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Aingeall
13th June 2011, 22:05
Sir Joebloggs, I'll definitely consider that option if she's refused this time. I'll keep my faith. :)

joebloggs
14th June 2011, 11:05
there probably is another way, but probably not pratical, but you never know, it might be possible :rolleyes:

when your a british citizen, go back and live with your mom for a year, then go and live and work in southern ireland or any other Non British EU country, , after a few months apply for a family permit for your mom, it could be really difficult for them to refuse, then stay there for a few months, then head back north and apply for a family permit for your mom to join you..

Aingeall
14th June 2011, 13:17
Sir Joebloggs, you're giving me a brilliant idea...just in case she's refused. At least I don't have to pay for a family permit gor her. But, do I have to go home to Philippines & stay there for a year? Coz if I can do without I'll just get work in Dublin, anyway I have Nursing Registration in Ireland. Uhm...do I need to rent a house there? I'm only two hours drive from Dublin. Maybe I could just ask one of my friends there if I could use their address in Dublin for my correspondence.
I'll keep this in mind, Sir Joebloggs. I'm sure it'll be of help if ever. Many thanks! :Jump:

Rosie1958
14th June 2011, 21:14
Thank you so much, Rosie1958! I'm really touched with your comment. I'm sure every daughter would want to give their mum the best.
My mum hasn't travelled anywhere yet because she sacrificed her entire life rearing me & my sister. We didn't grow up to
be rich like anyone else. She saved all the money she had for our education until we both finished Uni.
Honestly, I am going to be very disappointed if visa is not granted, as there's no other way I can get her here. I just want to see her more often, and bring her on our holidays. That's the least I can do for her.
I so far, no word yet from the Embassy.

Hi Aingeall :Wave: - We both have something in common with our strong family values and appreciation of our parent(s). Sadly, I have now lost both of mine but there is absolutely nothing that I wouldn’t have done for either whilst they were still alive; I was always and still am very appreciative of everything they gave and taught me. Unfortunately, this sentiment is not echoed by everyone in the world for reasons known unto them but I am glad that I am not one of them.

Great Mums and Dads are special people and should be treated as such. You are clearly a giver which is a lovely characteristic to have and no doubt one learnt from your Mum. I am sure your Mum appreciates everything that you are trying to do for her too. Fingers crossed that the application will be successful soon! :)

Aingeall
23rd June 2011, 09:31
:rolleyes: still waiting for a decision. I wonder what's taking it so long.:Erm:

Terpe
23rd June 2011, 10:16
Hang on in there Aingeall

joebloggs
23rd June 2011, 10:54
:rolleyes: still waiting for a decision. I wonder what's taking it so long.:Erm:

becuase its a settlement visa and not a student or visit visa.. :D

Aingeall
13th July 2011, 23:11
Just an update on my Mum's Visa Application.
This is the email I received from FCO (Is this British Embassy Manila?)

"Your VISA will be despatched shortly. Passports can normally be collected from the Visa Application Centre after 3 days. Applicants in Australia and New Zealand should allow 3 days before tracking their documents via the local post. UKBA-Manila Visa Hub

This is an automated message. Please do not respond to this email address as incoming mail is not answered."

Does this really mean a VISA has been given to her? I have mixed emotions, as when I checked VFS site & tracked her application, it hasn't been updated yet. Is there a possibility it might be a refusal letter?

Terpe
14th July 2011, 11:47
Aingeall,
I don't want to raise your hopes too high, as I can't be 100% sure, but..... if it really does state:-
"Your visa will be despatched shortly............."

Then in my mind it's 99% sure to be a VISA that is on it's way :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Don't you agree?

Aingeall
14th July 2011, 22:24
:) Thanks for an uplifting remark Terpe! I too am hoping it is a visa granted. I don't want to get too excited until my mum confirms the same.
I checked the Tracking System of VFS Manila today. Thankfully the message has been updated. It says "Your documents are ready for collection." No mention about a visa.

jimbo23232
14th July 2011, 22:37
We got the same message, visa delivered this morning, I know exactly how you feel!!! :)

The VFS tracking doesnt give much detail even after approval - but I'd stop worrying if I were you :)

Aingeall
14th July 2011, 22:43
:) Thanks for the reassurance Jimbo23232. Highly appreciated.

joebloggs
15th July 2011, 06:20
lets hope its good news :rolleyes:

Aingeall
15th July 2011, 17:39
:) Elderly Dependent Visa Approved!!!
My mum finally got her passport with her Settlement Visa today. I'm over the moon.
Thanks to this forum & to everyone who found time to give me some advise & reassurance. You have given me courage & positive outlook on this application.

Terpe
15th July 2011, 17:49
:Jump::Jump::Jump: Greeeeeeat news!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Well done to all.
I'm really so very pleased for you all Aingeall. What a happy time ahead.

God is good.:)

Arthur Little
15th July 2011, 17:59
The VFS tracking doesnt give much detail even after approval - but I'd stop worrying if I were you :)

You're right, it doesn't give much away :NoNo: ... but at least the word "visa" IS mentioned :rolleyes: - which is a vast improvement on how the old-standard message read when my wife applied for her spousal visa in 2009! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
15th July 2011, 20:42
My mum finally got her passport with her Settlement Visa today. I'm over the moon.
Thanks to this forum & to everyone who found time to give me some advise & reassurance. You have given me courage & positive outlook on this application.

:yikes::xxgrinning--00xx3::Jump::Hellooo:

Rosie1958
17th July 2011, 23:10

Wow, I am so pleased for you all, many congratulations and well done Aingeall !!!!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3::D

Aingeall
22nd July 2011, 09:31
:Jump: Thank you so much everyone!!! My mum was very emotional & tearful when she got her passport. God is really good.
I didn't know she has to go to CFO for stamping, only the agency advised her to go there today.
She'll be flying on tuesday 26/07/11 on her own. I hope she'll manage, as I'll only see her when she arrives here in Belfast.
Again, thanks to this forum, especially to Sir joebloggs, Rosie1958, Terpe, Arthur Little & jimbo 23232. :Wave:

Terpe
22nd July 2011, 09:51
:Jump: Thank you so much everyone!!! My mum was very emotional & tearful when she got her passport. God is really good.
I didn't know she has to go to CFO for stamping, only the agency advised her to go there today.
She'll be flying on tuesday 26/07/11 on her own. I hope she'll manage, as I'll only see her when she arrives here in Belfast.
Again, thanks to this forum, especially to Sir joebloggs, Rosie1958, Terpe, Arthur Little & jimbo 23232. :Wave:

Aingeall, if you're at all worried about your mum you could always contact the airline for help and assistance. Usually they will be very helpful indeed and with no extra cost.
This can be helpful with transit and plane changes etc.
Sometimes an airline might try to secure payment, but normally it's quite low cost.

Food for thought anyway. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
22nd July 2011, 10:56

i'm happy for you and your mom Aingeall :Jump: you did well getting the visa :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Aingeall
22nd July 2011, 10:57
Thanks Terpe! I tried to call the airline company, but the office is already closed in Manila. I'll try it again on Monday before she leaves for the airport, as her flight is Tuesday midnight. I actually emailed a letter in attention of the airline reception desk, which my mum will give when she checks-in explaining that my mum will be travelling alone for the first time, and that she would require assistance with her connecting flight to London Heathrow. I also stated in my letter that her hold luggage will be checked through to Belfast, so that my mum doesn't need to collect it in London Heathrow airport. I hope they'll give consideration to my mum, as I'm worried if she might miss her connecting flight. If only I have enough money to get home & travel with her...that I'll do.
I even have to choose the airline she has to travel with which specifically lands in Terminal 1 of LHR, as the flight to Belfast which is BMI is also on same terminal building & she doesn't have to get the airport bus just to get to the connecting flight. It's not cost effective, but it'll be easier for her, as time frame between two flights is on 2hrs.
I appreciate your advise...hope everything will go smoothly.:)

Aingeall
22nd July 2011, 11:03
i'm happy for you and your mom Aingeall :Jump: you did well getting the visa :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:)Thanks Sir joebloggs!!! T'was an answered prayer...God is really good.

joebloggs
22nd July 2011, 13:07
i hope your mom likes it here :rolleyes: my wife would rather be here in the uk than the phils, she likes the weather here :crazy::Cuckoo:

Aingeall
22nd July 2011, 13:23
Sir joebloggs, I actually doubt she'll be here during the winter season. :omg:
She said she'll stay in Malaga where her cousin who is a retired citizen is during winter time & be back here in Spring.:NoNo: