PDA

View Full Version : Smuggled Black Coral seized in Zambo.

Tawi2
5th June 2011, 12:51
Tons of smuggled black corals, shells seized in Zambo City
05-Jun-11, 3:46 PM

MANILA, Philippines -- Tons of smuggled black corals and shells -- said to fit around 10 20-foot container vans -- were seized in a raid by authorities in Zamboanga City Saturday night, the city police chief said Sunday.

Senior Superintendent Edwin de Ocampo said the smuggled black corals were seized in a warehouse at Barangay San Roque owned by a certain Olivia Lee, a Filipino-Chinese businesswoman. Authorities from the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources and local police swooped down on the warehouse at around 9 p.m. following information received that smuggled black corals from Tawi-Tawi and Basilan were being stored there.

"When we arrived in the area, the black corals were already outside the warehouse. They must have sensed that we were coming and they were planning to move them to another place," de Ocampo told reporters.

Some personnel from the warehouse were also invited for questioning.

Zamboanga City served as a "buying station" of the smuggled black corals and shells, de Ocampo said.

"Pero sa Tawi-tawi at Basilan nakukuha ang mga yan (But those were taken from Tawi-tawi and Basilan). They sell it per kilo and depending on the size," he added.

BFAR and local authorities have stepped up their information campaign at the grassroots level to inform the public that buying black corals is illegal.

Experts have earlier said the extent of the damage of coral reefs off the Philippine islands was five times the size of Metro Manila.
http://www.interaksyon.com/article/4950/tons-of-smuggled-black-corals-shells-seized-in-zambo-city

Terpe
5th June 2011, 17:19
I'm sure everyone knows where and to whom the big money is going.:cwm23:

Tawi2
5th June 2011, 18:12
I'm sure everyone knows where and to whom the big money is going.
It certainly wont be the likes of the badjao who collect corals,shells,turtle shells etc in sulu & Jolo,they are paid a pittance.I met a girl once in Cebu,she has several craftsmen working from a small shed,it was a genuine cottage industry but she was travelling down to Zambo to buy corals and mother of pearl for her workers to carve and make decorative objects like the shell lampshades sold in many pinoy shops.The sea in Pinas is being raped,but were I in a pinoy fishermans tsinilas I would probably be doing exactly the same rather than let my kids starve.