PDA

View Full Version : mobile phone package

tboy555
12th June 2011, 10:25
Wondering if anyone has any advice on which mobile phone package would be best for my fiancee when she arrives - I expect she will initially at least be calling and texting back home rather a lot. Especially texting. any ideas on how to do this cheaply?

stevewool
12th June 2011, 10:33
so much choice there , just dont rush into the first deal, get the best phone for the price and use another service for calling the phils, we use rebtel, it users the spare free minutes and it works for us, as long as your free minutes can call the 020 numbers, good luck

Steve.r
12th June 2011, 10:40
I have a Smart roaming sim card from Phils (bought as part of a pack of 3) and keep it in my cheapo basic nokia phone, it costs my wife 1 peso to sms me. I then use an Orange Camel PAYG sim which I then can call her back and chat. I still use my contract Orange phone to sms her back, which is probably not such a good way to do it, but I still do anyway.
Alternatively, get her a smart phone with yahoo messenger on it and she can text talk for free on the internet. But like Steve says, there are so many ways that we all do it, take your pick. :)

Terpe
12th June 2011, 11:55
My wife has a cheapo phone fitted with Labara sim PAYG
She seems happy with it.
Usually you can get some good Lebara promo's at the summer fiestas

Graham H
22nd June 2011, 11:00
I also use Labara sim. It costs about 15p per minuite to call Phils. I got the sim card from the local pound shop. You can also get the sim from Fones 4 you.

sars_notd_virus
22nd June 2011, 16:03
my husband got me a fone which he pays on contract with 3mobile before i arrived here,...but still it cost us a lot to call the PH ,...now i'm using skype or lebara
check this links:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/prices/payg-rates/?currency=GBP#cc=PH
http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk/prepay/rates

Englishman2010
22nd June 2011, 19:47
If you search the net there are lots of different providers who charge between 7p to 10 p per minute to call a Phil mobile from a Uk mobile. Usually you have to buy say £3 or £5 credit in advance by SMS, and you are sent a PINi no which you have to use when you dial. You call a London number or 0845 number input your pin when requested and then input the international number and you get connected.
As Steve R said, it's easier if you get her a smart phone with a web usage package, then she can use YM,or any of the chat services on her phone. If she uses a service like E-Buddy or Nimbuzz she can create one account and log into all the chat services at once rather than logging into each one separately