PDA

View Full Version : Parcel

Moy
1st July 2011, 13:30
whats the safest company to use in sending parcel in the Philippines and will it guarantee that it will arrive safely:D the item is a laptop( apple ibook g3) and im bit worry in case it gets wrong :NoNo::cwm3: or :bigcry:damage
any advice:Wave:

Terpe
1st July 2011, 13:49
Personally I use DHL for courrier delivery.
I have used DHL many times and never once had the slightest issue.
It's not cheap but it's safe, secure and quick, and for me very convenient as it's just a 15 minutes away from my home

You may want to check with whoever you finally choose that they actually take a laptop as not everyone will accept computers.

If you thinking of sending a balikbayan box anytime soon, maybe just put in that.

C'mon moy, you should already know the risks of sending expensive items :D

Take a look here at interparcel.com (http://www.interparcel.com) for good idea on cost and service comparison.

grahamw48
1st July 2011, 14:04
DHL for me.

Even used them for sending a passport on one occasion.

Moy
1st July 2011, 14:04
Personally I use DHL for courrier delivery.
I have used DHL many times and never once had the slightest issue.
It's not cheap but it's safe, secure and quick, and for me very convenient as it's just a 15 minutes away from my home

You may want to check with whoever you finally choose that they actually take a laptop as not everyone will accept computers.

If you thinking of sending a balikbayan box anytime soon, maybe just put in that.

C'mon moy, you should already know the risks of sending expensive items :D

Take a look here at interparcel.com (http://www.interparcel.com) for good idea on cost and service comparison.

thank you for the inf Terpe:xxgrinning--00xx3: but i dont have any bit of idea of sending items like that:)is expensive:) i send some parcel like clothing anf chocolate but not with something as you said expensive:yikes::D
btw ty for the replied:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
1st July 2011, 14:07
DHL for me.

Even used them for sending a passport on one occasion.

thanks grahamw48 for the reply:)

grahamw48
1st July 2011, 14:19
Walang anuman. :)

Dedworth
1st July 2011, 14:34
Be wary of any delivery, handling, duty charges DHL might be sticking on when it gets there. SouthEastBoy has posted about this practice

grahamw48
1st July 2011, 15:03
They tried that on me once, so after taking the parcel off their hands I politely told them to :censored: off. :)

Moy
1st July 2011, 15:39
Be wary of any delivery, handling, duty charges DHL might be sticking on when it gets there. SouthEastBoy has posted about this practice

:yikes:what do you mean??:) a payment for more when it arrives??:rolleyes:

Dedworth
1st July 2011, 15:58
:yikes:what do you mean??:) a payment for more when it arrives??:rolleyes:

Make sure you are sitting down then read

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/20825-Urgent-help!-Has-anyone-sent-any-parcels-by-courier/page2?highlight=

In particular posts 40 and 42 :yikes:

Moy
1st July 2011, 17:09
Make sure you are sitting down then read

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/20825-Urgent-help!-Has-anyone-sent-any-parcels-by-courier/page2?highlight=

In particular posts 40 and 42 :yikes:

aha Thank you Dedworth:)

briancol
26th July 2011, 10:55
can someone tell me the best method to post my A4 size yahoo chat/email print-outs to the Phills please? what kind of packaging could i use.theres a lot of them. about an inch & a half to two inches think. also can royal mail/phills mail be trusted with them,coz once i post them theres no copies. thanks.

grahamw48
26th July 2011, 11:34
Why no copies ? :Erm:

I wouldn't dare part with such important records without some sort of copies.

Moy
26th July 2011, 11:36
FED EX is faster and very reliable..will cost a bit but i can assure it will arrive in time and safely..without you worrying..the husband:) did the same a year ago when we are sorting my visa :):Jump:

briancol
26th July 2011, 15:21
Why no copies ? :Erm:

I wouldn't dare part with such important records without some sort of copies.
Coz after i print thm i delete thm.and theres so many i cant copy thm all again.

briancol
26th July 2011, 15:22
FED EX is faster and very reliable..will cost a bit but i can assure it will arrive in time and safely..without you worrying..the husband:) did the same a year ago when we are sorting my visa :):Jump:
fedEx,im not sure we have fedEx in the UK.

Moy
26th July 2011, 15:54
fedEx,im not sure we have fedEx in the UK.

http://fedex.com/gb/
http://fedex.com/ukservices/

:D

briancol
26th July 2011, 16:13
thanks Moy.

Maria B
26th July 2011, 20:17
whats the safest company to use in sending parcel in the Philippines and will it guarantee that it will arrive safely:D the item is a laptop( apple ibook g3) and im bit worry in case it gets wrong :NoNo::cwm3: or :bigcry:damage
any advice:Wave:

Hiya Moy,
I used UPS for 5 times but I stopped as it was costly & another charge when the box arrives in Cebu. BUT husband, if it's important documents/ paper, still we use UPS.
With my group of friends, we have a Pinoy friend who does business for LBC & filipino channel gadget (birmingham & wolverhampton). If u can find some Pinoy community there they can help u. With this LBC pinoy, he charge £50 for the empty box to deliver. It's a big balikbayan box (big one). When it's ready, he will pick it up & pay for another £50. It arrives Cebu for 6weeks - 8 weeks. Mostly my friends are sending it to Mindanao w/c is about 2 months. I haven't tried it but we meet occassionally during pinoy bday parties. I want to try LBC through website http://www.lbcexpress.com/contents/UK/balikbayanboxguidelines.aspx before but my Pinay frenz said it's a bit expensive & takes quiet a long time. But hope u can find one that suits u.

Moy
26th July 2011, 21:11
aha:) thanks for that inf:xxgrinning--00xx3: MariaB:Jump:

Maria B
26th July 2011, 21:22
aha:) thanks for that inf:xxgrinning--00xx3: MariaB:Jump:

anytime hon! :Wave:

Alona
26th July 2011, 21:27
hello i am new in this site...May i ask where i can find the balikbayan office/shop here in coventry?

Maria B
26th July 2011, 21:53
hello i am new in this site...May i ask where i can find the balikbayan office/shop here in coventry?

:Hellooo:Hiya Alona,

:welcomex:to the friendly forum.
U may try & check it out thru http://www.facebook.com/pages/British-and-Filipino-Community-in-United-Kingdom/160464520667795#!/pages/British-and-Filipino-Community-in-United-Kingdom/160464520667795
Mostly, the only way u can find answers is from Pinoy connections.
Good luck!
:Wave:

Maria B
26th July 2011, 22:05
British & Filipino community in West Midlands....

http://bafcom.co.uk/#

South-east boy
27th July 2011, 10:51

Sometimes you might find that the local Filipino grocery store has Balikbayan pick-ups from there.

Alona
27th July 2011, 13:18
thanks for the info guys!how can i post my question here?
please help me where can i find filipino here in coventry.....

Dedworth
27th July 2011, 13:23
thanks for the info guys!how can i post my question here?
please help me where can i find filipino here in coventry.....

If you've got time on your hands you could always loiter outside Catholic Churches, Hospitals and Care Homes :D Seriously I'd have thought the link in Post 24 above would be a good starting point - good luck

grahamw48
27th July 2011, 15:40
Just type Filipino Coventry into google search....simple. :)

lastlid
25th August 2011, 21:13
Hi

Has anybody tried TNT for sending parcels to Phils? Either visa application material or anything to loved ones. TNT are pretty big and have depots in Manila.

Thanks

grahamw48
25th August 2011, 21:19
I've used DHL (wife's passport) and UPS without any problems.

I'm sure someone will have other suggestions if you hang about. :)

Terpe
25th August 2011, 22:32
I've only ever used DHL for key documents etc. Never once had any issues at all.
To be honest I would guess TNT to be similar.
Unfortunately I don't even know anyone who used them...:Erm:

KeithD
25th August 2011, 23:50
DHL :xxgrinning--00xx3: .... best prices as well :xxgrinning--00xx3: ..... that reminds... need to check my package :cwm24: .... it's in Belgium :cwm24::cwm24:

grahamw48
26th August 2011, 00:22
'Best prices'....that'll be why I used them. :icon_lol:

Terpe
26th August 2011, 09:09
DHL have 'stations' in our local Staples and also now in Homebase :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
28th August 2011, 20:39
Well, for the benefit of others that are looking for a carrier for their parcel, TNT were fine. I didnt have a lot of choice for one reason or another, but it took just 3 days in the end and could have been 2 if it wasnt for an error that was largely of our making on the zip code.

But my reservation on them was that once the error was identified it took a fair few hours to rectify in the TNT system, which was dissapointing. And it took a good number of phone calls by me to both the UK and Manila to ensure that delivery went ahead ok.

No surcharge on arrival, I am pleased to say.

Moy
28th August 2011, 21:23
Well, for the benefit of others that are looking for a carrier for their parcel, TNT were fine. I didnt have a lot of choice for one reason or another, but it took just 3 days in the end and could have been 2 if it wasnt for an error that was largely of our making on the zip code.

But my reservation on them was that once the error was identified it took a fair few hours to rectify in the TNT system, which was dissapointing. And it took a good number of phone calls by me to both the UK and Manila to ensure that delivery went ahead ok.

so laptop is safe and free of charge to be send over the Philippines?:rolleyes::D

Terpe
28th August 2011, 22:18
so laptop is safe and free of charge to be send over the Philippines?:rolleyes::D

Check with the courrier.

Moy
28th August 2011, 22:32
:):xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks terpe

lastlid
29th August 2011, 07:18

I guess there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee with any carrier. But in the case of a laptop it would be a good idea to check on insurance. There will be tiers of insurance available for sending goods of higher monetary value.

raynaputi
29th August 2011, 20:19

I think you would need to declare the value for such packages. It will still pass thru Philippine Customs and they would question it. Plus declaring it's value would be an advantage just in case the shipping company lose it while in transit.

Moy
31st August 2011, 15:25
thanks for the inf rayna:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
31st August 2011, 16:58

For brand spanking new why not just send money to the person there and let them buy it themselves at a store.
It's quite possibly cheaper in the longer term that way, with a plus point that it's likely to be covered under some warranty.

If you really must send new, then just be aware that the Bureau of Customs are always involved.
Now you become involved in the issue of what are you going to put as the declared value. Don't forget that Customs will determine what duties and taxes are applicable and this is usually based on the Waybill and Customs paperwork, specifically the contents, declared value and weight.
Oh and don't forget that the receiver is responsible for paying any duties and taxes that may apply. Apart from financials think about all the hassles involved.

To avoid the above issues you could always list the item as used and just declare some nominal low value.
Just be aware that such shipments would come under various international treaties that govern and limit the courier's liability for loss, damage or delay etc. to your shipment to something like £18 per kilo.

Sometimes it's possible to take out some special 'insurance' on the shipment where you can increase the limit of liability to anything up to a maximum of around £300.
You'd really need to check out the T&C's of the chosen courier. Of course you'd need to increase the valuation, so back to square one really.

Most couriers specifically limit laptops to only 1 per package.
Each package may only contain 1 lithium battery and this must be contained within the laptop.
Probably also be advisable to protect any data by encryption and/or passwords.

I reckon that despite the usual risks, the balikbayan box looks an attractive option

Just my 2 centavos

South-east boy
1st September 2011, 12:16

That was very lucky! There were charges of £27 the last time and £60 odd the time before when I've sent things through DHL before! What with the couriers costs added to the charges, they come to a large proportion of the value of the items sent!

Terpe
1st September 2011, 13:00
That was very lucky! There were charges of £27 the last time and £60 odd the time before when I've sent things through DHL before! What with the couriers costs added to the charges, they come to a large proportion of the value of the items sent!

It's a fair point. Probably depends on what is sent. (amongst other things!!)
I haven't had any additional charges at all for documents.

Must say those were quite heavy charges SEB, I'd also be miffed.

South-east boy
1st September 2011, 13:09
It's a fair point. Probably depends on what is sent. (amongst other things!!)
I haven't had any additional charges at all for documents.

Must say those were quite heavy charges SEB, I'd also be miffed.

With the last one Viva was ok about paying it (the first one was to somone else I was in contact with at the time and I paid that), but it makes you feel bad when your lady has to pay to receive the gifts that you sent her. For Christmas this time, I'm sendin a balikbayan box!

Moy
1st September 2011, 13:27
For brand spanking new why not just send money to the person there and let them buy it themselves at a store.
It's quite possibly cheaper in the longer term that way, with a plus point that it's likely to be covered under some warranty.

If you really must send new, then just be aware that the Bureau of Customs are always involved.
Now you become involved in the issue of what are you going to put as the declared value. Don't forget that Customs will determine what duties and taxes are applicable and this is usually based on the Waybill and Customs paperwork, specifically the contents, declared value and weight.
Oh and don't forget that the receiver is responsible for paying any duties and taxes that may apply. Apart from financials think about all the hassles involved.

To avoid the above issues you could always list the item as used and just declare some nominal low value.
Just be aware that such shipments would come under various international treaties that govern and limit the courier's liability for loss, damage or delay etc. to your shipment to something like £18 per kilo.

Sometimes it's possible to take out some special 'insurance' on the shipment where you can increase the limit of liability to anything up to a maximum of around £300.
You'd really need to check out the T&C's of the chosen courier. Of course you'd need to increase the valuation, so back to square one really.

Most couriers specifically limit laptops to only 1 per package.
Each package may only contain 1 lithium battery and this must be contained within the laptop.
Probably also be advisable to protect any data by encryption and/or passwords.

I reckon that despite the usual risks, the balikbayan box looks an attractive option

Just my 2 centavos

thanks for the inf terpe..:xxgrinning--00xx3: the said laptop is been purchase through e-bay:D and it costs us about 45 pounds:rolleyes: its brand is a "12 inch" apple ibook(second hand) :icon_lol: so i assume we declare this as it is and should be cheap to assist if the tax come to it:cwm24: i hope lolz:angry:
my brother was base on cebu and am planning it to send via FED EX..not sure the cost of it..anyone has the experience of sending same stuff to the PH:Wave:

Terpe
1st September 2011, 15:13
With the last one Viva was ok about paying it (the first one was to somone else I was in contact with at the time and I paid that), but it makes you feel bad when your lady has to pay to receive the gifts that you sent her. For Christmas this time, I'm sendin a balikbayan box!

Nice idea. Fill every cubic inch (or is cubic mm)

Everyone loves finding little treasues in a Balikbayan box :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
1st September 2011, 15:16
....not sure the cost of it..anyone has the experiece of sending same stuff to the PH:Wave:

You'd be looking at something between £35-£45

lastlid
1st September 2011, 15:17
Hi
I have sent and received a lot of parcels from and to overseas destinations over recent years through ebay itself. Occasionally I have had to pay duty on goods arriving here in the UK and occasionally duty has had to be paid on goods arriving overseas. Even on second hand goods.

It is possible that the surcharges folk are referring to are duty / taxes on imported items. Which probably wouldn't apply to documentation.

I once imported a plate into Britain, from America, that was made in Britain 60 years ago and exported to America and still had to pay duty on it! Amazing.....

Moy
1st September 2011, 15:19
You'd be looking at something between £35-£45

oh thanks again terpe for the reply:xxgrinning--00xx3:..all this time we thought it will cost us a hundred pound(100):yikes::rolleyes: just to send to PH..thats why weve been so keen to send this to the Philippines..if i only knew:bigcry::D
btw how many days you reckon that parcel will arrive in Philippines..sorry too may question just curious :)

Bluebirdjones
6th September 2011, 16:10
Just as an update to this thread, and to give people a time schedule if they're interested.....

.... our LBC box was collected from us on 7th July, and arrived in Cotabato yesterday (5th Sept).

Terpe
6th September 2011, 16:19
Just as an update to this thread, and to give people a time schedule if they're interested.....

.... our LBC box was collected from us on 7th July, and arrived in Cotabato yesterday (5th Sept).

That seems very good for delivery to Cotabato.

Fastest we've ever had to Manila was 5 weeks, usually it's 6-8 weeks.
Going to our house in Davao the fastest delivery was 8 weeks

Moy
6th September 2011, 17:03
Going to our house in Davao the fastest delivery was 8 weeks

oh wow..where in davao do you live ?:)terpe:D we might be neighbor before