PDA

View Full Version : A Filipina Homecoming

grahamw48
3rd July 2011, 00:52
My step-daughter is coming home on Monday, after spending a year away in New York as a fashion house intern. :Jump:

I've brought her up since she was around 2 years old, now she's 22, and returning to Uni' here.

Sent me a lovely picture too:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3521/lizlastweekinnyc.jpg

stevewool
3rd July 2011, 07:43
well done graham, step daughter, daughter they are they same, you are still her dad:)

mickcant
3rd July 2011, 07:47
From the good way you speak of her, you must be looking forward to seeing her.
Mick:xxgrinning--00xx3:

alanmf1
3rd July 2011, 07:57
Enjoy:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Peanutz
3rd July 2011, 08:19
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Beautiful daughter!

Moy
3rd July 2011, 09:51
being a good step-Dad:) is not only possible but can be one of the most rewarding things you can do as a person. Raising and caring for someone else's child is no easy task - but it can be done, with insight and perseverance!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
3rd July 2011, 10:04
I bet you can't wait, have a great time. I guess it doesn't matter what age your kids are, you always look forward to seeing them.

grahamw48
3rd July 2011, 10:24
Morning all....out of bed now. :cwm3:

Thanks for the nice words.:)

I would agree it IS difficult to come to terms with bringing up another person's child (or 2 children in my case...1 boy and one girl).

For me it involved a lot of soul-searching early on in the relationship with the ex, particularly as I'd had no kids of my own at that point, nor had I been married, so, ....instant family. :cwm24:

Anyway, the decision was made and I brought them all to the UK.

By this time we already had a son of our own...the boy who lives with me now.(Older two both at Uni').

As the years went by I became more of a 'proper' father to them, and we've had a lot of fun and good times along the way. They have also grown up into clever and well-rounded people.

However, for any man considering taking this step I would caution you to think very carefully about whether you'd really have the strength of mind to cope over many years.

Young kids are vulnerable and highly sensitive human beings who have no control over their parentage or place of birth, and your responsibilities in bringing them up are huge. Don't ever view them as 'baggage' accompanying your new spouse

If you take on older ones, don't expect automatic respect from them, it will have to be earned.

All in all though, I do believe it has made me a better person, and also I think having his half-brother and sister around has helped my own boy become the happy, sociable and balanced lad that he is today.

Oh, and it will be great to have the little Miss's piles of stuff out of the spare room ! :NoNo: :icon_lol:

Pete/London
3rd July 2011, 10:29
I have just experienced the same thing Graham, my son has returned home last week after gaining his degree at Uni. Its so nice to have him around the house again with the feeling of the family being complete again. Enjoy it:xxgrinning--00xx3: