PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted. Is this request for financial help genuine or a scam. ??

GaryCambs
3rd July 2011, 17:59
Hi Guys

After my first rather embarrasing post on here I took your advice and joined one of the filipino websites. After a couple days I had contact from a young lady saying that she had got in touch because I live in the town in uk where she is due to come to work as a nurse on 15th of this month. We chated back and forth via yahoo for several days about her new job at the local hospital etc. Yesterday however she said she was worried that she would not be able to take the job offer as she could not raise enough money to get to Manilla for her initial orientation. She asked me if I could possibly help asking for what is not a large amount of money. She has told me the flight details and gave me the number of the POEA agent dealing with her arrangements. I txt the agent and he confirmed that indeed she does have a job offer but that all details were confedential. Question is could this be a real plea for help or is it a scam. Any thoughts people please

Steve.r
3rd July 2011, 18:03
Come on Gary..... it is screaming SCAM :doh

Never get tempted into sending money to anyone.

GaryCambs
3rd July 2011, 21:22
Ok so another scam had to ask a second opinion though as if her future realy was in the balance and i did not help i would have felt bad about it . thanks

Englishman2010
3rd July 2011, 21:33
whether she genuinely has a job to go to or not, it is not your responsibility to help her out.

I was chatting to a Filipina friend of my g/f a few days ago. She's just broken up with her European b/f and she was chatting to me to find out if I knew any single white guys who might be interested. I asked her why she wanted a white/Euro or US b/f. Her reply was very simple, because you earn about 50 x more than Filipino's do.

I'm sorry to say this, but a lot of Filipina's see us as easy money, and will keep asking for more if you give in. Don't feel sorry for them, they survived before you came along and will survive if you aren't around.

Moy
3rd July 2011, 21:35
Number of people get worried during slow economy period as one thing starts striking in their mind about the amount of money they have as if they will be able to pay their bills or not. Unluckily, they also feel un-secure about money scams as scammers usually make victim to those who are struggling financially.
Many scams/frauds come from overseas, through unsolicited e-mails, surprise phone calls or even a visit. If you did not ask for a visit a call or an unexpected e-mail think for a minute why you have been contacted and what details they know about you? You should be careful not to hand over personal details such as your bank account and credit card numbers until you have established the credentials of who you are dealing with. :D;):Wave:

Steve.r
3rd July 2011, 21:39
Number of people get worried during slow economy period as one thing starts striking in their mind about the amount of money they have as if they will be able to pay their bills or not. Unluckily, they also feel un-secure about money scams as scammers usually make victim to those who are struggling financially.
Many scams/frauds come from overseas, through unsolicited e-mails, surprise phone calls or even a visit. If you did not ask for a visit a call or an unexpected e-mail think for a minute why you have been contacted and what details they know about you? You should be careful not to hand over personal details such as your bank account and credit card numbers until you have established the credentials of who you are dealing with. :D;):Wave:

Thats just common sense Moy. She was not asking for his bank account details or any credentials or card numbers, she was scamming a story of needing money to get this job. Plain and simple scam ploy. :rolleyes:

Moy
3rd July 2011, 21:50
oh i see..btw am just talking in general term:D forgive my mistake:icon_lol:

Steve.r
3rd July 2011, 21:58
oh i see..btw am just talking in general term:D forgive my mistake:icon_lol: It's ok, i guess we all need reminding of that, specially if there are scammers about... and there are so many these days :)

sars_notd_virus
3rd July 2011, 21:58
She afford to finished nursing course which is very expensive(board,review,exam) and now a not so expensive flight for the orientation she cant afford?? sounds weird and a real scam to me...:crazy:

Gary,am sure you will find more filipina with better and simple credentials ( a filipina who will be just happy to meet you in real without asking monetary help or whatsoever)

goodluck again!!

Farmerg
3rd July 2011, 22:02
Thats just common sense Moy. She was not asking for his bank account details or any credentials or card numbers, she was scamming a story of needing money to get this job. Plain and simple scam ploy. :rolleyes:
People still fall for these scams so I thing Moys advice is is still good even if it's not applicable in this situation.

I had someone try and scam me after several months of chatting so i know what it feels like :cwm23: at least she didn't get any money out of me!( she obviously hadn't heard how tight us English farmers are :D:icon_lol: )

joebloggs
3rd July 2011, 22:06
you wouldn't ask someone you knew for a few days for money :NoNo: and thats if you should ask him at all :NoNo:, not his problem :doh

Farmerg
3rd July 2011, 22:07
you wouldn't ask someone you knew for a few days for money :NoNo: and thats if you should ask him at all :NoNo:, not his problem :doh
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
3rd July 2011, 22:14
It's ok, i guess we all need reminding of that, specially if there are scammers about... and there are so many these days :)

i agree Steve.r:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
3rd July 2011, 22:14
She afford to finished nursing course which is very expensive(board,review,exam) and now a not so expensive flight for the orientation she cant afford?? sounds weird and a real scam to me...:crazy:

Gary,am sure you will find more filipina with better and simple credentials ( a filipina who will be just happy to meet you in real without asking monetary help or whatsoever)

goodluck again!!

well said sars:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
3rd July 2011, 22:16
People still fall for these scams so I thing Moys advice is is still good even if it's not applicable in this situation.

I had someone try and scam me after several months of chatting so i know what it feels like :cwm23: at least she didn't get any money out of me!( she obviously hadn't heard how tight us English farmers are :D:icon_lol: )

its true Farmerg:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Koala
3rd July 2011, 23:54
Unfortunetly everybody is spot on......She is scamming......Some times you get upset when my fellow country men and women have to restort to these means of making a easy buck......They don't understand playing with people's emotions is very damaging....But not being able to see a person in person they always thinks its not going to hurt......Moy is spot on it takes alot of money to get to be qualified as a nurse here, and its only the well healed that can afford their kids career choice......She can't be that educated that people couldn't see thru her.....Give everybody a break....Pays for the education but can't pay the couple thousand pesos domestic ticket to manila.

Koala

tanga
4th July 2011, 02:31
I have heard of cases where Filipinos have been conned by foreigners here. I know of a balikbayan who had worked hard for many years and saved his cash. He was taken for 10,000USD by an American.
At first when I heard the details,I was sceptical but was shown copies of post dated cheques issued by the scammer.copy of the criminal case that had been filed and a photo of the scammer.
It was amazing that someone who on the outside seemed wise and intelligent,well travelled and streetwise could be fooled so easily.
The story was that the American,after building a friendly relationship explained that he was waiting for his retirement funds to clear and be remitted but needed some cash in the meantime and if a loan could be provided he would pay back with interest and a goodwill payment of $2k.The retirement sum that was mentioned was simply absurd $4m which one would imagine would raise doubts and suspicion but nevertheless the victim fell for it hook line and sinker.
The victim appeared at my house with a neighbour in the hope that I may know someone,another foreigner who could identify the con artist from the photo. I kept the photo for a while and asked around but without success.Despite his utter stupidity I had to feel sorry for the victim who had little to show for his years of toil and sacrifice,seperated from his family.

GaryCambs
4th July 2011, 07:25
Thanks guys. This is all new stuff to me. Guess I Should check my profile pic to ensure I do not have mug written on my forehead. Belive it or not I had another attempt yesterday evening. This one wanted me to send money to pay for a security id check because her parents would not allow her to communicate at length to any male from the uk without the check. Oh well onwards..... Any more tips to weave out the good from the bad would be appreciated. Have a good day all.

stevewool
4th July 2011, 07:31
there is some true cases that all they need is some money and quite a few send it, its down to that person what they want to do,its great you have joined some sites so dont let this lady put you off, just be wary and enjoy the company, a little tip, think that all you have is your hard work and you are never going to give it away,that way once someone ask for money you already know the answer, now if they are real they will stay no matter what your answer will be, thats the time you may consided sending a little, goodluck

stevewool
4th July 2011, 07:35
Thanks guys. This is all new stuff to me. Guess I Should check my profile pic to ensure I do not have mug written on my forehead Any more tips to weave out the good from the bad would be appreciated. Have a good day all.

there is good and bad in everyone, just take your time and make sure its your head and not your dick that is making all the choices for you, we all have been there and many will follow,she is out there just enjoy the rollacoaster ride:icon_lol:

Terpe
4th July 2011, 07:43
.... Oh well onwards..... Any more tips to weave out the good from the bad would be appreciated. Have a good day all.

Gary, be sure that the person you are talking to is really the person you think (as far as possible). Especially in terms of gender and location. Don't get fooled by images of local celebs etc

Dedworth
4th July 2011, 08:10
Oh well onwards..... Any more tips to weave out the good from the bad would be appreciated. Have a good day all.

Google Filipina Scammers - there are a number of websites out there that show how wily and devious these people are etc

sweetnote143
4th July 2011, 09:36
they are right, gary, in some dating sites there are lots who are there to scam unsuspecting foreigners....watch out in datingsites for members who are using pictures of celebrities, transgenders who can pass as a woman in their pictures, and those who show a lot of skin and cleavage. I'm not saying that all filipina members in dating sites are scammers. there are who really in earnest trying to find someone to love....it is best when you agree to have a chat is to ask her to use a cam as well. dont tell you're attracted to her from what you've seen in her pics or from what you've read in her profile....just get to know her, ask a lot of questions about her and look for consistency in her answers....be her friend first....and always be honest and frank with her...dont let her believe or assume something when in fact you were not serious about what you've said.....the best is always be frank even if she's not going to like what you're saying or going to say.

ask around maybe they know someone who is in earnest looking for a boyfriend in this site......that's the safest way since some of the members might know her well......anyways, goodluck with your search, gary :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
4th July 2011, 11:06
there is some true cases that all they need is some money and quite a few send it, its down to that person what they want to do,its great you have joined some sites so dont let this lady put you off, just be wary and enjoy the company, a little tip, think that all you have is your hard work and you are never going to give it away,that way once someone ask for money you already know the answer, now if they are real they will stay no matter what your answer will be, thats the time you may consided sending a little, goodluck

:xxgrinning--00xx3: there are many scammers out there, but their are genunie cases to, where people are desperate and dont have anyone to turn to, i offered to help the now misses out, i ended up supporting her for years :cwm24:, well in nov we will have been married 9 long years :rolleyes:

hawk
7th July 2011, 11:35
when i first contacted my fieancee i told her i dont have money and i dont give it away she told me she didnt need any and would not ask for money from me she has little money i know i stayed with her and she never asked for one penny she gave me accomadation food free i did give her money for food as i didnt want to free load but she proved to me that she was not a scammer been more than 6 months and were still togeather and shes going to come over without help from money from me :D i have said i will help if she needs it and again she has not asked to me that means i got a good woman:hubbahubba: and i know she not using me to come to uk as i said i would got to phil and live with her she got that happy she nearly wet her pants :)

South-east boy
8th July 2011, 13:39
they are right, gary, in some dating sites there are lots who are there to scam unsuspecting foreigners....watch out in datingsites for members who are using pictures of celebrities, transgenders who can pass as a woman in their pictures, and those who show a lot of skin and cleavage. I'm not saying that all filipina members in dating sites are scammers. there are who really in earnest trying to find someone to love....it is best when you agree to have a chat is to ask her to use a cam as well. dont tell you're attracted to her from what you've seen in her pics or from what you've read in her profile....just get to know her, ask a lot of questions about her and look for consistency in her answers....be her friend first....and always be honest and frank with her...dont let her believe or assume something when in fact you were not serious about what you've said.....the best is always be frank even if she's not going to like what you're saying or going to say.

ask around maybe they know someone who is in earnest looking for a boyfriend in this site......that's the safest way since some of the members might know her well......anyways, goodluck with your search, gary :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good info there!:xxgrinning--00xx3: As said, try to chat on the cam a few times. I've seen many fake photos before now and I've also been nearly caught by a lady-boy! Yes, I chatted to them on cam too, but mostly without sound. They can be very convincing especially when they have had surgery such as a boob job and adam's apple etc! :omg: I was lucky in that I just searched their name on Facebook and although they were not on there, there was a link to them on a lady-boy website! Also beware when they say that they love you way too early and come up with many hardship situations. Keep an open mind, don't rush and try to just chat about anything & everything, getting to know her without mentioning any fancy things you might have or what your house is like etc. I find it best to start chatting with a few, then get a feel who you enjoy chatting with/have a connection with and hopefully you'll narrow it down to the one right girl. I've chatted to a few nice girls and got on fine, but sometimes it's just been like "I've done this or that today" and they say the same, but there's something missing and you kinda get the feeling that conversation could struggle. For me it needs to be more than that where you always find things to chat about and like with Viva and I, we're always saying that we'll just chat for 5/10 minutes more, then go on chatting for another hour or so! :icon_lol:

Sometimes you might be lucky and meet the right girl early on, or sometimes it can take a time. It took me 2 years to find the right girl, after spending 7 months on one girl who I thought it was going well with (but who suddenly ended up with someone else), and chatting to many different girls (in this country and others) on a few websites. I had quite a few scam tries, one girl needing money for her phone bill on the first chat, another needing money for renting a cam in the Internet cafe-(I think she thought I'd be persuaded after sending me a few foxy photos of herself!), one whose phone number was a premium rate line and you couldn't text + she had no other phone she said and another later after sending quite a few messages, professed love too early and not too long after was asking for money. Like people have said on this forum many times, if someone who you'd only spoken to a few times say in a pub or through friends of friends etc asked you for money, would you give it to them?

It also helps if you can find someone who is working, not too young (a lot of younger girls are not so mature, don't know what love is and fantasize a bit too much!), doesn't have children and isn't divorced. I'm not saying don't go for someone who doesn't have those situations as quite a few people on here have met their partner on here with some of those situations and it's worked out well, but the more of those situations that they have, will just make more complications for yourself, will be more costly and longer before you can be together.

So basically, be a bit on your guard, spend some time, be patient -you'll learn many things along the way and hopefully you'll get lucky some day and find the right girl for you. :)

worthingmale
8th July 2011, 21:48
it is very expensive to become a nurse, and if she can afford to do that then she can afford to get to Manila,

scam dude

malditako
9th July 2011, 18:14
:xxgrinning--00xx3: there are many scammers out there, but their are genunie cases to, where people are desperate and dont have anyone to turn to, i offered to help the now misses out, i ended up supporting her for years :cwm24:, well in nov we will have been married 9 long years :rolleyes:

have to agree!!!

malditako
9th July 2011, 18:19
in my case..i've been scammed by my amazing husband...before we get married the plan was....we are going to settle in phils, and now here i am end up in UK without a housemaid and without a nanny :doh

stevewool
9th July 2011, 18:24
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:well grace you have your cannon , and your hunters too what a lucky girl you are :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sweetnote143
11th July 2011, 02:28
Good info there!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

So basically, be a bit on your guard, spend some time, be patient -you'll learn many things along the way and hopefully you'll get lucky some day and find the right girl for you. :)

thanks, south-east boy! :xxgrinning--00xx3: I agree with you on that....be patient...the best things in life are those things you've waited for and work hard for....best things come for those who wait....I've learned my lesson on that area, being impatient put me into a lot of trouble....right now I'm learning to be patient but who can give me patience now! :icon_lol: kidding aside, we need to learn to be patient