PDA

View Full Version : bringing canned goods to uk

arlyn101
12th July 2011, 01:41
hi everyone,

i'd like to ask if i can bring canned goods to the uk, like tuna and corned beef.

thanks a lot!!!

Englishman2010
12th July 2011, 06:18
Why would you want to bring them here, we have lots of choice of canned items in UK supermarkets and they are very cheap too. No point using your baggage allowance on things you can buy cheaply here:)

ozzmantel
12th July 2011, 08:14
Why would you want to bring them here, we have lots of choice of canned items in UK supermarkets and they are very cheap too. No point using your baggage allowance on things you can buy cheaply here:)

Well said!! It is a total waste of the allowance if you intend to bring over items that are readily available in the UK!?

sars_notd_virus
12th July 2011, 10:00
yes why would you want to bring canned goods here, you can find some of pinoy brands in the local kababayan/asian shops :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I would rather suggest you to fill up your vanity case with loads of stuffs you normally used than to bring canned goods.

Terpe
12th July 2011, 11:17
In principle I agree with previous posts on this.

However, just to answer your specific question please be informed that IF you DO bring ANY food back from Pinas, and you're unsure if it's allowed or not, then always declare to a UKBA officer in the RED channel (or on the red point phone).
If your products are illegal, they will be seized and destroyed, but you will face no further action (such as a fine or prosecution).

If you go through the green channel and UKBA Officers find any undeclared and illegal items, you will face a significantly long delay, the goods will be seized and destroyed, and you MAY face a penalty fine or formal prosecution.

According to European Commission Regulation 206/2009, personal imports of meat and dairy products are not permitted – it doesn’t even matter if the products are vacuum-packed, tinned or in a sealed packet.
So no corned beef.

Fish/Fishery products are allowed into UK from Pinas, even dried fish!
So tins of tuna would be OK. Provided it did not contain any other ingredients from the non-permitted list.

As others have said it really does seem pointless to use up your baggage allowances on tins of tuna.

branno
12th July 2011, 12:01
i must admit, im a guilty person for i do bring on average 3 kilos of rice back with me each time.. i find it quite difficult to obtain pino rice.. and im quite fond of it too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

arlyn101
12th July 2011, 13:35
thanks everyone. my hubby wants me to bring some. i guess i'll just have to tell him , i can't bring canned foods then. better not, than getting into trouble, hehehe.
again, thank you so much

johncar54
12th July 2011, 14:16
If you are in doubt this is the helpline for customs in UK +44 (0)20 7238 6951

I called them and tinned corned beef is not permitted.

Certain types of rice, in original packaging is, but one would need to speak to someone on that number about specifics.

I would ask my wife just bring herself back as quickly as possible (what a creep ! )

branno
12th July 2011, 18:46
i suggest you bring lots of magic sarap and also gata mix ..you wont go far wrong..:xxgrinning--00xx3:... magic sarap been the most important one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
12th July 2011, 20:10
I'm assuming it's ok to bring back the packs of dried mangoes that are on sale in every store at the airport. Any spare room in my bag is reserved for bringing them back and my stash of Philip Morris products;)

Moy
12th July 2011, 20:24
hi everyone,

i'd like to ask if i can bring canned goods to the uk, like tuna and corned beef.

thanks a lot!!!

just bring some crispy skinned lechon arlyn:D preserve on a can:rolleyes:

Terpe
12th July 2011, 20:51
just bring some crispy skinned lechon arlyn:D preserve on a can:rolleyes:

No moy, please don't advise that. Even in jest it's just not a nice thing. :)

Moy
12th July 2011, 20:56
No moy, please don't advise that. Even in jest it's just not a nice thing. :)

forgived:Wave: but am just taking the mickey..terpe..:rolleyes:

jon richard
12th July 2011, 21:17
So to reverse this

What should i take to the phils that will be hard to find????
tea bags ? { dont say cadburys!!!}:D:D:D

Englishman2010
12th July 2011, 21:25
So to reverse this

You can get Lipton teabags and Nescafe out there. Most food products are made by the multinationals like Unilever, Kraft and Nestle these days, you can get most products in most countries.

Moy
12th July 2011, 21:37
So to reverse this

blackpudding:omg::D

sars_notd_virus
12th July 2011, 21:44
So to reverse this

Marmite , ...Guinness.......and Cadburys Cream egg:D:Rasp:

Englishman2010
12th July 2011, 21:45
blackpudding:omg::D

You can get dinuguan though:xxgrinning--00xx3: It's nearly the same, just a bit sloppier:icon_lol:

Moy
12th July 2011, 21:59
true:D specially with puto:Rasp: yum

hmm clotted cream from Devon would be superb:D:rolleyes:

joebloggs
12th July 2011, 22:04
Marmite , ...

:vomit-smiley-011:
veggymite :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
12th July 2011, 22:05
You can get Lipton teabags

Lipton..... call that tea :Erm: You get Lipton in most countries, but to be honest I can't call it tea, more like discoloured water. Might be worth taking a box of Yorkshire Tea or PG Tips for a reasonable cuppa.... if you really need homely flavours :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
12th July 2011, 22:06
hmm clotted cream from Devon would be superb:D:rolleyes:

I'll try it on my black pudding next time:repuke::icon_lol:

Moy
12th July 2011, 22:13
well of course you can:yikes:..good luck nyahaha:icon_lol:

Tawi2
12th July 2011, 22:19
PG Tips for a reasonable cuppa
Amen,a proper brew should be strong enough to stand the spoon up in,liptons isnt real tea,my nan who was pretty blunt would have described it as being like p*ssy-water :NoNo:

Steve.r
12th July 2011, 22:32
Amen,a proper brew should be strong enough to stand the spoon up in :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: