PDA

View Full Version : Filipino food: More than just adobo

Maria B
21st July 2011, 13:30
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/06/30/11/filipino-food-more-just-adobo

:rolleyes:During my first trimester pregnancy as I was craving for Pinoy Foods, it was so hard as I cannot just go to the butchers to buy the things that I needed for cooking . If I cook "humba" (adobo in tagalog), the taste is different :NoNo::doh I always go to Birmingham rag market or to Chinese market...:NoNo:still unavailable. Was looking for some fruits as well & found this jackfruit from Sri Lanka, it's not the same especially mangoes here taste different from the Cebu City's mango....totally different. Event thought of visiting home just for the sake of food...hahaha. Now, I'm glad I don't crave no more but can't help missing the Filipino cuisines and I know I'm not the only one, even my husband wants lechon, mango & banana from cebu :laugher::icon_lol:

grahamw48
21st July 2011, 14:21
I miss the little sweet Saging, the fresh Pineapples, Mangoes and (Green) Oranges, but most of all the 'tasty' ladies. :hubbahubba:

Maria B
21st July 2011, 14:28
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

worthingmale
21st July 2011, 15:29
mangoes,

dried mango from cebu is the best, so much nicer than dried mango from South Africa or anywhere else

Maria B
21st July 2011, 15:51
mangoes,

dried mango from cebu is the best, so much nicer than dried mango from South Africa or anywhere else

:xxgrinning--00xx3::) everytime I pay a visit to cebu and return back to the UK, I always have dried mangoes, tabliya (coffee choco in tablets), rosquillos, otap & danggit to bring. Slurp...& now, it's been a year since my last visit & I'm out of stocks :icon_lol: Even Cebu's very own danggit....:Cuckoo::Wave:

stevie c
21st July 2011, 17:45
mangoes,

i have too agree with you worthingale noyhing comes close to cebu dried mango :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
21st July 2011, 18:35
I miss the little sweet Saging............

Seņorita banana's :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:
My fav ever:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
21st July 2011, 18:59
On Mangoes

During my time, I've lived in both India and in Pakistan.

Based on my personal mango experiences, I'm sorry to say that the Alphonse Mangoes from India are my all time number one favorite.
Second place just has to be the heavenly ultra-sweet Honey mangoes from Pakistan. In fact we just bought another box only today.

However wonderful the other types/varieties of mango might be, for me they just can't match the sight, smell or taste of my top two. :)

Moy
21st July 2011, 19:00

:rolleyes:During my first trimester pregnancy as I was craving for Pinoy Foods, it was so hard as I cannot just go to the butchers to buy the things that I needed for cooking . If I cook "humba" (adobo in tagalog), the taste is different :NoNo::doh I always go to Birmingham rag market or to Chinese market...:NoNo:still unavailable. Was looking for some fruits as well & found this jackfruit from Sri Lanka, it's not the same especially mangoes here taste different from the Cebu City's mango....totally different. Event thought of visiting home just for the sake of food...hahaha. Now, I'm glad I don't crave no more but can't help missing the Filipino cuisines and I know I'm not the only one, even my husband wants lechon, mango & banana from cebu :laugher::icon_lol:

i miss the warm smile of my neighbor pair with free bibingka and mainit na kape for tea(merienda):D:rolleyes:

Maria B
21st July 2011, 19:22
i have too agree with you worthingale noyhing comes close to cebu dried mango :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: I grew up munching with it :)

Maria B
21st July 2011, 19:23
Seņorita banana's :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:
My fav ever:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: and "tundan" saging (banana)

Maria B
21st July 2011, 19:24
i miss the warm smile of my neighbor pair with free bibingka and mainit na kape for tea(merienda):D:rolleyes:

:Hellooo:ohhh the mirenda (snacks) in every after meal...:icon_lol::doh

Moy
21st July 2011, 19:28
:Hellooo:ohhh the mirenda (snacks) in every after meal...:icon_lol::doh

whatver does not matter as long as foodzzzz:yikes::icon_lol::Rasp:

Tawi2
21st July 2011, 19:33
ultra-sweet Honey mangoes from Pakistan.
Did you ever find yourself in northern pakistan during apricot season?:)

Maria B
21st July 2011, 19:36
whatver does not matter as long as foodzzzz:yikes::icon_lol::Rasp:

agree. anything under the sun:icon_lol:

Maria B
21st July 2011, 19:39
On Mangoes

During my time, I've lived in both India and in Pakistan.

Based on my personal mango experiences, I'm sorry to say that the Alphonse Mangoes from India are my all time number one favorite.
Second place just has to be the heavenly ultra-sweet Honey mangoes from Pakistan. In fact we just bought another box only today.

However wonderful the other types/varieties of mango might be, for me they just can't match the sight, smell or taste of my top two. :)

:Hellooo:wow, the sounds yummy. Hope I can try one & I can compare the taste from the Mangoes in Cebu. Have u tried the Cebu Mangoes? U cannot find it here in the UK. By the way...have u ever been to Cebu? :Wave:

Moy
21st July 2011, 20:09
agree. anything under the sun:icon_lol:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::D

inihaw na pusit..tsaka kinilaw na tanguige with inihaw(sinugbang) na baboy na maanghang:Drapsaaaaaaaa:Hellooo:

Terpe
21st July 2011, 20:27

inihaw na pusit..tsaka kinilaw na tanguige with singabang baboy na maanghang:Drapsaaaaaaaa:Hellooo:

All of those :hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Maria B
21st July 2011, 20:31

inihaw na pusit..tsaka kinilaw na tanguige with singabang baboy na maanghang:Drapsaaaaaaaa:Hellooo:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:yess the marinated squid even calamares & lots of street foods (Larsian) :hubbahubba:

Moy
21st July 2011, 20:35
:xxgrinning--00xx3:yess the marinated squid even calamares & lots of street foods (Larsian) :hubbahubba:

fishball..balotttt:yikes::rolleyes:/penoyyy..kwikkwik:hubbahubba:..adidas at iba pa yummy:D

Terpe
21st July 2011, 21:54
Did you ever find yourself in northern pakistan during apricot season?:)

When I lived in Lahore I seemed to spend most of my time in Rawalpindi. When I moved to Rawalpindi, I then spent most of my time in Lahore.

Anyway, working with Pakistan Railways meant nearly all my travel was free.

I made some very good Japanese friends in Rawalpindi and also at a locomotive factory at Risalpur.

During summer we would often organise trips with some PR people to Karimabad/Baltit. Not such a major trip from Rawalpindi. The geography and landscape there is as breathtaking and beautiful as I've ever seen anywhere.

Anyway regarding the apricots, the only thing I remember is seeing them almost everywhere. You would always see the locals carrying baskets full of them on their backs.
I remember a sort of apricot bread.

Tawi2
21st July 2011, 21:59
Rawalpindi
I lived in Pindi for a while in Rajah bazzar,I caught the train often over to taxila and Peshawar.Apricot season was fantastic,the freshest juiciest apricots and all for free,we used to steep the dried apricots in hot water and drink the juice on cold mornings in the mountains.

South-east boy
27th July 2011, 11:11

Are they the yellow honey type? If so, you can often find those at Asian (Indian and Pakistani) green-grocers and can buy by the box-full.

What dried mango do you like the most? I've found them top be varying qualities. I have 7D ones at the mo-I bought a few bags after I finished the ones that Viva brought.

Maria B
8th August 2011, 03:08
Are they the yellow honey type? If so, you can often find those at Asian (Indian and Pakistani) green-grocers and can buy by the box-full.

What dried mango do you like the most? I've found them top be varying qualities. I have 7D ones at the mo-I bought a few bags after I finished the ones that Viva brought.

yes the yellow one with very thin skin & soft & sweet in the inside. Haven't been to indian & pakistani shops. I love 7D & R&M dried mangoes, they are from Cebu, Philippines. It's always a pasalubong (gifts going abroad) to a friend. I always have it everytime I come back to the UK from my hometown, Cebu.

Maria B
8th August 2011, 03:51
5451dried mangoes

5450lots of different brands of dried mangoes nowadays but there's always 7D, R&M, philippine dried mango

5452more of dried mangoes...below is what cebu mangoes looks like

5453thin skin

5454soft inside

5455smells & taste sweet, for export too

grahamw48
8th August 2011, 10:03
Yummy !

Those are what I call PROPER mangoes. :Rasp:

I always made a cocktail of mango juice and Tanduay...because then I could tell myself it was good for me. :icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
8th August 2011, 10:12
I am missing the ''red'' hotdogs (purefoods):bigcry:

South-east boy
8th August 2011, 11:43
What's the best way to cut mangoes? Last time I got some of the yellow ones I cut all around lengthways through to the stone, but just could not get the flesh off the stone! :NoNo: Think maybe the fruit was too ripe? It just ended up being a mushy mess and I ended up throwing it away! :rolleyes:

Maria B
8th August 2011, 13:50
I am missing the ''red'' hotdogs (purefoods):bigcry:

me too...love purefoods hotdogs :Rasp:

Maria B
8th August 2011, 13:53
What's the best way to cut mangoes? Last time I got some of the yellow ones I cut all around lengthways through to the stone, but just could not get the flesh off the stone! :NoNo: Think maybe the fruit was too ripe? It just ended up being a mushy mess and I ended up throwing it away! :rolleyes:

it really depends what u like. if it's too ripe, just cut lenghtways scoop the flesh with spoon and bite the stone. To a lazy one like me, I will just peel off the skin & eat it straight away till u can see the bone :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Maria B
8th August 2011, 13:54
[QUOTE=grahamw48;307043]Yummy !

Those are what I call PROPER mangoes. :Rasp:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::)

grahamw48
8th August 2011, 14:01

Cut two parallel lines lengthways right through the Mango each side of the stone.

One at a time put each outer segment into the palm of your hand and then with a non-sharp knife cut across and lengthways (without going through the skin) so that you have segments about 2cms square.

You can either eat these straight off the skin, or scrape them off with a spoon into a bowl.

The middle section with the stone, you need to peel off the skin and then remove as much of the flesh as you can with teeth or spoon. :)

scott&ligaya
8th August 2011, 14:33
I just hand it to my honey who does it expertly for me hehehehehehe

grahamw48
8th August 2011, 15:19
Some of us don't have a honey...just her children to take care of. :cwm3:

scott&ligaya
8th August 2011, 16:18
sorry Graham48, will be more sensitive in future posts. To be fair when my little boy asked handed me a satsuma and asked me to "take its coat off" I was there for him LOL. Now about your current situation, one of my mahals best mates in Puerto Princesa has worn out (sorry fell out) with her Ausie partner ( he found a very young one) and is keen to get back on the dating market. She has her own beauty salon so get on a plane and go and get some free personal massages ...:icon_lol::icon_lol: I will see if I can find a piccy to post hehehehehehehe

grahamw48
8th August 2011, 18:20
Ooh yes....photo please.

I have to be very fussy about pretty ladies 30 years my junior. :icon_lol:

scott&ligaya
8th August 2011, 19:59
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=224748097544431&set=a.224747984211109.63823.100000277262654&type=1&theater

the one on the left, the other one is mine hehehehehe

grahamw48
8th August 2011, 23:38
Very pretty ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks for sharing. :)

scott&ligaya
9th August 2011, 10:07
no worries glad you liked the piccy lol, she is a pretty lady.