PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing in the nineties.

grahamw48
25th July 2011, 17:52
I was working in Hong Kong, and my wife and kids were in the Phils.

I just found this video that takes me back, because I worked on the new airport (including driving those huge trucks), also on one of the new bridges, and a tunnel project.

Some of you might find it interesting.
Hong Kong is a simply amazing place. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD7qPOPpllQ

(ignore the date on the video, all this took place in the 90s)

Tawi2
25th July 2011, 18:03
Honkers in the naughty nineties ;) ah,I remember it well :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
25th July 2011, 18:25
Apart from a short stop in Singapore in 1991, I completely missed out on the Far East in the 90's, instead I spent the time travelling around The USA, Australia and India.
Making up for lost time now, will be on my way to Honkers again in 3 weeks :D

Arthur Little
25th July 2011, 18:26
the naughty nineties ;)

:rolleyes: We~ll for ME the '90s were, indeed, naughty! :yeahthat: I'd been widowed less than 2 years into the decade ... and so ... being not exactly an :olddude: [at the time!] ended up doing what I missed out on in my teens - "sowing my wild oats" :cwm24: so to speak - throughout my fifties and ... :Erm: ... earlier sixties. :D

Arthur Little
25th July 2011, 18:52
"sowing my wild oats" :cwm24: so to speak - throughout my fifties and ... :Erm: ... earlier sixties. :D

No ... :nono-1-1: ... I'm NOT bragging ... honest! ;)

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2011, 19:34
Was with my ex from '91 and then right through the decade. Lived in Norwich, Inverness, Torquay, Blackpool and then Birmingham. Furthest afield I went was Benidorm, Rhodes & Turkey. Worked as a baker which is my trade, a heraldic researcher a delivery driver and a taxi driver. :)

stevewool
25th July 2011, 19:46
cant remember, was i born:rolleyes:

Moy
25th July 2011, 20:04
i was 10 years:laugher: old that time and innocent:yikes::icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2011, 20:08
i was 10 years:laugher: old that time and innocent:yikes::icon_lol:and no good at maths :D

Moy
25th July 2011, 20:10
and no good at maths :D

am no good in math maybe but you dont think if my age on my profile was mine hahaha:cwm24::D

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2011, 20:12
am no good in math maybe but you dont think if my age on my profile was mine hahaha:cwm24::D
Don't tell me you've cut and pasted your age Moy? :icon_lol:

Moy
25th July 2011, 20:15
Don't tell me you've cut and pasted your age Moy? :icon_lol:

dont have too :)as the personality speak rather than a tongue full of stinks:)

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2011, 20:32
dont have too :)as the personality speak rather than a tongue full of stinks:)
So you're 30?

Moy
25th July 2011, 20:35
and i have to tell that my age on my profile wrong:doh:cwm24: and its the husband ..apologized specially to my good friend jamiexxxmaria..need to edit my profile..so i wont be mistaken as a!" cutted and pasted" queen:omg::D:doh:icon_lol:

Moy
25th July 2011, 20:36
So you're 30?

1981 yes:):Wave:

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2011, 20:39
and i have to tell that my age on my profile wrong:doh:cwm24: and its the husband ..apologized specially to my good friend jamiexxxmaria..need to edit my profile..so i wont be mistaken as a!" cutted and pasted" queen:omg::D:doh:icon_lol:I was joking about cutting and pasting your age :);)

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2011, 20:40
1981 yes:):Wave:Same year as my mahal

Moy
25th July 2011, 20:41
Same year as my mahal

:heartshape1::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
25th July 2011, 20:50
:heartshape1::xxgrinning--00xx3:
There was a teacher at my school called Moy although it was spelt 'Moye' and he resembled Arthur Daley! . He used to pick on me because of the football team I supported. :cwm3:

Terpe
25th July 2011, 21:04
The 1990's was a very special decade for me.
Most of my time was focussed on developing high speed technology for the various new generation of Shinkansen trains in Japan.

I was actually working on board the WIN250 train for both record runs of 1992.
I was also so blessed to spend my both my birthday and Christmas of December 1993 on board the STAR21 train when it reached a Japanese speed record of 425 km/h
Big celebrations that night.

I spent many happy years in Sendai working on the STAR 21 project right up to 1998.

The 1990's hold another wonderful memory too. I first met my wife in Yokohama :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
25th July 2011, 21:25
people fade but memory last forever:):heartshape1::Wave:

Steve.r
25th July 2011, 21:31
In 1990 I packed up and moved to Saudi Arabia. I got a job with Bell Helicopters and worked for the Royal Flight at King Fahad Airforce Base in Taif. It was during the build up of Desert Storm leading to the first Gulf War. Many people said I was crazy to go, but it was the most eye opening time of my life. I made some great friends, did so many things and experienced so much. It was also the first time I got to know Filipinas as I worked with many at our company.
I saw good and evil while I was there, I got arrested for taking a photo of a football stadium just outside Mecca and dived the pristine clear water coral reefs of the Red Sea.
Times I will never forget.

One of our Royal Flight SH-3D helicopters.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/img065.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/img062.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/Discusboy123/Bike%20Photos/img061.jpg

grahamw48
25th July 2011, 21:32
Interesting stuff Terpe and Steve. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
26th July 2011, 18:36
Graham,I remember popping into Mays place maybe 1991 :Erm:as I needed a specific map of northern Pakistan,I was looking for a guy known as John the Book,he had a massive stock of travel books,but also used to get me maps,ever meet him?Or Jimmy the nigerian guy who worked for may?Loads of characters about in Honkers back then,the "South China Morning Post" did an article on the number of millionaires Chungking produced,were you there when the electricity went off in the block for several weeks due to the "Wiring" :cwm24:

grahamw48
26th July 2011, 18:54
Yes, of course I remember John 'the book', AND Jimmy the Nigerian guy...though my initial stay wasn't until 1993/4...such characters eh.
John was even mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide. :D He always looked like a ghost because he so seldom went outside. :icon_lol:

Jimmy was our sort of bodyguard/night watchman , and his favourite expression was FOOL ! :)

I was there when there was a fire on the 7th floor, below us. :yikes:
Always nice to know that there were no ladders long enough to reach us on the 16th floor. :Erm:

If you link back to youtube, you'll see that that video I posted (Building of airport) is actually part of a series....originally for TV. I'm just working my way through them now. Fascinating, especially when you've worked on some of the projects involved.

My wife and boy in Travellers reception, Chungking Mansions, January 1996:
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7350/honkongandphils009.jpg

Arthur Little
26th July 2011, 19:12
... the "South China Morning Post" did an article on the number of millionaires Chungking produced,were you there when the electricity went off in the block for several weeks due to the "Wiring" :cwm24:

Chungking ... is that the official pronunciation of Chongqing? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: ... and/or are they one and the same ... or different Chinese cities? :Erm: ...

... why I'm asking is because, following a 4-day cruise on the Yangtse River in December 2005, the touring party I was part of ended up in Chongqing.

Maria B
26th July 2011, 19:12
Was in Cebu City, Philippines working under Islacom (now globelines) as an International/ National Long distance Telephone Operator havin' :Cuckoo::hubbahubba:24/7 shifts.
Gave birth to my first born child in early 90's now he's 20;):)
Goes out with friends, bar hopping, island hopping, videoke @ friends house:D:Hellooo:

Tawi2
26th July 2011, 19:23
He always looked like a ghost because he so seldom went outside.
He left the Block only at night to get food,he shuffled sometimes if you remember?I chatted to him often,great guy,he had some sort of industrial accident in the UK and got a pay-off,I never asked how he came to wind up in Honkers,wonder what happened to him :Erm:
Yeah,thats travellers reception :icon_lol: loads of strange people back then,I met a guy called Harry,he was an old cockney geezer,he had been writing to a girl in Mindanao,she had invited him for a meal so he flew to manila-cebu-Davao caught a bus for half a day,got a boat up the coast then found out his pen-pal had a boyfriend so he married her sister :Erm: the last I saw of him he had married a sri-lankan and was off to Sri-lanka to set up a language school or something,you couldnt make it up :laugher:
My mate tony married a pinay called cora,walked out on her a few days after the wedding and married a Thai in Bangkok,he was last seen drinking heavily in Pat-pong,never seen nor heard a sausage from him since :Erm: odd guys :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
26th July 2011, 22:09
Chungking ... is that the official pronunciation of Chongqing? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: ... and/or are they one and the same ... or different Chinese cities? :Erm: ...

... why I'm asking is because, following a 4-day cruise on the Yangtse River in December 2005, the touring party I was part of ended up in Chongqing.

Ho, hum ... :anerikke: ... looks like my questions have "fallen on deaf ears"!!

grahamw48
26th July 2011, 22:22
Sorry Arthur !!! :D

- Just been out picking my boy and his friends up from band practice.

Anyway, to answer your question...I haven't the faintest idea. :Erm:

Unfortunately my Cantonese is limited to construction worker cursing of the worst possible kind. :laugher:

Still, at least I know what they're calling me in the takeaway. :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
26th July 2011, 22:54
Sorry Arthur !!! :D

- Just been out picking my boy and his friends up from band practice.

Anyway, to answer your question...I haven't the faintest idea. :Erm:

Unfortunately my Cantonese is limited to construction worker cursing of the worst possible kind. :laugher:

Still, at least I know what they're calling me in the takeaway. :rolleyes:

:) That's ok, Graham ... the questions had really been addressed to Tawi - based on his apparent knowledge of Southern China - but I guess he's somehow overlooked my post in the course of his enthusiastic reminiscences. :D

Tawi2
27th July 2011, 18:12
the questions had really been addressed to Tawi
Sorry Arthur,didnt see the question as I was reminiscing :doh I havent any knowledge of southern china mate,I always preferred the extreme west of the country but I always thought Chungking was the english translation of Chongqing :Erm:

grahamw48
27th July 2011, 20:23
Do you remember that wholesaler (I think) on Nathan Road....great big sign across the front, called 'Fuk Yew' ?

Always made me laugh. :laugher:

Here's another one:

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/4678/wanpathsign.jpg

:icon_lol:

Tawi2
28th July 2011, 18:41
And who said the chinese dont have a sense of humour :icon_lol: