PDA

View Full Version : Which is best...child birth certificate

suizcon
1st August 2011, 00:48
Good morning,

I'm a British citizen and holding a Phil. passport, I was born in the U.K. and my parents are both Filipino. I have been living in with my soon to be wife here in Manila for almost 4 years, and just last year we had our first baby boy last September (born here in Manila). I plan to apply for a British passport for my Son but the problem is he still has no birth certificate.

So we applied for a late birth registration for my Son which was born in a Hospital, but the problem is my wife has already two kids with her past husband but they weren't married. I wanted to register our son as our First Baby but we cannot change the hospital records anymore.

Another option we got is to have him registered with the traditional midwife so we can have our son as our First baby. But we will have no evidence nor records for that.

Dunno what to do, please help us...thanks in advance.

imagine
1st August 2011, 00:53
hi,suizcon, welcome to the forum, sorry i cant myself help you on that one,
hopefully there will be someone here who can , good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
1st August 2011, 02:16
Good morning,

I'm a British citizen and holding a Phil. passport, I was born in the U.K. and my parents are both Filipino. I have been living in with my soon to be wife here in Manila for almost 4 years, and just last year we had our first baby boy last September (born here in Manila). I plan to apply for a British passport for my Son but the problem is he still has no birth certificate.

So we applied for a late birth registration for my Son which was born in a Hospital, but the problem is my wife has already two kids with her past husband but they weren't married. I wanted to register our son as our First Baby but we cannot change the hospital records anymore.

Another option we got is to have him registered with the traditional midwife so we can have our son as our First baby. But we will have no evidence nor records for that.

Dunno what to do, please help us...thanks in advance.

Since your son IS yours and your wife-to-be's *first child - together ... as a couple - I cannot really see a problem in him being registered *as such. And with both of the two other children being the offspring of her previous relationship, there would seem to no legal reason for either of them to enter the equation in the present context. :NoNo: But there again, I'm not familiar with the vagaracies of Philippine Law.

Arthur Little
1st August 2011, 02:37
:welcomex: to our friendly site ... where it's more than likely you'll receive replies from others, offering a different slant on MY perspective.

suizcon
1st August 2011, 17:46
thanks guys nice to have some replies right after i posted :)

if there is someone who has been in the same situation as me

i'll appreciate your advice

thanks again

Terpe
1st August 2011, 19:10
Hi there suizcon, welcome to the forum.

Please read this information from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, I think it will help in your understanding of what is possible and what is not possible:-
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/births-deaths-marriages-civil/registering-a-birth

I don't want to give too much reading to you but the below links will also be very helpful in your understanding and decision making:-

Children born abroad to parents who are British by descent and who have lived in the United Kingdom in the past (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/bornabroad)

Children born abroad to parents who are British by descent and who are now living in the United Kingdom (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/livingintheuk)

and for further info:-

Form MN1 Application For Registration Of A Child Under 18 As A British Citizen (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/form_mn1.pdf)

Form MN1 Guide (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_mn1.pdf)

Happy reading

suizcon
1st August 2011, 21:30
thanks

got a few questions guys still can't decide

will it be better to have a birth certificate of my son having him as the 3rd child with hospital records?

or

a birth certificate of my son having him as our 1st child with no evidence what so ever?

grahamw48
2nd August 2011, 00:54
I don't see the relevance of what is shown in the hospital records...apart from the record of THAT child's birth. :Erm:

Arthur Little
2nd August 2011, 01:45
I don't see the relevance of what is shown in the hospital records...apart from the record of THAT child's birth. :Erm:

:iagree: ... that's my point entirely.

sars_notd_virus
2nd August 2011, 07:56

...may i ask why u want to put your son as 1st baby when in fact your wife got 2 kids already?:Erm:

suizcon
2nd August 2011, 22:48
...may i ask why u want to put your son as 1st baby when in fact your wife got 2 kids already?:Erm:

because her children is not in her name and is not living with her anymore.
also thinking that it might be better so the visa for her / passport of our child will be easier to get without any complications.

will that be better or won't matter anymore?

grahamw48
2nd August 2011, 23:02
The previous children your wife had, and the child you had together with her will be treated as totally separate cases as regards their nationality...by the UKBA, and any application for a passport for YOUR child will be judged on its own merits.

Your wife should declare that she has the other children, even if at this point she isn't planning to take them to the UK. (One day you may want to at least have them visit you here).

I don't see why any of this should adversely affect your wife's application for a visa, and you should just follow normal procedures for applying for your child's British passport.

The most important thing is that you have a birth certificate for him, with your name on it, certified at the NSO (on their 'security' paper), and then registered with the British embassy.

...Just my opinion of course. UKBA is the best place to get the latest information.