PDA

View Full Version : Which Visa is For Me - Student Dependent or Tourist?

OtherHalfMissin
2nd August 2011, 09:26
Hello guys. Im from Cebu, My Wife went to UK last June 14 as a working student(nurse) for 3 years. Her visa is student visa; and I heard about this student dependent where I can stay with her as long as she is there.

I got some questions though, cuz even on reading the official stuffs about it, I admit, I get confused... I really really wanna meet her again ASAP. Im really having severe depressions ever since she left...

So as of my questions...
How soon can she petition me for a student dependent visa?
Do I still need show money in bank for it or is it up to her salary?

And between student dependent and tourist visa, which is best for me? I plan to visit her on our 2nd year wedding anniversary this Nov.

MANY MANY MANY THANKS!

joebloggs
2nd August 2011, 13:20
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf29pbsstudent#624003082

OtherHalfMissin
2nd August 2011, 14:09
Thanks. Doesnt say though how long must she be there and earning before she can petition me. Or can she do so as soon as after 3 months?

grahamw48
2nd August 2011, 20:50
Maybe there is a UK Filipina nurses' forum where people are asking the the same question.

You might find it by googling.

Good luck anyway. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
2nd August 2011, 20:53
or is it up to her salary?
If she is on a student visa she is only allowed to work a limited number of hours a week,I think its 20 hours,she wont have much of a salary on those hours :Erm:

OtherHalfMissin
2nd August 2011, 22:28
Maybe there is a UK Filipina nurses' forum where people are asking the the same question.

You might find it by googling.

Good luck anyway. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oh ok. Ill search around. This is my first choice cuz well, its already place specific.

If she is on a student visa she is only allowed to work a limited number of hours a week,I think its 20 hours,she wont have much of a salary on those hours :Erm:

True. Its 35 hours a week on those term weeks; non-term, up to 60.

Tawi2
3rd August 2011, 05:42
Is it 35 hours a week?:Erm:

You can work part time as long as you do not exceed 20 hours per week. During University vacations you can work full time. You can also work full time when you have completed your course if you still have leave to remain as a student.

OtherHalfMissin
3rd August 2011, 05:49
35 hours. Anyway guys, I called the UK Embassy, they said I cant use tourist visa. Since if I even plan a surprise visit, the fact that they will know My Wife is in UK, my visa application might be rejected.

Family visit is the best course. Is this true? Student dependent is out of the question for now cuz Wife is still adjusting and so far, on-call duty.

Any advice?

Tawi2
3rd August 2011, 05:59
Good luck with your visa,but you will find its only 20 hours a week,this is from UKBA's own site,my sis had some foreign students working for her,very strict about the 20 hours per week working rule.

Working while you are in the UK
During your stay, you will be allowed to:

work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during term-time;
work full-time during vacations;
do a work placement as part of your course;
work as a postgraduate doctor or dentist (if your course of study is a recognised Foundation Programme); and
be a student union sabbatical officer for up to two years.

OtherHalfMissin
3rd August 2011, 06:04
Thanks. I meant for My Wife, they are given 35 hours as a nursing student, but I really dont know which is which.

For now, I wanna focus on my visa, which one is the right one for me. Family visit?

scott&ligaya
3rd August 2011, 07:42
Is your wife working at Manor hospital in Walsall, I know some senior staff there some other Filipina nurses?

OtherHalfMissin
3rd August 2011, 09:07
No, it depends where they are called. Mostly nursing homes; cuz as of now they are on call-on duty. They are under the Flamelily Nursing Agency at Wolverhampton.

scott&ligaya
3rd August 2011, 09:32
ok so are they arranging her training and if so at which venueand for how long and for what diploma/certification? , I fear they may be abusing the student visa system

OtherHalfMissin
3rd August 2011, 09:37
Ill ask her for the details. Its leadership training, but related to nursing thingy.

The school is at Wave in Birmingham.

Anyway you familiar with Walsall? Shes in Scarborough. My heart is really bleeding. :(

You and your hubby Filipinos?

scott&ligaya
3rd August 2011, 10:37
Scarborough!!!

Im from Cebu, a broken broken man. My Wife went to UK last June as a working student(nurse)... in Walsall to be exact.

this is from your 1st post????

grahamw48
3rd August 2011, 11:03
Hmmm. :rolleyes:

scott&ligaya
3rd August 2011, 11:07
I have looked at Flamelily and Wave, interestingly they use Regus virtual offices for all of their "offices" and no landline numbers, they may well be legitimate and above board and have fancy websites but I have my concerns, May be they are just very cost aware and sensibly using low cost options for premises and phone numbers

scott&ligaya
3rd August 2011, 11:08
hmmm indeed Graham48 IT SEEMS TO ME that we are getting nuisance members wasting our time, what do you think Mods

scott&ligaya
3rd August 2011, 14:23
I phoned a friend and it appears I was being too pessimistic,well at least about the agency, they check out and are have framework agreements with the Govts buying solutuions group to provide agency nurses. Not sure about the Scarborough bit though

OtherHalfMissin
3rd August 2011, 16:07
Oh thanks for checking on them. The Wave school is in Birmingham if Im not mistaken.

Anyway sorry My Wife just went to UK last June. And Im confused about all these places I dont know about. Walsall, Scarborough, Wolverhampton... those 3 she always mention.

scott&ligaya
3rd August 2011, 17:06
yes Wave is in Birmingham, Wolverhampton is only 10 miles from there and Walsall is very close to Wolverhampton so that all made sense. Scarborough on the other hand is a sea side resort town on the north east coast of England, but I suppose in an emergency the agency may have sent her there or even her and some other students got a chance of cheap weekend break to go there.

Tawi2
3rd August 2011, 17:28
Walsall? Shes in Scarborough
She is going to be late for her classes and work if she is travelling twixt the 2 each day :Erm:

they are given 35 hours as a nursing student
Is this true :Erm:

leadership training, but related to nursing thingy
:Erm::Erm::Erm:

OtherHalfMissin
3rd August 2011, 23:53
yes Wave is in Birmingham, Wolverhampton is only 10 miles from there and Walsall is very close to Wolverhampton so that all made sense. Scarborough on the other hand is a sea side resort town on the north east coast of England, but I suppose in an emergency the agency may have sent her there or even her and some other students got a chance of cheap weekend break to go there.

Well its Scarborough Road, located in Walsall. Thats why. lol. Sorry for the confusion.

Transire
7th August 2011, 11:40
Those on Vocational courses are allowed to work more than 20 hrs as part of their trainning

Tawi2
7th August 2011, 11:46
Other than vocational work necessary for your degree (for architects, engineers etc) you may only work up to 20 hours per week. Accepting full-time work or setting up your own business is not allowed and you will be asked to leave the country if you do that.

Thanks for clarifiying Transire as this was total gobledeegook :icon_lol:

leadership training, but related to nursing thingy

Maria B
7th August 2011, 13:53
Hello guys. Im from Cebu, My Wife went to UK last June 14 as a working student(nurse) for 3 years. Her visa is student visa; and I heard about this student dependent where I can stay with her as long as she is there.

I got some questions though, cuz even on reading the official stuffs about it, I admit, I get confused... I really really wanna meet her again ASAP. Im really having severe depressions ever since she left...

So as of my questions...
How soon can she petition me for a student dependent visa?
Do I still need show money in bank for it or is it up to her salary?

And between student dependent and tourist visa, which is best for me? I plan to visit her on our 2nd year wedding anniversary this Nov.

MANY MANY MANY THANKS!

hello :Hellooo:otherhalfmissin.

I'm from cebu & has colleagues under student visa from different parts in the Philippines at work. They are mostly registered nurses working for agency here in the UK. They are only allowed to work 20 hrs as part of the law & before Dec 2010, Home Office cut the hrs off from 20 hrs to 18 hrs due to some students who doesnt go to work anymore & working more than 20 hrs. Philippines has been noted about it. A lot of Filipinos, some I knew where sent back home for not reporting to the school & just doing work. Some schools were not genuine & some training school were close because of this & this student are not allowed to enter UK again. I will find that link if u are interested. But u mentioned she went to Wave which is a famous training ground at Birmingham with Asians students, they have different courses & working hrs benefits allowable. As what I understand, she must be a bank staff (on call what u said). She is earning more than £6/ hr if she's working for nursing homes under agency in which agency will phone them & give them shifts to different nursing homes/ hospitals to any areas of west midlands. She might have an open agreement between her & the agency not a contract agreement. Carers who work under agency have better pay from £6.10 to £8.30....depends to the employer that the agency caters. She will earn more if she works weekends & nights. Hope this will give u an idea.

If she was lucky enough given a 35 hrs a weeks (how can she go to school working 35 hrs???? ~ working full time here is 36 hrs - 46hrs). But Yeah it's true flamelily offered 35 hrs - non term work. Mostly students problem here was they've got no work & others were force to transfer. Anyways for example, if she is earning £6/ hr, she will be receiving more or less £800 plus monthly (taxable). But the cost of living here is so high. If she lives with mates in one house, they can share the rent, food, etc. That's what mostly Filipinos in a student visa status are doing here.
Yes, they can petition their other half even children but as far as I knew, it is them who will enquire & process the papers for their loved ones. I've heard lots of stories about this but I didn't ask too much about it from them coz we can't talk too much about our personal life at work especially they only work for 20 hrs. I can only see them 3x a week or sometimes the company doesn't call any carer from the agency. Company's are very keen when it comes to no. of hrs working shifts in a week to student visa holders but Filipinos work more than 3 agencies, really killing themselves working so hard. If they are caught, I pity them when they are sent back home:NoNo:

Hope this will serve as a bit of understanding of what's going on. Sorry if I didn't answer your questions but it's for u to have an idea as well as u will never know until u are here in the UK & observe by yourself. Life is tough in here & family members doesn't understand that but I am happy working & helping any filipinos that I encountered.

Quick question: Is it u who wants to surprise her & that u wanted to pay her a visit? I knew the feeling of being separated from your loved ones but I guess u need to talk to her so that she can process all the documents & do some enquiry from here. Websites are only guidelines but sometimes we have some questions in our mind that needs some answers. U can email them if u want to. For sure less than 5 days they will reply back to u. U will be questioned if u will apply for tourist or family visa because your other half is in the UK under student visa. Why not apply under student visa as well. That's what mostly filipino couples do. But try the first option that u wanted to. Whatever that makes u happy.

For your other half, she can even upgrade her course so that she can work as a nurse (she's rn right?). But she needs to settle down with everything as u mentioned she just arrive last June? Mind u, there are a lot of them here who are lonely, homesick, hardworkers, sometimes they don't eat just to send their earnings to the family. they even got sick but they are such a wonderful people. I feel at home when I am with them. It's a shame that there are weeks that they don't have call for jobs. Especially the recession it still everywhere. How can they go to school w/o allowance in which they get it from their own hard earn money? That's why they are force to do more than 1 agencies. But Thumbs up to all pinoy workers.

By the way, I am from wolverhampton. I can phone her if u want me to or we can talk thru skype/ym. I can introduce her to my friends (student visa holders/ bisaya sab) which can help her settle down. It's up to u.

Wish u all the best & hope u can find answers on what u are looking for.
:Wave:

OtherHalfMissin
7th August 2011, 15:10
Thanks Maria B. I cant seem to PM you yet cuz Im new. Do you have Yahoo Messenger or FB? I really appreciate your help.

And yeah their school is not always, so 35 years on non-term. Their school starts Aug 25. I have other things I wanna ask/share to you if you dont mind.

Maria B
7th August 2011, 15:20
Thanks Maria B. I cant seem to PM you yet cuz Im new. Do you have Yahoo Messenger or FB? I really appreciate your help.

And yeah their school is not always, so 35 years on non-term. Their school starts Aug 25. I have other things I wanna ask/share to you if you dont mind.

:Hellooo:
pls check ur inbox
:Wave: