PDA

View Full Version : Regional accents in the UK.....................

Tawi2
3rd August 2011, 20:17
I am watching "Geordie finishing school" :laugher: I had almost forgotten how thick/strong the newcastle accent is,worse is the memory I must have sounded like that as a kid :NoNo: I remember maybe 20+ years ago chatting to a pinay who lived in sunderland,her name was angie and her husbands business was importing Romblon marble for kitchen work-tops and coffee-tables,she was actually starting to get a local accent,its odd to hear a pinay say "Why aye man" :icon_lol: I just wondered how easy do pinays find regional accents(I met a nurse in Pinas who had worked in liverpool and hated the local dialect)in the UK and do they start to pick-up the occassional phrase and word?In this area the accent is fairly cultured,no regional phrases to speak of so I havent noticed what the Pinays call "Slang" here.:Erm: Anyones woman getting a bit of a local-twang?

rusty
3rd August 2011, 20:51
We moved to Newcastle just over a year ago and I know that my wife sometimes has difficulties understanding some people from here, I'm originally from Kent and even I cant understand everyone.

Our son is turning 3 soon and will be starting pre-school so it will be interesting to see if he picks up the accent. :yikes:

grahamw48
3rd August 2011, 22:00
My step-kids came to Yorkshire when aged 7 and 9 years, and soon developed a healthy Yorkshire accent. :)

My step-daughter is now starting to sound distinctly posh though...Uni' I suppose, and different friends.

My own boy is more Yorkshire than ever I was. :NoNo:

Arthur Little
4th August 2011, 00:03
Hmm ... I left Glasgow - where I was born - at the tender age of eight. Yet, people keep telling me I haven't lost the "twang" :NoNo: even now - 58 years later!

imagine
4th August 2011, 00:12
i first came to aberdeenshire about 35 years ago, peterhead the buchan accent, i couldnt understand a word that was said, was then just like hearing a foreign language :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
4th August 2011, 00:15
My daughter, on the other hand, will be 42 in less than a couple of weeks, and - although born in Perth - moved up to Aberdeenshire in 1991 ... following four years at Glasgow University & Jordanhill College. After two decades, she's picked-up the North East of Scotland accent far more than I ever did the Perth dialect. And she is a Speech & Language Therapist by profession! :cwm24:

imagine
4th August 2011, 00:20
it was the fishermen and farmers that had what seems their own dialect,
everyone else i had no problem understanding,

Arthur Little
4th August 2011, 00:23
i first came to aberdeenshire about 35 years ago, peterhead the buchan accent, i couldnt understand a word that was said, was then just like hearing a foreign language :icon_lol:

Aye ... yer richt :D ther', Stewart ... :iagree: ... a'hye! :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
4th August 2011, 00:39
it was the fishermen and farmers that had what seems their own dialect,
everyone else i had no problem understanding,

:) Aye ... weel, ah dinna' ken muckle aboot the fishermen ... bit by Goad thur fairmers ... jings!

imagine
4th August 2011, 00:50
:) Aye ... weel, ah dinna' ken muckle aboot the fishermen ... bit by Goad thur fairmers ... jings!

:laugher::laugher::laugher: spot on

scott&ligaya
4th August 2011, 08:08
like it Stewart.... I have cousins along the Morayshire coast right from Elgin, Buckie, Cullen, Portsoy, Fraserburgh, Peterhead and Ellon, my honeys 1st meeting with a cousin in Buckie we just sort of turned up and she had been cleaning and had just finished fetching some toys from under a bed.. her opening line was fit like kwine to my mahal and aw del michty ma ganzi`s ah ooo ..... roughly translated to how are you and oh dear my jesrsey is covered in fluff..... Ligaya was completely confused and just smiled hehehehehehehe and yes Fraserburgh or the broch had an alien language all of its own LOL

Tawi2
4th August 2011, 10:52
My cousin still has a croft just west of Thurso,its a totally alien language up there,imagine a pinay trying to decipher that :NoNo: I do remember hearing of a few pinays in either the orkneys or the hebrides,cant remember where now but at the time I did think god help them :icon_lol:
I think the hardest/worst accents for them in england are either scouse which makes me cringe,or geordie,especially north shields :NoNo:

imagine
4th August 2011, 11:13
i learnt early on, not to nod my head pretending i understood :laugher:

Arthur Little
4th August 2011, 11:21
or geordie,especially north shields :NoNo:

:doh ... don't I just know it - having cousins from South Shields!!

Arthur Little
4th August 2011, 11:58
i learnt early on, not to nod my head pretending i understood :laugher:

Me bein' a bittie deef, it's affy frustratin' :23_111_9[1]: tryin' tae unnerstaun' ... wi' ma son-in-law bein' a teacher in 'the Broch'!

scott&ligaya
4th August 2011, 13:05
the Broch!! hehehehehee they even made the Trawlermen series with subtitles lol:icon_lol::icon_lol: , if your son in law teaches English he has the toughest job in the country

Arthur Little
4th August 2011, 13:10
:icon_lol: , if your son in law teaches English he has the toughest job in the country

:laugher: ... nah, Physics.

scott&ligaya
4th August 2011, 13:14
ahh a bit easier then as my namesake would say "Captain!!! ye canny change the laws of physics... the engines winny tayk it!!

Alona
4th August 2011, 19:27
anyway grahamw48....i really like york...one of my favourite place in britain hehehe
My step-kids came to Yorkshire when aged 7 and 9 years, and soon developed a healthy Yorkshire accent. :)

My step-daughter is now starting to sound distinctly posh though...Uni' I suppose, and different friends.

My own boy is more Yorkshire than ever I was. :NoNo:

Steve.r
4th August 2011, 19:40
When I worked in Saudi, the Americans on the contract thought I sounded like a pirate. If not a pirate, they thought I was an aussi :crazy:

mikey73
4th August 2011, 20:06
like it Stewart.... I have cousins along the Morayshire coast right from Elgin, Buckie, Cullen, Portsoy, Fraserburgh, Peterhead and Ellon, my honeys 1st meeting with a cousin in Buckie we just sort of turned up and she had been cleaning and had just finished fetching some toys from under a bed.. her opening line was fit like kwine to my mahal and aw del michty ma ganzi`s ah ooo ..... roughly translated to how are you and oh dear my jesrsey is covered in fluff..... Ligaya was completely confused and just smiled hehehehehehehe and yes Fraserburgh or the broch had an alien language all of its own LOL

was brought up in the 'broch' still go there every couple weeks. no-one believes that i am from aberdeenshire. i dont really have the broad doric accent. was brought up in both fishing and farming areas of the north east and have no problems understanding them, and when there i do seem to drift back into doric tongue.i have spoken to my polish staff in the doric tongue and they just look at me confused :Erm:. i sent my mahal a book on the doric langage and she is trying to learn it. she mostly just uses AYE from time to time.

imagine
4th August 2011, 21:05
anyway grahamw48....i really like york...one of my favourite place in britain hehehe

york is where my ancestry traces back to , later on to harrogate , and going by the look of my nose i think my ancesters were romans

grahamw48
4th August 2011, 21:23

It is a nice town Alona, and I suppose I am lucky to live here. :)

imagine
4th August 2011, 21:34

and theres me thinking it was a city :icon_lol:

grahamw48
4th August 2011, 21:36
:Erm: City. :xxcheeky-smiley-013

Pop in for a coffee any time you're passing...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7176/mainpichome10jj.jpg

imagine
4th August 2011, 21:54
:Erm: City. :xxcheeky-smiley-013

Pop in for a coffee any time you're passing...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7176/mainpichome10jj.jpg

a very nice country cottage:icon_lol:

Tawi2
4th August 2011, 21:57
a very nice country cottage
Looks like one of those shacks from a Tondo slum-clearance :icon_lol: The windows arent even square.

grahamw48
5th August 2011, 00:00
Looks like one of those shacks from a Tondo slum-clearance :icon_lol: The windows arent even square.

Oy ! I'll have you know I've got relations in the Tondo ! :anerikke:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/63/philtondo8ne100604mw.jpg

Alona
5th August 2011, 16:53
yeah you are very lucky to live there...i been there last month and last year and we headed to scarborough.

Tawi2
5th August 2011, 17:33
Looks like that guys enjoying his Rugby :cwm24:

-sillybilly-
6th August 2011, 15:34
Sorry mate but i have to admit that ive got an awful cockney accent. Ive been trying to change it to a mix slow american with aussie accent but it wont work. Its makes me feel that im not me.:bigcry: So i thought.. sod it why would i change it?

My asawa was so surprised when we first talked over the phone as he was not expecting a pinay with a cockney accent. Hmmm....and then we started to meet up and it was a good laugh!

I used to lived down Portsmouth and moved to north london and that my accent has made it worst.:doh

Nevermind......

stevewool
6th August 2011, 16:25
portsmouth, thats where my family are too, many a happy time there was had:xxgrinning--00xx3:

-sillybilly-
6th August 2011, 16:35
portsmouth, thats where my family are too, many a happy time there was had:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve we can go down there one weekend with Emms and Dazza...and get on the Spinnaker tower!

Arthur Little
6th August 2011, 17:40
Imagine, :rolleyes: ... I've been to the Philippines twice ... yet NEVER been to Portsmouth! :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
6th August 2011, 18:17
Sorry mate but i have to admit that ive got an awful cockney accent.

My asawa was so surprised when we first talked over the phone as he was not expecting a pinay with a cockney accent. Hmmm....

... you know, of course, WHY that is, Clarice :rolleyes:... it's all that watching Eastenders! :icon_lol:

grahamw48
6th August 2011, 19:00
'Pompey' was my dad's home port when he was in the RN, and I used to go to Cub Scouts at Waterlooville.

We used to live in a little village called 'Lovedean'. How sweet. :D

stevewool
6th August 2011, 19:35
had many a holiday in portsmouth, then they moved into the new forest yep be good to go down there clarice , but london first:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
6th August 2011, 21:03
but london first
You have good taste,London is where its happening :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
7th August 2011, 09:28
happens just as good in derbyshire, rather be here for now then london, peace and quite and what great countryside to wonder into, plus no riots here:)