PDA

View Full Version : buying a place

stevewool
7th August 2011, 17:45
if you was really intrested in buying over inthe phils, what would be the best way to buy, though a agency, on the internet or any other way, there are loads of sites on the internet and lots of properties too, i would not buy without seeing the place first but being so far away is there a right way and a wrong way of doing this, and before anyone says ask the family over there , i dont think we can do that

Terpe
7th August 2011, 17:55
Steve, there are plenty of really good threads/posts here that will give good info for you.

I have my own thoughts on this and would very strongly advise against agency, internet or any other ways.
If you and Emma cannot be there and additionally secure help from friends/family, there is a very high chance of being a victim of the many pitfalls.
I'm not just talking about scams or cheats etc, I'm talking about being sure you get the best/fairest and honest deal you can get.
My final advice would be do not allow anyone at all in the deal to know that you (white guy) are in anyway involved.

Just my 2 centavos

scott&ligaya
7th August 2011, 18:07
Steve, give me a call tomorrow and we can discuss, or meet me up on Tuesday evening for a beer at my hotel

stevewool
7th August 2011, 18:07
great advice there Terpe, and yes Emma will be the person doing all the talking seeing and bidding when the time comes i shall be behind wearing my burka

Sim11UK
7th August 2011, 18:23
great advice there Terpe, and yes Emma will be the person doing all the talking seeing and bidding when the time comes i shall be behind wearing my burka

That's funny...I laughed out loud, reading this. :laugher:

Steve.r
7th August 2011, 18:53
I cannot advise really Steve as we bought from a family friend and everything went as smoothly as a baby's bum. But for sure dont let anyone know that a white guy is involved.

Sim11UK
7th August 2011, 19:08
The wife has just bought a house, at a bargain price, but it was done through a contact...Like most things, it's who you know.

There was a bit of an upset, with the agents, after the sale went through for a couple of days, but all is okay now.

Terpe
7th August 2011, 19:35

:laugher::laugher:
Nice one steve :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
7th August 2011, 21:37
That's funny...I laughed out loud, reading this. :laugher:

thanks Sim, glad i made you laugh:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
8th August 2011, 00:08
it was said in conversation to me a while ago, that it is safer to buy a house which has been repossessed by the bank, might be worth checking out

subseastu
8th August 2011, 06:18
This is a pretty difficult thing to achieve out there in my mind Steve. I've heard stories of agents putting another 50% on top of the house price to bump up their own cut of the sale price. Its actually starting to mess with our plans to emigrate soon (next 2 years hopefully) I'm really having second thoughts because I know as soon as someone finds out I'm involved in the deal then I'll be taken for a serious ride. Same can be said for wanting to build as well, contractors will just want to :Sex: you.

Its probably best to keep looking on the net and get an idea where a house is, go to look at it (drive past a few times) then get Emma to approach the owners personally to get a veiwing, take lots of pictures so you can see it too, and see if you can negoitate without the need for agents. Of course you'll need and honest lawyer (if such a thing exsists!). Only problem with this method is you'll never really see the house till you move in and then thats when you'll see if any problems exsist with the property.

Best bet is probably find a nice house to rent, this makes life easier and you can move to a new area as and when you feel the need. Plus you can get a better feel for the areas you're thinking of moving to.

What websites do you look at? My main ones are island properties and sulit.

stevewool
8th August 2011, 08:22
thanks all, great advice and lets face it we are all experienced enough not to be caught out , we hope, 0ne of the best site i use stu is AHYER.com loads on thhere to rent , sale and differant areas too

Terpe
8th August 2011, 09:15
thanks all, great advice and lets face it we are all experienced enough not to be caught out................

No offence Steve, but how many of us have ANY experience on the twists and turns of property law and practice in Pinas? My guess is only those who have done it.
My advice is given for free based on buying 5 properties.
The bad news is that there is a lot to learn and understand. The good news is that is not difficult stuff if time is taken to learn.

subseastu
8th August 2011, 09:19
thanks all, great advice and lets face it we are all experiance enough not to be caught out , we hope, 0ne of the best site i use stu is AHYER.com loads on thhere to rent , sale and differant areas too

Cheers Steve I'll have a gander

fred
8th August 2011, 15:12
We have bought land and property here and have yet to experience any real issues..Just about every lot we have purchased has been tax declaration and we have applied for title ourselves..
My Mrs views property first and then I look on a separate visit.. We only use one lawyer..A guy I personally trust and we do all of the DENR , BIR , Town/city hall checks ourselves..
The whole process is a bit of a mine field if you dont know the ins and outs and I would definitely not buy via an agent on line..
Local agents can be OK as their commission is mostly taken from the owners proceeds..
Best to buy when you are here so that you can check out the area and see if its a place that you really wish to live..
Cheers,

Fred.