PDA

View Full Version : It’s Time to Stop the Abusive Captivation & Selling of the Poor Harmless Tokay Gecko

Maria B
8th August 2011, 03:19
Posted in Philippine National Treasures

Capturing and selling of this poor nocturnal animal, the Tokay Gecko or locally called it TUKO is now very much prevalent in Southeast Asia especially of most places in the Philippines. The local people tried to capture as many as they can and be bought to foreigners for big amount of money. Price range will depend upon their sizes and weight but eventually, the normal price value of Tokay is around Php 50,000 to Php 10,000,000. The rough estimation of prices for Tokay Geckos according to its weight: 300grams-Php 50 000; 350grams-Php 300 000; 400grams-Php 1.5 Million; 450grams-Php 2 Million; 500grams-Php 2.5 Million and 1kilo-Php 10 Million.

The Tokay Geckos whom their native habitat is in the rain-forest trees and cliffs which they are abundant in northeast India and Bangladesh, throughout Southeast Asian countries that include the Philippines. But the continuous abusive captivation of these geckos will make them becoming endangered. This poor nocturnal animal has played vital roles in our households. Tokay Geckos will tend to prevent spreading of bacteria by eating those bacteria-carrying insects before it can cause certain diseases to humans.

Some people have wrongful belief that Geckos’ tongue will treat AIDS illness and their meat will also serve as an aphrodisiac while its blood and bile suppresses tumor. Despite of the unapproved claims and scientifically tested yet, these people still have not mind the negative effects of their inhuman acts which the entire next generation will suffer. They will be no longer witnessed the actual appearance of Gecko Tokay in due time. By now, let us stop the unrightful captivation of this harmless little creature and give them a chance to enjoy life in their own simple way.

KeithD
8th August 2011, 09:26
All animals, insects, reptiles are sold, you'll never stop it. I don't really mind them being sold to breeders, but not as food/medicine :NoNo:

grahamw48
8th August 2011, 09:59
The Philippines government must stop them leaving the country (joke).

If there is no market, then there is no demand, and that's what needs to be tackled.

Sadly, greedy human beings will continue to pillage this planet until as a species we are alone and dying on it. :rolleyes:

Tawi2
8th August 2011, 18:07
Last time I caught one it gnawed into my knuckles and drew blood :Help1:

grahamw48
8th August 2011, 18:17
How much did you get for it ? ;)

Tawi2
8th August 2011, 18:20
It was before the Tokay goldrush,I caught it off the ceiling with a snare of fishing-line attached to the end of my fishing-rod tip just to show my kid one close-up,I let it go unharmed :)

grahamw48
8th August 2011, 18:22
Someone need s to learn how to breed them.

Win win situation. :)

Maria B
8th August 2011, 22:44
All animals, insects, reptiles are sold, you'll never stop it. I don't really mind them being sold to breeders, but not as food/medicine :NoNo:

agree...in every old house in the Philippines we have them. Even in trees & we just loved them. They balanced the nature & they loved eating mosquitos/ insects for their food. I missed "tuko" (in Cebuano/ Visayan) sound voice. Everytime I talked to the family via skype, they just can't help to say hi to me saying: ti ti ti tik...tuko tuko tuko. cute! lols!

Maria B
8th August 2011, 22:47
Someone need s to learn how to breed them.

Win win situation. :)

:) in my parents house in Cebu, we have tuko kingdom :D:icon_lol: & they come out every 6pm & beyond where the light bulb is & feast themselves with mosquitos for tea time :icon_lol::Wave: I love little 'tuko' sounds...;)