PDA

View Full Version : ESOL/IELTS English Test Query - Cebu City

PaulR
9th August 2011, 15:50
Hi,
I wonder if you can help/advise me? My wife is about to embark on applying for a UK Spousal Visa. I have looked on the UK Border Agency website and they have a list of "approved" test centres* within Cebu, notably CIE, who run the Cambridge ESOL. There is another school that she has looked at which is the British Council that runs the IELTS training/exam, however, I don't see them as one of the ones on the list of "approved" test centres as per UK BA. Can anyone please confirm if the IELTS would be valid? Obviously I dont want to be spending 15k on the wrong/invalid training & test.
Thanks for your assistance,
Paul

* http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

Terpe
9th August 2011, 16:45
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

The UKBA website you have listed is correct and is the latest one valid from 18 July 2011

Cambridge ESOL tests and both the test centres mentioned (CIE & British Council) are fine. I'm not sure the cost is as much as P15k, I think around P7k - P8k is more common.

IELTS would also be valid as long as it's completed at the test centres on the UKBA approved listing.
IELTS is actually at a slightly higher level, but as long as you wife is already pretty good at English then IELTS would be no problem.
If you wife struggles a little with her English she may find IELTS a bit too tricky and stretching. Quite a few on here did IELTS.

Why not give the British Council a call and discuss.

raynaputi
9th August 2011, 16:48
go to this site..they're the accredited one www.philippines.idp.com/ielts.aspx

Terpe
9th August 2011, 16:53
BTW Paul, do bear in mind that UKBA only requires a very basic level (A1) for Speaking and Listening. There is no reading or writing or grammar testing needed at all.

You may find that many test centres spread the required 'modules' over their whole course offering. Not much you can do about that, but just try to avoid spending too much on those modules you do not need (ie reading/writing or grammar )

Lady_Ivy
9th August 2011, 17:02
BTW Paul, do bear in mind that UKBA only requires a very basic level (A1) for Speaking and Listening. There is no reading or writing or grammar testing needed at all.

You may find that many test centres spread the required 'modules' over their whole course offering. Not much you can do about that, but just try to avoid spending too much on those modules you do not need (ie reading/writing or grammar )

Really Terpe?? The first test that I took was TOEIC PUBLIC Listening and Reading..They were taken together for like 3 hours..The second one was TOEIC PUBLIC Speaking and Writing..It was like 1 hour and 20 minutes.. I have also taken the TOEIC listening and reading but the UK embassy here in Thailand wont accept it..Arggg..I am confuse now..

Terpe
9th August 2011, 17:14
Really Terpe?? The first test that I took was TOEIC PUBLIC Listening and Reading..They were taken together for like 3 hours..The second one was TOEIC PUBLIC Speaking and Writing..It was like 1 hour and 20 minutes.. I have also taken the TOEIC listening and reading but the UK embassy here in Thailand wont accept it..Arggg..I am confuse now..

Why is it that the UK Embassy will not accept your English Test pass?
Did you really have your pass papers issued by an approved test centre?

TOEIC is on the UKBA listing
The approved provider is listed as ETS (Educational Testing Service)
Miniumum grade for A1 level is:-
Listening = 60
Speaking = 50

Who was your provider?
Did you reach the required grade/level?

Lady_Ivy
9th August 2011, 17:25
They said there are changes which started July 18...I took the test last July 20..Yes I got mine pass... But it was listening and reading..They go together and we were not allowed to just get the LISTENING PART ONLY.I got 460 in listening and Reading was 460 too...They said I must take that Speaking and Writing tests which were taken also together and unfortunately is scheduled once a month only and takes 10 working days to get the result..I took last Sunday......It was given by TOEIC-SERVICES THAILAND..And it was approved by ETS too..

PaulR
9th August 2011, 17:28
Hi terpe,
thanks for the reply. I don't actually see any reference IELTS on the PDF that I posted. I know they are a credible training/exam solution but obviously I want to ensure that she can use them as an "accredited" test centre. To be honest she corrects my English, it's somewhat shameful :) The 15 was the total for exam/training, just under 9k for the exam, the rest for the training. I personally don't think she needs training but I think it's about confidence as well, plus if I'd be kicking myself is she didnt attain the required level.

Terpe
9th August 2011, 17:36
Hi terpe,
thanks for the reply. I don't actually see any reference IELTS on the PDF that I posted. I know they are a credible training/exam solution but obviously I want to ensure that she can use them as an "accredited" test centre. To be honest she corrects my English, it's somewhat shameful :) The 15 was the total for exam/training, just under 9k for the exam, the rest for the training. I personally don't think she needs training but I think it's about confidence as well, plus if I'd be kicking myself is she didnt attain the required level.

Paul,
Look to page 8 on the PDF link you have ----IELTS is there.

Personally I tend to agree that if you have the budget a quick training update will do wonders for the confidence.

raynaputi
9th August 2011, 17:37
Hi PaulR..I just passed the IELTS exam in the accredited test center i posted above..you may want to read the thread filipinaroses.com/forum/showthread.php/32417-Ielts.....?p=305285#post305285 and i can honestly say the exam was easy..

Terpe
9th August 2011, 17:46
They said there are changes which started July 18...I took the test last July 20..Yes I got mine pass... But it was listening and reading..They go together and we were not allowed to just get the LISTENING PART ONLY.I got 460 in listening and Reading was 460 too...They said I must take that Speaking and Writing tests which were taken also together and unfortunately is scheduled once a month only and takes 10 working days to get the result..I took last Sunday......It was given by TOEIC-SERVICES THAILAND..And it was approved by ETS too..

The UKBA requires Speaking and Listening.
If you have a pass for a module called "listening & reading" you must now have a pass for speaking and writing.
That way you will comply with the requirement of UKBA for pass of Speaking and Pass of Listening. OK?
When did you take the speaking and writing test?

Lady_Ivy
9th August 2011, 17:55
Last August 6 only, Saturday here in Bangkok...I was wrong when I said Sunday :) I'm still waiting for the result. Thanks Terpe..When I read your comment I thought it was listening and reading..Argghh..so that means i dont need to take the S and W but when I looked at it again it was Listening and Speaking...Hehhe..I am just waiting for this exam result and I will be ready to apply hopefully on Aug 22 there in Manila..

Terpe
9th August 2011, 18:04
..I am just waiting for this exam result and I will be ready to apply hopefully on Aug 22 there in Manila..

Yep, you'll be all set to go :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Good Luck

Lady_Ivy
9th August 2011, 18:10
Yep, you'll be all set to go :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Good Luck

Thank you but I will pass it without my Thai police clearance yet as it will be released on the 24th...But its not on the list anyway..I just asked them to courier it to me so I can show the visa people if they will look for it...

PaulR
9th August 2011, 18:22
Hi Terpe, raynaputi (soory I missed ur post :) )
Yep I was looking at the "Awarded By" rather than the "English Language Test" duh, brilliant and thank you so much. Incidentally I guess most people do their own applications here? I mean rather than having some agency do it? I've read the requirements and as long as you have all the necessaries (formal docs, prove that its a subsiting relationship, YM, Skype logs etc) all is achievable?

Oh yea PS, my wife, sweetest girl Ive ever met :D Been together a year, got married in Beach resort in Lapu*2, can't wait for her to come here.

Again, thanks, sure I'll be asking more questions :) Thank you so much for the support/quick responses

raynaputi
9th August 2011, 18:29
you would always find that agencies would rip you off when all they would do is gather the documents which they would get if from you anyway..so as long as you have the necessary documents, you can do the process yourself. :D

Terpe
9th August 2011, 18:31
Duplicated post

chino
23rd August 2011, 11:21
where is the best place for some training before the test as i find P8K a bit expensive for just a basic test...