PDA

View Full Version : are traditional sunday dinners going out the window.

branno
13th August 2011, 20:22
with all the cultural significance of this weeks riots with the white chav and the black gansta community..are we atlast going to have a merging society.. where black and white comes to gether in one pot..
will we get a new recipe for a traditional sunday roast beef..and yorkshire pudding... ie roast beef and yorkshire pudding with pawpaw,okra,and sweet potatoes drizzled in a jerk goat meat stock... :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
13th August 2011, 20:26
Why not, the nations favorite dish is Chicken Tikka Masala .......and chips

Moy
13th August 2011, 20:38
or sweet and sour crispy beef strip with chillie:D

branno
13th August 2011, 20:42
chicken masala yorkshire pud and creamed potatoes.. sounds yummy :icon_lol:

branno
13th August 2011, 20:43
or sweet and sour crispy beef strip with chillie:D

and roast parsnips and stuffing :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
13th August 2011, 20:45
Brussel sprout adobo:omg:

Steve.r
13th August 2011, 20:49
all with lashings of mint sauce :hubbahubba:

branno
13th August 2011, 20:49
Brussel sprout adobo:omg:

drizzled in pork dripping :icon_lol:

Moy
13th August 2011, 20:51
garnish with parshley or some coriander:D

branno
13th August 2011, 21:19
and a side dish of roast dumplings made with suet ..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
13th August 2011, 21:48
All finally stir fried in Goose Fat Mmmmmmmmmmmm. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
14th August 2011, 07:09
Iam a 67 year old British man, and enjoy cooking and eating a Sunday roast meal, and my ex Filipina wife seemed to enjoy them too:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Of course it could have been becouse she was lazy and anything cooked by me was easier than her getting somthing ready:Cuckoo:

I did ask her to cook us her favourite Filipino food, but she said she prefered my roast:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mick.:)

Terpe
14th August 2011, 11:51
Carina loves a Sunday roast. She really likes yorkshire pudding and she also like gravy.
The one thing she just will not eat is Lamb.
But for me a roast shoulder of lamb with mint sauce has got to be number one.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
14th August 2011, 14:24
are traditional sunday dinners going out the window.

If you cook like me....probably YES. :icon_lol:

branno
14th August 2011, 16:19
yeahh i think lamb chops are my number one too with dollops of mint sauce and freshly chopped onions.. but i must admit lamb chops are now becomming a not so often treat as the f:censored:g price of them so soo expensive.. and my favourite winter dish has gotta be beef stew n dumps.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
14th August 2011, 16:23
Iam a 67 year old British man, and enjoy cooking and eating a Sunday roast meal, and my ex Filipina wife seemed to enjoy them too:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Of course it could have been becouse she was lazy and anything cooked by me was easier than her getting somthing ready:Cuckoo:

I did ask her to cook us her favourite Filipino food, but she said she prefered my roast:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mick.:)

she was lucky wife indeed then :laugher:but if i were your wife youll be lucky instead as everday will be like a fiesta in the table:D:Cuckoo:

Moy
14th August 2011, 16:24
yeahh i think lamb chops are my number one too with dollops of mint sauce and freshly chopped onions.. but i must admit lamb chops are now becomming a not so often treat as the f:censored:g price of them so soo expensive.. and my favourite winter dish has gotta be beef stew n dumps.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i love beef shank:D

branno
14th August 2011, 16:27
do you think that beats a ham shank :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Moy
14th August 2011, 16:36
do you think that beats a ham shank :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/03/26/bulalo-stewed-beef-shank/

that recipe will tell you of what im talking about Branno babes:D:icon_lol:

Maria B
15th August 2011, 08:47
It's really hard nowadays if both of you work...sounds boring:Cuckoo: Sometimes we end up with chinese take away or fish & chips :Rasp::cwm3:But we always catch our quality time. Yesterday, he went fishing nearby, I did housework, we weed the backyard, harvest our runner beans, roast whole chicken add some roasted potatoes, carrot, swede & boiled cauliflower & broccoli with lots of gravy....chill, watch transporter 3, feet up- with a glass of wine for me & carlings for him & then........snore :icon_lol:

branno
16th August 2011, 21:03
http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/03/26/bulalo-stewed-beef-shank/

that recipe will tell you of what im talking about Branno babes:D:icon_lol:

wot a coincidence :icon_lol: i cooked bulalo last week :Jump: but instead of the beef shank i used oxtails... deliciously tender v:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
16th August 2011, 21:30
wot a coincidence :icon_lol: i cooked bulalo last week :Jump: but instead of the beef shank i used oxtails... deliciously tender v:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You're right about the oxtails. But I just can't understand why they're so expensive these days :Erm:

branno
16th August 2011, 21:38
You're right about the oxtails. But I just can't understand why they're so expensive these days :Erm:

not only was they expensive.. but the time it took to cook, i must of consumed 3 months worth of electric :icon_lol: but sooo enjoyable.

Terpe
16th August 2011, 21:43
not only was they expensive.. but the time it took to cook, i must of consumed 3 months worth of electric :icon_lol: but sooo enjoyable.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
17th August 2011, 00:26
Branno..How did you make bulalo with oxtail??:Erm:

BoholoX
17th August 2011, 02:55
The VERY first meal I will have on return to the UK is Mother's Roast Lamb/Potatoes/Carrot & Swede with a Yorkshire Pudding filled with gravy.

Jeez, I miss that out here....

branno
17th August 2011, 20:25
Branno..How did you make bulalo with oxtail??:Erm:

with great difficulty fred, first off i cudnt find any butchers or super markets that had beef shanks.. so then i thought may be i cud substitute the beef for some thing else.. so i then googled the recipe and then i found a pinoy recipe which is in the link attached... i guess its rather like having shepperds pie or cottage pie.. ... but the difference been in the oxtail bulao theres no marrow.. but id say equally as nice..

And if u do enjoy oxtail fred.. i recommend oxtail jardinaire .. :xxgrinning--00xx3:http://www.myfilipinorecipes.com/meat/filipino-batangas-bulalo-recipe.html

Terpe
17th August 2011, 20:37
I really like oxtail. When I was much younger it was so cheap, but it's actually a very tender and tasty meat if cooked right.

Now, for a really good Caldereta (beef stew) I always use shin of beef. That's also gotten to be a little bit expensive these days but used to be so so very cheap.
Cook it long,low and slow and you'll be amazed at just how melt-in-the-mouth and tasty it can be. Just wonderful. No other cut of beef comes anywhere near.

branno
17th August 2011, 20:41
I really like oxtail. When I was much younger it was so cheap, but it's actually a very tender and tasty meat if cooked right.

Now, for a really good Caldereta (beef stew) I always use shin of beef. That's also gotten to be a little bit expensive these days but used to be so so very cheap.
Cook it long,low and slow and you'll be amazed at just how melt-in-the-mouth and tasty it can be. Just wonderful. No other cut of beef comes anywhere near.

terpe .. i dont wish to sound rude...:icon_lol: stop torturing me :icon_lol::icon_lol:

branno
17th August 2011, 20:43
cn u do a binikol too terpe ..? i quite like that too :)

Terpe
17th August 2011, 20:49
Duplicate post ...sorry

Terpe
17th August 2011, 20:50
terpe .. i dont wish to sound rude...:icon_lol: stop torturing me :icon_lol::icon_lol:

:laugher::laugher:
:egyptian:

Sorry. I do love my food.
That's what Sunday lunches are for :hubbahubba:

Terpe
17th August 2011, 20:58
cn u do a binikol too terpe ..? i quite like that too :)

I only ever had chicken binakol. Basically a chicken soup. Not bad, but not my fave for Sunday living.
I could never find a good wine to compliment it :D

My wife owned and managed a restaurant in Yokohama for quite some time. She often had Pinoy food fiesta's just for the local Pinoy communitiy. Now those were always seat fillers.

Terpe
17th August 2011, 21:04
Tonight we had mongo guisado with grilled sea-bass.

I've got to admit that I just Love mongo (stewed mung beans) . The taste is just fab.
Now my own special ingredient is to add some beansprouts. It then becomes a real Wow!!!!

It's unbelievably cheap, but what a great taste. There's easily enough for tomorrow, and guess what........it tastes even better the next day.
Normally I mop it up with fresh crusty bread instead of rice. :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

branno
17th August 2011, 21:05
:laugher::laugher:
:egyptian:

Sorry. I do love my food.
That's what Sunday lunches are for :hubbahubba:

i wish every meal cud be a sunday lunch .. but if it isnt bloody sandwhiches or cooked in under two minutes its no good.. we just dont have that mediteranean or asian out look on family meal times.. we move to fast and want every thing then and there.. i think its time to slow lifes pace down a little or rather a bloody lot and start enjoying those lovely 2 hour lbreak fasts 2 hour lunches and 3 hour evening meals..:xxgrinning--00xx3: oops i guess that may rule out working for a living ha ha or going continental :icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
17th August 2011, 21:19

yes it has changed,...when my husband married a filipina:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

he got the best of both dishes :Rasp:

Terpe
17th August 2011, 21:33

yes it has changed,...when my husband married a filipina:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

he got the best of both dishes :Rasp:

Now that is very true, and to which I am thankful and consider myself lucky :xxgrinning--00xx3:
:REDancedancer08:

branno
17th August 2011, 21:36
Now that is very true, and to which I am thankful and consider myself lucky :xxgrinning--00xx3:
:REDancedancer08:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
18th August 2011, 17:37
its hard to have a sunday dinner now, i remember my mum cooking for all of us so hard it was for her, i would rather just site when we want and eat what we want too:)

branno
18th August 2011, 20:31
I only ever had chicken binakol. Basically a chicken soup. Not bad, but not my fave for Sunday living.
I could never find a good wine to compliment it :D

My wife owned and managed a restaurant in Yokohama for quite some time. She often had Pinoy food fiesta's just for the local Pinoy communitiy. Now those were always seat fillers.
:xxgrinning--00xx3: ill try n get a pungtod recipe for binikol :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
18th August 2011, 22:55
Hmm :rolleyes: ... ARE traditional Sunday dinners "going out the window" ?

:anerikke: ... don't know, really :NoNo: ... since we tend to go to McDonalds for Sunday 'lunch'.

But one thing's for sure ... this COUNTRY'S definitely "going to the dogs !!!" :puppykisses: :puppykisses: :puppykisses:

branno
19th August 2011, 20:30
Carina loves a Sunday roast. She really likes yorkshire pudding and she also like gravy.
The one thing she just will not eat is Lamb.
But for me a roast shoulder of lamb with mint sauce has got to be number one.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

complimented with disgustinly nice roast potatoes.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
19th August 2011, 21:49
complimented with disgustinly nice roast potatoes.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cooked in goose fat :hubbahubba:

Travellor
24th August 2011, 16:09
I can eat filipino food everyday, but sunday roast can't be beat

Piamed
24th August 2011, 16:54
with all the cultural significance of this weeks riots with the white chav and the black gansta community..are we atlast going to have a merging society.. where black and white comes to gether in one pot..
will we get a new recipe for a traditional sunday roast beef..and yorkshire pudding... ie roast beef and yorkshire pudding with pawpaw,okra,and sweet potatoes drizzled in a jerk goat meat stock... :icon_lol:
Sounds tasty! let's throw in some jollof rice and cornbread with Thai-style steamed seabass.

branno
26th August 2011, 20:56
Sounds tasty! let's throw in some jollof rice and cornbread with Thai-style steamed seabass.

sounds delightful :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Maria B
27th August 2011, 09:35
Tonight we had mongo guisado with grilled sea-bass.

I've got to admit that I just Love mongo (stewed mung beans) . The taste is just fab.
Now my own special ingredient is to add some beansprouts. It then becomes a real Wow!!!!

It's unbelievably cheap, but what a great taste. :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

I cooked it here in the UK and my husband loves it too. I used fried pork (or fish/chicken) & sometimes I put some coconut milk. magnifiko!:Wave:

:Wave:

Maria B
27th August 2011, 09:59
some of the things that I cooked in the uk & my hubby loves it...
chicken sotanghon soup for rainy days
beef steak in Filipino Style (bistek tagalog) on a weekdays...
take away on a busy/ lazy days (fish& chips or chinese take away too)
in some other days beef steak with veges
roast pork on a sunday
fresh tomato soup w/ muli-seeded bread & mixd fruits from last night

:Wave:

Terpe
27th August 2011, 11:02
:hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Well except for the KFC :Cuckoo:

Maria B
27th August 2011, 11:05
:icon_lol::icon_lol:yes except with the take-aways...it's my pregnancy cravings:Cuckoo::Rasp:

scott&ligaya
30th August 2011, 17:53
well more like sunday dinner as we tend to be out in the day, but prep the veggies and set the timer on a beef roast or chicken, get the cassava cake ready and come into that lovely ccoking smell , we both enjoy wine so something approprate for the food and off we go, keeping the little ones on station long enough can be a problem though hehehehee.

I am lucky that Ligaya worked for Chinese, Malay and English families in Singapore and Hong Kong so can cook many cuisines. My personal favourite is still Malaysian beef rendang and roti... yummy although we used to love visiting the "cook yourself at the table" Korean barbacue buffets.... all you can eat for about £7 each..

Terpe
30th August 2011, 20:40
Scott, you're making me hungry. And so jealous.

:omg: Beef Rendang, one of my all time favourites.
When I lived in KL I would eat this nearly every other day.
When we cook at home we always use Aberdeen Angus shin beef. If you can get it just try it, wonderful every time. BTW I reckon it's probably the best beef for calderetta, cooks down a real treat for an ultra-soft and tasty beef.

With wines I've always been a big fan of French wine, but recently I've discovered something special. Fetzer Valley Oaks White Zinfandel Rosé from California and available at Waitrose. Well worth trying, and goes really great with SE Asian foods especially with those extra spicy dishes.

:hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Terpe
30th August 2011, 20:44
Wait, I nearly forget the Korean BBQ.
When we lived in Japan we would often eat 'Yakiniku' , Korean BBQ, and we loved it.
All sorts of thinly sliced meats with sauce and a shredded cabbage with a wonderful light sauce.
We haven't eaten that since we left Japan, but if you know a place please share to us. We would definitely travel 100's of miles to experience that Korean BBQ again.
Pleeeeeeeeeze share :xxgrinning--00xx3:

branno
30th August 2011, 20:47
Scott, you're making me hungry. And so jealous.

:omg: Beef Rendang, one of my all time favourites.
When I lived in KL I would eat this nearly every other day.
When we cook at home we always use Aberdeen Angus shin beef. If you can get it just try it, wonderful every time. BTW I reckon it's probably the best beef for calderetta, cooks down a real treat for an ultra-soft and tasty beef.

With wines I've always been a big fan of French wine, but recently I've discovered something special. Fetzer Valley Oaks White Zinfandel Rosé from California and available at Waitrose. Well worth trying, and goes really great with SE Asian foods especially with those extra spicy dishes.

:hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

may i add some gemlik olives as a compliment to ur wine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
30th August 2011, 21:01
may i add some gemlik olives as a compliment to ur wine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Branno, I've recently learnt to trust your advice, so will try these.
I already 'googled' and see they are black olives from Turkey. I'm really not fond of black olives but will look for these and give them a try.
Thanks for the heads-up.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

branno
30th August 2011, 21:26
Branno, I've recently learnt to trust your advice, so will try these.
I already 'googled' and see they are black olives from Turkey. I'm really not fond of black olives but will look for these and give them a try.
Thanks for the heads-up.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

i guess recently is better the never :icon_lol::icon_lol: cheers terpe. :action-smiley-081:

Terpe
30th August 2011, 21:30
i guess recently is better the never :icon_lol::icon_lol: cheers terpe. :action-smiley-081:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Your a good guy branno :icon_lol::icon_lol: