PDA

View Full Version : Filipina Domestic Helper tries for residency in Hong Kong

Manila_Paul
22nd August 2011, 14:34
What a disgraceful situation. 25 years in the country, working away, and they still won't give residency. Hope she wins!

----

http://mb.com.ph/articles/331661/hk-tackles-ofw-case

HONG KONG (AFP) – Hong Kong on Monday began hearing a Philippine domestic helper’s legal bid for permanent residency in the city, in a highly divisive landmark case that has sparked heated debate.

Rights activists have said a successful legal challenge will be a first in Asia, and a recognition of rights and equality for domestic workers, who are mainly from labor-exporting nations like the Philippines and Indonesia.

The case of Evangeline Banao Vallejos, a Filipina maid who has lived and worked in Hong Kong since 1986, has seen newspapers debate the rights and wrongs of the case for weeks.

Several people have been arrested for public order offenses after supporters and protesters clashed over the issue.

Vallejos launched the legal battle last year after her attempts for permanent residency – which allows a person to vote and gives them better access to public services – were denied by the city’s immigration authorities.

Vallejos’ lawyers said in opening arguments that the authorities’ refusal to grant her permanent residency was discriminatory and unconstitutional.

“There is no criteria (in the Constitution) that any group must satisfy certain higher standards,” counsel Gladys Li told the High Court, which was packed with journalists, lawyers, and activists.

“There is no exclusion based on race, religion, nationality... or place of birth,” Li added.

Under Hong Kong’s Basic Law, the city’s mini-Constitution, non-citizens are entitled to permanent residency if they have “ordinarily resided” in the city for a continuous seven years.

The immigration laws, however, specifically exclude the 292,000 foreign domestic helpers in the city as they are not considered to be ordinarily resident.

The case, which is expected to be heard for two days, has prompted a series of debates, with critics saying that if the court rules in favor, it will open up the floodgates to thousands of foreign maids to apply for residency.

The biggest pro-government party warned there would be an influx of as many as 500,000 people – including children and spouses of foreign maids – and it would cost an extra HK$25 billion ($3.2 billion) in social welfare spending.

The Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong said any immigration would come at the expense of local workers and forecast unemployment could jump from the current 3.5 percent to 10 percent

Tawi2
22nd August 2011, 16:03
I lived in Honkers for four and a half years,over a hundred thousand pinays worked there back then,Honkers didnt give residency to any and probably wont to this lady otherwise it will oepn the floodgates for claims :Erm:

grahamw48
22nd August 2011, 21:11
Still have my temporary resident's' card. :)

It's blatant discrimination against the Filipinas, but that won't change anything.

A bit rich considering that the majority of Chinese Hong Kong residents come from immigrant stock themselves...and in the greater scheme of things, fairly recently at that.

Tawi2
23rd August 2011, 11:40
I still have my ID card somewhere :Erm: The one time I didnt carry it in Wanchai I was locked up for around 18 hours :Help1:

grahamw48
23rd August 2011, 11:46
Well that's what happens when you get drunk and misbehave. :icon_lol:

Tawi2
23rd August 2011, 20:13
Well that's what happens when you get drunk
Drunk on cola or orange juice maybe :icon_lol: It was a bit of a scuffle involving my friend and a guy,caught up in the heat of the moment sort of thing,guilt by association ;)

georgecombey
25th August 2011, 15:52
The same matters happens in some middle-eastern countries like Saudi Arabia.

grahamw48
25th August 2011, 15:55
Yes, amazing what the rest of the 'civilised' world overlooks when you have vast oil resources. :rolleyes: