PDA

View Full Version : GCSE results 2011: quarter of exams graded an A

KeithD
25th August 2011, 09:57
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8720988/GCSE-results-2011-quarter-of-exams-graded-an-A.html
:NoNo: What a joke. This just makes them worthless, and those that are ultra-intelligent basically have their grade watered down so more can fit in the 'A' bracket. :doh Exams are supposed to filter people into levels of ability. It's been proven that if an 'A' student sat the same level of exam they had in the early 90's they would only get a B or C.

No wonder businnes sticks with employing older experienced people.

Arthur Little
25th August 2011, 12:39
:anerikke: ... alas MY passes were all 'C's when I sat some Scottish Highers & an "O" Grade as a mature student in my 30s during the mid 1970s. Never did me any good career wise :NoNo: ... but I suppose I'd at least had the satisfaction of knowing I'd managed to "scrape through" in each of them. ;)

johncar54
25th August 2011, 13:02
I remember one time when I was a police officer (DCI) going with a Commander and a Det Chief Superintendent to give a presentation to the Senior Command Course (Supt and Chief Supt high flyers). Having a coffee before we went in we realised that we only had a couple of 'O' levels between us and two of them were 'O' woodwork !!!

Arthur Little
25th August 2011, 13:16
I remember one time when I was a police officer (DCI) going with a Commander and a Det Chief Superintendent to give a presentation to the Senior Command Course (Supt and Chief Supt high flyers). Having a coffee before we went in we realised that we only had a couple of 'O' levels between us and two of them were 'O' woodwork !!!

Yes ... academic qualifications weren't so essential back in OUR generation, John ... plain commonsense being the most important attribute. :)

grahamw48
25th August 2011, 14:53
In hideshight, I stink I was disconnectdick. :cwm3:

KeithD
25th August 2011, 17:36
:anerikke: ... alas MY passes were all 'C's

That'll be classed as all A's today :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
25th August 2011, 18:09
That'll be classed as all A's today :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Correction should read Grade A - A Levels