28th August 2011, 09:05
I'm not of this world :Cuckoo:

stevewool
28th August 2011, 09:57
i am married to emmaruth manilli ramos, thats what makes me different

Steve.r
28th August 2011, 09:57
What makes you different from 60 billion other people?☺☺

Getting grumpy at reading lots of first questions with no answers from the original poster :crazy:

im_a_filipina
28th August 2011, 10:51
ah ok then i wont post anymore questions .. :|

grahamw48
28th August 2011, 11:08
ah ok then i wont post anymore questions .. :|

It's ok.:)

Your questions have been interesting and have created some great threads. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Makes up for lazy people like me who don't bother to ask questions or create something new.:cwm3:

Steve.r
28th August 2011, 11:22
:icon_lol: you see, i'm just grumpy :icon_lol:

stevewool
28th August 2011, 11:23
grumpy steve R not steve w or steve c

Steve.r
28th August 2011, 11:32
grumpy steve R not steve w or steve c not for long though Yipppppeeeeeeeee 3 days, 22 hours and 28 minutes to go :Jump::Jump::Jump:

im_a_filipina
28th August 2011, 11:37
Thank you graham :) :hugx: :thankyou:

Steve.r
28th August 2011, 11:44

Ok, so what is your unique skill :)

stevewool
28th August 2011, 12:01
wow i am jealous steve,

grahamw48
28th August 2011, 12:04
I can talk like Donald Duck.

Getting worried now that I even talk to myself like that .:Erm:

Steve.r
28th August 2011, 12:15
I can talk like Donald Duck.

Getting worried now that I even talk to myself like that .:Erm:
:icon_lol:When I read your posts from now on I will imagine you saying it in that voice, how can I take that seriously now :laugher: quack!!!

sweetnote143
28th August 2011, 12:22
:icon_lol: it would be nice to hear someone talk like Donald Duck :laugher:

how about u, Jhed? what makes u different? :)

Tawi2
28th August 2011, 14:16
Experiences :)

im_a_filipina
28th August 2011, 15:49
my fingerprint? lol :laugher: :laugher:
my first name is different than anyone else in the world :) :)

Tawi2
28th August 2011, 15:51
my first name is different than anyone else in the world
So is my sons,a unique name makes someone stand out from the crowd ;)

Moy
28th August 2011, 16:06

hmm what a question lolz:omg: but ill answer you :icon_lol:
your:cwm24: DNA:Cuckoo::action-smiley-081: AND FINGERPRINTS:rolleyes: makes an individual different/ unique to other in my opinion:rolleyes:

grahamw48
28th August 2011, 18:06
Also your face-print...but not so convenient. :)

Terpe
28th August 2011, 19:06
I wish I had a unique name.
I think a unique name is a wonderful gift and arguably a great asset.

I've seen plenty of really great names in Pinas. If they are unique I don't know, but seems like many could be.
It's a super tradition, even if it sometimes make me laugh.

Not sure that a name like Honey-Boy would have been such an asset at my school.:D

Doc Alan
28th August 2011, 23:12
There are less than 7 billion people in the world today. We each have around 25,000 genes ( our genome ) which is all our hereditary information. It's encoded in DNA as the genotype. This is the blueprint or set of instructions for our characteristics. Our phenotype is our physical appearance, or how the genotype is "expressed ".
The environment - where we live, what we do - affects our phenotype, and also our personality, to make us all different.
Our DNA profile is unique, although " identical " twins ( resulting from a single fertilized egg ) do have virtually identical DNA ( genotype ). However, their phenotype is not identical and differences in appearance become more marked as they grow older.
Fingerprints ARE unique - even in " identical " twins, from birth, because of different environment in the womb ( uterus ).
Similarly, increasing use is made of facial recognition technology which is now installed in the gates of every major UK airport. People with " biometric " passports have a chip containing information about the holder's face ( part of their phenotype ). These are taken from their photo, such as distance between eyes, nose, mouth and ears. The details are checked against UK Border Agency systems.
" Personalised " medicine is the hope for the future. Knowing our unique genome could allow drugs targeted for the particular genes involved in any disease ( such as cancer ) which we might have, or be at risk of developing in the future. On the other hand, " designer babies " raises all sorts of ethical questions. But there's no doubt each of us IS unique - even if our genotypes are surprisingly similar to mice and other species !

grahamw48
28th August 2011, 23:32
But Doc, my facial bits are moving steadily in a southerly direction at a relentless pace. :cwm3:

Won't this affect these clever biometrics ?

Steve.r
29th August 2011, 00:10
I hope your skull isn't moving with it Graham. :omg:

Doc Alan
29th August 2011, 00:38
But Doc, my facial bits are moving steadily in a southerly direction at a relentless pace. :cwm3:

Won't this affect these clever biometrics ?
Eventually, yes ... which is why the passport - and photo - need renewal every few years.
There are other forms of biometric scanning, involving the eyes, the ONLY organs which remain much the same, in certain respects, throughout life. These are not so readily available, for example iris recognition - but the phenotype is truly unique, to an even greater degree than fingerprints. In times of heightened global and domestic security needs, this is not just a matter of curiosity to anatomists ! Retina recognition is also used, but can be affected by diseases.

grahamw48
29th August 2011, 01:10
Thanks Doc. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I wish they'd hurry up with those rejuvenation wonder treatments though. I'm running out of time ! :cwm3:

KeithD
29th August 2011, 09:20
Doc, it's been proven that iris scans can fail after a few years due to the changes, which is why they are not being used by the UKBA. http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727715.700-ageing-irises-could-confound-biometric-checks.html

It's still reliable as long as the data is updated on a regular basis.

Doc Alan
29th August 2011, 10:06
Doc, it's been proven that iris scans can fail after a few years due to the changes, which is why they are not being used by the UKBA. http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727715.700-ageing-irises-could-confound-biometric-checks.html

It's still reliable as long as the data is updated on a regular basis.
Of course nothing stays constant - even " identical " twins become less similar by middle age ! Many cells have to divide so we can grow new skin, blood, bone and other tissues when needed. Our unique genome may be affected by errors ( mutations ) during division, which can cause disease like cancer. Even the iris and retina are susceptible. Many, if not all, human diseases are caused by a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental factors.
Each of us is not only unique but we also change with time - our cells, bodies, and minds ! Already there are tests which claim to help predict how long we will live - if we really want them - but until we do know more about ageing the key word is moderation in all things !:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/traits/telomeres/

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/31548-Life-expectancy-do-you-really-want-to-know

grahamw48
29th August 2011, 11:34
36 years of the ageing process. :bigcry:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3551/grahamaged23.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5010/grahamj.jpg

Steve.r
29th August 2011, 11:48
I dont think you look 'old' I think our perception of age make us think we are old, as well as all the aches and pains.

Call it a look of life experience.

@ Alan,
I remember my Grandfather as he aged, his eyes changes. He had blue eyes, like me, but towards the end of his life I remember his irises has a disctinctly light blue edge on the outer circumference. What causes that ?:Erm:

Arthur Little
29th August 2011, 13:18
i am married to emmaruth manilli ramos, thats what makes me different

Ramos? :cwm24: ... is Emma by ANY chance related to the former President Ramos?

Doc Alan
29th August 2011, 13:41
Humans are good at recognising faces, so the lady with me should be easily named :xxgrinning--00xx3: ( Clue : there is another picture with her somewhere on the forum !).

Arthur Little
29th August 2011, 13:52
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3551/grahamaged23.jpg

"Dig" that 70s-style haircut, shirt and jacket lapels :cwm24: ... wao~oww!

Arthur Little
29th August 2011, 14:06
Humans are good at recognising faces, so the lady with me should be easily named :xxgrinning--00xx3: ( Clue : there is another picture with her somewhere on the forum !).

Hmm ... COULD it be the lead female vocalist from Aegis Band, I wonder? :Erm:

stevewool
29th August 2011, 14:07
Ramos? :cwm24: ... is Emma by ANY chance related to the former President Ramos?

no Arthur more like emelda marcos with the love of shoes she has:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

stevewool
29th August 2011, 14:08
well i know her but whos the bloke:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Doc Alan
29th August 2011, 14:10
I remember my Grandfather as he aged, his eyes changes. He had blue eyes, like me, but towards the end of his life I remember his irises has a distinctly light blue edge on the outer circumference. What causes that ?:Erm:
Probably a cholesterol deposit, Steve. It's common in older people and doesn't interfere with vision. In a younger person, it might be a sign of high blood cholesterol.
( The iris is the pigmented area around, and controlling the size of, the pupil, with the sclera being the outer white part of the eye. Eye colour is determined by several genes, and it's due to pigment in the iris. Albinos have no pigment in iris, hair, or skin, so the iris appears pink because of blood within it. During life the iris can change colour in certain diseases ).

Doc Alan
29th August 2011, 14:18
well i know her but whos the bloke:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Not the same as this bloke Steve ! :icon_lol:

stevewool
29th August 2011, 14:21
is that a small boat or is he a giant:yikes:

Doc Alan
29th August 2011, 14:34
is that a small boat or is he a giant:yikes:
He's been called many things, most often Darling :) , but never a giant :yikes: Of course he's unique and bears no resemblance to me :NoNo:.

KeithD
30th August 2011, 09:41
"Dig" that 70s-style haircut, shirt and jacket lapels :cwm24: ... wao~oww!

70's :cwm24: .... I thought it was the 50's :omg:

grahamw48
30th August 2011, 10:19
I was an Area Sales Manager for a music company (part of EMI) at the time, so yes I was up-to-date with the latest fashions.:1056158225: