PDA

View Full Version : A1 English Exam please help .. thank you so much

GraceAdam
29th August 2011, 07:55
Hello Guys

I am a newbie and I love this forum so much, I am glad i was able to hit his website coz it is so informative :)

anyways, I would like to ask about what is the difference between A1 English Exam and IELTS exams? can anyone help me? thank you so much.

I will be taking my A1 english exam on the 10th of September this year and I'm a bit worried because i will not be taking the 5 day course that the English Centre offered coz it's soo expensive (12,000 php) plus the test fee is expensive (9,640 php) as well, so i decided not to take their 5 day review..

so, I really don't have any idea what are the questions that they are going to throw to me. and I am afraid if I failed with that English Test I will be taking :/ please, help guys..if you tried the A1 english test please feel free to share with me your experiences.. Thank you so much

BTW, i will be taking my exam here in Cebu City (coz it's one of the requirements in Fiancee visa application)

your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much guys

Grace

Terpe
29th August 2011, 09:50
There is no such thing as an A1 English test.
A1 is a specific level
The UKBA requires applicants to pass ANY English Language test that meets or exceeds the A1 level of the European Common framework.

There are a number of different tests that can be taken, and a number of Approved Providers and test-centres but they must be on the UKBA approved listing to support a visa application.

Hope that helps.
By the way which test are you booked for on the 10th of September?
Did you confirm it's on the UKBA approved listing?

Please look here for the new approved listing from UKBA for providers of English language courses and tests:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

GraceAdam
29th August 2011, 11:02
thank you Terpe i really appreciate your comment

yes i will be taking the exam in Theodolite Training Group UK INC.

I guess it's approved by UKBA because the agency sent that one to me since I am in Cebu so i chose that English Centre. but I am worried coz i read in some threads here that its not included anymore.. wahhhh I payed already and it was indeed expensive :/

lastlid
29th August 2011, 11:04
Grace Adam
My wife took the TOEIC test in Manila. It too is on the UKBA approved list. We were able to find example tests online for the TOEIC test that she used for practice. So you may find, if you do a search, that you will find example of the IELTS test that you can use for practice.

By the way, my wife really was convinced she would fail. But in the end she passed quite comfortably.

lastlid
29th August 2011, 12:16
Another thing Grace Adam,

It was a bit confusing with TOEIC as the pass marks for the A1 level are actually quite low ( I dont know if it is the same with IELTS ). So when my wife did the practice tests they seemed quite hard, but she didnt need to score very highly to get the all important A1 result. I seem to recall only 12 % required on one test and 25% on the other. If you see what I mean.

She didnt do any workshops except one day practicing papers at the test centre which was an extra charge - no real tuition.

Terpe
29th August 2011, 12:56
thank you Terpe i really appreciate your comment

yes i will be taking the exam in Theodolite Training Group UK INC.

I guess it's approved by UKBA because the agency sent that one to me since I am in Cebu so i chose that English Centre. but I am worried coz i read in some threads here that its not included anymore.. wahhhh I payed already and it was indeed expensive :/

The UKBA approved listing that I included for you is a listing for providers of English language courses and tests. It does not list all the test centres.

I strongly advise you to double check with Theodolite exactly WHICH test you will be taking and WHO is the PROVIDER.
Both the test and the provider MUST be approved by UKBA.

Theodolite should not just say A1 English Test, you need to know the correct name.

GraceAdam
29th August 2011, 14:38
Hello Lastlid

Thank you so much for the infos you gave to me :) it is indeed very helpful. I really appreciate it.. I will just look on youtube about it so i have an idea :)

lastlid
29th August 2011, 14:41
Grace, judging by your english at the top of the thread, you should be fine, by the way.

GraceAdam
29th August 2011, 14:45
Hello Terpe,

thank you so much for your comments.

this is their website and its written that they are an Approved one by UKBA.

http://www.theodolite-training.com/index.html

Dedworth
29th August 2011, 15:43
Hello Terpe,

thank you so much for your comments.

this is their website and its written that they are an Approved one by UKBA.

http://www.theodolite-training.com/index.html

I can't see where it says that they Theodilite are approved by the UKBA it states

http://www.theodolite-training.com/english/images/test.png

Could be a play on words in that it may be possible to take the approved test with another approved outfit in Cebu or Bohol

raynaputi
29th August 2011, 19:51
hhmmm...:Erm: something's weird...when VFS sent me the list of approved English test centers, they sent me this document which included Theodolite..

but from UKBA, it's this document I got..

but I think you should follow the list from UKBA to be sure..

Terpe
29th August 2011, 20:02
Based on all the information provided by howerd on this forum, and based on the apology and admission of Theodolite on this forum, I strongly suggest to double-check the test name and the provider against the UKBA approved listing which became effective 18 July 2011.
I don't have any 'axe to grind'
Just that it's a lot of money at stake, both for the English test and especially for the Visa Application.

lastlid
29th August 2011, 20:27
hhmmm...:Erm: something's weird...when VFS sent me the list of approved English test centers, they sent me this document which included Theodolite..

but from UKBA, it's this document I got..

but I think you should follow the list from UKBA to be sure..

Thats funny Raynaputi because the first one looks right to me. I went through all this way back in June when they were in the middle of changing over their approved centres and it was a nightmare! I will spare you with the long story.

Eventually in early July my wife applied to Hopkins Manila and has since passed the TOEIC test at A1 level. The list at the top of your post was the one that I worked from and I personally phoned all on there except Theodolite (because it is in Cebu) to ensure they were all approved test centres.

raynaputi
29th August 2011, 20:33
Well, like I said, people taking English test should just follow the list from UKBA since it's the latest one.. :xxgrinning--00xx3: I think the VFS hasn't updated their list yet..but the weird thing is why aren't they getting their documents from UKBA? :Erm:..it would just mislead the applicants since they're sending it thru email. :doh

Terpe
29th August 2011, 20:44
Well, like I said, people taking English test should just follow the list from UKBA since it's the latest one.. :xxgrinning--00xx3: I think the VFS hasn't updated their list yet..but the weird thing is why aren't they getting their documents from UKBA? :Erm:..it would just mislead the applicants since they're sending it thru email. :doh

Your spot on rayna!!
I checked VFS site also, and it's not updated.
How odd!!

lastlid
29th August 2011, 20:47
............but the weird thing is why aren't they getting their documents from UKBA? :Erm:..it would just mislead the applicants since they're sending it thru email. :doh

I agree. You just wouldnt believe what I came across in June with all of this, though. Countless calls to VFS and UKBA. It really has has improved a lot since June!

Dedworth
29th August 2011, 21:37
Your spot on rayna!!
I checked VFS site also, and it's not updated.
How odd!!

Just goes to show what dubious, inefficient, profit driven contractors the UK Government sub these services out to. Bring back British Rail :D

Terpe
29th August 2011, 21:43
.......... Bring back British Rail :D

Ah, I fear it's all too late now Dedworth, but in principle great strategy.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

GraceAdam
31st August 2011, 05:18
thank you so much Terpe, Lastlid, Dedworth and raynaputi for all your comments :)

I really appreciate it.

More power to FilipinoUK forums :)

Grace

jon richard
4th September 2011, 04:40
hi everyone:Wave::Wave:
As we speak I am sitting here in Taguig City trying to follow the links that include VFS and UKBA.........................attempting to book an english test for Darlene...............and I may as well be on the moon
so i will try the Hopkins and TOEIC tips and no doubt be rewarded

lastlid
4th September 2011, 07:17
............so i will try the Hopkins and TOEIC tips and no doubt be rewarded

Yes. My wife used Hopkins and TOEIC in July. It worked well. They were friendly and helpful etc. She also took advantage of the one day workshop that focussed on the format of the exam, which she found useful and they worked through some previous test papers. And importantly they are approved by the UKBA