PDA

View Full Version : C.n.i

andy222
5th September 2011, 16:43
Maybe this question has been asked on another post. Appologies i am new here. I have got my CNI from here in the uk. Now i have to go to the embassy in phils. The question i want to ask is: Does this cover me when we go to apply for our marriage licence. My fiance says i need a cenomar from her place as well. Im confused now. Please help.

sars_notd_virus
5th September 2011, 16:49
yes, you need to exchange your CNI for the local version with the British Embassy in Manila or Cebu

andy222
5th September 2011, 16:49
Sorry this may be the wrong place for this question.

sars_notd_virus
5th September 2011, 16:52
Sorry this may be the wrong place for this question.

wot do u mean?

andy222
5th September 2011, 16:53
Thanks for the response but i already have a appointment with the embassy in manila. When we apply for a marriage licence in her registry office on her island do i need a cenomar from her place as well?

jonnijon
5th September 2011, 16:56
She needs the cenomar not you

andy222
5th September 2011, 16:58
Thats what I thought jonjon. Thanks. I will kill her.:D

sars_notd_virus
5th September 2011, 16:58
you said you have a CNI issued from the uk, you need to exchange it to british embassy manila for the local version...then you can apply to the registry office for marriage and give them the local version of your CNI which you obatin with the British embassy in manila.

sars_notd_virus
5th September 2011, 17:03
Thats what I thought jonjon. Thanks. I will kill her.:D

phew thanks jonijon !!
lol dont kill yer gf andy, , confusion and stress really happens to us females sometimes:icon_lol:

andy222
5th September 2011, 17:04
ok thats all in hand our appointment with the embassy in manila has been finalised. Thanks for your help. I hope i get the local on the same day or there will be trouble.

andy222
5th September 2011, 17:07
phew thanks jonijon !!
lol dont kill yer gf andy, , confusion and stress really happens to us females sometimes:icon_lol:

She gets me so confused sometimes. doh. Im happy i found this site you guys know what your talking about.:D

mary_drew
5th September 2011, 17:20
phew thanks jonijon !!

:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

mary_drew
5th September 2011, 17:24
wot do u mean?

sars_notd_virus, i think he posted his thread on celebration :D

mary_drew
5th September 2011, 17:26
ok thats all in hand our appointment with the embassy in manila has been finalised. Thanks for your help. I hope i get the local on the same day or there will be trouble.

yea you will get the local version on the same day :). when hubby and i went there to exchange his cni, i think it only took us about 30mins-1hr.

andy222
5th September 2011, 17:29
Hi mary drew thats correct. Thanks. Dont confuse me anymore stressed out already.:D

Arthur Little
5th September 2011, 17:42

No, Andy :NoNo: ... it's UNLIKELY you'll be able to complete the exchange on the same day.

T'was possible once upon a time - before think! :rolleyes:] July this year - but not now, I'm afraid.

Arthur Little
5th September 2011, 17:52
I will kill her.:D

:D ... she won't be much use to you if she's dead!

andy222
5th September 2011, 17:52
Great! We will see. It says on the website if all the papers are in order we dont have to go back. But we will see.:rolleyes:

raynaputi
5th September 2011, 18:02
sars_notd_virus, i think he posted his thread on celebration :D

Don't worry, I already moved it to UK Visa/British Citizenship folder :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
5th September 2011, 18:06
Great! We will see. It says on the website if all the papers are in order we dont have to go back. But we will see.:rolleyes:

We were there in June and it took 2 days. One to drop off the UK CNI, and one to pick up the local CNI.

mary_drew
5th September 2011, 18:20
No, Andy :NoNo: ... it's UNLIKELY you'll be able to complete the exchange on the same day.

T'was possible once upon a time - before think! :rolleyes:] July this year - but not now, I'm afraid.

Hi Sir Arthur! :Wave:

We just exchanged hubbys CNi for local version on 21st July 2011. dont know if its changed again? :Erm:

First time we've been there we weren't able to exchange it as there's new policy that you have to make an appointment first. So we made an appointment and brought the required documents(original and photocopies) posted on their website. Upon entry and checking of docs we got the local version of CNi on the same day. I think it only took us about 1hour.

andy222
5th September 2011, 19:09
Thanks for moving the post ray.:doh

steve monty
5th September 2011, 19:28
It does look like they have changed it again! :rolleyes:

It does seem to be that you can get the local CNI the same time as long as you have all the documents.

http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-the-philippines/how-to-apply-for-a-cni/

Look at the related documents on the right hand side headed CNI requirement_2011 june

I hope this link is ok to post, will be helpful to others as now you have to book an appointment, which was never the case before.

andy222
5th September 2011, 19:39
yes steve i happened to check on the site in august and noticed it. Our appointments on the 27th september. And fly to her place on the 28th to apply for the marriage licence. Any slip ups and we are done for. Wait 10 days for the licence then off to boracay for the wedding. I hope.:rolleyes:.

lastlid
5th September 2011, 20:47
Yep. We had all of our ducks lined up perfectly. But any slipups or delays would have disrupted our plans. It was only in June, and we didnt have to make an appointment, it was optional. But they made it clear that they couldnt release the local CNI on the same day.

Coincidentally we went to Boracay for our honeymoon for 5 days. Boracay Regency. Wonderful.

Maria B
5th September 2011, 21:00
She needs the cenomar not you

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

steve monty
5th September 2011, 21:00
Good luck to you Andy! I hope all goes well for you!! :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

What a setting for the Wedding to get married in Boracay, nice! Is it a beach wedding?

I got married in December 2010 and just went to the embassy and had to come back the next day, no appointment. How times have changed. The rules were totally different 6 months before I went, you were able to pick up the same day.

They have changed it for the better. I never unerstood why you had to wait a day to pick up? Obviously we were checked in the UK for no marriage when we applied for CNI in the UK. Also our wife were checked out by the NSO when she got the CENOMAR. So why wait? :Erm: no need to check as it was done for them.

Terpe
5th September 2011, 21:38
Hi there Andy, welcome here.
You will always receive the best information here from members who have actually done exactly what you are going to embark upon, and give their own experience.

I'm sure if you stay around you will be able to place yourself in the best possible position for success. Hopefully as you progress up the learning curve you will be able to 'give-back' some of your own experiences to update and inform the members.

Regarding the CNI, I'm sure you already knew this (but better safe than sorry) the validity is 3 months from date of UK issue.

How long do you intend to remain in Philippines?

andy222
6th September 2011, 07:51
Thanks terpe yes i will learn a lot from the guys on here and i will help if i can. I know about the 3 month rule. The funny thing was when i went to apply for my CNI the registra repeatedly told me. We aree doing what we can for you but what happens over in the philippines is nothing to do with us. I found that strange. Maybe he was just covering his back. Arthur you must go to boracay paradise mate. Thats where I proposed to my gf. On a balcony in the MGM ONE. Ok Im a softie.:D

lastlid
6th September 2011, 09:12
It is worth pointing out that they do say that it can take longer to exchange your UK CNI for a local one at the embassy. Or, at least, in June they said that. But I think that would be unusual. Worth bearing in mind if you are on a tight schedule....we left a blank day in between, just in case....

andy222
6th September 2011, 09:51
I know lastlid I would have done that too but with my work situation they would only allow me 4 weeks off. And thats for everything.

Terpe
6th September 2011, 10:44
I know lastlid I would have done that too but with my work situation they would only allow me 4 weeks off. And thats for everything.

It's do-able if you are organised and get all your 'ducks-lined-up'. Don't forget after you apply for the marriage license there is a mandatory 10 day waiting period while the marriage banns are published

You might also be requested to attend the "Marriage Seminar" counseling sessions prior to being allowed to be married. Check and ask when you apply for the marriage license

Your fiancée will need:-
CENOMAR - from the NSO
Birth certificate - This should be fresh from NSO on latest type of security paper. Check this
Passport or other appropriate identification

Always take extra time to very carefully and very thoroughy check and read through all paper work at each step before signing anything. If there are any typing errors/mistakes/mismatches it can cost you dear in time and money.

Hot Tip
Always smile and always remain relaxed, calm and cool.

andy222
6th September 2011, 10:54
Thanks terpes all the documentation is in place now i.e
My cni
she has got her cenomar.
Its just the schedule thats worrying.

lastlid
6th September 2011, 11:01
Same for me. I left the UK knowng that the plans could crater quite easily. I had maxed out my potential leave for 2011. Even as I landed in Manila there was a typhoon raging. :omg:
But, thank god, it all fell into place. The only down side was that the weather in Boracay wasnt so good....but we did get everything done. And our driver got a ticket for driving up a one way street trying to avoid the flooding. :)

andy222
6th September 2011, 11:12
Like you said you got there and good luck to you both. I will keep you updated on whats happening. Im paranoid now I keep looking at the websites to see if there is any changes hahaha. My future wife amazes me all she keeps saying is everything will be ok.

lastlid
6th September 2011, 11:16
My future wife amazes me all she keeps saying is everything will be ok.

Yes. My wife has a similar outlook.......So I know what you mean.

andy222
6th September 2011, 11:23
She drives me mad at times. She is that laid back its a wonder she dont fall over.:laugher::laugher:;.

Terpe
6th September 2011, 11:42
She drives me mad at times. She is that laid back its a wonder she dont fall over.:laugher::laugher:;.

After a week in Phils I tend to fall into that mode. Great isn't it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
6th September 2011, 14:00
yes mate 20 days to go and i will be there.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
6th September 2011, 17:04
Oh well its me again guys. I dont know which way to turn on this one, My fiance and her sister say i need a cenomar from there. Its driving me crazy. Im just wondering if requirments are different on each island? Her sister was married 2 years ago there and said her husband to be had to have one. My fiance is going to the NSO tomorrow to sort it. I will let you know how it goes.:doh.

lastlid
6th September 2011, 17:21
It could be that requirements are different for each island. I confess I don't know. BUT what I do know is that I didnt need a CENOMAR, only my wife needed a CENOMAR.

What I required was a local CNI from the UK embassy upon exchange for my UK CNI.

We were married in Manila.

Having said that, we ordered a CENOMAR for me by mistake. It was very easy. But we didnt need it.

andy222
6th September 2011, 17:42
Ah well they say you learn something new everyday. I will kill her and her sister if they are wrong.:laugher:

rusty
6th September 2011, 18:31
My understanding is that a CENOMAR is a document that is required for Philippine citizens to show they are free to marry and is obtained from the NSO.

The equivalent document for a UK citizen is the CNI, which if applied for from the Uk needs to be exchanged for a local copy at the British Embassy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mikey73
6th September 2011, 20:18
Thanks terpe yes i will learn a lot from the guys on here and i will help if i can. I know about the 3 month rule. The funny thing was when i went to apply for my CNI the registra repeatedly told me. We aree doing what we can for you but what happens over in the philippines is nothing to do with us. I found that strange. Maybe he was just covering his back. Arthur you must go to boracay paradise mate. Thats where I proposed to my gf. On a balcony in the MGM ONE. Ok Im a softie.:D

enjoyed boracay, asked minie to marry me when we where in the church there last september.

Terpe
6th September 2011, 20:36
My understanding is that a CENOMAR is a document that is required for Philippine citizens to show they are free to marry and is obtained from the NSO.

The equivalent document for a UK citizen is the CNI, which if applied for from the Uk needs to be exchanged for a local copy at the British Embassy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Andy, don't even think of killing them. There are always differences in everything even when there's not. Right?

Rusty is spot on.
CENOMAR is a Certificate of No Marriage Record for Pinoy.

I had a friend (Brit) who was told he MUST get CENOMAR he spent two days trying to sort it out and eventually was told he did not need it. These things can happen for all kinds of reasons.
These are the delays you need to avoid when working to a tight schedule.;)

Here is a useful site that can help understand many aspects of Civil Registrations in Pinas:-
http://www.census.gov.ph/data/civilreg/civapfaq.html

Well, if you don't need it, at least it might be useful to someone.

Sim11UK
6th September 2011, 20:41
Oh well its me again guys. I dont know which way to turn on this one, My fiance and her sister say i need a cenomar from there. Its driving me crazy. Im just wondering if requirments are different on each island? Her sister was married 2 years ago there and said her husband to be had to have one. My fiance is going to the NSO tomorrow to sort it. I will let you know how it goes.:doh.

This has caused a lot of confusion & head scratching :Erm: Most on here have not had to have a CENOMAR I'm talking men here, but last year a member KeithAngel got married on Cebu & was required to have one, as well as having his CNI...Maybe it is down to which Island you get married on?

Your fiance & sister may be right?

Terpe
6th September 2011, 20:50
enjoyed boracay, asked minie to marry me when we where in the church there last september.

mikey73, another romantic :xxgrinning--00xx3:
That's so nice.

Terpe
6th September 2011, 20:53
This has caused a lot of confusion & head scratching :Erm: Most on here have not had to have a CENOMAR I'm talking men here, but last year a member KeithAngel got married on Cebu & was required to have one, as well as having his CNI...Maybe it is down to which Island you get married on?

That's the whole thing sim. There's always gonna be something that's different. It's no good stamping around and shouting, just gotta go with the flow. Important is to find out really whats needed and comply with a smile.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
:icon_lol:

Sim11UK
6th September 2011, 21:01
That's the whole thing sim. There's always gonna be something that's different. It's no good stamping around and shouting, just gotta go with the flow. Important is to find out really whats needed and comply with a smile.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
:icon_lol:

That's what I always do when in the Philippines...just go with the flow. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
6th September 2011, 21:40
I had a friend (Brit) who was told he MUST get CENOMAR he spent two days trying to sort it out and eventually was told he did not need it. These things can happen for all kinds of reasons.

:anerikke: ... "only in da Phils", - as Fred would say.

DaveUK
7th September 2011, 12:30

We got married on Cebu at the start of last year and I didn't need a CENOMAR for myself. Although just to muddy the waters a little more, maybe it depends where on each island you get married as to whether the non-Filipino needs one! :Erm:

lastlid
7th September 2011, 12:48
....maybe it depends where on each island you get married as to whether the non-Filipino needs one! :Erm:
Or maybe depends on if there is an 'R' in the month....:icon_lol:

Sim11UK
7th September 2011, 13:26
We got married on Cebu at the start of last year and I didn't need a CENOMAR for myself. Although just to muddy the waters a little more, maybe it depends where on each island you get married as to whether the non-Filipino needs one! :Erm:

Yeah! probably an area thing, rather than Island specific, as such.

Here's his thread.
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/29149-The-Marriage-Licence

Maria B
7th September 2011, 14:23
hello:Hellooo:,

Cenomar is for the Filipino nationals who wish to get married in a foreign country or in the Philippines as issued from the Philippines National Statistics office. CNI is for the British/ foriegn nationals who wish to marry outside their country.

We also got married in Cebu & I am from Cebu & I haven't heard foreign spouses (to be) needed a Cenomar anywhere in the Phils as this is only for Pinay spouse's requirement. Foreign spouses needs only the CNI (either obtain in the UK or Brit Embassy-Mnl) stamped/ notarized by the British Honorary consul in Cebu by MS. Moya Jackson. (for cebu, phils)

One may asked a list of requirements for marriage license application from the registrar's office where the marriage vows will be held. It shows the list for foriegn national requirements.

I read KeithAngel's requirements too. I remembered once this one staff from the registration ofc doesn't understand what CNI is. I was also asked once that my foreign fiance' needs a CEnomar & I explained & insisted that it's only me who needs a Cenomar & not my now husband. Went to the head of the office & approved my husband's CNI alone (no Cenomar)... (after all Cenomar & CNI are both papers/cert of proof that shows unmarried/ singleness status-well everybody knows this).

But congratulations to you kiethangel...& congratulations to all members who are getting married this year.:Wave:

lastlid
7th September 2011, 15:12
... (after all Cenomar & CNI are both papers/cert of proof that shows unmarried/ singleness status-well everybody knows this).

That was my way of thinking too.

andy222
7th September 2011, 16:39
Just a update guys. I think my future wife and her sister are safe :D. She went to the NSO today and they told her I do need a cenomar for the marriage licence. She has got me one. I hope its all sorted now. By the way she lives in mindanao. I hope this helps other people out too. Thanks guys.

lastlid
7th September 2011, 21:25
Okay. Just goes to show that things can be different regionally.

I distinctly remember that the wedding arrangements were different in Cavite to Manila. As we initially started arranging the wedding in Cavite and found we couldn't fit it into the schedule so we ended up getting married in Manila where everything slotted into place okay. Procedures were a little different in each case.

andy222
8th September 2011, 17:08
Best advice is to always check. By the way nice picture mate.

lastlid
8th September 2011, 17:51
You mean my picture? Thats Boracay...Station 2. Supping a mango shake each. :D

Your turn soon.

steve monty
8th September 2011, 18:48
Alright Andy I just want to let you know something which happened to me, so hopefully you can avoid it. You might think its basic and obvious but make sure that every detail is correct all the way through the process. Even though all is ok on the marriage licence, the forms you sign at your wedding there might be mistakes. I don't want to put the frighteners on you. This is what happened to my wife and me, while going through the whole process we checked and re-checked all the details for the marriage licence. On the forms which we signed at church my wife's birth place was totally different. This has been needed to be rectified before applying for her spouse visa. We got married in december 2010, we were able to pick up on Monday just gone the 5th September the correct version!!

Another thing, are you getting your marriage licence in Boracay?

andy222
8th September 2011, 18:54
Thanks for the great advice Steve. No the marriage licence will be applied for in mindanao. My future wifes place of birth. Any advice is welcome steve. Thanks. After all you have been through it recently. Its getting close now and to be honest I am a bit on edge.

Terpe
8th September 2011, 20:26
I've said it before and I'll say it again, do check on the Certificate of Attendance in a pre-marital counseling and family planning seminar conducted by the Division of Maternal and Child Health at the Municipal/City Hall in the same municipality or city where the contracting parties applied for the marriage license.

andy222
9th September 2011, 06:31
I will check terpe. Just need to be there and pay p200. No need for counseling. My future wifes aunt knows people there. Thanks.