PDA

View Full Version : Clueless and confused on citizenship for daughter

Zoewe
7th September 2011, 04:01
hello,
i am a newbie in here,i have emailed the VFS office twice for they haven't answered my query and they responded to me in general reply to visit their website....if any body here has heard a similar case to my situation?
my 2nd letter is this:

does my daughter have entitlement to British citizenship and a passport already due to my husbands nationality? We have a son together as well who is my husband's, naturally for which we can apply for a British passport already. But the problem is my daughter due to her not being a blood relative to my husband. But my husband married me before my daughter's birth and also he has taken her as his own child since before she was born and already bear his family name in my daughter's birth record.
In Philippine law a child born after marriage is regarded as the fathers, does this apply with British law as well? The reason being that the children wouldn’t need a settlement visa because they are already British if that is the case. Hope you can answer this query for me.

Does ADOPTION come in this kind of state?

Terpe
7th September 2011, 09:47
Zoewe,
You really need to be communicating directly with the British Embassy on this issue.
VFS are only involved in Visa administration work on behalf of the British Embassy.

You can contact British Embassy here:-

Ambassador to the Republic of the Philippines:- Mr Stephen Lillie

Address:-
British Embassy Manila
120 Upper McKinley Road
McKinley Hill, Taguig City 1634

Switchboard: (+63) (2) 858 2200

Fax: (+63) (2) 858 2237 - Management
(+63) (2) 858 2305 - Visa
(+63) (2) 858 2371 - Commercial
(+63) (2) 858 2313 - Information
(+63) (2) 858 2342 - Consular
(+63) (2) 858 2216 - Chancery

Email:- ukinthephilippines@fco.gov.uk

Office hours:-
Monday-Friday: 08:00-16:45

There really isn't enough information to give a definitive answer here.
But from what you describe, your daughter is under 18 years old and could acquire British Citizenship via adoption in the Philippines by your British husband.
Alternatively, if you all settle here in UK, then after time she could automatically become eligible for naturalisation.
Sometimes the citizenship laws can be complicated depending on each case, and any changes in regulations, that's why I suggest you get up-to-date advice from the British Embassy based on your own personal circumstances as a family.

Good luck

Zoewe
7th September 2011, 10:19
That's what i thought so too...I will do or maybe hubby can do the query directly via his father in the UK, if it helps.
very well appreciated and I am grateful for the quick info Terpe. :)

Maria B
7th September 2011, 10:56
:Hellooo:Zoewe,

Welcome to this friendly forum.

To my understanding, child/ children who are born in the Philippines, with a Filipino natural father is a Filipino Citizen (even if the current spouse is holding another citizenshhip/ nationality).
If u are in the UK, a Filipino citizen mum married to a british national, as a natural mother of the child u can apply/ register the child with dual citizenship (fil/brit).

Are u planning to settle in the UK? Child/ Children under 18 yrs old can apply together with the mother for a settlement visa. This is the other way that child/ children can acquire a British citizenship & passport within 2 yrs of settlement. (unless if there's a new law now)

I am from Cebu but lives in the West Midlands. May I ask where are u in Cebu? I will try to email u (if it works for newbie) to phone a person who is an expert about this.
:Wave:

joebloggs
7th September 2011, 10:57
no i dont think she has any entitlement, she should be able to apply for registration as british (if under 18) the same time as you can apply for citizenship.

Maria B
7th September 2011, 11:05
:doh i'm so hard headed, i knew i can't sent pm u at the moment:icon_lol::Erm:

Arthur Little
7th September 2011, 11:05
Zoewe ... :welcomex: to the filipino/uk forum. I'd been thinking along the same lines as Terpe regarding the possibility of your husband - as joint legal guardian - adopting your daughter. But to be sure of the procedure, you'd really need to liaise with the British Embassy itself, as already suggested. Good luck with your long term plans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
7th September 2011, 11:18
no i dont think she has any entitlement, she should be able to apply for registration as british (if under 18) the same time as you can apply for citizenship.

Mmm :rolleyes: ... have just seen this post :yeahthat: - which must've crossed with mine - and it's certainly another :idea: worth considering as a feasible alternative.

Maria B
7th September 2011, 11:56
Zoewe,
You really need to be communicating directly with the British Embassy on this issue.
VFS are only involved in Visa administration work on behalf of the British Embassy.

Alternatively, if you all settle here in UK, then after time she could automatically become eligible for naturalisation.
Sometimes the citizenship laws can be complicated depending on each case, and any changes in regulations, that's why I suggest you get up-to-date advice from the British Embassy based on your own personal circumstances as a family.

Good luck

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Maria B
7th September 2011, 11:56

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::)

Zoewe
8th September 2011, 13:14
well, today i got a reply finally from the VFS and they answered my question
this is what the sent to me:

Your daughter can acquire British Citizenship after having the Settlement visa. You can apply to extend her stay in the UK near the end of her visa. After the extension, then you can apply for her to stay permanently in the UK then having been in the UK for 3 to 5 years she can apply for naturalisation. You may also directly contact the Consular Section for further and on hand details regarding this matter.

thank you guys for the ideas...you are so helpful indeed i do appreciate it all....thanks again.
will update for sure on how our processing goes...very grateful for people like you :))

Zoewe
8th September 2011, 17:31
hi maria B,
thanks for welcoming me in here, yes we are planning to settle in the UK. My husband will sort out things first, job etc.flying back in Nov....currently live in south cebu (minglanilla), and my husband lives in west midlands as well :)
thank you so much for you help...i am not sure if it's okay posting email ads here :Erm: