PDA

View Full Version : My husband wanted to adopt my child

Faye_and_Brian
8th September 2011, 10:52
Hi guys, I just receive my Biometrics Card Residence Permit today and Im so happy. Now, my British husband's next plan is to process in adopting my little one. She is 5 years old and a Filipina. The problem we have is my daughter's name has her biological father's name, under Philippines law we are allowed to use her father's name even though we're not married. What will be the requirements in adopting a child in the UK? Thanks in advance...

sars_notd_virus
8th September 2011, 17:09
hello faye please check this links
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Adoptionfosteringandchildrenincare/AdoptionAndFostering/DG_10021340
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Adoptionfosteringandchildrenincare/AdoptionAndFostering/DG_4019657

andy222
8th September 2011, 18:02
Yeah I will be the same but the difference is the kids fathers name is not on the birth citificate.

Faye_and_Brian
23rd September 2011, 09:34
Thanks for the website links Sars...

joebloggs
23rd September 2011, 10:57
i think adoption would be a long and maybe expensive process?. nothing wrong with being a stepfather, i've got 2 step kids myself, and if she wants she could change her name by deed poll, which is cheap and fairly easy to do (thou this does have a few disadvantasges over adoption)

grahamw48
23rd September 2011, 23:04
I have 2 lovely Filipino step kids too.

We have a brilliant relationship, and they are really close to my son, their half-brother.

I never saw the need to adopt. :Erm:

joebloggs
24th September 2011, 08:08
I have 2 lovely Filipino step kids too.

We have a brilliant relationship, and they are really close to my son, their half-brother.

I never saw the need to adopt. :Erm:

the only problem with being a step parent is you do not automatically have Parental responsibility, which is defined as ‘all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which, by law, a parent of a child has in relation to the child and their property’.Parental Responsibility is the bundle of rights and duties relating to a child. Duties include providing clothing, a home, an education and making sure no harm comes to the child.

grahamw48
24th September 2011, 09:36
This is true.

Fortunately I'm a person who doesn't need the govt. to tell me how to be a committed and responsible parent.

The only downside for us was that they couldn't travel without being accompanied by their mother (from the Phils).

joebloggs
24th September 2011, 10:38
This is true.

Fortunately I'm a person who doesn't need the govt. to tell me how to be a committed and responsible parent.

The only downside for us was that they couldn't travel without being accompanied by their mother (from the Phils).

there is also if your step children were involved in an accident, you could not give consent for treatment.

grahamw48
24th September 2011, 18:30
They did have a mother. ;)

How do forces families manage ?

My dad was in the Navy for the whole of my childhood, and was away for months at a time.

My mum had no problems bringing up her 4 kids with dad away. :)

joebloggs
24th September 2011, 20:06
They did have a mother. ;)

How do forces families manage ?

My dad was in the Navy for the whole of my childhood, and was away for months at a time.

My mum had no problems bringing up her 4 kids with dad away. :)

i take it they were your parents and not your step parent, a step parent does not have the same legal rights as a parent

Step parents and acquiring parental responsibility

The legal definition of Parental Responsibility is “All the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which by law a parent of a child has in relation to a child and his property.”

What does this mean in practice?

In practical terms, having parental responsibility as a step-parent allows you to be involved in decisions relating to the child's schooling, medical treatment, religion, whether they can marry (if they are under the age of 18), and how the child is disciplined.

Perhaps the most important day-to-day considerations related to medical treatment and how the child is disciplined.

Were the child to be involved in an accident, and need medical treatment, were their other parents unavailable, you would not have the right to make decisions about how the child was treated in the other parents' absence.

With regard to discipline, only an adult with parental responsibility may smack a child. For parties with parental responsibility there exists a defence in law of reasonable chastisement. For any other person, no such defence exists, and they could be charged with assault.

How can I gain parental responsibility for my step-child?

You can gain parental responsibility for your step-child in a number of ways and these are detailed below.

Section 112 of the Adoption and Children Act 2002 amended the Children Act 1989 to include a new section 4A which introduces the concept of Step-parent Parental Responsibility by agreement between the parent(s) with parental responsibility and the step-parent of the child. It also provides for a step-parent to be able to apply to the court for an order for parental responsibility.

http://www.thecustodyminefield.com/7.html