PDA

View Full Version : Family Visitor Visa - Mother In Law

lastlid
25th September 2011, 14:36
Hi. Having been through the agony of a Spouse visa, we are wondering if my wifes mother in law can visit us next year.

I notice that the visa we might aim for is a Family Visitor Visa which would be for up to 6 months. Costing considerably less than a Spouse visa I might add.

It is my belief that my wife's mother would have no intention of overstaying and perhaps might only visit for a few weeks. She has work back home in Phils, albeit a modest income.

Having had a quick squint on the UKBA website again their appears to be a heap of requirements that are quite difficult to get ones head around initially. But what are the main issues with such a visa? Anybody been involved in one of these visas?

I hope there is no language test as she would be stumped.:omg:

lastlid
25th September 2011, 14:41
I apologise to the Mods etc if I have this one in the wrong section......sorry.

grahamw48
25th September 2011, 15:07
Mother-in-law ?

Is this a joke ? :D

lastlid
25th September 2011, 15:11
Nope Graham. Its serious.....my wife is very close to her mom.

This is plan B if we dont visit Phils next year.

grahamw48
25th September 2011, 15:19
Well, mum-in-law is going to love you...always a good start. :)

The ex's mum was a lovely lady too, and did actually come to live with us for a while in the Phils after she became wheel-chair bound.

Terpe
25th September 2011, 15:38
Hi. Having been through the agony of a Spouse visa, we are wondering if my wifes mother in law can visit us next year.

I notice that the visa we might aim for is a Family Visitor Visa which would be for up to 6 months. Costing considerably less than a Spouse visa I might add.

It is my belief that my wife's mother would have no intention of overstaying and perhaps might only visit for a few weeks. She has work back home in Phils, albeit a modest income.

Having had a quick squint on the UKBA website again their appears to be a heap of requirements that are quite difficult to get ones head around initially. But what are the main issues with such a visa? Anybody been involved in one of these visas?

I hope there is no language test as she would be stumped.:omg:

No language test, that's the good news.
Family visit refusals allow appeal (not that it's good news, just means that the ECO MUST give a reason(s) for non-compliance within immigration rules).

Just need to show sufficient funding for this visit, and very importantly strong ties to home country to ensure leaving UK before expiry of visa.
Some very basic examples of ties can be a job, a house, a family, a bank account. "Ties" are the various aspects of your life that bind you to your country of residence (possessions, employment, social and family relationships)

The UKBA page specifically for UK Visit Visa's is here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/) and will help you to choose which category is the most suitable for you. It also explains what you are allowed to do while you are in the UK as a visitor.

I've completed a number of Family Visits over the years. Three in the past two years, and one who arrived end of July 2011 and will return home Oct 5th
I never had any refusals or issues. The key is total compliance and a good supporting letter. UKBA does not really stipulate what documents are needed. They say it's up to the sponsor.
On every case I have included:-
Bank statements - 6months
Pay slips - 6 months
Details of employment etc
Birth Certificate copies
Detailed supporting letter
Reasons to the visit at a specific time
Estimated duration of visit

Maybe OTT but never had a problems. Family visits are always so important better be safe.

You have plenty of time to review.

RickyR
25th September 2011, 15:47
Fully agree with Terpe, the real challenge is proving that she has reasons to return to the Philippines after the trip. It can be hard to put together evidence for this, but I'm sure you'll find way like Terpe suggests.

lastlid
25th September 2011, 17:30
On every case I have included:-
Bank statements - 6months
Pay slips - 6 months
Details of employment etc
Birth Certificate copies

Thanks. Will she need to supply her employment and bank statement details or is the focus on the sponsor again?

Seems a strange thing being considered a sponsor as it will only be a case of having the mother in law round for a few weeks.

Anyhow. Thanks very much, Terpe and Ricky. I was quite late discovering the forum when it came to our Spouse visa. This helps us plan ahead a bit more for a visit form the muvver in law.

Terpe
25th September 2011, 18:15
''''''''''''''' Will she need to supply her employment and bank statement details ................

Yep, all that stuff etc etc
+ reasons to return home.

lastlid
25th September 2011, 18:33
..................+ reasons to return home.

Yep. Its a genuine case with genuine reasons for her returning to Phils. So it shouldnt be too difficult to compile it on paper. Thanks.

Terpe
25th September 2011, 18:33
BTW you can find the Family Visa application form here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/vaf1b.pdf

Pete/London
25th September 2011, 21:43
We have had my Mum/Dad in laws over 5 times over 20 odd years and never had a problem with the visa`s. Showed bank statements, no payslips as Mum in law not working and Dad in law Jeepney driver, invitation letter including the promise to cover all expenses, apply for 6 month visa.
They have good reason to return home, such as rest of family being there, grandchildren etc.
They never stay the full 6 months as they get fed up with the relations over here wanting them to visit and stay, and then my sister in law over here also starts to get a bit jealous if they say they want to stay with us, so rather then say no to anyone they go home.:NoNo: Sad really.
So just put in a confident application , and good luck.

lastlid
25th September 2011, 21:50
They have good reason to return home, such as rest of family being there, grandchildren etc.

Yes. Thanks for that.

And in our case I imagine 3 or 4 weeks will be enough for the mother in law. Can see her wanting to be here for 6 months. And I cant see her boss at work giving her any more time away.

lastlid
25th September 2011, 21:51
Yes. Thanks for that.

Cant see her wanting to be here for 6 months. And I cant see her boss at work giving her any more time away.

Error...Cant see her wanting to stay 6 months.