PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Queil

lastlid
29th September 2011, 08:05
Looks like another typhoon in the making, following on from Pedring. This one looks destined to clip the top end of Luzon. Im tracking this one in particular as my wife is due to fly from T1 Manila at the weekend.

But hope that there is some respite for those who experienced devastation from Pedring.

rusty
29th September 2011, 08:17
http://tropicalstormrisk.com/

I use this link to track any storms.

It looks as if the latest storm will not be as bad as others.

good luck for your wife on her trip. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
29th September 2011, 09:56
www.typhoon2000.ph

Heres a good site also. Looks like it will clip the top of Luzon on sunday....depending on where it ends up in the elipse of uncertainty.

http://www.typhoon2000.ph/activetrack.gif

scott&ligaya
29th September 2011, 10:20
yes safe trip for your wife, there is some disruption at the airport due to a PAL staff dispute but I do not think is casusing much probllem, not sure if they now fly out of the new terminal

lastlid
29th September 2011, 10:26
yes safe trip for your wife, there is some disruption at the airport due to a PAL staff dispute but I do not think is casusing much probllem, not sure if they now fly out of the new terminal

Ah.... My wife is flying KLM so presumably she will be okay in that sense?

scott&ligaya
29th September 2011, 11:05
yes , I just saw a clip on the TFC TV patrol whilst we were following the typhoon news. they were ejecting staff who tried to do a sit in at the terminal, but as you say KLM and others airlines should be fine. I wonder if PAL will ever get up to standard enough to have it`s London/Europe routes back.

lastlid
29th September 2011, 11:10
yesI wonder if PAL will ever get up to standard enough to have it`s London/Europe routes back.

I see. I wondered why one cant get a direct flight from Manila etc......so they used to fly to the UK but not any more?

scott&ligaya
29th September 2011, 11:13
so I understand, perhaps one of the old timers may remember and also why they no longer do so

lastlid
29th September 2011, 11:15
I wonder if PAL will ever get up to standard enough to have it`s London/Europe routes back.

I have flown a range of airlines into Europe including Libyan Arab and TAG (Angolan airlines) so PAL must have been a bit naughty at some point?

Englishman2010
29th September 2011, 20:33
I have flown a range of airlines into Europe including Libyan Arab and TAG (Angolan airlines) so PAL must have been a bit naughty at some point?

I'm not 100% on this, but believe it is a EU wide ban on PAL flying into EU airspace due to it's poor maintenance record. I would have thought the US authorities were as strict as the EU, but PAL are able to fly into America.

Then again, it could be financial, the EU policy makers might have told the Fil authorities that they were going to tax them on all the 750 peso exit fees they charged all Europeans when we leave the Phil's:icon_lol:

lastlid
30th September 2011, 07:26
I would have thought the US authorities were as strict as the EU, but PAL are able to fly into America.

Interesting that you say that as the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico is a good example of the US being behind Europe on safety standards.

Englishman2010
30th September 2011, 07:40
Interesting that you say that as the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico is a good example of the US being behind Europe on safety standards.

That's a good point:xxgrinning--00xx3:
One of my best friends was First Mate on the Deepwater Horizon, but got made up to Captain on a rig in The South China Sea a couple of years before the disaster. Last time we met up in Singapore, he was talking to another Ex-pat mariner and myself about safety on board rigs and commented that British/EU H&S rules were far stricter than US Rules. However, the strictest rules were Australian, they were based on British H&S rules, but had been toughened up. Consequently, he found that any Aussie crew he had were useless as they wouldn't do any work as it was a breach of H&S rules.

lastlid
30th September 2011, 08:21
Consequently, he found that any Aussie crew he had were useless as they wouldn't do any work as it was a breach of H&S rules.

:icon_lol: