PDA

View Full Version : When can you apply british citizenship?

scottishbride
27th November 2011, 22:44
Hello everyone.. Just a question.. I've got my ILR recently last 24 Nov. 2011. I know this might be so advance to ask, but I would like to know.. When will be my qualifying period to apply citizenship? 1 year after? But is it the date that they issue my Settlement visa? or the day you arrive here in the UK? I will really appreciate any reply. Thank you.. :)

Terpe
27th November 2011, 22:55
Hello everyone.. Just a question.. I've got my ILR recently last 24 Nov. 2011. I know this might be so advance to ask, but I would like to know.. When will be my qualifying period to apply citizenship? 1 year after? But is it the date that they issue my Settlement visa? or the day you arrive here in the UK? I will really appreciate any reply. Thank you.. :)

For general requirements of British Citizenship look here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship

For detailed requirements as spouse or partner look here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/spouseorcivilpartnerofcitizen

The Application Form and the Application Guide can be dowmloaded here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation

Generally these are the requirements:-

you are aged 18 or over; and
you are of sound mind; and
you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and
you have sufficient knowledge of life in the United Kingdom; and
you are of good character; and
you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen; and
you meet the residential requirements; or
your husband, wife or civil partner is in Crown or designated service outside the United Kingdom.

General residential requirements

have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period

BTW, you can count residence from the first time you arrive to UK, even if it was with Fiance(e) visa.

Unless, it changes next April :Erm:

Moy
27th November 2011, 23:12
October this month ive read on a news that"Migrants will be tested on British history before they get a UK Passport..David Cameron announced..

cant rem the name of the news paper though:doh:rolleyes:

Moy
27th November 2011, 23:13
Unless, it changes next April

:omg::omg: nooo.pls..thats the time where i will apply for ILR..:bigcry::D:yikes:

grahamw48
27th November 2011, 23:19
October this month ive read on a news that"Migrants will be tested on British history before they get a UK Passport..David Cameron announced..

cant rem the name of the news paper though:doh:rolleyes:

Pah !

Most of our school-leavers couldn't pass that now. :rolleyes:

Moy
27th November 2011, 23:25
Pah !

Most of our school-leavers couldn't pass that now. :rolleyes:

well..obviously we are not school leavers graham:cwm24::D 10 years ago..when i finish the college:laugher::yikes: :icon_lol:

scottishbride
27th November 2011, 23:47

cant rem the name of the news paper though:doh:rolleyes: Just read it, I guess you can't blame them. The number of immigrants here raise sky high. Oh well, I guess I need to study this test again. Done, driving test, Life in the UK test, so hope this will be the last test! :)

scottishbride
27th November 2011, 23:54
well..obviously we are not school leavers graham:cwm24::D 10 years ago..when i finish the college:laugher::yikes: :icon_lol:

Agree ! :) Actually most of the Filipinas got a degree. I myself graduated BSC Marketing, just unfortunate it is not recognize here.. :NoNo: :NoNo:

grahamw48
27th November 2011, 23:58
I'm a blackbelt in Origamy....but only on paper. :)

scottishbride
27th November 2011, 23:59
For general requirements of British Citizenship look here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship

For detailed requirements as spouse or partner look here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/spouseorcivilpartnerofcitizen

The Application Form and the Application Guide can be dowmloaded here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation

Generally these are the requirements:-

you are aged 18 or over; and
you are of sound mind; and
you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and
you have sufficient knowledge of life in the United Kingdom; and
you are of good character; and
you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen; and
you meet the residential requirements; or
your husband, wife or civil partner is in Crown or designated service outside the United Kingdom.

General residential requirements

have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period

BTW, you can count residence from the first time you arrive to UK, even if it was with Fiance(e) visa.

Unless, it changes next April :Erm:

Thank you for the information Terpe, I guess I need to wait on April for the new changes.

scottishbride
28th November 2011, 00:00
I'm a blackbelt in Origamy....but only on paper. :):icon_lol::icon_lol: You are so funny Graham!

scottishbride
28th November 2011, 00:19
:omg::omg: nooo.pls..thats the time where i will apply for ILR..:bigcry::D:yikes:

Don't worry Moy, Hopefully we will not cover by the new changes.. Hopefully....;)

gWaPito
28th November 2011, 00:50
I'm a blackbelt in Origamy....but only on paper. :)

Just as well be Apparently there worthless here. What a waste.
Ive a motto, keep death off the roads. Only one driver in our house.

grahamw48
28th November 2011, 01:43
It is a waste.

There are so many clever Filipinas who deserve a chance to use their qualifications, and could probably wipe the floor intelligence and education-wise with some of the home-grown dullards in good jobs here. :rolleyes:

My own step-daughter got 14 GCSE 'O' levels and 4 A-levels after arriving here at 7 years old and not even speaking English....plus another 3 years away in the Phils from 2000-2003.

Moy
28th November 2011, 14:50
Agree ! :) Actually most of the Filipinas got a degree. I myself graduated BSC Marketing, just unfortunate it is not recognize here.. :NoNo: :NoNo:

wow same here BSC MARKETING graduate:omg:..but what have i got HOME economics at HOME WITH 3 kids:laugher::yikes::icon_lol:

ViesVies
28th November 2011, 16:02
hahaha il join the club,same here BSC Administration graduate but at home managing the household...(laundry,dishwashing,etc).no regrets though

Moy
28th November 2011, 18:12
:xxgrinning--00xx3::D:icon_lol:

Terpe
28th November 2011, 19:04
Thank you for the information Terpe, I guess I need to wait on April for the new changes.

I do hope it won't change, or at least not change much.
But there is a lot of pressure being applied to increase the residence time.

Fingers crossed eh,

Terpe
28th November 2011, 19:07
:xxgrinning--00xx3::D:icon_lol:

It's important work and I'm sure you do great job too.
I'm proud of your efforts Mrs Moy

Your time to go out into the world and work will come soon enough.

scottishbride
28th November 2011, 21:10
I do hope it won't change, or at least not change much.
But there is a lot of pressure being applied to increase the residence time.

Fingers crossed eh, Yes, Fingers crossed. I bet it's because of the relax checks and high figures shown last 2009. I can't believe it was almost 500,000+++ Immigrants entered in the UK in 2009( Am one of them ;) ) I learned from the newspaper.

Arthur Little
28th November 2011, 21:33
ive read on a news that "Migrants will be tested on British history" before they get a UK Passport..David Cameron announced..

... guess you seem to be confusing this :yeahthat: with the necessity to take the 'Life In the UK Test' [Citzenship Exam] - in which ALL candidates must attain a standard 75% passmark or above - before becoming eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave To Remain.

joebloggs
29th November 2011, 07:12
wow same here BSC MARKETING graduate:omg:..but what have i got HOME economics at HOME WITH 3 kids:laugher::yikes::icon_lol:

well Ros at least you should know how to sell your kids :D , i've tired on ebay :NoNo:

:xxparty-smiley-004:

one degree my misses doesn't have 'HOME ECONOMICS' she can burn a pan of water :cwm24::Help1:

maybe she will hire you as a chef :rolleyes:

Moy
29th November 2011, 11:38
well Ros at least you should know how to sell your kids

:yikes: i would rather sell the husband and maybe you JOE..youll be a more expensive than a kids i guess:laugher:

Moy
29th November 2011, 12:18
maybe she will hire you as a chef

no chance JOE as im very expensive chef:laugher::D:yikes: to be hired and besides you cant afford me itself:Rasp::cwm24::laugher::icon_lol::action-smiley-081: by you

joebloggs
29th November 2011, 14:19
your right filipina's are not cheap :cwm24:i have a very expensive wife shes cost me alot of money :Help1:

maybe your right, i couldn't eat what you cook anyway :cwm24:, have you ever made goat heads soup :rolleyes:

Moy
29th November 2011, 19:13
your right filipina's are not cheap :cwm24:i have a very expensive wife shes cost me alot of money :Help1:

maybe your right, i couldn't eat what you cook anyway :cwm24:, have you ever made goat heads soup :rolleyes:

hmm not cheap:yikes::cwm24::rolleyes: i doubt so..if your wife is too expensive for you:D..it just means you weren't lucky enough to find the cheap one:cwm24::icon_lol: the time you decide to tie knot:laugher:
am sure you coudnt eat the food:icon_lol: that im about to cook as i dont dream to cook for someone who got acne/ or diseases in their tongue/:Rasp::laugher::omg::D or mouth
the recipe that will suit you JOE should be cockless :doh:Rasp:mussel:laugher::hubbahubba::icon_lol::cwm3::D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

peace JOE:Help1::D

Moy
29th November 2011, 19:15
It's important work and I'm sure you do great job too.
I'm proud of your efforts Mrs Moy

Your time to go out into the world and work will come soon enough.

thanks for the acknowledgement MR..TERPE via"M":D:xxgrinning--00xx3:
am sure you have understand my feeling:):heartshape1:

acs
25th July 2012, 08:37
the qualifying period is the year after your ilr was granted scottishbride, so if your ilr was granted on the 12/11/2011 you apply on 13/11/2012, that is if you come here on spouse visa that would be your third year and if your on fiancee visa i am not sure though if your 6 months prior to flr is counted ( for the old rule). Hope this helps.

scottishbride
25th July 2012, 11:11
the qualifying period is the year after your ilr was granted scottishbride, so if your ilr was granted on the 12/11/2011 you apply on 13/11/2012, that is if you come here on spouse visa that would be your third year and if your on fiancee visa i am not sure though if your 6 months prior to flr is counted ( for the old rule). Hope this helps. I came here on spouse visa. Really I can apply after a year I've been granted ILR ( November?)? But I am a bit confuse...:Erm: Because they said you have to be here 3 years right? I arrived here in UK December 18, 2009. My ILR granted earlier because you can apply 28 days before Dec 18, 2009. So That's why I applied November I counted back 28 days. Are you sure this is not a problem? looking forward to rapid response.

scottishbride
25th July 2012, 11:21
Oh and one more thing.. Do I need my husband passport? Because it said in the Application, it is either his birth certificate or Passport. I am not sure if he will be home in November. :NoNo:

Arthur Little
25th July 2012, 13:45
Do I need my husband passport?

Yes ... BOTH yours AND your husband's Birth Certs AND respective Passports, Melissa. But, don't worry :nono-1-1: ... the documents you take with you to the NCS in Edinburgh (I'm assuming you're still intending to avail yourselves of this excellent facility!) will be returned to you immediately thereafter - with the exception of your application. :)

grahamw48
25th July 2012, 14:04
I remember one time I needed my ex-wife's passport when I was in the Phils and she was in the UK.

She sent it to me by DHL and then I sent it back to her the same way.

Cheaper than an airfare !

acs
25th July 2012, 16:24
In the guide an naturalization for british citizen it says there that if one is a spouse of a british citizen, one has to be in the uk for 3 years before they apply or else they will not meet the requirements (though in the span of 3 years one is allowed to leave the uk for certain numbers of days before applying for ilr and also for citizenship).
As in your case, due to the 28 days that was being allowed to apply your ilr was granted earlier. In my opinion i think to be in a safe position, so that the one who will process your application for citizenship will have no excuse to refuse you, better to really adhere to the ruling and that is 3 years period beginning when you arrived here in the uk regardless of the granting of your ilr.
I done mine by post you see, so my ilr was granted a few days after my 2 years here in the uk then, so my citizenship was granted a year after my ilr. So to be safe apply on 19/12/2012. As for the birth certificate if you do it by post with no checking services better to send passport as well as birth certificate, the uk border will have all your relevant documents and it eases your mind too that you provided them with everything. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

acs
25th July 2012, 16:51
and if you avail yourself of the checking services in edinburgh,you don't need to worry, like what Arthur said, all your documents will be handed back to you apart from your application form which they will forward to the uk border agency.

scottishbride
25th July 2012, 17:33
Yes ... BOTH yours AND your husband's Birth Certs AND respective Passports, Melissa. But, don't worry :nono-1-1: ... the documents you take with you to the NCS in Edinburgh (I'm assuming you're still intending to avail yourselves of this excellent facility!) will be returned to you immediately thereafter - with the exception of your application. :) Thanks Arthur! I panicked so I called Ate Myrna ealier on to find out. :) I am a worrier you know... :doh

scottishbride
25th July 2012, 17:34
In the guide an naturalization for british citizen it says there that if one is a spouse of a british citizen, one has to be in the uk for 3 years before they apply or else they will not meet the requirements (though in the span of 3 years one is allowed to leave the uk for certain numbers of days before applying for ilr and also for citizenship).
As in your case, due to the 28 days that was being allowed to apply your ilr was granted earlier. In my opinion i think to be in a safe position, so that the one who will process your application for citizenship will have no excuse to refuse you, better to really adhere to the ruling and that is 3 years period beginning when you arrived here in the uk regardless of the granting of your ilr.
I done mine by post you see, so my ilr was granted a few days after my 2 years here in the uk then, so my citizenship was granted a year after my ilr. So to be safe apply on 19/12/2012. As for the birth certificate if you do it by post with no checking services better to send passport as well as birth certificate, the uk border will have all your relevant documents and it eases your mind too that you provided them with everything. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Thanks. It is finally clear to me now.

scottishbride
25th July 2012, 17:36
I remember one time I needed my ex-wife's passport when I was in the Phils and she was in the UK.

She sent it to me by DHL and then I sent it back to her the same way.

Cheaper than an airfare ! Thanks Graham. I think he is requesting to his company to be home on my british citizenship.

Arthur Little
25th July 2012, 17:38
I am a worrier you know... :doh

... ME too!! :yeahthat:

gWaPito
25th July 2012, 17:42
Alot of mileage in this one :rolleyes: